Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Few Thoughts On Irish Landlords & Owning Property in Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,472 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ok, I have just read the blog. What a load of cobblers. And I am not Irish, though I have lived here 40 years. Your main gripe seems to be that buying property does not mean that you are automatically taken into the bosom of the local community. Right. Why would the fact that you own your house rather than rent it make any difference to your neighbours' attitude towards you?

Its not the same here as at home? Right! again, if you want things to be just like at home, well the US is thataway.

If you are writing for the benefit of people at home, and don't want derisive comments from locals here, why draw attention to it on an Irish chat site. There must be things that you like about Ireland or you wouldn't be here, so why not look at the glass being half full rather than half empty? You are probably right about some of the things you talk about, its a bit hard to tell what your argument is exactly, but really, it does sound a bit petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

gdkaufmann wrote: »

Regardless, why hang onto them if they are outdated, and unhygienic, particularly if there is an easy alternative?

Plumbing standards in other countries generally have a non-return valve; ours either didn't or still don't. Old mixer taps were very prone to putting hot water back in to the cold, which may or may not have been the mains supply.

Other than that - there's a mass amount of sinks with two taps out there, and people don't like change.

I HATE the bastards myself, I'm currently trying to decide whether to redo the entire bathroom or just the sink to get a proper mixer installed.
    beauf wrote: »
    Construction in Ireland has always been poor.

Most 1930s-1970s tract houses, maybe a bit later with social housing, houses in Ireland are built to extremely high standards. Believe me, I've done in enough drills on them in a previous job... it was only in the 1980s recession that standards started to seriously slip from what I can see. And for some reason they've not improved since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I've never NOT seen it be true in the US. Americans expect things to actually be fit for the purpose.

Are you genuinely suggesting that two seperate taps are not fit for the purpose of performing ones ablutions in the morning or washing your hands after using the toilet?:eek:

With regard to the OP I must apologise for the snide comments in my previous post. Having said that they felt broadly in line with the linked article and several other blog posts I read, the tone of which is genrally "I'm brand new in this country but here's what wrong with it... (spoilers: Things aren't done the way they are in the US)." given that such an approach is one sided and unfair it's hardly surprising that it doesn't meet with much approval here. perhaps with some balance and plenty of charm it might be different. Bill Bryson would be a good example of being successful at doing it.

As regards the linked blog post specifically, it fails for me because it sets out a derogatory thesis, moves into a self described rant mode and then finishes having failed to establish its thesis or provide any context by making valid comparisons with other landlords around the world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I was reluctant to read this blog after seeing the comments so far but bit the bullet this afternoon. To be fair the OP does make some good points like the building standards issue and the short termism but over all I find the passage simplistic, generalist and condescending.

To address 1 or 2 points
    Sadly, stories abound of people who’ve lived somewhere for decades and are still thought of as being “fly-ins”, “from away”, or whatever the local pejorative happens to be.

This is people being people. If I (as an Irish person) was to buy a farm in a small Irish town I would never be considered a local there. My children's children might. The same is true if I bought in small town USA, small town Russia or small town Persian Empire. It's nonsense but small town mentalities prevail in every country on Earth. By the same point were I to buy a house in a larger town/city it would depend on me as to whether I joined a community or not.

Regarding the 'bureaucratic and banking obstacles'? There are none really. If you have cash you can buy straight off. If you need a loan then you will be scrutinised which I don't think anyone would find unreasonable. There are few pitfalls here such as right of ways (France) for example.

Then you go on to rant about landlords which is just that, a rant. Full of generalisations and clichés. Then the rest is condescending and most likely looking for a strong reaction.

coming soon 'Why The Irish Like Being Ruled'
    seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sadly, stories abound of people who’ve lived somewhere for decades and are still thought of as being “fly-ins”, “from away”, or whatever the local pejorative happens to be.
    I like the way that Americans wanted Obamas birth cert to show that he's an American. I see this as ironic in relation to the above quote :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I think the OP is starting a blog, if it's thrown into some forums, it will get extra views, 'there's no such thing as bad publicity', I have been a tenent and a caretaker in the USA, I have been a tenant and a landlord in Ireland....both countries have good and bad landlords and good and bad tenants, can't tar everyone with the same brush, good luck getting the numbers up for your blog though........

Advertisement