Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with excel

Options
  • 25-06-2013 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am trying to create a holiday tracker in excel. I have no proble creating a table to count the number of time that "holiday" appears. THe problem is that with new people being added to the list in alphebetical order the row in which a persons name may move and I need a way of the table updating so its not counting the wrong persons days.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Add new employees into a new row at the end of the table. Once you have their line arranged, scroll up to the top and arrange the names column "A->Z," it'll give you an option to move the items in each row together with their corresponding columns. Select Yes/Continue for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eamonncarthy

Is there any way just to link it to the name at the start of the row?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If you have the names listed in a column, such as

names days worked annual leave due
    person 1 20 1
    person 2 40 2
    person 3 12 3
    New guy 0 0

And then arrange the names column by A->Z

names days worked annual leave due
    New guy 0 0
    person 1 20 1
    person 2 40 2
    person 3 12 3

And select expand selection, that'll do what you're looking to do. It'll keep the rows relative to the column being filtered/arranged.

Problem is I have 52 worksheets on for each week. I therefore have to highlight every person individually on each wee which is very time consuming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

For something like this I'd use Access. In the long run it would be simpler. Less error Prone.

• Advertisement

Problem is I have 52 worksheets on for each week. I therefore have to highlight every person individually on each wee which is very time consuming.

You don't highlight everyone, You only highlight the column that the names are in.

Although... I'm kind of thinking is there any value in having so many worksheets within the spreadsheet?

Might be worth re-thinking that strategy, particularly when it comes to changes.

Its layout is like this
    Monday 25 Tuesday 26 Wednesday 27 Thursday 28 Friday 29
    billy bob Work Work Holiday Work Work
    Jimmy bob Work Work Work Work Work

So in using countif function I have to go through each sheet and highlight the days after their name on each sheet

Advertisement