Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I only polished it about a month ago, no harm in having another go at it I guess. :p
    I've seen consistently good reviews about that stuff alright, think I'll have to try some. Get the order in tomorrow, get more applicator pads and a micro fibre for good measure. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

If you were getting EGP again, the HD Wax will bond well to it, if you were planning on layering a sealant and wax!

Sealants generally look best on silvers, but there are lots of options.
    Another one that might be worth trying is Bilt Hamber Finis Wax; its very durable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Anything in particular that should be done on a silver car? It's a good colour to have if you're not going to dedicate much time to cleaning, and it hides scratches well, but it's a cnut when you put so much time into it and it just doesn't show off the work in comparison to other colours.

Yeah, Silver is a bit of a "grey area" :p
    Looks pretty good if its dirty and looks a bit better even after spending hours on it! :D

Lighter colours are very hard to get that wet look from the paint that you get with black, blues, reds, etc.
    For that reason, its better to try achieve a sharp look, and as a rule of thumb, sealants do this best.

Werkstat Jett is one of the best things Ive seen on silver/white, it manages to get a wet look.
    Found that Bilt Hamber Finis Wax, in the sun really makes the fleck in the paint stand out.

Thing is, the secret to getting any paint looking brilliant is preparation, preparation, preparation!! I find that the use of a good fallout remover /de-ironiser, really makes a massive difference on lighter coloured cars, as darker colours can hide the slight contamination in the paint better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

On the silver.
    I am going to sound like a certain Gtechniq fanboy on here now :D

I love Collinite 845 on my silver.
    Looks brilliant and simple to use.

vectra wrote: »
    I am going to sound like a certain Gtechniq fanboy on here now :D

That ship has sailed!! :D

Curran wrote: »
    That ship has sailed!! :D

:confused::eek:

vectra wrote: »
    :confused::eek:

How you go on about 845....ah never mind! :D

How you go on about 845....ah never mind! :D

Smartar$e :D

• Advertisement

Not working on the Silver anymore, lads. :p
    Just trying to bring out the best in this, something about the finish always seems a bit dull.
    It'll be getting another polish because there's a few scrapes I want to work out the best I can.

9942136404_211066f5cf_c.jpg
    Roadster by CianRyan, on Flickr

Have to get some metal polish for that tip too!

Borrow that DA from Scortho :p and give it a light polish. Finishing pad and finishing polish. Will bring the colour back to original, but wont give much correction. Revealing a fresh layer of paint will make a major difference!

If you werent too concerned about durabilty, Chemical Guys Blacklight, topped up with Chemical Guys Pete's53 would look brilliant on that!

If I'm laying it should be durable enough anyway, I'll take the recommendation I reckon and I might see about robbing the DA too. :p

Now, prepare to take my money!

Britemax extreme elements topped with britemax Vantage.

CianRyan wrote: »
    Now, prepare to take my money!

You make it sound as though it will be painful for me! :D:D

Only painful for me... Not telling my girlfriend about that order. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Borrow that DA from Scortho :p and give it a light polish. Finishing pad and finishing polish. Will bring the colour back to original, but wont give much correction. Revealing a fresh layer of paint will make a major difference!

If you werent too concerned about durabilty, Chemical Guys Blacklight, topped up with Chemical Guys Pete's53 would look brilliant on that!

You just want someone else to sell pads and polish too:pac:

Ya mean you wouldnt help a mate out by letting him use yours?? ;)

Ya mean you wouldnt help a mate out by letting him use yours?? ;)

Nah he can polish by hand:pac:

Scortho wrote: »
    Nah he can polish by hand:pac:

Sound, I'll remember that. :P

Does this count as detailing:

2B51F2543B8E40F7980133FFAE5C9CC3-0000333410-0003438744-00800L-56041E7BE21340AB9E4E54E7DE1A5534.jpg

2250F2EBAE9641B6960B84C9ACCDFC26-0000333410-0003438745-00800L-1B561722D0E242DA9649603DA516398E.jpg

I am cheating there, though.. they're two different wheels. I forgot to take a 'before' of the first wheel so it's a 'before' of the second and 'after' of the first (i only did the front two). They looked much the same anyway. Couldn't seem to get rid of the last bit of dirt though. Was driving me mad. :(

• Advertisement

Sound, I'll remember that. :P

Sure it'll only be practice for you once your girlfriend finds out that her christmas present this year, is detailing supplies:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

I am cheating there, though.. they're two different wheels. I forgot to take a 'before' of the first wheel so it's a 'before' of the second and 'after' of the first (i only did the front two). They looked much the same anyway. Couldn't seem to get rid of the last bit of dirt though. Was driving me mad. :(
    Presume the last bits are tar? Did you use any kind of de-tarring product on them?

Sure it'll only be practice for you once your girlfriend finds out that her christmas present this year, is detailing supplies:pac:

Sure she likes cleaning, she's always cleaning my room. :pac:

KKV, you're gonna need some purpose alloy wheel cleaner and a detailing brush for that stuff, then seal it with Autoglym Wheel Seal, really easy to apply and the dust just falls off the wheels. ;)

Sure she likes cleaning, she's always cleaning my room. :pac:

KKV, you're gonna need some purpose alloy wheel cleaner and a detailing brush for that stuff, then seal it with Autoglym Wheel Seal, really easy to apply and the dust just falls off the wheels. ;)

Im trying to convince my one to get me some detailing stuff or petrol vouchers, but she's adamant she won't buy anything car related for christmas :mad:
    So she won't be given any hints this year:D

Presume the last bits are tar? Did you use any kind of de-tarring product on them?

A build up of tar and iron deposits!
    Would require fallout remover / de-ironiser to get them back to close to 100%

Does this count as detailing

Well it's certainly a job that would be well beyond the scope of a valet, so yes, it definitely is. Going well for a newbie! ;):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Im trying to convince my one to get me some detailing stuff or petrol vouchers, but she's adamant she won't buy anything car related for christmas :mad:
    Haha. I tried similar for my 30th next month. My list of things were a remap for the 159, fixing of a dent that someone's after leaving me and Mondello. Told I think about my car too much so i'm not allowed anything to do with it. She's very jealous of the time I spend with the car polishing, waxing etc.

I blame (thank) Curran for that!

Im trying to convince my one to get me some detailing stuff or detailing vouchers

She'll give in! Great stocking fillers!! ;):p

She'll give in! Great stocking fillers!! ;):p

I hope so:pac:

When I suggested detailing stuff, she suggested going down to deals.....:rolleyes:

KKV, you're gonna need some purpose alloy wheel cleaner and a detailing brush for that stuff, then seal it with Autoglym Wheel Seal, really easy to apply and the dust just falls off the wheels. wink.png
    A build up of tar and iron deposits!
    Would require fallout remover / de-ironiser to get them back to close to 100%

I'm not sure what it is, to be honest. It could well be. I was using an alloy wheel cleaner spray that I have that came with a small brush to 'aggitate' the spray into a lather and then i was using a sponge to rub it off (it took a fair old beating though, to get it off. I was at it for a lot longer than I had anticipated).

I'll try again sometime, but I'll get that sealer for next time, so to make life easier for future attempts (admittedly, this isn't something I'd intend on doing a lot, but as I've a bit of time to be dedicating to it at the moment I see no harm in giving it a shot).

Well it's certainly a job that would be well beyond the scope of a valet, so yes, it definitely is. Going well for a newbie! ;):)

Ah, it's all still just new to me. There's a novelty to it and I enjoy the car looking good.

But I'm sure it won't take too long until the mixture of Irish weather and realising what a lot of work is involved; makes me decide to give up in favour of cleaning it once a year instead by throwing a single bucket of water over it from a distance.

That's something I'm curious of.. Is the average person here just after getting their car recently? Or change cars a lot? I wonder how many people are spending a lot of time and effort cleaning up their car to pristine condition, if they've had the same car for over two or three years.

At what point will the average persons enthusiasm calm down a bit...

My brake pads are gone, so I took it to a mechanic yesterday (to diagnose that it actually was the brake pads). He took it for a spin around the block and when he came back there was muck on the side that sprayed up from the front wheel. I have to admit a little part of me died inside when I seen it. :(

But at the same time, I didn't clean it off, because I want to have a great 'before and after' for next time I clean it, to keep myself feeling good about putting so much effort into washing it in the first place. :D

Maybe it's just me that's a bit sad, though. :o

• Advertisement

At what point will the average persons enthusiasm calm down a bit...

... I have to admit a little part of me died inside when I seen it. :(

But at the same time, I didn't clean it off, because I want to have a great 'before and after' for next time I clean it, to keep myself feeling good about putting so much effort into washing it in the first place. :D

Maybe it's just me that's a bit sad, though. :o

I'll break it to you gently!! :p

Im afraid you have OCD!! :o

Welcome to all of our worlds! ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

hope you didn't use that scouring pad that's resting face down on a cavity block to clean them :pac:

nice job all the same :) plenty of elbow grease i'd say.

hope you didn't use that scouring pad that's resting face down on a cavity block to clean them :pac:

nice job all the same :) plenty of elbow grease i'd say.

Of course not.. that'd just be.. erm... stupid... right... :o

:pac:

Okay, I did use that. But In my defense, it was about as rough as an inflated balloon. It wasn't really any good and anytime it came into contact with any rough surface it just fell apart in my hand. :o

EDIT: Just to clarify though, I used two of them. One on each wheel, and neither were face down in any gravel or dirt during the 'cleaning' process. Im aware of how easy it is to pick up bits of dirt, stone, etc. and accidentally rub it into the wheel (or car) when wiping it down. One of the first things i read about (though it is sorta common sense, anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

In my family's Christmas lists they have all been told vouchers for detailing products is what I want.

Lets hope they listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

9942136404_211066f5cf_c.jpg

My old MX: https://www.facebook.com/jamsedownes/media_set?set=a.479456205428910.100267.100000936039694&type=3

I loved this car SOOooo much :( now its gone, what a driving experience open top is like no other and esp when you are in a true sports car (ffs i have to have another some day)

MX-5 paint is single stage as you will see the pads will have colour transfer.

Finishing polish will make the paint lush again BUT remember to work the polish's for long enough braking them down this is key to a true gloss.

My old MX: https://www.facebook.com/jamsedownes/media_set?set=a.479456205428910.100267.100000936039694&type=3

I loved this car SOOooo much :( now its gone, what a driving experience open top is like no other and esp when you are in a true sports car (ffs i have to have another some day)

MX-5 paint is single stage as you will see the pads will have colour transfer.

Finishing polish will make the paint lush again BUT remember to work the polish's for long enough braking them down this is key to a true gloss.

You're pictures not showing up for me. :(
    Throw it on Tinypic, Facebook is weird like that sometimes.

Yeah, I've noticed that transfer with SRP, I was afraid of taking too much off!
    I'll have another go at it, really work it in and get the last of the "dead" spots out.

You're welcome to a go of it, just give me a few tips on keeping it looking well. :p

Mmmm srp is not a polish really

Mmmm srp is not a polish really

For real? Damn!
    I'll have to order a new polish... Give my girlfriend time to calm down about my last order though. :o

Cool down period

• Advertisement

Would love to polish an MX again.

As I said, I'm always here. :D
    I'm going to strip it right back soon and go from the start, once I grab a new polish. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Guys, some advice please.
    I've an older car, and the paint isn't in the best nick. Even after a machine wsh/powerwash is never looks sparkling clean. I'm gonna have a few days off work in January. So figure I might spend a day sorting it out. However, I'll have to do it fully by hand. No water/power outside out block so hose, powerwasher or rotary buffers are out. Am I wasting my time attempting this.

Plan was to keep is simple.
    Internally:
    Vacuum, carpet clean, vinyl and trim polish.

Extenally:
    Wash, T-Cut paint restorer, Wax/Polish

Is it worth a shot, or will I be left with a streaky mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Mellor wrote: »
    Guys, some advice please.
    I've an older car, and the paint isn't in the best nick. Even after a machine wsh/powerwash is never looks sparkling clean. I'm gonna have a few days off work in January. So figure I might spend a day sorting it out. However, I'll have to do it fully by hand. No water/power outside out block so hose, powerwasher or rotary buffers are out. Am I wasting my time attempting this.

Plan was to keep is simple.
    Internally:
    Vacuum, carpet clean, vinyl and trim polish.

Extenally:
    Wash, T-Cut paint restorer, Wax/Polish

Is it worth a shot, or will I be left with a streaky mess.

Well you'll need access to water to get it clean before you start. TBH you are wasting your time with t cut. To get it looking as good as possible by hand you'll need to wash it, de-ter, clay, polish it with a product like Auto glym Super Resin Polish (possibly twice) and then 2-3 coats of either AG HD wax or AG extra gloss protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Well you'll need access to water to get it clean before you start. TBH you are wasting your time with t cut. To get it looking as good as possible by hand you'll need to wash it, de-ter, clay, polish it with a product like Auto glym Super Resin Polish (possibly twice) and then 2-3 coats of either AG HD wax or AG extra gloss protection.

I have access to water but not a hose, good old fashion bucket and sponge.
    I live in australia so products might not be the same. What's the difference between polish and wax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

If you live in OZ, have a look at these products http://optimumcarcare.com.au/category/1/washing_&_drying.html

No rinse wash, GPS (cleans, polishes and protects paintwork) and car wax spray (protects paint).

• Advertisement

First off, ditch the sponge....get yourself a wash mitt and two buckets. One bucket with your shampoo and the other as a rinse bucket. Mitt into the shampoo bucket, wash one panel and then dunk it into the rinse bucket to remove the dirt and grit. Then mitt into the shampoo bucket. Continue this process panel by panel until clean.

You will be able to get the proper products if you google "detailing supplies Australia"

Polish is used to remove a very thin layer from the top of the paintwork to reveal a fresh layer of paint. The top layer, over time will become oxidised and contaminated. By polishing by hand you are removing this and restoring the paint. Exfoliating for paintwork in a way.

Wax is protection for your paintwork so to limit the return of oxidation and contamination. It also gives the paintwork a certain amount of enhancement to the appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Curran - I think you will have to have a sticky at the top of the page on what you need to do to when washing the car!

I have a "How To Guide" and a "List of Products I Recommend" that I can PM onto anyone who wants it!
    I wouldn't be allowed to post it directly onto the forum!

I have a "How To Guide" and a "List of Products I Recommend" that I can PM onto anyone who wants it!
    I wouldn't be allowed to post it directly onto the forum!

Why not?
    If you remove and links to the website it should be grand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Got some c2v3 after it being recommended on here. So so easy to use and i'm impressed with the results so far. Waiting for it to rain to see the beading.

Also used rainex on the windscreen, seems like good stuff too.

Nice reflection:
    vYJM7hCl.jpg

p2s0dQel.jpg?1

• Advertisement
Advertisement