Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat and unfit to super triathlete ?

Options
  • 25-06-2013 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Ok, am going to start this training log for two reasons:
    1. To, obviously, track my progress as my quest continues
    2. To guilt myself into doing more training.
    Accountability = action 😄

So, background....
    I gave up cigarettes mid jan, doing well with that. But, with that came a ridiculous sweet tooth and appetite. Although, I do play sport thru winter (hockey), I've never really been super fit. So, with (a lot) of excess weight to shred and a sudden compulsion to get involved in triathlons this year, thanks to a link someone posted about tryathy on Facebook, here I am..

I did the 'TryAthy'.... Loved it! Didn't break any records, but didn't come last. So, now, I've got the bug 😄
    A now signed up to do the 'try' version in athlone in just under 2 weeks, Kilkenny on 27jul.
    Then, upping the ante to a sprint at World's End 24Aug and another sprint 'Tri an Mhi' on 7 sep.

So, I joined a local club just after Athy and, last week, for the first time in my life, I did 4k run without stopping/walking. Major, MAJOR achievement for me.
    Club is fantastic.. Very lucky to have found such a supportive bunch.
    Wed and fri training with club, with my own training outside those days.
    Have to invest in a stopwatch to keep track of my times/improvements.
    So, I'll keep track of all training here and hope to see myself visibly improving as time goes by (and lose weight in the process... Have to address eating habits too!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Baboonwhipper

Fair Play to you!
    The bug has definitely bitten. You will love the tri an mhi sprint, what a great race with excellent organisation and atmosphere.
    I'll see you there, i 'll be the one in lycra :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

Thanks baboonwhipper (what a name!)..
    I'm sure to spot you a mile away in the Lycra.. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Topps

See u at World's End 24 Aug and good luck with the training.:)

Thanks Topps. ��

So, last night I ran a hilly 4k in 27mins. Yes, I am slow.. But I have to start somewhere. ��

• Advertisement

So, last night I ran a hilly 4k in 27mins. Yes, I am slow.. But I have to start somewhere. 😉

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Don't worry about being slow. Noone here started out fast. Just get out there and the speed will come.

Cheers Oryx. Yeah, have to keep reminding myself that everyone was where I am at one stage. As I said in first post, I already have seen improvements, so that in itself is a huge motivator to keep truckin' on ;)

Tonight was an OW swim.. 1200m (600 up/600 down) in approx 37mins (guessing based on car clock cos I still haven't got watch!).
    Longest stretch before tonight would have been between 6/700 I think, so am delighted with the distance.
    Came out feeling wobbly so decided against a run. Though, in hindsight, I'm kinda sorry cos I think I could have done a short run really.
    Oh well, onwards and upwards.

Youll often feel wobbly coming out of cold water. Wear earplugs, and kick hard for the last 100m. It helps. Try running anyway, youll have to deal with it in a race scenario, so best to get familiar.

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Youll often feel wobbly coming out of cold water. Wear earplugs, and kick hard for the last 100m. It helps. Try running anyway, youll have to deal with it in a race scenario, so best to get familiar.

Ah, ok... Good to know!! I even felt my ears were uncomfortable during some if the swim so was going to get earplugs as a result anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Great to hear you've joined a club with a great OW location there ! You'll get great knowledge from the club.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Athy, i was involved in the running of the day !

Glad to hear you enjoyed Athy, i was involved in the running of the day !
    So you can take some of the blame for me picking up the bug.. :D

oh sweet mudder of divine, I will NEVER forget bodyglide again.
    forgot it on the swim 2 days ago.
    Yup, was sore and raw coming out of the river then, but, jeebus, did not expect it to be still sooooo sore and raw now. :(
    I forget every now and then, twist my neck and end up letting out a little yelp.. :eek:

Anyway, will have to forget about it tonight.. somehow..
    Club have a mini tri organised - 600m swim, 13k cycle, 3.5k run. Looking forward to it! Hope I make it home from work in time to do it! :D

Mini tri complete. Last again.. But, look, someone has to be... It's all good.
    So..
    Swim 600m - 12.39
    Cycle 13k - 34.07
    Run 3.8k - 26

So, my run suffered, as I expected. It's definitely my weakest part. Ran out of steam at about 2.5k and ended up doing a few walking pieces in the last km.
    At end of the race, one of the other gals kindly gave me some tips to work on to improve my running so will be trying them out over the next while.
    Although it was a mini tri, it was still waaaaay longer than the super sprint in athlone sat week, so I'm well ready for that.
    Even with my shoddy run, I'm well happy.
    To most of you seasoned triathletes, you'd prob lap me 10 times.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

endacl wrote: »

Hahaha... Class! And I've just downloaded it to kindle! :D
    Not sure I'd ever reach IM levels somehow. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

c07 wrote: »
    Hahaha... Class! And I've just downloaded it to kindle! :D
    Not sure I'd ever reach IM levels somehow. :P
    Neither did he! But he did. Linkidink to his blog....

http://ironholgs.wordpress.com/

Go to bed! Training tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Hi,

Just wondering have you joined Athy club. How are you finding it???, hoping to join up next year.

Keep up the good work, good luck in Athlone

Hi,

Just wondering have you joined Athy club. How are you finding it???, hoping to join up next year.

Keep up the good work, good luck in Athlone

Yup, it's Athy I'm with. I find them fab. So supportive and encouraging. You'll love it there. Looking at your log, I'll be eating your dust too..
    ;)
    Are you competing in any races this year?

• Advertisement

Only brand new to triathlon like yourself, Athy was my first one, doing another (Ballina) next Saturday and then hope to do the one in Nass at the end of September. Nothing lined up for August yet but that could be very busy with hopefully a little one making an appearance after 9 months of hibernation.

Hope to get into ye next year so, it will help with the motivation and most of yer training seems to be in open water which would be great

Aww, huge congrats! That'll keep you busy for a while alright ;)
    Very best of luck with ballina next week. You'll fly it! :D

endacl wrote: »

Ya i read that, its an ok read.

Elvis will be in Athlone next weekend as well, looking forward to the sprint. I;'m even going to do a brick session this week to get ready for it !

Well, a brick session was had tonight.
    7.5k cycle, 2.2k run.
    Had planned on doing this twice. My body had other ideas.
    Run off the first bike, I felt broken. Just couldn't get a good pace going. :(
    Went off for the second bike, and felt like I was doing better on the cycle this time around, but when I got back to where I was to drop the bike and run again, I saw the rest of the troop were actually on their third loop. So, conscious of holding peeps up again (club are very good and have waited for me in the past), I decided not to go. Also, I prob would have fallen in a heap anyway.
    I have athlone on sat anyway, so best not to cause myself an injury, eh?! ;)

Reading that back, it sounds as if I copped out. I prob did a bit... :(
    Kick up the @rse required..!!

Is it the sprint you are doing in Athlone??? Anymore races after that

Kick up the @rse required: at least you know you can do better

N'ah.. Still super sprint Dave. In hindsight I prob should have gone for the sprint cos the club mini tri last fri was longer than what's ahead of me on sat. I'll put it down as a training session, albeit an expensive one. :)

My mantra for next week's sessions (cos it's wind down to race this week) : must try harder!!

Forgot to add.. Yup, next race after athlone is Kilkenny at end of month. Another super sprint (longer than athlone though).
    Then, up the ante to two sprints.. End aug, then another in sep. hoping to be ready for sprint by then.
    A girl can hope ;)

You're ready for sprint now. You just don't think you are. :) Good luck with your races. Next year oly wait and see!

Oryx wrote: »
    Next year oly wait and see!
    I nearly snorted tea out my nose with that one oryx! ;)

• Advertisement

HA.... An easy 17k they said.... My @rse... :)
    The 20k triathy route was easier, I thought.
    An out and back route.. Out part nearly killed me, with a head wind to boot.
    Thankfully, a nice tailwind on the way back boosted me a bit.
    Forgot my watch, so no idea of time, but deffo no PBs to be thinking about.

Taper week.. Although, I kind of feel a bit of a fraud calling this a taper week, when all I'm doing is the super sprint in athlone, which is SUPER short. Especially when I look at everyone else's logs here :D

I'll do a short, easy run on fri and be all set for sat morning (once i dont get lost enroute!)...

Advertisement