Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a brand new phone through Adverts.

Options
  • 25-06-2013 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hey guys I was considering buying a new phone on adverts.ie and was wondering what precautions should I take as it's my first time doing it?

The phone is brand new, sim free, sealed and I can get a receipt. Reasonably priced(Not too good to be true), my only worry is can it be blocked at a later date if I use it.
    Im definitely going to test out my sim on it before purchasing just to see but is there any other precautions I should take?
    Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

AH92 wrote: »
    Hey guys I was considering buying a new phone on adverts.ie and was wondering what precautions should I take as it's my first time doing it?

The phone is brand new, sim free, sealed and I can get a receipt. Reasonably priced(Not too good to be true), my only worry is can it be blocked at a later date if I use it.
    Im definitely going to test out my sim on it before purchasing just to see but is there any other precautions I should take?
    Thanks guys.

What's the sellers feedback like? Is he a regular poster on boards (i find that someone who is a regular poster is less likely to screw you).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Bought a few phones and my brother , never had a problem my self. The ad sounds genuine.

Is it a pay as you go phone? If it is then there shouldn't be any problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Bought a few phones and my brother , never had a problem my self. The ad sounds genuine.

Is it a pay as you go phone? If it is then there shouldn't be any problem.

Why is he selling a sim free phone they would cost a lot more, I'd bring two sims with me just to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

It's a trust thing - feedback and boards history is all you have to go on.
    Unless it was bought on PAYG

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭AH92

Feedback wise the seller sold a few phones beforehand with no negative reviews. Im currently getting a samsung s3 sim free from the seller. It's an unopened, sim free phone so I presume it's not on bill pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

AH92 wrote: »
    Feedback wise the seller sold a few phones beforehand with no negative reviews. Im currently getting a samsung s3 sim free from the seller. It's an unopened, sim free phone so I presume it's not on bill pay.

If I were you - to verify things are 100 percent, and the box is opened I would put the Sim card in the phone, power it up, play around with it for 10 or 15mins (if the seller is legit he won't mind) and if the signal drops down to 0 on the phone after 10 mins or so, yet you can still send texts - then the handset is barred....

I worked in a phone repair place, that's how phones usually go when IMEI blocked ...(by network etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭jimmer123

if its unopened i wouldnt be surprised if he didnt let you open the package and try the sim in the phone....i didnt let the buyer i was selling to do that on an iphone5 I was selling

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭AH92

Fieldog wrote: »
    If I were you - to verify things are 100 percent, and the box is opened I would put the Sim card in the phone, power it up, play around with it for 10 or 15mins (if the seller is legit he won't mind) and if the signal drops down to 0 on the phone after 10 mins or so, yet you can still send texts - then the handset is barred....

I worked in a phone repair place, that's how phones usually go when IMEI blocked ...(by network etc)

Cool thanks for the tip i'll try and do this. As another poster said not sure what to do if a situation was to arise where I wouldn't be able to put my sim in beforehand.

Advertisement