Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat and unfit to super triathlete ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Oryx wrote: »
    I think you should work on your breathing technique. It should feel effortless and natural, part of the roll to the side. Don't lift your head, just turn it as your body turns, one eye remains submerged. Your stroke creates a hollow for your breath as you come round. Its kinda cool. :)

The easiest way to master this is to have someone observe and correct your stroke.

Very good plenty there for me to work on, have an awful problem with pulling away my left arm to quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

Ok, so I'm definitely not wrong to be spending some time on this one..
    Thanks guys. Next trip to pool I'll get one of the guys in there to observe and then, hopefully, give me the advice I need.
    See, oryx, I've seen the vids online of exactly what you describe. I guess I need to get comfortable and trust that it will work like that for me.

Whoooops.... Well it's been a loooooong while! Holidays intervened in which I only got in one 4k run! :o

So, back at club tonight and did approx 700m swim and 4k run. No idea of times but could tell lack of sessions has taken its toll.
    Hockey back tomo night so will have that additional overlap for the next few weeks. Will be interesting to see if I feel a better level of fitness to start of season vs previous years. The great thing about both tris and hockey is that the seasons complement each other. Hockey finishes just as tris are about to kick off again. Fitness all year round.... SA-WEEEEEET! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hockey? What kind of hockey? Ice hockey?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hockey? What kind of hockey? Ice hockey?

That would be field hockey DD, but has been known to become equivalent to ice hockey.. Playing in a snow blizzard last year springs to mind! :eek:

• Advertisement

I guess tonight could be considered cross training :D
    So, hockey training consisted of some core work, strength building, intervals.
    Followed by skills and a mini match.
    All in all, a good workout of just over an hour.

Anymore races for the year?

Anymore races for the year?

Worlds end in castleconnell on sat... My first proper sprint distance.. :eek:

Then sprint at tri an mhi on 7sep. That'll be me done then.

Do you think you might get a race in somewhere after baby makes an appearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hockey?! More and more messing creeping onto these boards :D

Hockey?! More and more messing creeping onto these boards :D
    Look what u started.. :p

• Advertisement

So, just did a cycle tonight. Not sure exact distance.. Was maybe about 22/23k. Took just under 50mins. Enjoyable, and relaxed really. A recovery cycle (could I call it that?!) :)

Worlds End Tri.. My first sprint. :D

Well, I wasn't last... Wasn't far from it, but I wasn't last... Totally expected to be.

So, swim was tough. I can definitely see how, if I get my head-in-water and breathing technique going, I can make good inroads on this, but with my head out of water for whole 750 and, as a result, increased resistance, my swim time was pretty darn bad. Think I was about second last out of water.
    Time:23m

Cycle was lovely, pretty flat. I think I only remember one, maybe two, toughish hills but absolutely doable.
    Time: 47m

Run was slow for me but flat (except first bit out of transition) and in hindsight I really could have pushed harder based on how I felt after the race.
    Time: 34m

A very enjoyable course. Lovely atmosphere, well organised.
    Definitely think I'd do it again next year and, knowing the course, I would hope to definitely push much harder.

So, on the home straight now. Tri an Mhi in 2 wks and my first ever tri season is over.
    Already looking forward to next year as I'll continue training thru winter and hope for very noticeable improvements next year. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Well Done,

I'd imaging there might have been a few more in the water after you and the bike was a good time. Run probably a bit slow but it's hard to know when to go so you don;t burn out.

You'll be aiming for Olympic next year now.

I'll have to give worlds end a go next year I heard good reports on it. Is the swim one direction or are there turns in it?

I like the sound of the word flat that always leads to a nice fast race.

It's hard to know when to push on the run alright did they have distance markers I always find it helps to know when you're in the last km so you can give it socks :)

Good Luck at Tri an Mhi

Thanks mr. Fred, you are too kind!

Hahahaha.. Oh yeah, Olympic next year.... And pigs will fly... Ahem!! :P

Swim was up and back, half and half. First half upstream, round a buoy then back downstream.
    They did have distance markers on the cycle and run course, I liked that.

Yeah, it definitely would be considered a fast race, I reckon. You'd enjoy it. :D

c07 wrote: »
    Thanks mr. Fred, you are too kind!

Hahahaha.. Oh yeah, Olympic next year.... And pigs will fly... Ahem!! :P

Swim was up and back, half and half. First half upstream, round a buoy then back downstream.
    They did have distance markers on the cycle and run course, I liked that.

Yeah, it definitely would be considered a fast race, I reckon. You'd enjoy it. :D

Hard work deserves praise. :-)

I'll have to add this to the list next season.

I'll have to work on my sighting a bit more I almost swam into the bridge in Athlone. Haha

Did you see pigs flying at worlds end. I bet you thought the same about a sprint. I'm looking firward to seeing those pigs at my first iron man. Haha now that'd be somethin seeing as how I'm yet to do an olympic and the thoughts of a marathon fill me with dread. :-)

Hahaha.. I'll remind you of that comment when you're heading for Kona ;)

You any more lined up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Well done c07. I know for a fact you will do an oly next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Yes, very well done!!! You've got this thing....and next year an Oly for sure!!! :)

c07 wrote: »
    Hahaha.. I'll remind you of that comment when you're heading for Kona ;)

You any more lined up?

Haha not a chance, might send my ashes over there. :cool:

Nothing more this year decided to cut my losses and get back in the pool these races get pricey if it's a long season.

I'll see you at an Oly next year I may be hanging onto your wetsuit chord :D

Ta for all ur faith in me lads and lasses!! :D

• Advertisement

22k cycle tonight. Not sure of exact time but sub 50 anyway, including dealing with traffic lights... Grrrr

So, with the nights drawing in closer and training coming close to breaking for a while over winter. I got myself into the gym this morning (took a random day off work to get stuff done!) to get an assessment done and a subsequent gym workout in place to focus on improving my fitness, my core strength and nutrition. I want next season to start with me at a good level to give myself a good shot...
    So, workout came in at 1hr20 with a mixture of strength, cardio and core. Seems like a really good workout. So, I'll aim to do this min of twice a week, alongside 2 club training sessions on alternate days.
    Then ramp up and include spinning when club training stops.

There's a test duathlon sesh with club tonight. A test run of the real deal which will be happening in a few weeks.
    So, pending EP traffic and the hubby getting home in time to take over kiddie watch :D , I'll be out doing that tonight.

I know in an earlier post I had started back at hockey training, but status has now changed and I've shifted my focus back to tris full time. As in, I've made the decision to stick with the one discipline, focus and getting optimum training and exercise for that over the winter.
    Talk about a quick change of mind, eh?!
    But, with tris this season, the buzz of hockey is just gone for me and I get it here instead..

Well check you out. To good for hockey now. :P

It's starting to sound like you're taking this triathlon lark seriously.:D

Kona here you come. :cool:

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    Kona here you come. :cool:

Bahahahahaha, I nearly spat my tea out there... :D

So, I didn't make it to the cycle/run in the end on fri. Glad I had got the gym sesh in earlier so. Lessen the guilt.
    Another gym session today. Repeat of above.

Short and sweet report today... :D

Ok, like, WTF?!
    So, tonight I decided to do my 5.7k route again. Assuming that if had succeeded in running this start to finish before, then I should do much better this time...

Well.....

Yes, my WTF statement applies cos it seemed like a disaster. So, about 2k in, I had to stop and walk. I haven't had to walk that early in a long time. Walked for a short bit, ran some more, walked a small bit, ran more. And I had to continue that for the remainder of the run. Prob ended up walking about 1.5k of route. So, yeah, seriously, WTF happened me?!

But, the bizarre thing also is, although I ran the whole duration last time, it took me 41mins.
    This time, I completed the loop in 38.14. Eh?! So, I end up with a PB by 3 mins. The only consolation I can get from that is, I guess, my running speed is improving.
    But, still p!ssed off that I had to slow 2k in. I better see huge improvements over the winter.

Haha this happens to me from time to time alright.

I ran a PB 5K in 23 mins and walked 200M of it. :confused:

I think sometimes the body needs a rest :D

I need to set up on of these logs I'm really embracing the off season. haha

Only catching up now. Well done on Worlds End tri.

So, I haven't updated in a few days.
    I think the race (Tri an Mhi), yesterday, wasn't meant to be. Was jinxed from the outset.

So, on thurs I had to pack everything up as myself and clan were leaving house on fri morning, and after work heading straight to Westmeath for night. Meant I wouldn't have an insane-o-clock start yesterday morning.
    So, on packing, couldn't find my goggles... Great start!!
    Wanted to change pedals to clip pedals.. One pedal wouldn't come off.
    Brought bike up to Dublin to bring it to bike shop. Hopped on Luas with it (I wasn't dressed for cycling!) only to see bikes not allowed. Hoped I'd get away with it. Nope... Inspectors at red cow, let me keep going to kylemore and ended up having an impromptu spin to work in flip flops. The joy!! :p

Lovely helmet hair and a general mess on arrival to work with 5mins to spare before I'd be considered late. Btw, city roads are woeful. I feared for my state of my bike.

Anyway, got to bike shop at lunch, pedals changed... Yay! Bought new (sh!tcool) goggles...

So, did a recce of cycle on arrival fri night. Some hills.. Not impossible..

Morning of race...
    Oh my f***ing god.... Freezing cold, wet and just generally miserable.
    Getting into lake was a relief as it was warmer than standing around.
    Swim was rough. Veeeeerrry choppy. I have never heard so many people shouting for help/kayaks. It seemed crazy.
    I pushed on thru to the first buoy, thinking that once I got around I could ride waves back to shore. Not that easy. The choppiness meant that even when turning head for breath I was getting mouthful and nose full of lake water. Never so glad to reach shore. Took me a few secs to get ,my land legs back too.

Cycle...
    Could hear funny noises coming from my gears but looking down at them while on the move I couldn't see anything wrong so I kept going. Should have stopped and checked in hindsight.
    Maybe about 2k in, I heard a crunch and something land on the ground. Thought something had broken off bike. But marshal yelled to me it was only a reflector so I kept going. Hit first big hill and starting shifting down the gears. Got to middle ring on sprocket and damn chain kept slipping. It was then I realised the stupid reflector must have been jammed in there at start of race (accounts for the noise) and subsequently fell off. It meant then that I just had my low gears and high gears... No middle ground :eek:
    So, hills were fun. On the bike then on the road between castlepollard and collinstown I was saying to myself I could just park up the bike at end of route and leave it at that cos my legs were feked.
    Saw my Dh and my little boys and they gave me the boost I badly needed to keep truckin on.

Legs were wrecked coming off bike. I nearly fell off after unclipping. Decided to go for the run.. Did not want DNF on my results.
    Atrocious run... Not to be repeated.

Results the worst on record for me...
    Swim 30mins :eek:
    Cycle 52mins :eek:
    Run 34mins.... Not surprising.

Not a race to be repeated. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Anyone can have a good race when everything is perfect but it takes real guts to keep going when everything turns against you.

Well done to finish in such trying circumstances.

Advertisement