Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this TEFL course worthwhile?

Options
  • 25-06-2013 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭

Hi, I don't really know if this is the right forum for this or not, if not my apologies, and if a mod could move it to the right forum that would be much appreciated.

Anyway, I came across this TEFL course on livingsocial.ie. I was wondering if it's worth my while doing it?

I have ambitions to go Asia next summer (probably South Korea) to do a bit of summer work. I am currently undertaking a B. Ed, but won't be qualified until 2015. Would that course qualify me to teach for 2-3 months, perhaps at a summer camp or something?

Also, if I were to go to South Korea, would anyone know how difficult it is to get a job for 3 months (June - August)? Would not having a degree hinder my chances of getting a visa? I suppose I sort of want to go on a J1, but preferably to Korea, but I have no desire to travel to the US as I have been there quite a few times already.

Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Unfortunately you would not be able to get a working visa for Korea. The absolute minimum requirement is a degree, and the same goes for Thailand and China. As for any Korean equivalent to a J1, I'm not too sure about that, perhaps there are some that exist. I taught English in Thailand for a year, but have no experience or knowledge of internships or j1 like visa's. Might be worth doing some research on it.

As for the tefl course, people will probably give you differing opinions on that. I'd say its worth doing for the price alone, if not only because it will give you some insight into what's involved in teaching English. As for whether it would help you get a job, probably not, but that also depends on the places you apply. I can only speak for Thailand...some places don't care if you have one, some places prefer you to have a tefl but don't really care what kind of tefl it is, and some places take nothing less than a CELTA (particularly Europe). I've seen people in Thailand teaching English without a degree (albeit illegally), but I certainly wouldn't recommend it as there's no guarantee's.

My advice would be to do some research and see if there is some kind of summer internship available. If there's none in Korea extend your search to China and Thailand, both amazing places that I would highly recommend. If you have no luck there then I'm afraid you will have to wait until you graduate if you are really set on going.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dlouise

THFC, did you decide if the course was worthwhile? I've just started looking and the whole thing is boggling my mind at this point. I just thought TEFL would do but I'm getting more confused as I research it...I was thinking of Emirates/Asia but TEFL may not cover all those options by the looks of it. Any advice you came across during your research would be welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

dlouise wrote: »
    THFC, did you decide if the course was worthwhile? I've just started looking and the whole thing is boggling my mind at this point. I just thought TEFL would do but I'm getting more confused as I research it...I was thinking of Emirates/Asia but TEFL may not cover all those options by the looks of it. Any advice you came across during your research would be welcome!
    I didn't do it as I'm still in college so it's a bit pointless. From my research in this forum and elsewhere, having a TEFL course is not required for some countries, the main one being Korea.

I don't actually think TEFL is a requirement for any country, but it's definitely an advantage, but I could be wrong on that.

CELTA is the best course to do, but it's around €1500 and requires you do focus solely on it, i.e. no job/other course, etc. It will give you the most job opportunities, but if you're not planning on travelling to European countries (or teaching in Ireland) I don't think it's worth it to be honest. Most employers seem to require at most the 100 hour TEFL course, but that's outside of Europe, only the CELTA does Europe afaik.

In short, it depends where you're going!!

Afaik, the Emirates only take on fully qualified teachers. For (most of) Asia, you only need a degree, but employers will also look for a TEFL cert depending on the country.

Advertisement