Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat and unfit to super triathlete ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Good luck on Saturday!! You're well ready for the super sprint (I like that you've a second one lined up), and by the time the sprint tris come around in August and September you'll have all the mechanical kinks worked out and loads of confidence. You're doing great...so make sure you enjoy the atmosphere and buzz on race day....and smile. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

Thanks Dory Dory.. Hope you're right about me being ready in aug/sep... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Good luck on Saturday and enjoy it. You will be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 22 miafitz

Hey c07 !! Wow.. look at you since my last post over in TryAthy ... Well done Mrs !! Best of luck on Sat it'll be a breeze to you after all that training.. Looking forward to hearing all.. I'm still doing a bit of running & bike but not great in the pool lately need to get my arse in gear again ! I need to sign up for something soon.. any suggestions ? crazy busy until Sept but really need a focus again.. (training would be a pleasure just to escape the mad house of men on school holidays.. ) :)

Hey miafitz.. Great to hear from u girl :D
    Yeah, I'm really enjoying it all! I think the key for me was finding the club. It's that extra push/motivator and support.
    Would you consider the try-a-tri in Kilkenny? It's on the 27th jul. I'm doing that one too and the course is meant to be nice. Pretty flat, etc.
    You'd be well able for it! Well done yourself on keeping up with the cycling and running.. Sure, that's two thirds sorted.

If you don't want to do anything till sep, there's a sprint in naas at end of sep, which wouldn't be too far from you, if I remember rightly. You could aim for that.

Keep up the good work mrs and maybe I'll catch you at one of the events soon. ;)

• Advertisement

Ok, I think I went into this one over confident, and it bit me in the @ss.
    The swim was a very different ow swim to what I've been used to. Swimming out and around buoys (rather than just a straight line) ended up with me getting squished numerous times in a melee. At one point I had to stop dead in my tracks as someone literally back stroked perpendicular to the route right in front of me. Now I see why it's not the 'preferred' stroke for the officials.
    Anyway, off again afterwards and met be the loooooooooongest transition ever. Bloody hell...
    Cycle was great, really enjoyed it, especially when I was passing a few along the way. Then back to the loooooooooong transition (did I mention it was verrrrrry long!! ;) )
    Run in the heat bloody well killed me, along with the hilly streets of the town. I'd say anyone I passed on bike, passed me easily here. Had to walk a few times to just gather myself. Haven't got my times yet, but all in all an enjoyable day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

c07 wrote: »
    Ok, I think I went into this one over confident, and it bit me in the @ss.
    The swim was a very different ow swim to what I've been used to. Swimming out and around buoys (rather than just a straight line) ended up with me getting squished numerous times in a melee. At one point I had to stop dead in my tracks as someone literally back stroked perpendicular to the route right in front of me. Now I see why it's not the 'preferred' stroke for the officials.
    Anyway, off again afterwards and met be the loooooooooongest transition ever. Bloody hell...
    Cycle was great, really enjoyed it, especially when I was passing a few along the way. Then back to the loooooooooong transition (did I mention it was verrrrrry long!! ;) )
    Run in the heat bloody well killed me, along with the hilly streets of the town. I'd say anyone I passed on bike, passed me easily here. Had to walk a few times to just gather myself. Haven't got my times yet, but all in all an enjoyable day.

So what's next ???

I didn't think the organisation was great today overall and yes transition was very long.

Nice one elvis.. Ta muchly :D

Next is Kilkenny super sprint on 27th.

How'd you get on today? Agree organisation wasn't great. Having only Athy to compare to, it wasn't a patch.. So kudos to you guys there, ye obviously run a well oiled machine! ;)

Nice one elvis.. Ta muchly :D

Next is Kilkenny super sprint on 27th.

How'd you get on today? Agree organisation wasn't great. Having only Athy to compare to, it wasn't a patch.. So kudos to you guys there, ye obviously run a well oiled machine! ;)

Slow swim, good bike and average run. T1 and T2 were awful i actually had to think about what i was doing:D

But it was a good warm up for next weekend !

• Advertisement

Meant to get out for a run last night, but by the time kids were in bed, I was zapped. So, run planned for tonight.
    Really have to up my training. My run needs serious work. I'm sure my technique leaves a lot to be desired so will see what I can do to improve on it. Athlone was embarassing for me, run-wise anyway. So a lot of action needed.

Meant to get out for a run last night, but by the time kids were in bed, I was zapped. So, run planned for tonight.
    Really have to up my training. My run needs serious work. I'm sure my technique leaves a lot to be desired so will see what I can do to improve on it. Athlone was embarassing for me, run-wise anyway. So a lot of action needed.

Interval training and hill repeats............

800m at full pace, 200m warm down and repeat. I'd do a nice warm up and warm down as well but that will bring you on. It will train your body to run faster for longer.

The hill repeats will just get you used to hills and you'll lose less time on them in races.

Its the same process to use on a turbo in the winter for the bike so you can push it out for longer and faster. It will also increase you lactic treshhold.

Interval training and hill repeats............

800m at full pace, 200m warm down and repeat. I'd do a nice warm up and warm down as well but that will bring you on. It will train your body to run faster for longer.

The hill repeats will just get you used to hills and you'll lose less time on them in races.

Its the same process to use on a turbo in the winter for the bike so you can push it out for longer and faster. It will also increase you lactic treshhold.

elvis.. you are a gem!
    Thank you so much! Interval training tonight so.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Jamie Cal

I'm no expert, but the only bit of advice I can give is don't kill yourself when you slip up. People go on these massively strict diets and kill themselves when they eat a chocolate bar one night, just make sure you account for that and go hard at it again. All the best!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Technique when running uphill.

Look up. Dont let your body bend and fold. Keep your shoulders back, so your chest is open.
    Take baby steps, not long strides.
    Bring your foot up under your hip.
    Drive your elbows back, and dont let your arms cross your body.

Oryx wrote: »

Look up. Dont let your body bend and fold. Keep your shoulders back, so your chest is open.

Great advice there !!! I changed to that 18 months ago and hills got a lot easier.

Oryx wrote: »

Oh cool... Ok, I have to re-educate myself totally there, but that I can do.

Yiz are great.. Thanks for all the tips.
    I am feeling more and more down about the athlone experience that I'm doubting my ability for sprint end aug. I know anyone can have a bad race, but I really was shocked at how bad it felt for me.
    However, I won't let it beat me... I will conquer this...
    Just wonder how this will all pan out in castleconnell.
    Stuck on a train home now, so, on the upside ill be running later in a cooler temp.

Where are you doing the sprint in August?

Where are you doing the sprint in August?

World's End in castleconnell, limerick. Tempted? Will baba have made an appearance by end aug?? ;)

Could be interested it may be a bit soon after

He/she better be here, or its mother will have gone mad. This heat is not helping the situation:):)

• Advertisement

Well, after spending 3hrs (yes, 3hrs) on a train journey home that should have taken less than an hour, I managed to get myself out the door for a run at 10pm last night.
    So, on the way home, I had downloaded an interval timer that would beep at me to tell me when next interval started.
    So much for it being cool though. It was still 24degrees at 10pm...
    Had intervals set by time as I hadn't a clue what distances were ahead on the route. So, 5min wu jog, intervals were 60sec full pelt followed by 30 sec recovery jog.
    Well, I did the two first intervals full on for the 60 sec, but found on the subsequent 3rd to 8th interval, I just couldn't maintain it for the full 60 sec. I think last interval came in at 30 sec full throttle. So, I've been given more advice (thank you so much for letting my vent my exercise woes Aoife!! 😉), and I need to readdress my pace and push on those interval bursts but find a pushing pace that is also maintainable.

Oh, and my route had one hill and I tried out your technique Oryx. And although I had to concentrate on what I was doing I could see the advantage in the reformed hill stride. And while it needs work, I can deffo see that this will hugely improve my hill work.

So, even if it wasn't the most successful interval training session. With a few adjustments, I reckon I'll have the training part figured out and I'll be whooping ass.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

World's End in castleconnell, limerick. Tempted? Will baba have made an appearance by end aug?? ;)
    I love this race, really enjoyed it last year. If u ignore all the drafting and outside assistance people get, it was my fave race last year. Pity it's on the same day as Dublin this year or I would def be doing it.

So, whatever I did in the interval session has caused my left leg to kick up a fuss. Muscle on inner side of calf is in pain when I walk, never mind run. :confused:
    So, dr google says possible shin splint. What would ye say?
    Either way, I haven't run on it since tues.

Did a 20.61k cycle in 53mins tonight. Slower than normal, but I'll blame the heat :rolleyes:

Sitting down now to watch ironman cairns that I recorded yest :D

I would say you should get a foam roller (that's what the good people on here told me recently)
    Helps with tight muscles.

Oh yeah, my brother in law (marathon runner) mentioned them before.
    Worth a shot.. Nice one Dave :D

Remember the cheaper ones are equally as good as the more expensive one. They all do the same job. Elvis's words:D:D

I would say you should get a foam roller (that's what the good people on here told me recently)
    Helps with tight muscles.

And a good physio ! Your form roller will do so much but a good physio is a must as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Then back to the loooooooooong transition (did I mention it was verrrrrry long!! ;) )

Couldn't agree more I was tired getting onto the bike after that run out of transition :D

nice run course though a couple of nasty hills(the down hill one passed the finish) but the crowds gave a nice lift.

Overall I think the course must've measured longer than standard sprint distance. I'm not sure but did the run route start at the mat beside the split for lap/finish if so that must've been 500M from transition.

Great event though I thought and registration/goodie bag pick up/bag drop were all well organised.

I'll keep track of your progress I'd probably be a season ahead of where you are at the min and I still can't get around those swim turns quickly :(

Best of Luck in KK I'll be there myself :)

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    Overall I think the course must've measured longer than standard sprint distance. I'm not sure but did the run route start at the mat beside the split for lap/finish if so that must've been 500M from transition.
    Yup, I think it was... Easily 500m :rolleyes:

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    I'll keep track of your progress I'd probably be a season ahead of where you are at the min and I still can't get around those swim turns quickly :(

Best of Luck in KK I'll be there myself :)

Sh!te... Not what I need to hear, I thought it was a newbie issue I was having dealing with the buoys... *sigh*
    I'll struggle on so.. ;)

C ya in kk... Best of luck! :D
    It's coming around super quick!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Sh!te... Not what I need to hear, I thought it was a newbie issue I was having dealing with the buoys... *sigh*
    I'll struggle on so.. ;)

Haha I'm just a slow learner I recon :D once you get your sighting down you'll be laughing I just lose my momentum when sighting.

Roll on KK alright should be a nice quick swim course once they don't pull an athlone and change the swim route last minute.

Also you'll be well able for a sprint distance now I reckon. Get you butt out of the paddling pool :D

Advertisement