Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping personal effects from Ireland to Australia

Options
  • 25-06-2013 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

My gf and I are moving to Oz in September for at least 2 years. We are looking to ship some personal effects down with us. We will probably have 50-60kg of personal effects including clothes, books and other personal items. It should all fit into two standard boxes. Any advice on shipping companies or how best to go about doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Try an post, €60 for 20kg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Definitely An Post, though I was told the prices changed in the last few months since I used them in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I sent my toolbox on a pallet by airfreight. It was just under 150kg and I think was around 400.

Multicargo in Santry is who I used. I was skeptical as they were a lot cheaper than DHL etc but they were spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

sponge_bob wrote: »
    Try an post, €60 for 20kg

What service is that though, I cant find it:
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/GeneralTemplates/ProductsAndServices.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID=%7b39B16E21-0AE5-4E34-9507-DF3E40967510%7d&NRORIGINALURL=%2fAnPost%2fMainContent%2fPersonal%2bCustomers%2fSending%2bMail%2fStandard%2fStandardPost%2ehtm&NRCACHEHINT=Guest#howmuch

Best is untracked, uninsured Standard post, EUR60 for 5kg, extra EUR1 per KG to max 20KG, which comes out at EUR75.

Uninsured and (effectively) untrackable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭irishlad_85

Uninsured and untrackable is certainly worrying. We wouldn't be bringing these personal effects if they didn't mean something to us. I would pay a bit extra for additional peace of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

If you'e only coming for two years then I'd leave the books unless they're essential to work, bookdepositary.co.uk does free shiping to OZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Matt Simis wrote: »
    What service is that though, I cant find it:
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/GeneralTemplates/ProductsAndServices.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID=%7b39B16E21-0AE5-4E34-9507-DF3E40967510%7d&NRORIGINALURL=%2fAnPost%2fMainContent%2fPersonal%2bCustomers%2fSending%2bMail%2fStandard%2fStandardPost%2ehtm&NRCACHEHINT=Guest#howmuch

Best is untracked, uninsured Standard post, EUR60 for 5kg, extra EUR1 per KG to max 20KG, which comes out at EUR75.

Uninsured and (effectively) untrackable though.

They seemed to have changed it.
    It's been 12 months since I used there service.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 oz2013

Just received 2 boxes from home. Cost €150 for two 20kg boxes. Have also used Brendan Daly Shipping in Stillorgin. Very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

We used An post to send 10 * 20kg boxes for the essentials that we couldnt wait on the container for. (baby stuff etc)

Its a great service but make sure you get double walled cardboard boxes and triple wrap everything as some of ours arrived a bit bashed and had some small breakages.

I would definitley use them again.

They told us in the post office that there cant be any liquids in the boxes though....

• Registered Users Posts: 5 annie321

Hi,

We are moving to Australia at the end of the month and have a 2 year old son and we want to bring his toys. How would we go about doing this? any advise would be great!

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 MiloB

Hi, my partner and I are also moving to oz in sept with our now 4month old baby. We would like to bring most o his baby stuff. Would anyone have any advice on shipping?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

An post will get the stuff door to door in around a week which is really impressive for a 20kg box for €60. You would be surprised how much stuff you can fit in a 20kg box.

Its in your interest to get the whole 20kgs in as well because I think anything over 5kg is the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 UJR

if you want to send anything through an post,or any other courier actually, make sure you read all the info on how the weight is calculated.
    for an post "The Parcel rate of postage caters for items up to the following size dimensions and is subject to a physical & dimensional weight limit of 20kg."
    that means that you could theoretically send 20 kg, but only if you can fit your stuff in a relatively small box e.g. smaller than 50x50x50cm

To calculate the Dimensional Weight:
    (L x W x D) / 6,000

L = Length in centimetres
    W = Width in centimetres
    D = Depth in centimetres

Example:
    A 10kg item, which is 62cm long, 49cm in width and 39cm in depth will have a Dimensional Weight of:

(62x49x39)/6000 = 19.75 which is rounded up to 20 giving you a Dimensional weight of 20kg.

also, FYI registered post will provide Track & Trace and minimum insurance, for only 5 more euro

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Most airliners now offer 30kg baggage allowance per person and a small allowance for carry on.

Advertisement