Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phrases for English and French

• 24-06-2013 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey I was just wondering if anyone has any phrases or words that would help gain marks for the leaving cert in English and French?
    Like 'autante que je sache' for French or 'the euphonic light cast upon the lake' for English.

Please, please, please anything that you came across might help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭3raser10

google "french phrases for leaving cert" and the same for english
    there is nothing much i have personally to help you more sorry! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

voulez vous couchez avec moi

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'the euphonic light cast upon the lake'

Euphonic is to do with sound is it not? I don't think that would gain you marks in English.

Stick to normal language. Over flowery misplaced phrases will do you no favours as they just show you don't know what they mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sarahmay17

Oh sorry that's supposed to be 'euphoric' and I should tell you I've been getting 'A's in English throughout second level so please, don't try and belittle me for not being greatly pedantic in my writing! Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

Sarahmay17 wrote: »
    Hey I was just wondering if anyone has any phrases or words that would help gain marks for the leaving cert in English and French?
    Like 'autante que je sache' for French or 'the euphonic light cast upon the lake' for English.

Please, please, please anything that you came across might help

I reckon this is an acceptable strategy for French, given the make-up of the paper and the fact it probably isn't your first language. But for English!? If you've been consistently getting As in second level as you described the argument for this method of learning is even lesser.

Why don't you just read? That'll improve your syntax as well as vocabulary. If you encounter words you don't understand, look them up and incorporate them appropriately in your work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Sarahmay17 wrote: »
    Oh sorry that's supposed to be 'euphoric' and I should tell you I've been getting 'A's in English throughout second level so please, don't try and belittle me for not being greatly pedantic in my writing! Sorry
    An A student kinda should be pedantic though...spurious wasn't belittling you, but I did think the same thing when I read the word euphonic. I wouldn't even put euphoric in there really. I think you have the right idea though, learning off phrases for English helped me a fair bit too, if I find my list I'll post it but I don't know if they were on my old laptop or not. :o
    I reckon this is an acceptable strategy for French, given the make-up of the paper and the fact it probably isn't your first language. But for English!? If you've been consistently getting As in second level as you described the argument for this method of learning is even lesser.

Why don't you just read? That'll improve your syntax as well as vocabulary. If you encounter words you don't understand, look them up and incorporate them appropriately in your work.
    For the short story (which I'd assume the OP is doing from the sentence given in the first post), learning off phrases is a strategy which is very underrated. :L It's hard to write under pressure and it's nice to be able to drop a fancy phrase in when it's appropriate, rather than have to think about how to come up with a new line on the spot. Much better than the whole crap that people do learning off full essays anyway, though of course reading etc is invaluable too. :)

Advertisement