Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to bottling.

Options
  • 24-06-2013 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭

Gah, just did this for the first time ever and realised that it's something I'll grow tired of quickly.

Anyone here use any alternatives?

What about a mini keg if I'm a 'beer every other night' kind of drinker. Any problems with degradation or anything?

I do like a nice bottle but keg and co2 sound appealing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

How do you bottle? There are a number of time savers:

* bottle brush & bottle tree. You wont know yourself.
    * plastic screw cap pet bottles. Quicker to cap, and practical for determining carbonation too
    * batch priming. Put all your priming sugar in a small amount of solution in a second empty fermenter. Rack onto it, and bottle from there.

Some other basic tips, are to have a small light so that you can see the fluid rising in the bottles to prevent messes. A small chair or stool for comfort too.

The best time saver is to offer to train a friend to do it.

I would like to invest in minikegs for parties and such, but I dont see them as being practical extended use, and they are heavy on the CO2 bulbs. A cornelius keg is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Yea I had them mini kegs for a while and I wasn’t mad into them, main gripe was the lack of carbonation in the beer due to the priming restrictions. I’ve gone back to bottles using a big 100l container to place the bottles in, a bottle tree, a bottle rinser, and the cooper’s bottles. I know the pet bottles don’t seem right at first but are handier for day to day brewing, although if I was doing something special that I wanted to give away id probably use swing tops. I think if you have the space and money corny kegs are the way to go though in the long run, there is a guy on adverts does them for very competitive prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I have two tips that have saved me a heap of time (beyond the bottle rinser, bottle tree etc. which are also very helpful)

1) 2L PET bottles. My wife likes sprite zero, so we have a lot of those knocking around. You can use them over 2 days without them going flat.
    2) I cut a length of siphon / racking tubing, put it on the tap and use it like a little bottler. This is super fast compared to the little bottler. It fills the 2L bottles in around 10 seconds.

Bottling is such a pain. I hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Khannie wrote: »
    I have two tips that have saved me a heap of time (beyond the bottle rinser, bottle tree etc. which are also very helpful)

1) 2L PET bottles. My wife likes sprite zero, so we have a lot of those knocking around. You can use them over 2 days without them going flat.
    2) I cut a length of siphon / racking tubing, put it on the tap and use it like a little bottler. This is super fast compared to the little bottler. It fills the 2L bottles in around 10 seconds.

Bottling is such a pain. I hate it.

I re-used a couple of Lidl Saskia sparkling water PET Bottles (1.5L) for some turbo cider there about two weeks ago. First time but it worked out really well, especially if you're sharing as me and the Mrs regularly do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You are probably going to want to go the corny keg route eventually. It requires a little investment but it's so worth it.
    End result is a kegerator such as mine. You do need the space for a fridge.
    Of course the kegerator is not necessary, only to keep the beer cold. You can use ambient temperature if you like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Thanks for the advice everyone. Have started buying only swing top beers in the off license these days. They've nice Pilsner and Doppelbock (anyone ever drink Doppelbock? Seriously nice) so I can justify it. Up to about 14 of these so light get some online or just work my way up to 46.

Batch priming and bottle tree seem the way to go.

Anyone any notes on batch priming?

Keg looks great but mightn't drink enough to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

gosplan wrote: »

Anyone any notes on batch priming?.

I Batch prime in secondary bottling bucket ,i disolve in boiling water 80-100g for ale or stout ,or 130 - 150g for lager ,then add to bottling bucket ,then add 23ltr of beer on top of that.and bottle from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

tteknulp wrote: »
    I Batch prime in secondary bottling bucket ,i disolve in boiling water 80-100g for ale or stout ,or 130 - 150g for lager ,then add to bottling bucket ,then add 23ltr of beer on top of that.and bottle from there.

Thanks.

Should I increase the quantity if priming with spraymalt?

I stir this up in bottling bucket then, right?

Thanks.

Spraymalt may need 15-20 %.more as not as fermentable ,stir slowly with sanitized paddle ,dont create air

Devi wrote: »
    Yea I had them mini kegs for a while and I wasn’t mad into them, main gripe was the lack of carbonation in the beer due to the priming restrictions.

I would love to use minikegs, or anything similar (5L water carrier?) if I could adapt it for a cask style hand pump.

I make enough english ale style session beer, that would be great for picnics and bbqs if I could serve it that way. No waste of co2 bulbs, no gas to carry, no messing about. It needs to be finished that day or the next, but handy all round, and I can prime as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Thanks.

All spraymalts will do is increase the cost of your beer and maybe leave a krausen ring on your bottle. There is no perceptible taste effect from using white sugar , you are only using a couple of grams per bottle after all

sharingan wrote: »
    I would love to use minikegs, or anything similar (5L water carrier?) if I could adapt it for a cask style hand pump.

I make enough english ale style session beer, that would be great for picnics and bbqs if I could serve it that way. No waste of co2 bulbs, no gas to carry, no messing about. It needs to be finished that day or the next, but handy all round, and I can prime as usual.

Ah don’t get me wrong they definitely have a place, just didn’t suit me. I sold my system on averts recently, it’s a pity you didn’t see it as it was pretty new and heavily discounted compared to retail prices.

All spraymalts will do is increase the cost of your beer and maybe leave a krausen ring on your bottle. There is no perceptible taste effect from using white sugar , you are only using a couple of grams per bottle after all

Have to agree, I’ve personally never tasted the cider taste that is associated with dextrose when priming. Have tasted it when in large amounts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

If you build up a stash of swingtops when you finish a bottle just rinse it out give it a squirt of starsan (i keep a diluted spray bottle next to the sink) and seal it up. That way you have a rotation of clean sanitised bottles ready to go.

Spraymalt, especially wheat spraymalt can have a massive difference in head quality and retention. Worked amazingly for an IPA I did a few months back - head lasted an hour (until I finished it). Slower to carbonate though, and if your yeast is already struggling, its probably better to give it something easier to eat through.

Devi wrote: »
    Ah don’t get me wrong they definitely have a place, just didn’t suit me. I sold my system on averts recently, it’s a pity you didn’t see it as it was pretty new and heavily discounted compared to retail prices.

Thanks, but I would never commit to them, unless I could figure out a pump system that used just regular air, and was pressurised by pump action.

Anyone any notes on batch priming?

Some notes I wrote up when I did an extract beer a while back:

http://thesumofallbeers.tumblr.com/post/54015840254/batch-priming-illustrated-guide
    Keg looks great but mightn't drink enough to justify it.

Thats my reason for not going keg - with one slight difference - keg encourages greater consumption, and I dont need any more temptation.

sharingan wrote: »
    Some notes I wrote up when I did an extract beer a while back:

http://thesumofallbeers.tumblr.com/post/54015840254/batch-priming-illustrated-guide .

Great write up ,good info on batch priming etc.

Im sure many users will find it useful 8-)

tteknulp wrote: »
    Great write up ,good info on batch priming etc.

Im sure many users will find it useful 8-)

Thanks. If I was to give one bit of advice - buy siphon clips. They are awesome. You will wonder why they even sell siphons without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Newgrange Warrior

Gah, just did this for the first time ever and realised that it's something I'll grow tired of quickly.

What about a mini keg if I'm a 'beer every other night' kind of drinker. Any problems with degradation or anything?

I recently converted to the mini kegs. Going well and perfect for bbq's. I picked up the kit at Home Brew Company. Sometimes the keg can loose the gas over a few days but is only a matter attaching a new CO2 bulb. No issue in regards taste/degradation.

It is important to consider refrigeration as a keg with the tap will have to stand upwards in the fridge if u plan leaving it for few days (note I put one sidewards in the fridge and it leaked :mad:).

The kegs do need a thorough clean between drinking/filling. I recently purchased a new keg tap and cooler here- http://www.fass-frisch.com/english/produkte/produkt.htm Postage from Germany c.20E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭scrapsmac

Gosplan, saw a dude on another forum fit a second tap to his fermenter. Such a simple addition but very effective.

scrapsmac wrote: »
    Gosplan, saw a dude on another forum fit a second tap to his fermenter. Such a simple addition but very effective.

Tell me more....what's the point of the second tap?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭scrapsmac

Khannie wrote: »
    Tell me more....what's the point of the second tap?

Basically It Is A Second Tap With Little Bottler Attached. So You Can fill Two Bottles At Once When You're Bottling. Simple But Very Effective Given The Minimal cost Involved With A Second Tap

scrapsmac wrote: »
    Basically It Is A Second Tap With Little Bottler Attached. So You Can fill Two Bottles At Once When You're Bottling. Simple But Very Effective Given The Minimal cost Involved With A Second Tap

Genius. Thanks.

Advertisement