Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

feeding problems

• 25-06-2013 8:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a lab/GSD X who has just turned 1. as he has grown up, he has ha a few stomach issues (mainly of his own doing from eating random stuff!) but recently he went off his puppy food. This was generally a sign that something was up, but everything checks out this time (all stools are fine). I had read that this can happen occasionally as the puppy food has too much protein and they can reject it when they are finished growing.

I decided to try him on adult food which for the first few days he wolfed down. After that, he wasn't so bothered with it and within a week is back to the way he was with the puppy food. I tried another food this week and the same thing. First few days he loves it, then he will just sniff around it and walk off.

Everything I have given him is good quality dried food. Any ideas or recommendations for me? Apart from his food, he gets very little in the way of treats. I will occasionally give him a bit of ham or raw carrot but that's about it. His stomach can't handle most of the processed treats so he doesn't get anything like that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Would you try and put some salmon oil onto the dry food? Most dogs love it and it really helps fussy eaters enjoy their food more. Also good for nice glossy coats and joints.

If you can't get it in your local pet shop then you can order through this facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/HealthyHoundsSalmonOil?fref=ts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

+1 for the salmon oil. I only started using it recently and my dogs are licking there bowls. I use Healthy Hounds too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Everything I have given him is good quality dried food. Any ideas or recommendations for me? Apart from his food, he gets very little in the way of treats. I will occasionally give him a bit of ham or raw carrot but that's about it. His stomach can't handle most of the processed treats so he doesn't get anything like that.
    Can you please give the names; there is a misconception on what's good quality at times (including my own ignorance for years) even with the best of intent; it will also help to give an idea on alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Thanks, I might give the salmon oil a try (I'll check out prices)

He has been mainly on gain big dog puppy - http://gainfeeds.com/pet/BigDogs_Puppy.html
    We then tried him on leader - http://www.redmills.ie/ie/pet/products/product/?id=522&parent=153
    This week, he is on the gain big dog adult - http://gainfeeds.com/pet/BigDogs_Adulthtml.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

They would be ok foods OP but not great IMO. I would recommend a raw diet (you will need to do research) or if you want to stick to dry food JWB, Burns, Barking Heads, Skinners are good.

• Advertisement

TillyGirl wrote: »
    They would be ok foods OP but not great IMO. I would recommend a raw diet (you will need to do research) or if you want to stick to dry food JWB, Burns, Barking Heads, Skinners are good.

I'm aware they are not top quality food, that's why I said good and not the best available. Price comes into it as well so we give him the best we can for what we can afford. He is a very healthy, active dog but my point is, no matter what type of (dried) food we give him, he loses interest in it after a short while.

OP, do you get your food locally rather than online?

As mentioned Skinners would be a good food and it's not too expensive. ~€25 from Amazon. It has simple ingredients like Burns but with slightly higher protein and oils/fats. I think it would even be better than gain/leader.

paultf wrote: »
    OP, do you get your food locally rather than online?

As mentioned Skinners would be a good food and it's not too expensive. ~€25 from Amazon. It has simple ingredients like Burns but with slightly higher protein and oils/fats. I think it would even be better than gain/leader.

I get it locally. Do you have a link on amazon? I've had a look and it's still coming in at €45 when delivery is counted in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'm aware they are not top quality food, that's why I said good and not the best available. Price comes into it as well so we give him the best we can for what we can afford. He is a very healthy, active dog but my point is, no matter what type of (dried) food we give him, he loses interest in it after a short while.

OP, what happens after he walks away from the food? He won't starve himself - are you waiting for him to finish while you're there?

Some dogs can be funny about eating while watched or while there's activity around them. If you take the food up and offer something else you're making trouble for yourself.

You can either leave it down until he eats it, or make a giant production out of leaving it down for him, wait 15 mins and then take it up and put it away, offering nothing until the next due meal, at which point you make the same fuss of 'ringing the dinner gong' as it were. The second method usually encourages a dog to eat when served and finish promptly.

He must be still eating something - what is it about his reticence that bothers you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Would you try and put some salmon oil onto the dry food? Most dogs love it and it really helps fussy eaters enjoy their food more. Also good for nice glossy coats and joints.

If you can't get it in your local pet shop then you can order through this facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/HealthyHoundsSalmonOil?fref=ts
    +1 for the salmon oil. I only started using it recently and my dogs are licking there bowls. I use Healthy Hounds too.

Mad, was just about to suggest :D

Ours is super fussy and suffers intermittent digestive upsets. Eukanuba sensitive dried and a dash of salmon oil - she clears the plate and zero digestive issues.

Also, we switched to one feed a day to make sure she is hungry when we put the food down. Hunger is the best sauce and all that :)

• Advertisement

I get it locally. Do you have a link on amazon? I've had a look and it's still coming in at €45 when delivery is counted in

If you contact Skinners http://www.skinnerspetfoods.co.uk/ they will send samples.

Your figure seems to be for a once off order. Amazon are changing things around since the last time I used them.

For £20.69 you need to set up "Subscribe & Save" (on the right-hand-side) which gives you a further 10% discount though you need to set up a monthly delivery date to get this. But you will get free delivery.

You can cancel or change the delivery date.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skinners-Field-Trial-Duck-Rice/dp/B003EGMHL2/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1372168409&sr=1-1&keywords=skinners+duck+and+rice

OP, what happens after he walks away from the food? He won't starve himself - are you waiting for him to finish while you're there?

Some dogs can be funny about eating while watched or while there's activity around them. If you take the food up and offer something else you're making trouble for yourself.

You can either leave it down until he eats it, or make a giant production out of leaving it down for him, wait 15 mins and then take it up and put it away, offering nothing until the next due meal, at which point you make the same fuss of 'ringing the dinner gong' as it were. The second method usually encourages a dog to eat when served and finish promptly.

He must be still eating something - what is it about his reticence that bothers you?

Don't worry, I'm definitely not giving him something else if he doesn't eat! I guess I'm just trying to figure out why really..
    OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Mad, was just about to suggest :D

Ours is super fussy and suffers intermittent digestive upsets. Eukanuba sensitive dried and a dash of salmon oil - she clears the plate and zero digestive issues.

Also, we switched to one feed a day to make sure she is hungry when we put the food down. Hunger is the best sauce and all that :)

I might try the salmon oil but I'll see how I go with the different food first
    If you contact Skinners http://www.skinnerspetfoods.co.uk/ they will send samples.

Your figure seems to be for a once off order. Amazon are changing things around since the last time I used them.

For £20.69 you need to set up "Subscribe & Save" (on the right-hand-side) which gives you a further 10% discount though you need to set up a monthly delivery date to get this. But you will get free delivery.

You can cancel or change the delivery date.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skinners-Field-Trial-Duck-Rice/dp/B003EGMHL2/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1372168409&sr=1-1&keywords=skinners+duck+and+rice

Much appreciated. I've signed up so I should get my first bag in a few days. It's cheaper than the stuff he normally gets and if it's better for him that's great! We'll try him on that so it should rule out any food allergies and then go from there.

Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭greengold9999

+ one from me on the salmon oil, mine lick the spoon and love it on their grub. You might also try wetting the food. One of mine at this time of year does not like it dry but gobbles it once I soften it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

I put sunfloweer oil, tinned tuna, cracked egg over my guy's nuts every now and again. If you know he's not sick then like The Sweeper said, i'd pick it up and give it back to him at his next meal time.

Advertisement