Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat and unfit to super triathlete ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    Also you'll be well able for a sprint distance now I reckon. Get you butt out of the paddling pool :D

:p

*slaps*
    It's been a while.. :(
    Haven't done anything since last thurs as lots of things were conspiring against me.
    So, tonight was a club brick session
    7.2k cycle + 2.3k run x3
    Managed to do all three cycles but really struggled on last run. In fact, I wasn't even going to do it, only I was given a push by one of the lads to just do a bit.. He came with me, and maybe I did just under 1k in last run, but I did it, thanks to him! Delighted now, even if I thought I was going to puke after it :rolleyes:
    So, looking forward now to a club mini tri training sesh on fri!
    :D

Mini tri complete:
    600m swim: 14.21
    13k cycle: 31.19
    3.8k run: 24.36

Last in again, but still happy :D

O/w swim.. About 6/700m
    Followed by 4k run.

Damn this heat...
    Plus, I'm never going sockless again. Blisters on instep :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

c07 wrote: »
    Plus, I'm never going sockless again. Blisters on instep :(

Ouch bad timing aswell with KK this weekend. No more running this week and plenty of compeed. :)

Plenty of talcum powder in the runners usually helps avoid blisters. Mine look like an explosion in a Colombian drugs factory the amount of talcum powder in them. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

+1 on the powder.

Yup, one of the lads in the club gave the same advice re talc..
    I still need to run mr. fred, it's my weakest and I need any stint to help me for sat.
    Crap timing is right, but I'll put the compeed on (never heard that one before, but will bow to your sage advice elvis!), throw some good columbian into the shoes :D and wear socks on sat.

It's my last mini tri ever... :eek:
    Next one will be full sprint end aug and I'm already panicking. I've been doing a slow build to sprint (feel totally inadequate reading everyone else's logs at times... Super-athletes, the lot of ye!)...
    But it's pointless putting the real deal off. I'm training, fitness levels are getting better, but slowly. So, I need to really throw myself into the challenge and work on pbs. Impossible to do with mini tris cos the distances vary so much between each one.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Never be afraid of distance. Your body is capable of more than you think!

The distance is just about going a bit longer each time, just pace yourself !

Keep making that stoopid rookie mistake of not starting the stopwatch. :(

Did a 20k cycle last night. No idea of time.
    Was tough going on out route with wind in face but flew back... Nice!

Nothing tonight as home alone with the munchkins. But a nice early night will be had.
    Slow run on fri then Kilkenny sat!
    Distances for sat will be 250m swim, 18k cycle, 3,1k run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Best of luck in the morning. Have a safe and enjoyable race

Good Luck tomorrow. I just took a look at the bike route on the way home from registration. There seems to be a long drag for most of the first half. Should be a quick return leg though. No numbers in the racks either so a bright towel or something may be helpful.

Thanks guys

Yeah, I registered on the fri mr Fred and noticed that alright. I racked the bike then too though so I had a good selection of places to put bike on rack that I could easily find. :)

So, swim was grand, it felt longer than 250, but all in all got thru it grand. The run from swim to transition... Holy moley, up the steps and up a hill.. Tough!

On to the bike, I found the first uphill outside the castle very tough. After that I think there was only one other toughish hill to deal with. The way back was just contending with serious traffic. Had to come to a standstill twice because of it.

Then the run was just around the castle grounds. Was a nice run in a fab setting.

All in all, I enjoyed it. I tried pushing even harder than I normally do, so was happy with what I put in effort wise. Not sure times reflect that.

Results:
    Swim: 250m 10.16
    Bike: 18k 48.00
    Run: 3.1k 22.42

Forgot to ask... How did you get on mr Fred?

I'd a fun time I'll say no more. haha

swim:16 :)
    bike:53min :o
    run:31 :eek::o

Slow run and took a spill off the bike at the last roundabout so I'm blaming that. :) Traffic was ridiculous at last roundabout they should've left the inside lane closed to traffic.

I need to start taking the training a bit more seriously or I'll be back down to try a tri next season.

Agree with the run from the swim to transition it was a spin and a half almost rivaling Athlone.

Excellent swim!!
    Good on u! Times look great on all parts to me, but then again, I'm certainly not going to be breaking records any time soon :p

Well done, and hope you're not hurting too much today :D

c07 wrote: »
    Excellent swim!!
    Good on u! Times look great on all parts to me, but then again, I'm certainly not going to be breaking records any time soon :p

Well done, and hope you're not hurting too much today :D

Ah the run was very poor but sure hey ho.. on to the next one :D

Swim felt long for me but that's probably down to me not checking out where the exit point was and it was well hidden :D

I can't even manage to break my own PB at the min.

few scrapes and bruises but chics dig scars :cool:

So are you moving up to a sprint now,where?

Yup, sprint in limerick aug 24th....
    Sh!tting it!

You anything else lined up?

Lol... Yeah, chicks dig scars.. Just rem to put a really good story behind it! ;)

Ah you'll be grand it's not much of a jump up to sprint distance altuough you'll probably feel it on the swim.

You'll probably have a sub 30 5k time and sure a couple of kms more on the bike wont phase you at all :-)

I've the King of Greystones (try catch Gavin Noble again) then Dublin City to finish up.

Possibly a charity event or two I know of one indoor tri in Sept so I'll do that.

Good Luck in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Well done to the both of you in your tris! Sounds like you both (especially you, c07) enjoyed it! :)

• Advertisement

Well I achieved a personal milestone today :D
    I ran 5.7k without stopping to walk. Well, when I say ran, I mean jog, I guess. But it wasn't walking and that's where my personal achievement lies!

Plus.... Added bonus... I felt I could do more!! Woot woot...

So, 5.7k in 41mins. Yep, I did say slow. But I did it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Well done c07. There'll be no stopping you now!

Well done your flying it.

Well, I've been shockingly bad since that achievement. Hadn't done a thing since last tues. I have an excuse for some of the days but not all...
    So, off my @ss tonight and did an approx 17k in 45mins.
    On hols from work now, so no excuses for next two weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Have you signed up for the race in Nass yet? If so where did you do it cant seem to register on Triathlon Ireland website

Haven't decided whether I'll do it or not yet. But when I did look, I didn't see any info on registration, so I'm afraid I've no idea.
    I'd say of you throw the q out there on the forum, someone is bound to know!
    I'm guessing no announcement yet?! ;)

650m swim... Think it was approx 20mins, but not timed accurately.

I started session trying to keep head down in water as I know that really is affecting the efficiency of my swim. I did a bit over 2 lengths but just found it so difficult.
    Is it just something I have to persist with or would I need proper coaching in a technique? I was basically trying - breath in, submerge head and exhale for three strokes, then head up, to side, and inhale... And repeat..

Yep thats the way I do it I usally start off with 4 strokes then breath and every third after that. I breath out through my nose under the water counting 1-2-3breath as I go kind of exhaling through my nose as I turn to take a breath. If I feel the need I take a breath every second stroke for a length or two.

Maybe try slowing down and concentate on your technique also you could use a kick board and it will help you get used to exhaling and turning your head to the side.

Once again I'm only a shade greener than yourself :-) I jst fond if you slow everything down while training it eventually clicks and the speed/distance follow.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I think you should work on your breathing technique. It should feel effortless and natural, part of the roll to the side. Don't lift your head, just turn it as your body turns, one eye remains submerged. Your stroke creates a hollow for your breath as you come round. Its kinda cool. :)

The easiest way to master this is to have someone observe and correct your stroke.

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    I think you should work on your breathing technique. It should feel effortless and natural, part of the roll to the side. Don't lift your head, just turn it as your body turns, one eye remains submerged. Your stroke creates a hollow for your breath as you come round. Its kinda cool. :)

The easiest way to master this is to have someone observe and correct your stroke.

100% agree and it took me almost 18 months to crack it...........but i did !

Advertisement