If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

multi zone AV receiver

Options
  • 25-06-2013 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

[size=10pt][font=Verdana, sans-serif]I recently moved into a newbuild which has been pre-wired for speakers in 4 zones. [/font][/size] Whilelooking for an AV receiver to suit all 4 zones I see from previous posts this is not possible when working on a budget and trying not to over complicate thewiring and control.
    [size=10pt][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][/size]
    [size=10pt][font=Verdana, sans-serif]My preference would be to lookfor options of either 2 or 3 zones.[/font][/size]
    [size=10pt][font=Verdana, sans-serif]The AV will be placed in aroom and connected with the NAS/router and there is a CAT 5 cable going from the NAS/AV area to the rear of the TV so any system which would benefit from this would be great. [/font][/size]

[size=10pt][font=Verdana, sans-serif]I am also looking for theability to connect to iPhone/iPad and from a control point of view an App would be the preferable option.[/font][/size]

[size=10pt][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for anu help[/font][/size]

[size=10pt][font=Verdana, sans-serif]John[/font][/size]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Johnny, cheers for the post.

Can I just check a couple of things with you before I recommend a few bits and pieces ?

Are you planning on playing the same music to each of the zones at the same time ?

What sources are you looking to play through the amp ? Iphone, cd, NAS etc etc.

Can the receiver be hard wired to the router ?

Sorry, just need to narrow this down a little as some of the receivers have limitations when it comes to the multizone.

Many thanks

Dave....sorry one last thing, budget. What are you trying to stay under ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JohnnyWan

Dave,

thanks for coming back to me

would look to play different music in different zones at the same time.

Iphone, cd, nas 

Yes the receiver can be hard wired to the router.

Budget - would like to stay around the €500 but would review if this limited my choice

cheers
    John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi John, the problem you have here is the 3rd zone.

The Yamaha RXV673 which is £399.95 / €489 will do audio in the first zone with different audio in the second zone. This receiver will not allow a third zone and to get that in the Yamaha range, you have to go up to the Yamaha 2020 which would massively blow the budget. The 3rd zone tends to be reserved for the higher end models.

The most cost effective receiver that I know of is the Onkyo TXNR818. This model has just been replaced by the new 828 but the 818 is down to £599.95.

The only issue with this is that the receiver is limited in the sources you can play thorugh the second and third zones. It is purely limited to analogue sources, such as CD player, sky box connected with analogues etc etc. The iphone & cd would not be a problem but the NAS will be.

No digital sources can be played. This is very similar to the Pioneer range of receivers.

Yamaha have the most flexible multi zone offering but the cost is the issue.

This is probably not what you are looking for but I suspect that the features that you need and the budget may collide a little.

The only other option would be to go for the likes of the 673 and have it do 2 sources and then add a Sonos zone for the third which would play from the NAS.

Let me know what you think of this and just to let you know that the stock of the 818 is vanishing quite quickly as the new one is £999 !

Thanks

Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.