Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning a .22 Spring Air Rifle

Options
  • 24-06-2013 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Well just wanting to know how do ye cleaning your air rifle?, cleaning patches, bore snake or what? :D

Noticing alot of smoke coming from the barrel after each shot just needs a good clean id say!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

I haven't cleaned mine yet dude, but there will obviously be lead foulings ,seen as we have similar rifles, get a .22 rifle cleaning kit about 25 quid, patches an solvent , what I love about em of course is minimal maintenance! : )

how many rounds u put thru it?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Steve012 wrote: »
    I haven't cleaned mine yet dude, but there will obviously be lead foulings ,seen as we have similar rifles, get a .22 rifle cleaning kit about 25 quid, patches an solvent , what I love about em of course is minimal maintenance! : )

how many rounds u put thru it?

There was a small bit of smoke in mine at the start fired 600-700 rounds through it.

The smoke is quite bad now needs a good clean somebody sent me a free bore snake thanks u noe who u are :) People say there is no maintenance but there us just run a bore snake or a few patches through it every tin id say! :D

Mines a hw97k whats urs? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Iv'e shot about the same 700 thru HW90, no smoke dude, maybe your barrell has seen more pellets than mine, did you buy yours second hand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

1shot16 wrote: »
    Well just wanting to know how do ye cleaning your air rifle?, cleaning patches, bore snake or what? :D

Noticing alot of smoke coming from the barrel after each shot just needs a good clean id say!

;) you are 'dieseling' ie there is oil in the compression chamber which is actually igniting for a fraction of a second. It smells nice but isn't good for the gun and will send the shots off target. Strip the gun and give the chamber a good clean. I use wax to protect the metal - no fear of oil leaking into the wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭slug gun

After buying a new springer or re-lubing a second hand one, a few smokey shots may be experienced as the rifle beds in...but this should go after a tin of pellets. If not, internals have been incorrectly lubed!

There are two common problems usually seen; over lubrication of piston/spring and allowing lube ahead of piston seal.

If you are competent and have a proper spring compressor it is possible to strip safely and relube correctly. Factory rifles are usually dispatched with too much grease(also low grade) in the hopes of keeping internals fresh until sold.

I recommend that all springers, new & second hand, be stripped, all the existing grease/oil removed and any burrs carefully removed. A slight wipe of the piston body & synthetic washer with Abbey LT2 or similar...taking care not to allow any beyond the sides of the washer. Then a light smear of airgun tar to the spring coils and guide. Do not lubricate the inside of the compression tube. No oil is needed. Rebuild and run in with a tin of pellets and that's it:)

• Advertisement

Steve012 wrote: »
    Iv'e shot about the same 700 thru HW90, no smoke dude, maybe your barrell has seen more pellets than mine, did you buy yours second hand ?

Yea lad 2nd hand good bita smoke though id say the person who owned it before me didnt clean it very often!

Ran a dry patch through it no smoke now :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Lads,

Don't feed the trolls. Grab a can of spray and apply liberally.

tumblr_levnf3ycE91qc9yxvo1_500.jpg
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement