Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plants 'do maths' and 'seen doing quantum physics'

• 24-06-2013 10:12pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22991838
    Plants have a built-in capacity to do maths, which helps them regulate food reserves at night, research suggests.

UK scientists say they were "amazed" to find an example of such a sophisticated arithmetic calculation in biology.

Mathematical models show that the amount of starch consumed overnight is calculated by division in a process involving leaf chemicals, a John Innes Centre team reports in e-Life journal.

Plants 'seen doing quantum physics'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22996054
    But the new study has been done painstakingly, aiming lasers at single molecules of the light-harvesting machinery to show how light is funnelled to the so-called reaction centres within plants where light energy is converted into chemical energy.

What has surprised even the researchers behind the research is not only that these coherences do indeed exist, but that they also seem to change character, always permitting photons to take the most efficient path into the reaction centres.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Read this with interest, as I had devoted a lot of effort into understanding how photosynthesic energy transduction works... ... while saying this, I hate the way that they've advertised it as plants 'doing' math or quantum physics

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

re photosynthesis

Early Earth Was Purple, Study Suggests
    http://www.livescience.com/1398-early-earth-purple-study-suggests.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Very interesting! I do believe there are still some purple plants in existence today, but I had never wondered about the differences between them and the green ones.

Has anyone ever looked at using photosynthesis on a grand scale to harness energy for human use...? Probably miniscule amounts of energy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Kevster wrote: »
    Very interesting! I do believe there are still some purple plants in existence today, but I had never wondered about the differences between them and the green ones.

Has anyone ever looked at using photosynthesis on a grand scale to harness energy for human use...? Probably miniscule amounts of energy
    Photosynthesis in plants is ~1% efficient at best when you take into account all the loses, like plants respiring at night.

The best solar panels are over 44%.

The trick of photosysthesis is splitting water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Photosynthesis in plants is ~1% efficient at best when you take into account all the loses, like plants respiring at night.

The best solar panels are over 44%.

The trick of photosysthesis is splitting water

That's hyrdroylsis right? 1/2 oxygen molecule + 2h + 2e- = h2o .
    How does this actually happen ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement