Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry skin - lumps - blood - outer ears?

• 25-06-2013 8:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Could be going to vets later but wondering if anyone had an idea what this is?

Darby has several small lumps on his outer ears. They seem hard but can easily be picked. A clump of hair with a dry top comes away to reveal a spot of blood with dry skin around it.

(Darby has also been licking his front leg but this has eased off - the vet suggested an allergy like pollen but I think it is do with anxiety/habit due to the new pup.)

Plan on using some medicated shampoo and spray this morning.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

paultf wrote: »
    Could be going to vets later but wondering if anyone had an idea what this is?

Darby has several small lumps on his outer ears. They seem hard but can easily be picked. A clump of hair with a dry top comes away to reveal a spot of blood with dry skin around it.

(Darby has also been licking his front leg but this has eased off - the vet suggested an allergy like pollen but I think it is do with anxiety/habit due to the new pup.)

Plan on using some medicated shampoo and spray this morning.

imho a trip to the vets first to find out what you are trying to treat would be best

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nicola.F.38

jimf wrote: »
    imho a trip to the vets first to find out what you are trying to treat would be best

Sounds like dermatitis, is the skin between his paws red?? That's a sign as are the spots also if he seems to have a strong smell from his coat! My dog has it, it's easily treated but you should take him to your vet to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

The skin between his paws is alright.

Thought it only affected the outside of his ears but checked the rest of his body and found some more: small dry spots that pull off very easily, hair comes with it and leaves behind a small spot of blood with dry skin around it.

I have just washed him with medicated shampoo - this is what I got the last time I was in the vets for an allergy.

I was thinking of washing again during the week. It doesn't seem to be bothering him i.e. no scratching etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nicola.F.38

Sounds exactly like my dogs spots and the rawness too. We were told to wash every 2nd day for a week then at least once a week....esp in the warm weather.

Advertisement