Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gluten free products/fodmap diet foods?

Options
  • 24-06-2013 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi
    My wife has to go on the fodmaps diet, cut out a lot of foods and eat gluten free products.
    Anyone know of any specific shops around Galway that sell a large range of gluten free foods?
    Cheers,
    Pa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

Joyces in Athenry

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi
    My wife has to go on the fodmaps diet, cut out a lot of foods and eat gluten free products.
    Anyone know of any specific shops around Galway that sell a large range of gluten free foods?
    Cheers,
    Pa

M&S, Tesco and Dunnes have decent gluten free breads, rolls etc. Holland & Barrett too i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭piptypibe

Evergreen. The one in tesco shopping centre is particularly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Hiya my sister has a home bakery, she used to do a stall in claregalway and a few others...she can make awesome gluten free stuff..sundried tomato and basil bread, orange and almond cake and other things...she used to make the desserts for quay st. kitchen also which some were also vegan (and v.tasty)
    https://www.facebook.com/amomentonthelips.homebakery?fref=ts

drop her a msg maybe!
    also the bread will not cost you a fiver for a sh*tty little loaf!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,464 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Would rather recommend local stuff myself, but LIDL have started doing a Gluten Free range at reasonable prices if you are on a budget. Don't know if it has reached the Galway stores yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I started gluten free myself last january. At the beginning i was buying gluten free this, that and the other but what i realised after a few weeks that it would be better to just undo my original eating habits and think differently about it. You don't really need bread, the gluten free is not great by and large and can be very expensive.

Research where to get carbs other than your usual sources and work that into your diet (above ground vegetables are a great source). Get in the habit of reading labels.

For breakfast i make my own breakfast bars from nuts, seeds, coconut etc they are easy to do and you can make up 2 weeks worth at a time and keep them in the fridge (google paleo protien bars) and have some fruit with that.

Dinner is usually meat/fish with veg so no big difference there. I will say gluten free pasta comes in handy for spag bol.

Lunch is what presented the biggest difficulty cos i was used to eating sandwichs and it took a while to get used to eating lunch out of a bowl instead of holding it. Now i either eat last nights dinner leftovers or a salad using spinnach instead of lettuce.

The gluten free products are all well and good but they are pricey and i largely get by without them cept for the gluten free pasta and a few bits like gluten free soy sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

McTigs wrote: »
    I started gluten free myself last january. At the beginning i was buying gluten free this, that and the other but what i realised after a few weeks that it would be better to just undo my original eating habits and think differently about it. You don't really need bread, the gluten free is not great by and large and can be very expensive.

Research where to get carbs other than your usual sources and work that into your diet (above ground vegetables are a great source). Get in the habit of reading labels.

For breakfast i make my own breakfast bars from nuts, seeds, coconut etc they are easy to do and you can make up 2 weeks worth at a time and keep them in the fridge (google paleo protien bars) and have some fruit with that.

Dinner is usually meat/fish with veg so no big difference there. I will say gluten free pasta comes in handy for spag bol.

Lunch is what presented the biggest difficulty cos i was used to eating sandwichs and it took a while to get used to eating lunch out of a bowl instead of holding it. Now i either eat last nights dinner leftovers or a salad using spinnach instead of lettuce.

The gluten free products are all well and good but they are pricey and i largely get by without them cept for the gluten free pasta and a few bits like gluten free soy sauce

My gluten free friends (I have a few of them!) swear by the pasta and tamari (soy sauce) too, and would echo what you say about changing habits. However one is a bread freak, and won't give it up. He says 'avoid anything that is wrapped like a medical device!' :) those health food gluten free breads with 3 times the wrapping and taste 'like shoes'. The two brands of bread that are grand (one is in Tesco one is in Dunnes) are Be Free and Genius - brown recommended. No check marks for the Lidl one. Don't forget rice noodles, and remember wheat is in the oddest places (on some frozen chips, crisps most soups, some ketchup/sauces etc), so check!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Tesco do good stuff,Supervalu has some gluten free stuff and there's also an online shop called www.ecodirect.ie that does some things you can't find so easily in shops here.

By far and away the BEST gluten free bread is Supervalus own brand of gluten free rolls and sliced bread. The seeded rolls are as nice as the very nicest real bread rolls that you'll get. Bread is the one thing you can really crave from time to time and having an excellent substitute really helps. I'd go so far as to say don't bother with any other gf bread as its all pretty bad.

Best "treats" in my opinion are Tesco Free From range Belgian Chocolate finger bars. Theyre like luxurious kitkats. Tiger Tiger crisps are great too, just like Pringles and come in a box.They are in tesco and supervalu.Oh and Clonakilty gf sausages.

Some sauces like curry sauce are gluten free but not in the gluten free area of shops. You need to look at the ingredients but you will find a few that are ok. A lot of Lloyd grossmans are gluten free and Knorr Medium Spicy and Mild curry jars are gf free for instance.

You do get used to a healthier diet overall though and you find yourself less and less reliant on the gf stuff which is very expensive and often not great. If you're on a gf diet you also need to eat healthier too as gf breads and cereals are not fortified with vitamins and minerals as regular cereals and breads often are. It's important to keep on top of your vitamin and mineral intake, particularly iron and folic acid for women.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Joyces have the best choice... They have an extensive GF range....

The other supermarkets aren't that bad either... Ask in the Bunch of Grapes for Gluten Free Beer, Tom sometimes has some...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

CowboyTed wrote: »
    . Ask in the Bunch of Grapes for Gluten Free Beer, Tom sometimes has some...

It's in a few pubs "Estrella Daura" (as opposed to the normal Estrella) is the main one. Is that what Bunch of Grapes have? Townhouse sometimes have Greenes Beer.

It's in another thread, but Salthouse, Massimos, Townhouse, Cottage and another few do Estrella Daura too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Dave the Baker who has a stall on the market does a range of gluten, wheat, and yeast free breads and scones.

Advertisement