Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hitler's Copyright

• 24-06-2013 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭

At the risk of hitting Godwin's law at the get go,
    Is Mein Kampf still under copyright? as the mustachioed Austrian only died 68 years ago?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The State of Bavaria holds the copyright and it expires in 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

At the risk of hitting Godwin's law at the get go,
    Is Mein Kampf still under copyright? as the mustachioed Austrian only died 68 years ago?

Copyright is life +70 in most circumstances.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Can it be used for historical and educational purposes? It's hardly of any literary or philosophical value to anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Can it be used for historical and educational purposes? It's hardly of any literary or philosophical value to anyone?
    The copyright will be extended. This would allow someone to ban certain people from printing it en masse?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

the_syco wrote: »
    The copyright will be extended. This would allow someone to ban certain people from printing it en masse?

You'd have to think that the actual number of neo nazis and such that would sit down (and be able) to read it are quote few in number. Mostly, it would be history students trying to get an insight into his thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

This copyright question only really matters in Germany, and even then the dissemination of Nazi propaganda will remain illegal under that country's laws. The question is whether, or for how long, Mein Kampf will remain propaganda, or when it will morph into a replicable historical artifact.

Obviously, you can buy Mein Kampf in Easons, etc. so this doesn't concern irish people at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Copyright is life +70 in most circumstances.
    These are hardly most circumstances though....

I'm just wondering if the copyright was quashed, to prevent Hitlers heirs profitting from sales, or if the copyright was expropriated, and if it was by who?

If the copyright in a certain EU state is extended, does that apply to all eu states? or EEA states or extra EEA states, such as say Paraguay?

I hadn't thought of the restrictions on sales in a country benefit of keeping copyright.

I'm thinking about some speeches also, if his heirs had copyright then they would only be allowed to be repoduced under fair dealing rules, which are really restrictive here, unlike fair use rules across the pond.

Of course the heirs may not have the chutzpah to ask for compo for unauthorised copying.

This whole thread is half inspired by the Archangel novel about some secret diaries of Joe Stalin. we reckoned a non-soviet legal system might have some more clarity than the soviet one when talking about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

What? That doesn't even make sense. I said copyright is life +70 in most circumstances as I didnt want to say copyright is life +70 simpliciter and be corrected in the case of databases or the like.

Mein Kampf is a literary work, which is life +70. So it is, in fact, "most circumstances" as you so convolutedly put it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I'm just wondering if the copyright was quashed, to prevent Hitlers heirs profitting from sales, or if the copyright was expropriated, and if it was by who?
    AFAIK Hitler has no "known" heirs, in the sense that they may exist but have made no claim. Wasn't there, at one time, a substantial fortune ready to be collected by anyone who was his heir, and nobody came forward?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I recall seeing a documentary a few years ago about the last 2 remaining Hitler brothers. They were well into their 70's at the time and they had never married and had vowed never to father a child so the line would die with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

this was answered earlier in the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

NoQuarter wrote: »
    What? That doesn't even make sense. I said copyright is life +70 in most circumstances as I didnt want to say copyright is life +70 simpliciter and be corrected in the case of databases or the like.

Mein Kampf is a literary work, which is life +70. So it is, in fact, "most circumstances" as you so convolutedly put it.

Hitler was a fairly extraordinary person though, and I was wondering if there were different principles in play, as there are restrictions on third reich stuff in Germany and Austria.
    Also in Britain there is a different copyright regime for Peter Pan .

But it seems like the state of Bayern has the copyright til 2015 just like any other punter who died in 1945

Advertisement