Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son at creche

Options
  • 25-06-2013 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just looking for advice here. My son (3.5) says some of the other toddlers are hitting him at creche. I have seen some of these kids at play dates and I have seen them hit them. Let's just say they are prone to frustration outbursts.

He doesn't hit back. I spoke to creche - who are brilliant about it and they say their policy is to split kids up if it happens. No "time out" for the instigator. Also they say he is able to give as he is able to take. I guess he behaves differently when I am not around.

Now, the guy I believe who hits is also his friend so I guess they are acting like they are brothers. Playing and then squabbling.

I keep telling my son if it happens to say "I don't like that" and to walk away. The problem of course is if some kid is just buzzing and not being malicious I don't my kid getting upset and I don't want to be over protective.

Before anyone gets on their high horse, there are no other childcare options available.

Perhaps another Dad might have had similar problem with a sensitive kid and can share thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

It sounds like you're doing the right thing. Getting your kid to say "Stop doing that" or "No, I don't like that" is a good approach. Hopefully the other kid is jsut messing and will settle his behaviour. If you want ask the girls at creche for more details - do they make the kids apologise to each other? Do they make sure the kids understand that you say sorry when you've hurt someone - even if it was an accident? I work with this age group and sometimes kids can't get their head around the fact that what they thoguht was just a game was actually upsetting someone else. Obviously the staff who are there everyday are better placed to see it - if you're concerned you can always ask to meet with them.

Do you know the parents of the other kids? Do you know their feelings on the whole thing?

It's tough at this age because kis are SO full of energy and you want to let them play without worrying but you also don't want anyone to get hurt or upset.

Encouraging your son to point out when he doesn't like someone's behaviour is good - you could also suggest that if he says this and the other child's behaviour continues he could speak to a teacher/carer.

Advertisement