Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sub-text on the BBC

Options
  • 25-06-2013 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Up to fairly late last year I was able to get sub-text on the BBC and many other channels. Then they all stopped and most programmes only have text if they are in a foreign language. I tried to contact the BBC through their website but there isn't an email address to do so. It's a disappointment as there were many programmes I used to enjoy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

First off, how are you watching BBC? Through Sky, through a satellite, or what? I ask as when you say "fairly late last year", I'm thinking "digital switch-over", so they may only be available through the newer technologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭joanmul

That's a good question. No we don't have Sky but we have NTL so not having Sky shouldn't be a factor, should it?

I'l check at lunchtime if BBC does subs through Sky.

Reading http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056041250 it seems like it may have been phased out?

Right, back from lunch. BBC1 HD, BBC2 HD, and BBC NI all had subtitles whilst viewing them on Sky. From reading the above thread, it seems UPC may broadcast an analogue feed, and thus no subs.

That explains a lot. Is that a cost saving measure for UPC, do you think? What would be the best way to complain to UPC, if that is the case.

• Advertisement

joanmul wrote: »
    That explains a lot. Is that a cost saving measure for UPC, do you think? What would be the best way to complain to UPC, if that is the case.
    Not really. I think they always got he analogue feed, but as most companies have recently stopped using ceefex teletext subtitles (as a different technology is used for digital subtitles) you may no longer get the subtitles?

Probably best asking in the Cable tech forum; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54 about if the UPC box which you have is capable of receiving the subtitles, and if it is, if you need to change any settings.

If you do find out how to fix it, I'd encourage you to post the solution on this thread, so that others with the problem could find the solution within the H&D forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

the_syco wrote: »
    Not really. I think they always got he analogue feed, but as most companies have recently stopped using ceefex teletext subtitles (as a different technology is used for digital subtitles) you may no longer get the subtitles?

Probably best asking in the Cable tech forum; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54 about if the UPC box which you have is capable of receiving the subtitles, and if it is, if you need to change any settings.

If you do find out how to fix it, I'd encourage you to post the solution on this thread, so that others with the problem could find the solution within the H&D forum.

I've got UPC. Subtitles are fine on most british channels, including the BBC ones

I've got UPC. Subtitles are fine on most british channels, including the BBC ones
    Cool. Would you have any idea why the OP's subtitles stopped just before xmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

the_syco wrote: »
    Cool. Would you have any idea why the OP's subtitles stopped just before xmas?

Not being funny, but maybe someone or a visitor in the OPs house turned off the automatic subtitles (press info button on remote to check). Other than that, I wouldn't know any other cause as i've got the latest upc box while my grandad has the old box at his house with the ntl branding and there's no issues with subtitles with either.. perhaps the op has an old tv? If problem still persists i'd be tweeting the upc help team.

Not being funny, but maybe someone or a visitor in the OPs house turned off the automatic subtitles (press info button on remote to check). Other than that, I wouldn't know any other cause as i've got the latest upc box while my grandad has the old box at his house with the ntl branding and there's no issues with subtitles with either.. perhaps the op has an old tv? If problem still persists i'd be tweeting the upc help team.
    Ah no, I realise that you're not taking the piss. I don't know how the subtitles work with UPC, but from the other thread;
    icdg wrote: »
    Ceefax and Teletext Limited are now legacy services. The UK is well along the road to digital switch-off. Once the last UK region goes digital, they will both be gone. You won't find Teletext Limited on the digital satellite versions (except the Open TV based Teletext Holidays service, which is seperate). As for Ceefax, its digital satellite version was completely pulled, although a small service with some news and programming information was later re-instated in one of the few examples of the BBC catering to ex-pats on a licence fee service (basically, its for viewers on the continent who receive the BBC sourced from a digital satellite feed).

What I'm saying is, don't jump platform to find teletext. Teletext as we know it is going from BBC, ITV, and Channel 4. Its in phase-out mode and in two years time will be completely gone. On all platforms. The BBC is now putting its money into BBC Red Button. If you want to jump to digital satellite for that, go ahead, it is likely to be (in the long term) the only ROI platform the service is available on. In the short term, Ceefax is still on BBC Two Northern Ireland on UPC.
    and so I wasn't sure was it simply switched off, or not.

joanmul; could you check your settings on the off chance that they're switched off? If you don't know how to, Get In There may be able to help direct you.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It depends on the UPC service you have, if it's the UPC analogue service (4:3 picture) then the subtitles may have stopped working when teletext switched off.

The other poster may have UPC digital, which has subtitles on some services (although not HD?).

That's a possibility. I'll show my son this thread. He could have accidentally turned them off when he was around visiting. He's a bit more tech-savvy than I am so I'll show him these comments and he might be able to sort it out. Thanks everyone for your comments and I will post up what happens, whether we get to solve it.

Well folks, we've solved the problem! Yes, the setting was switched off. I didn't even know how to get the menu up, never mind switching the setting on or off, so I can't be the guilty one who put the spanner in the works! Glad that's solved, though, and thanks everyone for your input.

Advertisement