Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does it go? UCHG

• 24-06-2013 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi everyone. I am due my second baby soon and just wondering how it goes when you go into the hospital. By the time I got in last time I was nearly ready to go so I went straight to the delivery ward. I had a bag of stuff they told me I would need for labour that I never used so I have some questions.

1) Do you always go straight to the delivery ward even if you are only say 3cm? Or do you go to Catherine's Ward or somewhere and stay there until closer to the time?

2) If you do go to Catherine's or wherever are you in a room with other people or a single room?

3) And do they have options for pain relief such as gas and air or epidural before you get to the actual delivery ward?

Sorry if these all seem like silly questions!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

St.Catherine's is mostly shared rooms with some private rooms. I don't know how many beds/private rooms there are, but I know there are only two toilet cubicles for the public beds and one bath/shower room which I think is really poor. It looks like the ward hasn't been touched since the 1960's or something.

First time I was in there I was sharing with 1 other, last time I was in with 4 others.

Only pain relief is paracetamol as far as I know, gas, air and epidural only available in labour rooms.

I think you only get into the labour rooms once they think your ready.

I'm due my second very shortly too and very reluctantly going back into UCHG. Not looking forward to it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Hotpants10

Thanks Little My. I was in Catherines for a couple of nights a few weeks ago and thought the same. It could do with an update. So is that where you go in early labour?

And when you say labour rooms, is that where you go to have the baby?

So you stay in Catherines until you are ready or close to it, then you go from there down to have the baby?

Sorry, I just really want to have a clear picture in my head of what will happen!

I know what you mean about not wanting to go back to UCHG, I was less than impressed last time round. I was left to labour in the waiting room in admissions for 6 hours, when I finally got some attention I was ready to have the baby. Unfortunately it's our only option again this time.

Advertisement