Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Cleaned the inside of the windscreen. Put it off for so long as I know glass is tricky, but it was super greasy on the inside. Time will tell if I did a good enough job or not, but hopefully driving into the sun won't reveal streaks and smudges.

Also done the rear window of my mam's car because that was even worse. Even after 2 passes it was stubborn and greasy. Hopefully it helped.

Also done the wheels with Auto Wheel. I get paranoid using a garden pump that I'm not rinsing properly as I don't want to leave strong chemicals lingering. If the ban is extended to October I don't care, I'm using the pressure washer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

If you want to be sure of a properly clean and streak-free surface on the interior glass, I would advise using AutoGlym glass polish after cleaning.

I use Gtechniq G6 Perfect Glass to clean it first. It has IPA in it so it does an incredible job at removing any grease/dirt on the glass and leaves minimal streaking. AG glass polish afterwards ensures all streaks are gone plus it has anti-static properties in the film it leaves therefore less dust/grease is attracted to it and condensation sticks to dirt and grease.

It does take some work but the effort is worth it in the long run as long as you only use the demister and fan (with A/C on all the time) to defog and not a cloth or your hand.

Car is in getting a service probably getting scrubbed with a deck brush so I half cleaned my mam's Mokka X. It's barely driven and mainly covered in webs and bird crap. Just needed a Sunday wash so cleaned the wheels and gave it a through foam.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Am I right in saying that the hosepipe ban is now over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

You are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Yippee! No more hose pipe ban.....

I've a LOAD ahead of me. I've two cars that have not been washed in months and are badly overdue a proper clean. I've also the garage cleared so I don't have to finish it all in one day. It's also going to be a fine weekend (and I'm heading away camping).

Ya sad I know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Got the A6 ready for winter over the last few days, got a great shine up
    44251115384_02fefc3c87_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Well
    After the long 3 months hose pipe ban,
    I have finally got round to washing my car properly
    I was quite shocked at how grubby the rubbers got in such a short space of time, I had to clean all rubbers 3 times to avoid streaking on the car afterwards.

Pleased it is now back to my standards again .

Oh

For anyone interested in knowing.
    I gave the car a double coat of Soft99 Fusso after a proper prep when I bought it in aug. 2017,
    I gave it a clay and a top up coat around March this year.
    I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of beading it still produced,

It is a well worthwhile product for anyone looking for winter protection for their paint,

Products used :

Valet pro PH Neutral snow foam

Insta Finish Super Foam Shampoo << * exactly the same as Chemical Guys Mr. Pink apparently.

Valet pro Bilberry wheel cleaner.

Glass cleaned with good old Mr. Muscle window cleaner ( any old port in a storm )

42659782_10212450178353875_8113296559057141760_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&oh=ad6ace98286f771f799970cf01efed8a&oe=5C249CB4

42660523_10212450176233822_6238055846975111168_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&oh=13c41c14cb3e6fde05fd5ede7344203a&oe=5C1C154C

42683081_10212450176473828_6957276239841198080_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&oh=26d2882c7cfc4d06bdf8e831cc308145&oe=5C60F5CE

42711076_10212450176833837_1099026360896061440_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&oh=41576203939948e421740e5eb7622562&oe=5C244693

42568606_10212450177033842_1607922956896305152_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&oh=16478dc9bf9dd0797eca18f365833d4e&oe=5C1AF617

42779578_10212450177353850_3699783033201623040_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&oh=68946f8c713dbe4b5d364d8072968d80&oe=5C5D4B41

42655691_10212450177713859_260384316465348608_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&oh=316682f0c4c0ecd349974b17ddd6397e&oe=5C5816D9

Great job on the car, Vectra. i had been using Collinite 845 and then tried Soft99 Fusco, went back to the Collinite 845 this time as i preferred the finish for some reason.whats your thoughts on them, i know you have used both.

SBPhoto wrote: »
    Great job on the car, Vectra. i had been using Collinite 845 and then tried Soft99 Fusco, went back to the Collinite 845 this time as i preferred the finish for some reason.whats your thoughts on them, i know you have used both.

845 is possibly a tad glossier than Fusso,
    I have been reading recently that the best combo is a coat of Fusso followed 24 hours later by a coat of 845.
    Might be something I will try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

vectra wrote: »
    845 is possibly a tad glossier than Fusso,
    I have been reading recently that the best combo is a coat of Fusso followed 24 hours later by a coat of 845.
    Might be something I will try.

Would the beading be better from the fusso ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭yannakis

For anyone interested in knowing.
    I gave the car a double coat of Soft99 Fusso after a proper prep when I bought it in aug. 2017,
    I gave it a clay and a top up coat around March this year.
    I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of beading it still produced

How did you apply this product?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Loving the mondeo vectra, smashing motor.

Amazing to see all the black running off.

Probably the cleanest mondeo on the road.

deisedav wrote: »
    Would the beading be better from the fusso ?

Very debatable.
    I have seen some fantastic beading from the 845 as well,
    I think what people were saying was you have the durability of the Fusso topped with the gloss of the 845 ( which is very durable as well ) So I guess the best of both worlds.
    yannakis wrote: »
    How did you apply this product?

Usual prep of the car,
    Then damp applicator and apply as light as you possibly can,
    I would normally do
    Passenger wing
    Bonnet
    drivers wing,
    Then buff off

Then both sides of the roof and tailgate
    Buff

Then both doors and rear panel on one side and Buff
    then other side and Buff
    Then both bumpers and sideskirts and Buff.
    Keeping the applicator damp all the way through ( I have a bowl of water with me that I place the applicator in while buffing, then squeeze excess water prior to application of next panels.

24 hours later I would give the car alight rinse ( or wash if it is dirty )
    and repeat the above.

Pending prep work this should give at least 6 to 8 months protection.

Loving the mondeo vectra, smashing motor.

Amazing to see all the black running off.

Probably the cleanest mondeo on the road.

Thanks, Yeah I do actually like the Mondeo to drive and that.
    Looks pretty stylish as well ( in my opinion )
    I was actually surprised to see that amount ob black running off to be honest. But glad now I got the chance to clean it properly and show others just how fast a car can deteriorate without regular maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Used Fusso coat topped with king of gloss for a couple of years, can't fault the performance of it or the value for money. Recently changed to a ceramic wax

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Used Fusso coat topped with king of gloss for a couple of years, can't fault the performance of it or the value for money. Recently changed to a ceramic wax

Which ceramic wax?
    Jayswax?

Finnished detailing the A6 Today, after the usual preparation work I applied two coats of Collinite 845 and then finished with a coat of KKD Sicoat, should see me through to next spring.

44268724784_ee9311fc51_z.jpg

44118678865_d14c68a1c5_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Lovely motor SB.

• Advertisement

Right my vRS has been so neglected it's been so long due to the poxy ban.....

I spent about 1hr30 just jet washing at the start.
    Done the full decontamination, tar, de iron, wash, clay, wash and will have to give another shot tomorrow as ran out of time.

No photos but cars had, paint splatters, bird crap, flies among much other crap.

Having an issue where can now see where some bird crap was in the street lights as was dark when finishing up.

2 bucket method was used I might add.

So tomorrow I want to get a coat or two of blacklight on and collinite845.

Hopefully this will get me through the winter.

Which ceramic wax?
    Jayswax?

Angelwax Enigma is what I changed too. The price is strong but glad I bit the bullet and bought a pot. So easy to use and excellent water behavior. I think it's definitely worth the price

Right my vRS has been so neglected it's been so long due to the poxy ban.....

I spent about 1hr30 just jet washing at the start.
    Done the full decontamination, tar, de iron, wash, clay, wash and will have to give another shot tomorrow as ran out of time.

No photos but cars had, paint splatters, bird crap, flies among much other crap.

Having an issue where can now see where some bird crap was in the street lights as was dark when finishing up.

2 bucket method was used I might add.

So tomorrow I want to get a coat or two of blacklight on and collinite845.

Hopefully this will get me through the winter.

I feel you will get better durability by applying 845 directly to the paint.
    Blacklight will shorten the durability.

I feel you will get better durability by applying 845 directly to the paint.
    Blacklight will shorten the durability.

Ok thanks for that.

Thanks be to feck the hosepipe ban is over. I've started into the Leon. Washing & decontamination is done. I'll start into the light machine polish tomorrow after work and seal it when done.

Oh ya, I got alternative transportation for the week and space in the garage.

Edit. I'll put up pics and the process when done.

Quick bit of oxidation removal as a test on an E60 I'll be enhancing soon. This was more than likely caused by TFR left to dry on the surface. It's on all the trim which is shadowline gloss black.

Before:

45006682692_e0a857cff9_c.jpg

After:

45006682542_abd156c5b2_c.jpg

It's not 100% yet but a huge improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

I don't even know if it's TFR, it seems to happen to a lot with the gloss trim on BMWs.

In that case then it's just oxidation from the sun. No wax or coating of any sort could cause that.

There's also a LOT of suncream/oily fingerprints all over the car.

Quick bit of oxidation removal as a test on an E60 I'll be enhancing soon. This was more than likely caused by TFR left to dry on the surface. It's on all the trim which is shadowline gloss black.

Before:

After:

It's not 100% yet but a huge improvement.

Can I ask how you did that?

My problem is that I've the same type of finish on the doors of the Leon and they are a bit marked when you put them under a harsh light. I know you had a different problem but your solution "may" work for me

DA and Chemical Guys V36. It needs a going over of V38 to get the clarity.

DA and Chemical Guys V36. It needs a going over of V38 to get the clarity.

Thanks.

I'm in the middle of attacking the Leon with V36 & V38 anyway so a small bit more won't hurt... I was thinking of going that way alright when I noticed it Sunday when I went over the car with a strong flashlight. I'll report back when done.

• Advertisement

Well, I'm finished the two cars finally! Buckle up, its going to be a long one.............

Process was
    • Rinsed down with water
    • Snowfoamed with Bilt Hamber Autofoam (I don't like a very thick foam but I can't remember the ratios used)
    • Rinsed off
    • 2BM wash with BH autowash
    • Dried
    • An application (or three) of CarPro Tar-X (The feckin' Leon was half black!)
    • Washed again
    • BH Korrisol applied, left for 4 minutes or so and washed off
    • Detarred with a mix of CarPro Claycloth, DnD Detailing Clay (medium strength I think) and CarPro Immolube diluted down
    • Washed again
    • CarPro Eraser applied and the car shoved into the garage
    • DA polish with Chemical V36 on Hexlogic Green and V38 on HexLogic Black
    • Wiped down again with CarPro Eraser
    • Left for 24 hours for the residue to flash off
    • CarPro Reload applied

Wheels & Tyres were done in the same fashion but sealed with Collinite 845 (the last of what was in the bottle) and tyres with CarPro PERL 1:1 in water.

Trim was done with CarPro PERL 1:3 water, glass with CarPro Eraser and IPA, under bonnet with CarPro PERL 1:3 water. Interior with BH Surfix 1:5 water and 50Cal Precision interior dressing.

Foaming the Leon (and ya, the foam is going brown around the wheel!)
    Photo_-31.jpg?dl=1

Photo_-33.jpg?dl=1

The Tar on the Leon. Yes Tar-X Shifted it!
    Photo_-35.jpg?dl=1

Photo_-36.jpg?dl=1

Evidence of the materials used............
    Photo_-51.jpg?dl=1

Photo_-54.jpg?dl=1

Finished Leon
    Photo_-59.jpg?dl=1

Photo_-53.jpg?dl=1

MM, the reason I asked you about how you tackled the gloss trim was that when I shone the light over the Leon, I saw I had marks on my trim (it would pass the 2 foot rule under normal light, but not a flashlight). I tackled it with the V36 on Green and V38 on Black, the same as the paint. I sealed it then with the Reload.

Before
    Photo_-48.jpg?dl=1

After polishing and before sealing
    Photo_-52.jpg?dl=1

The Octavia was tackled in the same fashion as above.

After decontamination and before Polishing shot. It wasn't too bad really......
    Photo_-6.jpg?dl=1

After DA polish as above
    Photo_-15.jpg?dl=1

Photo_-16.jpg?dl=1

Photo_-21.jpg?dl=1

Ya the wheels/tyres were finished off after the above photos were taken.......

I think I can breathe now, except there's something lurking in the background that's next on the hit-list............

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

Jesus nice job, a fair amount of work there looks like it was worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Great jobs Ian!

Nice work Ian! You still have swirl marks on those black door trims, they're a pain in the arse to get perfect but the best option is with a heavy cut pad with V38.

Nice work Ian! You still have swirl marks on those black door trims, they're a pain in the arse to get perfect but the best option is with a heavy cut pad with V38.

Ya I know, but most are gone. For a first attempt I'm happy enough as it was my first time tackling then so didn't go too mad with the machine.

Thanks for the heads up on that pad recommendation. Unfortunately, the heaviest pad I have is the Hex-Logic Green (heavy polish). Ah well, an excuse to go shopping......

Get the small HexLogic orange for those kind of things.

First time I've washed the car in close to 4 months.

Quick hoover all around followed by a quick windscreen clean. Tackled the armrest/door fabrics with interior shampoo as well as a wipe down of the plastics. There was some coffee droplets around the cupholder that are finally gone. Gave the pedals and foot rests much needed clean too. Aside from hoovering that's the first clean the interior fabrics have gotten!

Wheel clean, snow foam and a 2 bucket wash. Tackled all the door sills and interior of the doors too. Windscreen clayed and tyres dressed.

No pictures as dirt didn't show up well, plenty of dirty splatter from the recent rain. No wax or anything so nothing particularly shiny.

She's looking well and I'm happy to be able to wash it again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Quick/basic question folks.

What is the best way of cleaning the inside windows? Paper? cloth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

everlast75 wrote: »
    Quick/basic question folks.

What is the best way of cleaning the inside windows? Paper? cloth?

Microfiber towel.

I use kiln korea glass cloths

• Advertisement

I have a waffle microfiber cloth. I'll use a regular microfiber for the first/second pass for dirt and grease, the waffle one to to do a proper clean then my microfiber mitt to dry off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

My niece picked up her 1st car last weekend so I decided to give it a little tidying up.

Bilt hamber auto wheel on the wheels
    Snow foamed
    Rinsed off
    Decontaminated using Tar X and Iron X
    Clayed
    Foamed again
    2 bucket method
    Dried off

The car then got a pass of my DA using menzerna polish. The car is littered though in scrapes so it'll need something a bit more aggressive to bring it up a little more. Finished off then with some Chemical Guys Butter wet wax. Windows polished using AutoGlym fast glass.

It's by no means perfect but it's better than it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Good uncle! What a great first car.

Those Fiestas are great little cars. My sister bought one from my Grand-uncle a few years ago. It had something like 7,000 miles on it as he only used it for going to mass, shops and home. He got it washed once a year so it wasn't looking to well outside. The paint had oxidated all over so I was tasked with bringing it back to life:

22573869899_0cb171a138_c.jpg

22966038485_54013c78ec_c.jpg

I started the enhancement detail on that E60 over the weekend. Washed, clayed, washed on Saturday and started the polishing yesterday.

50:50 of the bonnet:

30550123037_fec68b7aa2_c.jpg

And a before and after of the roof vs C pillar. Lots of suncream/oily fingerprints all over the place but you can see just how much deeper a colour the paint is once polished:

30550123047_fec68b7aa2_c.jpg

I still have the front and rear bumpers to do although I won't be doing much with the front as there's lacquer peel and the whole thing is in need of a respray anyway. After that I'll be polishing the exterior glass with cerium oxide and a rayon pad then it's a wash, dry, IPA wipewdown and application of Gtechniq G1 and C2V3.

Products used: Chemical Guys yellow pad with V36 polish followed by green pad and V38. Might have to use V32 on yellow pad for the bonnet's second pass but will see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Great work, amazing difference!

Cheers Wailin. It's nice to have a finished product where the difference is night and day. Makes it worth the effort :)

Gave the car a quick maintenance foam/wheel clean. I clayed the windscreen again because I didn't to it properly last time. I'm not sure if it's wise to do the wing mirrors but I did the driver side. Holy crap! It's amazing, so crystal clear. I was actually a little distracted while driving because I couldn't believe how clear it was.

No matter how hard I try dry the glass there's always some sort of moisture. Maybe it's time to clay all the windows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I started the enhancement detail on that E60 over the weekend. Washed, clayed, washed on Saturday and started the polishing yesterday.

50:50 of the bonnet:

And a before and after of the roof vs C pillar. Lots of suncream/oily fingerprints all over the place but you can see just how much deeper a colour the paint is once polished:

I still have the front and rear bumpers to do although I won't be doing much with the front as there's lacquer peel and the whole thing is in need of a respray anyway. After that I'll be polishing the exterior glass with cerium oxide and a rayon pad then it's a wash, dry, IPA wipewdown and application of Gtechniq G1 and C2V3.

Products used: Chemical Guys yellow pad with V36 polish followed by green pad and V38. Might have to use V32 on yellow pad for the bonnet's second pass but will see.

What do you use to get rid of the finger and hand prints?

Washed my E60 today and was hoping that might do it but they are all still there.

I still need to clay the car, would that remove the hand prints too?

• Advertisement

farna_boy wrote: »
    What do you use to get rid of the finger and hand prints?

Washed my E60 today and was hoping that might do it but they are all still there.

I still need to clay the car, would that remove the hand prints too?

Washing alone won't, in worst case scenario it would need cutting and a polish.

Claying may help a bit.

Advertisement