Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Wailin wrote: »
    Done! Front arches done yesterday. They weren't too bad but not much driving either.

Are they black plastic liners or fiber type material?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

That horrible fibre material that seems to make everything cling to it. Used a brush and shampoo and it came up well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Admldj wrote: »
    Yes, correct, snow foam first.
    Googled the blade after you mentioned it, today was the first time using it, it will also be the last! Microfiber towel all the way

Why I don't get my car dried at any of the hand wash places anymore.

Wailin wrote: »
    That horrible fibre material that seems to make everything cling to it. Used a brush and shampoo and it came up well.

I usually snow foam them while doing the car,
    Then flush the foam lance through with apc mix, I also shoot this solution under arches ( multi purpose :D )
    That usually shifts the dirt on them for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Got some CarPro Perl and Surfex HD to try out.

Wheels were done with Surfex HD 10:1, agitated with a brush for the tires. Alloys were Reflect Alloy Cleaner 4:1. Fairly bad so I went over them again.

Reflect Magic Foam, agitated with detail brush around windows, badges etc.
    2BM with Reflect Wash 'n' Wax
    Reflect Super Cold Wax at 2:1
    Dried
    Reflect Quick Detailer.
    Trim was sprayed with Surfex again and agitated with detailing brush to try prep for Perl.
    CarPro Perl @ 3:1 for the exterior trim, and 1:1 for the tires.

Reflect Super Vision Glass Cleaner for Windows.

Really happy with how it turned out, could have done a better job on the arches but ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Nice work. I always find the before and afters on wheels particularly satisfying.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    Nice work. I always find the before and afters on wheels particularly satisfying.

Yeah definitely! Happy with how they turned out, the arches were annoying me afterward but wasnt too bothered about getting the stuff back out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Lovely day for it today. Gave the car a quick going over.

Citrus pre-wash
    Snow Foam
    Two bucket wash
    Dry
    Fusso Soft99 wax
    Vacuum and clean the interior.

First time using the Fusso. Went on nice and not too much of a pain to get off. Very happy with the results and shine.

SibkdrD.jpg
    IpRhPYt.jpg
    MaKceQy.jpg

Pre-cleaned with bilt hamber auto wash
    Washed with carpro reset shampoo
    Towel dried and decontaminated with tar-x
    Rinsed and dried again.
    Protection with gtechnic C2V3. Not ideal conditions to apply with sunlight but went on ok and a nice glossy finish when buffed.
    Wheels were done previously so just a shampoo wash and tyres dressed with meguiars endurance gel.
    49810900947_2f70fdba25_c.jpg
    49810586666_29c892e90e_c.jpg
    49810888272_703aecd252_c.jpg

Tzardine wrote: »
    Lovely day for it today. Gave the car a quick going over.

Citrus pre-wash
    Snow Foam
    Two bucket wash
    Dry
    Fusso Soft99 wax
    Vacuum and clean the interior.

First time using the Fusso. Went on nice and not too much of a pain to get off. Very happy with the results and shine.

Looks great,
    Use a damp applicator when applying Fusso, and apply as light as possible,
    If you want extended durability, give the car a rinse down tomorrow and give it a second coat of Fusso.:)

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    Looks great,
    Use a damp applicator when applying Fusso, and apply as light as possible,
    If you want extended durability, give the car a rinse down tomorrow and give it a second coat of Fusso.:)

Thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Can't beat a lovely evening, tunes, Gtechniq W5 and 303 Aerospace Protectant...

49810963138_d80ff758b8_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

^ While the shroud looks great you know 99% of us are looking at that dirt on your OS strut tower...

^ While the shroud looks great you know 99% of us are looking at that dirt on your OS strut tower...

No dirt there lad only shine :D

The pipe going down beside the oil filler cap was how all the plastic was before application so there is a noticeable difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Got a Silvia s15 yesterday, needs a bit of TLC and the headlights were badly faded so tackled them today. Didn't turn out too bad I think, makes a big difference to the front of the car.

From this...

1.jpg

2.jpg

To this:

3.jpg

4.jpg

Spent the day doing a job on the passenger side wheels of the car.

Wash
    Decontaminate
    Detar
    Dry
    Polish
    Panel Wipe
    2 coats of Gtechniq C5

I wanted to get up early and do both sides but my head wanted a sleep in so the other side will be done tomorrow.

Didn't take any pics up until they were done.

Curing in the roasting hot sun:

49818068513_b65789658f_c.jpg

While they were curing I tackled the disc hubs and calipers and applied 2 coats of Gtechniq Exo to the calipers. I'm not expecting it to last too long as I had it left over from when I coated the car last summer. It's supposed to be used within a few months of opening so we'll see.

Never did it before but I used 0000 steel wool and Meguiars metal polish on the disc hubs. It brought them up a treat, especially the fronts as they were replaced a few years ago, rears are original.

I also removed the old M badges as they were quite cloudy and crap and replaced with new ones.

Before (rear disc but they were both as grubby):

49818915052_df07127448_c.jpg
    49818068413_c0c7311a75_c.jpg

After:

49818603531_f9e21a4fab_c.jpg
    49818915157_1d4b7f6a7d_c.jpg
    49818603646_4b3be4a0c1_c.jpg
    49818664466_3c2d5ae886_c.jpg
    49818975987_e21daa397c_c.jpg

Great job Dave :cool:

Great job Dave :cool:

Cheers!

I don't know why it took me this long to do this job as normally I would have it done within a few months of buying a car. Looking forward now to ease of cleaning and possibly not needing to use auto wheel each wash. The problem there is that despite having dedicated wheel mitts, wheel woolies and a geyon MF wheel brush nothing will fit between the calipers and wheel barrels. I'd say I'll have to do what I can and move the car to expose those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I remember having a look up close at an Koenigsegg Agera front wheels/brakes a few years ago. There was about a mm between them. The caliper had what looked like a little bit on it to clear away any debris from the inside of the wheel. The barrels were ruined with scores and scratches, and those were carbon fibre wheels too.:eek:

• Advertisement

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I remember having a look up close at an Koenigsegg Agera front wheels/brakes a few years ago. There was about a mm between them. The caliper had what looked like a little bit on it to clear away any debris from the inside of the wheel. The barrels were ruined with scores and scratches, and those were carbon fibre wheels too.:eek:

Feck that! :D

I think you did something similar with your disc hubs recently did you? I saw it on Forensic Detailing a week or so ago.

Next job (although it won't be seen) is to remove the wheels again, wire brush off all the loose rust in the disc (axle) hubs and treat with Bilt Hamber Hydrate80 along with a wheel arch detail and treat any rust in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Yeah, just a quick job I did on my own, didn't spend much time on it but brought them up to 90%. Really helps freshen up the wheels doing it, more so than I thought.

As I said, my front discs came up beautifully because they are new enough. I would need more time and probably a drill with wire brush attachment to bring the rears up as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Bus Boy

Irish Water now recommending us not to wash our cars etc... The struggle is real!

Better get in one more wash so before they introduce a ban!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Bus Boy wrote: »
    Irish Water now recommending us not to wash our cars etc... The struggle is real!

Have all the power-washing done around the house too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Spent a lot of time on the car today, easily over six hours tbh. Got to properly try out the new Autobrite foam cannon which I'm very pleased with, their Magifoam isn't bad either and very tick. Might try the Bilt Hamber one next though.

Only gripe with the whole snow foaming thing I find is that if theres any sort of direct sunlight on the car the foam dries up quite quickly and my front garden gets it for most of the day so a bit of a bummer.

Wheels weren't too bad but I noticed a lot of tar on them so that something I'll be sorting next time. They just got the usual scrub with Surfex HD.

Used Reflects Quick Detailer for the first time which seemed to have done a decent job.

Gave the leather seats a good clean as well. Agitated them with a leather brush and Autoglym Leather Cleaner and dressed them with Chemical Guys Sprayable leather.

I like that the Autoglym stuff doesn't have much smell off it as it doesn't take away from the Sprayable Leather but would of appreciating more foaming from it.

Also went over a few things with the APC such as the pedals and inside parts of the doors. Followed that up with D&D's interior dressing which has the best smell ever. Would highly recommend it.

Going to look at getting one of those small trigger guns for the pressure off eBay as the standard Karcher one is a bit awkward at times I've found with the limited garden space.

20200428-225147.jpg

good days work.
    One pointer though, Be sure to flush a mix of apc through your lance each and every time you use it, especially with that Magifoam, it is notorious for choking the Gauze in the lance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

good days work.
    One pointer though, Be sure to flush a mix of apc through your lance each and every time you use it, especially with that Magifoam, it is notorious for choking the Gauze in the lance.

I have to start doing this also. I’ve an awful habit of finishing with 1/3 of the foam lance bottle still filled.

So into the foam lance bottle.

Water and APC?
    What ratio?

And simply spray into the drain yeah.

Gumbo wrote: »
    I have to start doing this also. I’ve an awful habit of finishing with 1/3 of the foam lance bottle still filled.

So into the foam lance bottle.

Water and APC?
    What ratio?

And simply spray into the drain yeah.

I have a spare bottle off something else that I use for the apc.
    about 10/1 mix in the bottle and I shoot it through, BUT
    What I do rather than waste it is spray under the arches with it, (dual purpose) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Does fairy liquid produce foam to spray over the car?

• Advertisement

Andrew00 wrote: »

Gets popcorn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Keep the Fairy Liquid for washing dishes and for the occasional foam parties. Don't use it to snow foam your car...

Donald says yes. :pac::pac::pac:
    Do you believe him? :D

wash-up-liquid.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes, in the same way you use your toothpaste to clean your dirty cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

I prefer to follow official guidelines....

Cleaning Bleach works wonders when used as foam spray also good against viruses.. thank you mister Trump.

now cars are cleaned I shall start doing the garden.......

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

Since last Friday up to yesterday evening i have been cleaning bird sh3t off the cars every day. The windows in the house and the patio are also destroyed. I was talking to the neighbour and he said he has birds living up in the the attic. He also has been cleanig the crap off non stop. It was bad last year but this year is the worst i can remember . Anyone any thoughts on the matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Get one of them loud shotgun machines - might piss off the neighbours though

deisedav wrote: »
    Since last Friday up to yesterday evening i have been cleaning bird sh3t off the cars every day. The windows in the house and the patio are also destroyed. I was talking to the neighbour and he said he has birds living up in the the attic. He also has been cleanig the crap off non stop. It was bad last year but this year is the worst i can remember . Anyone any thoughts on the matter

The lack of rain is part of the problem, usually the crap gets washed away!

The lack of rain is part of the problem, usually the crap gets washed away!

True good point

I am the same,
    A neighbour behind me has open facia ends on their house. I have asked them year after year to stuff some mesh wire in there once the starlings have flown away.
    It never gets done.
    They fly from her house directly at mine and straight over my roof.
    Garden / Laundry / Back of my house, windows included / and my car outside my house.
    And just forget about enjoying sitting on the patio, it is in direct line of fire.
    That is all fine until they start eating black berries.
    Laundry has to get dumped, walls re painted, and Imagine getting that off a white car.
    Some people just don't care once it doesn't affect them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Stalker2020

Curran wrote: »
    Folks,

Dont be shy with the pictures in this thread!

;)

How to add pictures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

As for the bird problem, our cure is a cat....

We have a neighbor that has birds in a shed roof. Somehow, there is usually a cat sitting on the roof waiting for his chance

The shed is at the very back and their flight path is far from the cars and clothes line.

No, the cat is not ours.

I am the same,
    A neighbour behind me has open facia ends on their house. I have asked them year after year to stuff some mesh wire in there once the starlings have flown away.
    It never gets done.
    They fly from her house directly at mine and straight over my roof.
    Garden / Laundry / Back of my house, windows included / and my car outside my house.
    And just forget about enjoying sitting on the patio, it is in direct line of fire.
    That is all fine until they start eating black berries.
    Laundry has to get dumped, walls re painted, and Imagine getting that off a white car.
    Some people just don't care once it doesn't affect them.

Unbelievable the mess those little fellas can make

deisedav wrote: »
    Unbelievable the mess those little fellas can make

You would often think " A bird that size can only 5hite so much" and realize you are completely wrong :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Finished the refurbishment of the 19" staggered directionals I got dirt cheap a while back. Fitted them this evening. Don't even know if I'll keep them on but it was a fun project to pass a few days. Got to see about getting a small drop on the suspension next.

20200508-205304.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

First time giving it a wash and dry. Will have to tackle the wheels again as there’s quite a lot of dirt caked on there. Pretty happy with my first attempt of the two bucket method.

0TvmpcB.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Removed the wheels recently to be de tarred, de ironed and dressed. Didn't get too particular about the back of the spokes, mainly wanted to get all the tar off, as it could be seen. Also pulled off the back arch liners ashed them and cleared out all the dirt behind them. shocking how much dirt gathers and gets caked in. Looking a little fresher now

Snapchat-1827074953.jpg

Snapchat-164795943.jpg

Snapchat-1019864256.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

I have a 2014 5-series BMW. The original surface is peeling off the alloys in lots of places.
    Is this normal wear and tear? Also is there somewhere around Galway (other than a Main Dealer) that I could get this sorted? Finally, any idea of cost? Thanks

I did a wheel arch detail yesterday. Very much a satisfying job. Also got to use my new short trigger gun which I love. Much easier to control especially when doing a job like this. It's also great for washing the car which I did today.

- Wheel off and given a clean and coat of C2V3 while I had access.
    - Arch pressure washed to remove 7 years of muck build up
    - APC sprayed all over
    - Bucket of shampoo (CarPro Reset) to dip brush into
    - Arch scrubbed (the big brush I used I got years ago and only used it for the first time for this job. I've no idea where I got it or the name/brand of it but I think it's CarPro)
    - Pressure washed
    - Air dried with BLO RS
    - Wiped/dried with MF
    - Chemical Guys Bare Bones applied to plastic, metal etc. basically to anything that wasn't carpet-type lining
    - Buffed

Came out quite well I think. I didn't bother removing tar as I was stuck for time.

49878725851_1981c523f9_c.jpg

49878192573_2468bc0ba6_c.jpg

49879032882_885475ef85_c.jpg

49879032892_90254b22fd_c.jpg

49879032917_8c973f92a2_c.jpg

And the bucket after only 1 corner: :eek:

49878192803_c314b85d67_c.jpg

• Advertisement

I picked up this Fiesta about 18 months ago for my wife. Its an ex hire car and it has not been given any love since we got it. On close inspection the paint is fairy badly swirled from probably several bad washes a week.

About a month ago I decided it was time to finally give it a going over. It had the following:

Citrus pre-wash
    Snow foam
    Iron-x
    De-tar
    Contact wash
    Fusso Soft 99 Wax (light version)

It came back to life pretty well. The Fusso wax is great. I put it onto my own car before doing this and was really happy with the results. The Fiesta would benefit from a machine polish to sort out the swirls in the paintwork, but I doubt I will bother.

rU2gPmH.jpg
    7IXlOBJ.jpg
    IVfFOFt.jpg

So the Fusso has been on it for about a month and yesterday I gave the car its 3rd quick clean since putting it on (not much else to be doing these days) , each with a citrus pre-wash and snow foam. The wax is still there and doing a great job, I really recommend giving it a go.

YLGlSCB.jpg

Advertisement