Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous names from Naas

Options
  • 25-06-2013 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

Anyone know any famous people either from Kildare or lived in Kildare?

Wolfe Tone - Waked in a room over, now what is Nicola Ross's shop beside McDonalds. The building and room still stands today. Of course interned in Bodenstown, Sallins.

John Wyse Power - Waterford man. One of the founder members of the GAA. Worked briefly for the Leinster Leader and lived in my family home in Naas when the GAA was formed.

John Devoy - Killl Co Kildare. Ex French Foreign Legionnaire and the greatest Fenian of them all. Under Devoy's leadership, the Clan na Gael became the most important Irish republican organisation in the United States and Ireland. Devoy's fundraising efforts and work to sway Irish-Americans to support physical force nationalism in World War I included attempts to assist the Easter Rising in 1916. In 1914, Padraig Pearse visited the elderly Devoy in America, and later the same year Roger Casement worked with Devoy in raising money for guns to arm the Irish Volunteers. A large memorial to him stands on the road between his native Kill and Johnstown.

Arthur Guinness - Needs no introduction and founder of the world famous Guinness brewery. His first experience of brewing took place in Leixlip Co Kildare.The rest is history! His gravestone in Oughterard Co Kildare is testament to his Lily white heritage.

Any others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I presume the thread is meant to be titled 'Famous Names From Kildare"!

Jamie Heaslip - Rugby Player
    Jeordan Murphy - Rugby Player
    Niall Quinn - Soccer Player (lives & played GAA for Eadstown)
    Fat bloke from the commitments - Singer
    Ted & Ruby Walsh - Horsey People
    Ronnie Wood - Lives near Carragh

Ah I'm sure there are loads more.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Kathleen Lonsdale

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Lonsdale

From Newbridge doing a bit of a campaign at the moment to have her recognized in Newbridge in the form of a park,street etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

PK the Bud - The irish Bukowski, chronicler of down and out lifestyle, destined to be unrecognised in own lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Arthur Guinness was born in Celbridge, his birthplace is now a pub.

Damien Rice and Donal McIntyre are two others from Celbridge. Mark Kenneally too.

Wasn't Ernie Lyons from Kill, heard that in a pub quiz in the old house one night.
    Never heard of him before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

To Alcohol wrote: »
    Wolfe Tone - Waked in a room over, now what is Nicola Ross's shop beside McDonalds. The building and room still stands today. Of course interned in Bodenstown, Sallins.

As far as I know, Wolf Tone was not waked in Naas. His body was carried from Kill, which was as far as the authorities would pay for it to be transported from Dublin. From Kill, it was carried across the current motorway towards Straffan, before turning left for what is now Bodenstown Cross and the graveyard beyond...

Don't forget also that Chris de Burgh's family (his mother's side, as he's actually a Davison) are still in Naas.

Niall Quinn isn't from Naas - he does live in Eadestown alright, but he's a Dub - and neither is Ronnie Wood!! The guy from the Commitments mentioned above, Andrew Strong, is from Naas alright - Lakelands, if I remember correctly...

Don't forget Fionnuala Sherry, from the Sallins Road, who won the Eurovision with Norway in 1995.

I can't think of any more at the moment...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Anatom wrote: »
    Niall Quinn isn't from Naas - he does live in Eadestown alright, but he's a Dub - and neither is Ronnie Wood!! T

The question was "either from Kildare or lived in Kildare"
    Anatom wrote: »
    His body was carried from Kill, which was as far as the authorities would pay for it to be transported from Dublin. From Kill, it was carried across the current motorway towards Straffan, before turning left for what is now Bodenstown Cross and the graveyard beyond...

That is how I heard it too. Also, the instructions given were to bury him in the first graveyard they came across. Apparently there is a private Cemetery in the large country estate just at Sherlockstown cross and many believe Wolfe Tone is actually interred there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Famous Nazi , Otto Skorzeny best known for rescuing Mussolini .Putting aside this guys politics he was most definitely famous!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skorzeny

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skorzeny#Spain_and_Ireland

He owned Martinstown House near Curragh ,now a B + B / Guesthouse(?)

According to a caller on Joe Duffy one afternoon ,his father /grandfather was involved in some kind of verbal altercation with Mr Skorzeny who at WELL over six foot and with huge scars would have been an imposing character disregarding his 'history'.Apparently the disgruntled irish man swore at Skorzeny and told him he wasnt back in Germany murdering/burning/killing Jews now and had best behave himself !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

JeffK88 wrote: »
    Kathleen Lonsdale

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Lonsdale

From Newbridge doing a bit of a campaign at the moment to have her recognized in Newbridge in the form of a park,street etc..
    She was only five!!

the band aneurysm were from naas, they were big around the mid 90's in naas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

The Duke of Leinster from Maynooth.

Your man who got the goal tarnished medal at Olympics.

Bill Cullen lives near Sallins....definitely not a Lillywhite.

Duke of Alymer maybe not a Duke but he owned Donadee House and Lands.

• Advertisement

The someone's folly in Curragh. He was a boxer I think. Donnelly?

prospect wrote: »
    That is how I heard it too. Also, the instructions given were to bury him in the first graveyard they came across. Apparently there is a private Cemetery in the large country estate just at Sherlockstown cross and many believe Wolfe Tone is actually interred there.

I heard the same thing too - "first graveyard on the left as you head for Bodenstown". I don't think its really true though. You can't see the graveyard anymore with the trees so thick and high, but back then they were either not there at all, or were so much smaller that the rumour sounds plausible..!

Bill Cullen is a Dub. So too is the boxer - Michael Carruth - I think you meant. I don't think he lives in Naas anyway. He had a furniture business or similar which I think is gone now. (Unless you meant the showjumper Cian O'Connor? He is from Meath I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Cian O'Connor? He is from Meath I think).

Isn't he from Johnstown and moved to Meath?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭haveabanana

HonalD wrote: »
    The someone's folly in Curragh. He was a boxer I think. Donnelly?

Donnelly's Hollow http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Donnelly_(boxer)

Christy Moore, from Newbridge.

Liam Óg O'Flynn the piper, from Kill I think.

Count John McCormack lived in Moasterevin.

Was Ernest Shakleton from Athy?

John Devoy was a Fenian and has a road named after him in Naas.

And for all of you old enough to remember - Saint Brigid. A little before my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭froggie76

Donal lunney- not born in Kildare but lived/ schooled here.
    Luka Bloom- Christy Moores brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Insecure Abnormality

Eamonn "Sheila" Darcy, from Hollywood Park was (if I'm not mistaken) the only international soccer player to play for England in one half and Ireland in another in the same match. A testimonial match in 1967.

Eamonn "Sheila" Darcy, from Hollywood Park was (if I'm not mistaken) the only international soccer player to play for England in one half and Ireland in another in the same match. A testimonial match in 1967.
    True - he was a goalkeeper I think. He still lives there.

• Advertisement

Now that's amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭catiny

Ray D'arcy is from Kildare town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

HonalD wrote: »
    And for all of you old enough to remember - Saint Brigid. A little before my time.

Sorry, no, She was a 'blowin'., from somewhere up the mountains 'round Dundalk'.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I had cause to look this man up this week. I had never heard of him. Olympic cyclist Con Carr:

http://www.kildare.ie/library/ehistory/2012/03/kildare_mans_new_cycling_recor.asp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭corkplumber

Larry Tompkins (born 13 June 1963 in Naas, County Kildare) is a former Irish Gaelic football manager and former player. He played football at various times with his local clubs Eadestown in Kildare and Castlehaven in Cork. He also played football with both the Kildare and Cork senior inter-county teams throughout the 1980s and 1990s. Tompkins captained Cork to the All-Ireland title in 1990 and later served as manager of the team from 1996 until 2003.

Larry Tompkins (born 13 June 1963 in Naas, County Kildare) is a former Irish Gaelic football manager and former player. He played football at various times with his local clubs Eadestown in Kildare and Castlehaven in Cork. He also played football with both the Kildaire and Cork senior inter-county teams throughout the 1980s and 1990s. Tompkins captained Cork to the All-Ireland title in 1990 and later served as manager of the team from 1996 until 2003.
    He has an all Ireland voc schools with Wicklow too! (that must be our biggest gaa achievement up the hills)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭corkplumber

He has an all Ireland voc schools with Wicklow too! (that must be our biggest gaa achievement up the hills)

i didnt know that,

but kildares (nass) loss was our our gain.

Advertisement