Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Cracking colour in the sunlight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Cracking colour in the sunlight.

The brighter the light, the more bright blue / purple-ly (nicer imo) it looks. The colour in the VW brochure looks very drab and doesn't do it any favours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

The brighter the light, the more bright blue / purple-ly (nicer imo) it looks. The colour in the VW brochure looks very drab and doesn't do it any favours.

Probably the colour I'd want if I was buying one. Remember walking by one the exact same as yours in Adelaide last year and it stuck with me ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

That's a cracking car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Decided to take the steering wheel trim off the car and paint it up. BMW use a paint that peels after a few years so needed to come off. Of course I forgot to take the before pictures!

Used acetone to strip off the old paint, then some P600 sandpaper to give it a key for the paint.

Made a complete balls of it the first time, to many layers and didn’t give them enough time to dry so out with the acetone again to strip all the paint off.

Gave it two coats, a quick rub on any blemishes And then a final third coat and put it back on the car. Few scratches on it from where I made a balls of it the first time and was using a coarser paper to try sort out the issues, but overall I’m happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

etxp wrote: »
    Decided to take the steering wheel trim off the car and paint it up. BMW use a paint that peels after a few years so needed to come off. Of course I forgot to take the before pictures!

Used acetone to strip off the old paint, then some P600 sandpaper to give it a key for the paint.

Made a complete balls of it the first time, to many layers and didn’t give them enough time to dry so out with the acetone again to strip all the paint off.

Gave it two coats, a quick rub on any blemishes And then a final third coat and put it back on the car. Few scratches on it from where I made a balls of it the first time and was using a coarser paper to try sort out the issues, but overall I’m happy with it.

was debating doing this myself, what paint did you use?

was debating doing this myself, what paint did you use?

I just used some "Auto Extreme" matt black spray paint I got from Mr. Price. Probably not the best quality but does the job nicely. total cost of acetone and paint was less than 5 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I just used some "Auto Extreme" matt black spray paint I got from Mr. Price. Probably not the best quality but does the job nicely. total cost of acetone and paint was less than 5 euro.

Really need to do this too on my E60. Paint is peeling all over the place along the bottom. Cheers for the motivation to do it this week.

Was the trim difficult to remove?

https://youtu.be/SVzUci4HjHY

This is the video I followed for it if anyone is interested. The acetone is a great trick and works perfectly.

• Advertisement

Duff wrote: »
    Really need to do this too on my E60. Paint is peeling all over the place along the bottom. Cheers for the motivation to do it this week.

Was the trim difficult to remove?

The trim was a bit difficult to get off as there is two tabs that go into the back of the steering wheel. I tried freeing them with a screwdriver but didn't work, I just had to pull them out in the end. didn't damage them though. The trim is held in with 3 screws so if the tabs were to break I don't think it would be an issue anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bf

With the good weather, time to give the car a quick exterior clean. So easy to do with the ceramic coating :)

https://imgur.com/VXtw4z7

https://imgur.com/3dxvcja

https://imgur.com/Jlt2CAF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Decided to use ChrisFix's tip to use ceramic coating to revive plastics. Bought some cheap ceramic on eBay. Turned out pretty well. We'll see how long it lasts. He's claiming two years.
    Before
    20200411_120129_zpsvylebxzb.jpg
    After
    20200411_130011_zpsgyudlzv6.jpg

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I do like a clean black car.....

IMG_20200411_193119.jpg?dl=1

It had the following done
    • Wash with BH autowash (Foaming was done last weekend)
    • Wheel arches, etc had BH Surfix 1:3 water applied and worked in with a stiff brush during the washimg
    • BH Korrisol Applied, left to dwell and rinsed off
    • CarPro TarX applied, rinsed off and washed again
    • Clayed with D&D clay and CarPro Immolube
    • Washed again ^ dried
    • CarPro Reset applied and wiped off
    • Gtechniq C2V3 applied, two coats, about 3 hours between coats
    • Tyres - CarPro PERL 1:1 water
    • Plastic trims CarPro Perl 1:3 water
    • Glass had Gtechniq G5 applied

The "blockyness" on the bonnet is from the jpeg compression (I really shrunk it down, the camera phone picture is too big)

My own was done the same way last weekend.

IMG_20200411_190052.jpg?dl=1

I've plenty of time to tackle the gold vehicle as my ferry to Spain for my holidays was cancelled. I'm not going anywhere.............

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

Cant make a silk purse out of a pigs ear but I have a lot of time on my hands.attachment.php?attachmentid=509303&stc=1&d=1586710459attachment.php?attachmentid=509304&stc=1&d=1586710459

Karcher K5
    Bilt Hamber Auto Foam
    Meguiars ultimate wash and wax
    Bilt hamber auto wheels
    Multi mitt method
    Carpro Trix for iron on tar. Didnt need clay after this.
    Dry with Microfibre madness drying towel, I forget its name
    Autoglym super resin polish to hide scratches
    Turtle Wax Hybrid Sealant Spray Wax for more shine
    Apply Autoglym Bumper and Trim Gel.
    Autoglym Instant Tyre Shine Dressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Great job,^^ :cool:

• Advertisement

Not exactly "detailing" but...

IMG-20200413-164947.jpg
    IMG-20200413-172244.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Finally got my seats perfectly clean and matte, they look brand new again. I used CarPro Inside and a wet magic sponge to clean the leather and a separate sponge for all plastics then applied Gtechniq L1 to the leather and BMW plastic emulsion to all plastics. The sponge was quite dirty after the plastic but it brought it all back to new again.

Here's the before and after of the sponge after the leather was cleaned:

49771144236_fa3a6f468a_c.jpg

49771144261_b5644b7ef8_c.jpg

Yes, that's all dirt from the seats. As I have advised before, don't use one of these on the steering wheel as seat leather is different. I can confirm that no dye was removed from the seats as I was keeping an eye on the sponge the whole way through. If dye did come out, the sponge would be that colour after a few wipes on one seat rather than after all seats.

Awesome job. My cream leather seats have seen better days so must add this to the list. Anywhere in particular to get magic sponges? Never used them before.

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

ianobrien wrote: »
    I do like a clean black car.....

giphy.gif

Awesome job. My cream leather seats have seen better days so must add this to the list. Anywhere in particular to get magic sponges? Never used them before.

I get them from D&D. You can get them anywhere really and I'm not sure if others have chemicals added which is why I went with D&D as they are safe for automotive use.

They are also very good for removing polish from black trim/plastics.

• Advertisement

Dealz have magic sponges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It's been a busy couple of months so I haven't washed the car since the first week in January. I was embarrassed to look at it and finally got a couple of hours yesterday to give it some TLC. The car was absolutely filthy, covered in road grime, baked on dust and bird crap. I only took one before picture but it doesn't really capture how filthy the car was:

SZ2r7bl.jpg?1

I foamed it with a mixture of BH Autofoam and Koch Chemie Greenstar which took off a lot of the surface crap. Then I gave it a good wash with Adams Ultra Foam Shampoo, dried it and gave it a coat of Sonax BSD. The car still has a layer of Fusso on it from many months ago, which was still very much present. For the money, I don't think there's a better product than Fusso.

The results:

ug5Q6rJ.jpg?1

Xi85Hr4.jpg?1

J2rSCep.jpg?1

CoeO5Ru.jpg?1

I gave the interior a good hoover and a coat of ODK interior cleaner, love the matte finish it gives and the smell.

2odIdeR.jpg?1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not today, but Saturday.
    Done both cars.
    • Pre wash with Reflect Citrus Pre-Wash.
    • Hose down.
    • Iron X.
    • Rinsed.
    • Snow Foam with Reflect Mega Foam.
    • Hosed down again.
    • Hand washed with Reflect Mega Foam.
    • Rinsed.
    • Dried using Carpro towel.
    • Applied Reflect Quick Detailer.

509535.jpeg

509536.jpeg

I have a stock of old waxes/polish/sealants (AQ SRP/Black Light/Petes 53) that i'm debating whether to use or just go for a Ceramic Solution (CQ Lite maybe).

Planned on spending the day on a full, two stage paint correction on my E60 as it's in dire need of one, but the feckin' pads didn't arrive so it's been postponed until it's next dirty enough for a wash. Gave it a quick wash, dry and blast of hybrid sealant anyway. Going to tackle the interior tomorrow. Also have 19" wheels I picked up for buttons that I'm slowly working my way through refurbishing.

20200414-155333.jpg

20200414-155345.jpg

Started the decontamination at 9 this morning and just finished the paint correction. Time flies when you're having fun. Big fan of Carbon Black paint coming up purple in certain light after a proper cleanse.

20200415_153830.md.jpg

20200415-153844.jpg

Few minutes with some autosol on my hubs today to see would it work and it brings them back 90%. Might do this on the rest of them as they're a bit tired looking.

Before (on another wheel) and after.

IMG-20200415-185145.jpg

IMG-20200415-182150.jpg

Started the decontamination at 9 this morning and just finished the paint correction. Time flies when you're having fun. Big fan of Carbon Black paint coming up purple in certain light after a proper cleanse.
    It is indeed very satisfying when that color turns from what looks black to spectacular glitter blue. :cool:
    I remember doing my sons E60 when he had it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭A Law

Not really a detailing post but bought a nilfisk c110.7 on the recommendations from here. I've lost the powerspeed nozzle, somewhere in the shed so it'll turn up. I need one for a few days. Would anyone fnear Swords have a loan of one? Long shot I know, I can buy one but I just know it'll turn up eventually.thanks

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nilfisk-Pressure-Washer-Powerspeed-Blaster/dp/B00KIOFTQ8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Not the greatest pic at all, but gave the car a quick wash after work the other day.

Im struggling with some iron and tar spots on the car that dont seem to be moving for me, I reckon I need a clay bar to get at them properly. Didnt touch them today.

Reflect Magic Foam
    Autoglym Clean Wheels (Tiny bit left in the bottle)
    Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner
    Reflect Ultra Cold Wax
    Reflect Quick Detailer
    Reflect Tyre Shine
    Reflect Super Vision Glass Cleaner

LqpL6T4.jpg

• Advertisement

What did you use to try remove the tar spots?

vectra wrote: »
    What did you use to try remove the tar spots?

Reflect Tar + Glue Remover, let it start to run and wipe off with a damp microfibre. Maybe I need a good few passes on it?

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Reflect Tar + Glue Remover, let it start to run and wipe off with a damp microfibre. Maybe I need a good few passes on it?

Sometimes it would take a few hits to get it all off,
    Be careful wiping it off with a mf cloth as tar spots can contain grit.

Sometimes it would take a few hits to get it all off,
    Be careful wiping it off with a mf cloth as tar spots can contain grit.

Would you advise to pressure wash it off instead?

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Would you advise to pressure wash it off instead?

yes,
    But if they are tiny spots ( pin head size ) then a gentle wipe should do. Just dont scrub them.

yes,
    But if they are tiny spots ( pin head size ) then a gentle wipe should do. Just dont scrub them.

Perfect, thanks a million. Will give it a try next week or so, appreciate it.

Are you sure it's tar and not black paint splatter?

Are you sure it's tar and not black paint splatter?
    I just assumed it would be tar...(weekend warrior here!) How would I tell difference? Its mainly around lower door areas, small bit on the rear bumper. I might try grab some pics later on and post in the chat thread, if I can rack you guys brain that would be great.

You were right to assume that but if tar remover isn't working then I would think it's black paint (maybe underseal/stonechip coating overspray).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Bit of a job on the wheels today. Front two first, tackling the rears tomorrow.

Used bilt hamber auto wheel to remove brake debris, followed by a shampoo wash and clay. Cleaned up with IPA and panel wipe to prep for sealant. Used gtechnic c5 and left in garage until tomorrow morning to set. Will do exact same for rears tomorrow. Should make cleaning very easy with them sealed.

49789001407_3d461cb359_c.jpg
    49788686946_fe71a7a047_c.jpg
    49788146968_d0990b730e_c.jpg
    49788147243_b3674a8278_c.jpg

Sealed and stored in shed until tomorrow morning.
    49788305218_07c86dfd32_c.jpg

Decided to touch up the exhaust tips on my E90, they have needed some attention for a long time.

I couldn’t get hold of some VHT so I just used some alloy wheel silver paint. Not sure how long it will last but it looks ok for now.

Took them off and cleaned them up with some carb cleaner, then used a steel brush in a drill to remove everything I couldn’t get off. And then sprayed them up. Was happy with how they came out, just don’t know how long they will last.

Wailin wrote: »
    Bit of a job on the wheels today. Front two first, tackling the rears tomorrow.

They came out fantastic. Totally transformed them.
    If Carpro Dlux is anything to go by, then you will be delighted at how easy it is to clean them. I had it on my Passat.
    Which reminds me, I bought a bottle of Dlux to do me wheels on the Ateca when I bought it, I need to get the finger out and do them.
    Decided to touch up the exhaust tips on my E90, they have needed some attention for a long time.

I couldn’t get hold of some VHT so I just used some alloy wheel silver paint. Not sure how long it will last but it looks ok for now.

Took them off and cleaned them up with some carb cleaner, then used a steel brush in a drill to remove everything I couldn’t get off. And then sprayed them up. Was happy with how they came out, just don’t know how long they will last.

100% better. :cool:
    It's the little things that make the difference.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Wheels off job is on my list too.

Top job!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Admldj

Finally got around to doing the meguiars 3 step today the full process was as follows:

Rinse with power washer
    Wash with AG shampoo 2 buckets and microfiber mitt
    Rinse
    AG polar blast snow foam
    Dry with blade and microfiber towel
    Meguiars deep crystal paint cleaner
    Meguiars deep crystal polish
    Meguiars deep crystal carnauba wax
    AG clean wheels and deep scrub
    AG wheel protector when dry
    AG Instant tyre dressing
    Turtle wax clearview glass cleaner

Tough going, but sun came out just as I finished which was nice.

Clayed it last week so had a good start, not sure about the paint cleaner and the polish was hard work but the results are good.

Finally got around to doing the meguiars 3 step today the full process was as follows:

Rinse with power washer
    AG polar blast snow foam
    Rinse
    Rinse
    AG Instant tyre dressing

Clayed it last week so had a good start, not sure about the paint cleaner and the polish was hard work but the results are good.

• Advertisement

Admldj wrote: »

Rinse with power washer
    Rinse
    AG polar blast snow foam
    AG Instant tyre dressing

Just a couple of things here,
    Did you wash before snow foaming?
    It should be the other way round.
    Also
    Open your bin and dump the blade into it.
    Other than that. The car looks fantastic. :cool:

Just a couple of things here,
    Did you wash before snow foaming?
    It should be the other way round.
    Also
    Open your bin and dump the blade into it.
    Other than that. The car looks fantastic. :cool:

Yes, correct, snow foam first.
    Googled the blade after you mentioned it, today was the first time using it, it will also be the last! Microfiber towel all the way

Finished the rears today. Coated and stored now until tomorrow.

49792698053_7b4a226596_c.jpg
    49793549372_2097d93bbf_c.jpg

Hate leaving the car up on axle stands overnight but has to be done.

49793244356_c1e179be28_c.jpg

Good time to do under the arch detail !

Done! Front arches done yesterday. They weren't too bad but not much driving either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement