Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Lancôme Dolls Eyes worth the hype?

• 24-06-2013 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

I have been looking for a new mascara. I have been around on severals. The only ones I haven't tried are Dolls Eyes, Chanel, Guerlin, most of the high-end brands really as I just don't know if they are worth the money.

I want one that's waterproof, separates, lifts, curls.

I have tried Benefit They're Real but I must be the only female on the planet that wasn't impressed.

Anyone any recommendations or reviews of Lancôme/Chanel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 garglegar

I have been looking for a new mascara. I have been around on severals. The only ones I haven't tried are Dolls Eyes, Chanel, Guerlin, most of the high-end brands really as I just don't know if they are worth the money.

I want one that's waterproof, separates, lifts, curls.

I have tried Benefit They're Real but I must be the only female on the planet that wasn't impressed.

Anyone any recommendations or reviews of Lancôme/Chanel?

I use Lancôme hypnose drama and I find it excellent, never tried the waterproof one though. It's expensive but it lasts for ages so I don't mind spending a bit extra as its so good. I also am not a fan of benefit they're real, found it was quite smudgy.... If u go to Lancôme counter get them to try it on you and you'll see if it suits you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Have you tried Dior Show? The stuffs amazing! Mascara is so annoying cause you can't really try before you buy and its so personal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I hated doll eyes.

Also hated they're real so I'm a kindred spirit! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Have you tried Dior Show? The stuffs amazing! Mascara is so annoying cause you can't really try before you buy and its so personal!

I've heard a lot about Dior Show, is it waterproof, I work-out a lot and sweat is a major issue for me. Black cheeks are not a good look! Also how much is it?

I hated doll eyes.

Also hated they're real so I'm a kindred spirit! :)

Glad to hear someone other than me wasn't impressed. What did you hate about dolls eyes?

• Advertisement

Glad to hear someone other than me wasn't impressed. What did you hate about dolls eyes?

I have quite long lashes so I wanted curl and volume and it didn't give me those. It made my lashes long, hard and spikey. I hated it, threw it out after about 2 weeks and went back to good old reliable max factor 2000 calorie.

The ONLY high end mascara a I've ever liked we're Chanel inimitable, Dior maximeyes (discontinued :( ) and Clinique all of their mascara a are good quality :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Hated Doll Eyes too. So much came out on the brush, it was near impossible to apply.

I love Diorshow! You can get a waterproof version.

Just read up on Max Factor 2000 calorie (waterproof version) €10.99 in Boots and the amount of 5 star ratings it has is unbelievable. Definitely going to give this one a go if they have it tomorrow I'll buy it. I'll report back after I've tried it, this is definitely one that I wouldn't have found/tried on my own. Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated and to everyone else for your comments, I'll let you know how I get on.

Just read up on Max Factor 2000 calorie (waterproof version) €10.99 in Boots and the amount of 5 star ratings it has is unbelievable. Definitely going to give this one a go if they have it tomorrow I'll buy it. I'll report back after I've tried it, this is definitely one that I wouldn't have found/tried on my own. Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated and to everyone else for your comments, I'll let you know how I get on.

No worries. At least if you don't like it, it's not too expensive a mistake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I hated Diorshow, very expensive for mediocre results.

I only like using They're Real for adding length but it's useless for volume. I actually like either Bad Gal Lash or if you're on a budget The Giant from Catrice (http://www.catrice.eu/products/eyes/mascara/detail/product/the-giant-extreme-volume-mascara.html) I LOVE the brush on The Giant because it's fat enough to add volume but the tapered end allows you to reach the corners to add length. Plus it's super cheap, so a win-win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

I love regular Hypnose. Wouldn't rave about the other variations of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I've used Diorshow, Chanel Inimitable, Benefit They're Real and Lancome Hyponse Drama, waterproof/non waterproof and Urban Decay Big Fatty (amongst many, many more :o).

I found Benefit They're Real only to be alright, it looks good at first but little fibers would come off throughout the day, wasn't ideal for me at all as i'm a contact lense wearer. I also felt it dried out quite fast.

Diorshow is excellent but again it dries out sooooo fast. This goes for both the waterproof and regular version. It was my mascara of choice for a long time but when you're paying that much for something, you expect it to last a little longer then 3-4 weeks tops. I had the same problem with Chanel Inimitable, although I didn't find it quite as good as Diorshow, it was still a great mascara, good for volume and length, but again, dried out way too fast.

I keep going back to Lancome Hyponse Drama, it's well worth the money, gives great volume, applies easily and comes off easily too. I've gotten loads of compliments when wearing it, people thinking i've got false lashes :eek:. My natural lashes aren't great at all so it makes a huge difference.

The sales girl recently gave me the waterproof version of Hypnose by accident, i'd usually never bother with waterproof mascara. I have to say, it's amazing, especially if you curl your lashes first, it holds them really well. Word of warning though, the stuff is IMPOSSIBLE to get off. A lot of the standard eye make up removers don't even make the stuff budge, it needs something heavy duty in order to remove it, the best i've found is the Lancome waterproof eye makeup remover or loads of vaseline, cotton wool and warm water :rolleyes:.

Just a note on Doll Eyes too, i haven't used it myself and a few sales assistants have steered me away from it saying Hypnose is miles better, my mother uses it though and swears by the stuff. She would have quite fair, short lashes naturally and it gives her pretty good length.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but i'd also highly recommend Urban Decay's Big Fatty. It's amazing, it gives a very volumous false lash effect, again this was something I used for quite a while, my only gripe with it was that I found it would leave a bit of a residue as the day went on (panda eyes!).

**I love mascara :D:o

@ Lean - thanks a mill for such a brilliant and informative answer, I didn't want to quote it as it was long but thanks a million. I got a sample of Doll Eyes waterproof and thank god I didn't spend the money on it. I couldn't get the stuff off. If I had to go through that procedure of trying to get it off every night I would either have no eyelashes left or wrinkly skin around my eyes from all the rubbing. I wasn't overly impressed with its effects either, so I have ruled that one out. Going to try the Max Factor 2000 calorie waterproof in a while.

With regards to the Urban Decay one mentioned above, I have never tried this but the fact you mentioned panda eyes was a turn off for me straight away. The last mascara I used was on a recommendation, it was NYC Big Bold or something, comes in a coral colored tube for €3.49. It did everything it was supposed to but oh my god was it the inkiest stuff I have every come across, it also seem to never dry fully and my lashes were always hitting under my eyebrows and I was left with constant black dots and smudges. It is now in the bin as I did one of my fitness classes yesterday and the entire lot was sliding down my face, beyond embarrassing, I even had drops of it dripping onto my chest and t-shirt. I usually don't wear make-up to classes but yesterday I did a lunchtime class and had my make-up on, it was the last thing I expected to happen. Never, ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

My vote would have to go to le volume de Chanel, it's their newest mascara and it's AMAZING!! It's 30 quid so it isn't cheap but it blows They're Real out of the water!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I've been caught out at the gym after work when I've forgotten make up wipes and my Rimmel waterproof mascara doesn't budge an inch! It's very much a day mascara, I have very light lashes so it just really adds colour and some length for me, but it does the job. I save the Dior for a better occasion than work :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

I hate They're Real. I do love Dior Show. But it is so friking expensive! I don't remember where I heard it from or read about it; but I keep the brushes of high end mascaras and use them with cheaper brand mascaras. It works perfectly so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

I hate They're Real. I do love Dior Show. But it is so friking expensive! I don't remember where I heard it from or read about it; but I keep the brushes of high end mascaras and use them with cheaper brand mascaras. It works perfectly so far.

That's a really good idea, often the brush does most of the work. If you have a friend with expensive taste you could even ask them for the brush when they're finished, seeing as you could clean and disinfect it before use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Nah, don't like it.

Hated Diorshow too, brush is too big and gets way too clumpy!

My favourite mascara is Loreal volume million lashes excess! I have short blonde lashes and this works great. Doesn't have great reviews online, which I find odd. But I guess it depends on the person...everyone has different lashes and likes different er..mascara looks :/

I tried out the Max Factor 2000 calorie waterproof mascara and I must say I was very impressed with it. The brush is so thin and quite long that you get this fan effect when you put it on. It catches all the lashes and doesn't hold to much product on the brush which saves all the mess. It dries quite quickly though so you have to be quick building it up.

It really separated my lashes and really curled them which I was very impressed with. It was lightweight, easy to wear, it didn't feel at all uncomfortable or heavy on.

The only downside has to be it's removal. It is impossible to get off, worse that the Doll Eyes waterproof but I will get a eye cleaner for waterproof and see if it comes off easier then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I don't think it is worth the hype to be honest. My bf got it for me for Christmas, but I don't use it often as I find it clumpy and I end up having to separate my lashes after it dries.

I can count on one hand the amount of times I've used it, if you want a high end mascara, Bobbi Browns Lash Glamour Extreme Lengthening and Everything Mascara are fab! I use them almost everyday.

http://www.bobbibrown.co.uk/product/5140/25276/Makeup/Eyes/Mascaras/Everything-Mascara/New/index.tmpl

http://www.bobbibrown.co.uk/product/5140/15939/Makeup/Eyes/Mascaras/Lash-Glamour-Extreme-Lengthening-Mascara/index.tmpl

No.7 Lash Adapt is great too, as it Elizabeth Arden's Double Intensity.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zkG74rJOGTY/ThCj99HV_CI/AAAAAAAABiU/n0-ARs4nVKQ/s1600/IMG_9067.JPG

http://www.fragrancedirect.co.uk/elizabeth-arden/elizabeth-arden-double-density-mascara-black-01-1025ml/invt/0005870

DiorShow Iconic and Dior Extase are fab too.

http://www.dior.com/beauty/int/en/makeup/eyes/mascaras/y0696100/py0696100-cmascaras.html

http://www.dior.com/beauty/int/en/makeup/eyes/mascaras/y0028700/py0028700-cmascaras.html

L'Oreal Telescopic is great too.

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=VP12153#sku2138215

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Don't know about Doll Eyes but Hypnose Star is the best freakin' thing I have ever used and it looks amazing, it is the glittery tube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I am a big fan of Clinique mascara, especially Naturally Glossy, it goes on really easily and lengthens and gives volume without being clumpy. I've never had a problem with panda eyes or flaking. I think it might be a little cheaper than Dior and Lancôme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

tigerblob wrote: »
    That's a really good idea, often the brush does most of the work. If you have a friend with expensive taste you could even ask them for the brush when they're finished, seeing as you could clean and disinfect it before use.

How would you clean a mascara wand? Do you clean it like other make up brushes with baby shampoo?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

Toast4532 wrote: »
    How would you clean a mascara wand? Do you clean it like other make up brushes with baby shampoo?

Probably depends on the wands. The more bristly ones would be cleaned like a normal brush. The plasticky ones you could be rougher wit and clean with soap and water. Then when it's cleaned maybe dip it in dettol to get rid of any leftover nasties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

Toast4532 wrote: »

I clean them with Dr Bronner's soap. I try to be very through and clean them a few times; and also disinfect them as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Try nyx le chic flick waterproof mascara its amazing gives great volume and curl and does not come off or run (used it all last week on hols). I got mine from millies for a few euro.

Nyx doll eyes is also brill that's what I use everyday the one I have isn't waterproof but its brill

Lia_lia wrote: »
    My favourite mascara is Loreal volume million lashes excess! I have short blonde lashes and this works great. Doesn't have great reviews online, which I find odd. But I guess it depends on the person...everyone has different lashes and likes different er..mascara looks :/

I think that's the one I have, it's lasted forever and I like it

Advertisement