Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA flights change

Options
  • 25-06-2013 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

im hoping to travel to New York mid July. Initially I plan on staying for around 2 weeks but I may stay longer i.e. 90 days. If I was booking for 2 weeks, and then decided to change my flights, what costs would be involved? I assume that it would be better to book both flights with the same airline? i.e. both legs of journey with aer lingus and not one flight with aer lingus and return flight with KLM. Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The easiest way (though probably not cheapest) is to buy a business/flexible ticket that allows for this. A lot (but not all) cheap economy ticket will allow you to change before the return flight for a fee plus the difference in ticket price. 9 times out of 10 it proves cheaper to buy a new flight. If you don't show up for your flight and try to change it after your return date, you will have been deemed a no show and your ticket will have been cancelled.

Who you book with will have no bearing on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

How much a change cost will depend entirely on the type of ticket you have. Some cannot be changed at all, others cost the difference between old and new ticket plus a change fee of $20 or maybe $50, others are free to change (those are very expensive to start with of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Aer Lingus charge $150 to change a booking on a transatlantic flight. You also have to pay any price difference between the new flight and the old one. So if the old flight was $600, and the the new one is $800, you'd have to pay the $200 difference. If the new flight is cheaper than the the old one, they will not refund you the price difference between the two.

http://www.aerlingus.com/i18n/en/htmlPopups/change_help.html

That is just Aer Lingus. All airlines do not have the same polices on changing a flight, or charge the same fee to do it. So you'd really have to check with each airline that you are thinking of booking with.

Advertisement