Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Irishweather2

Removed the wheels recently to be de tarred, de ironed and dressed. Didn't get too particular about the back of the spokes, mainly wanted to get all the tar off, as it could be seen. Also pulled off the back arch liners ashed them and cleared out all the dirt behind them. shocking how much dirt gathers and gets caked in. Looking a little fresher now

Out of curiosity what did you use to de tar ? Been looking for a good product for ages as the typical Halfords stuff is rubbish and my alloys are badly in need of some TLC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Removed the wheels recently to be de tarred, de ironed and dressed. Didn't get too particular about the back of the spokes, mainly wanted to get all the tar off, as it could be seen. Also pulled off the back arch liners ashed them and cleared out all the dirt behind them. shocking how much dirt gathers and gets caked in. Looking a little fresher now

Out of curiosity what did you use to de tar ? Been looking for a good product for ages as the typical Halfords stuff is rubbish and my alloys are badly in need of some TLC

I won't say. I'll be ran out of here....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Good tar removers - CarPro Tar X, Gtechniq W7.

Whatever you do, don't use the Holts tar remover in the aerosol can. It's gloopy, greasy and although it does a good job of removing tar, the stuff itself is an absolute nightmare to remove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Irishweather2

Whatever you do, don't use the Holts tar remover in the aerosol can. It's gloopy, greasy and although it does a good job of removing tar, the stuff itself is an absolute nightmare to remove.

Much appreciated! Will take a look at the Gtechniq and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

I have a 2014 5-series BMW. The original surface is peeling off the alloys in lots of places.
    Is this normal wear and tear? Also is there somewhere around Galway (other than a Main Dealer) that I could get this sorted? Finally, any idea of cost? Thanks

• Advertisement

I have a 2014 5-series BMW. The original surface is peeling off the alloys in lots of places.
    Is this normal wear and tear? Also is there somewhere around Galway (other than a Main Dealer) that I could get this sorted? Finally, any idea of cost? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Not normal but also not unheard of, an acidic cleaner or corrosion can all take their toll. Could they have been poorly refurbished? €100 a corner is typical to make right.

Not normal but also not unheard of, an acidic cleaner or corrosion can all take their toll. Could they have been poorly refurbished? €100 a corner is typical to make right.

Cheers StallingradðŸ‘

It sounds to me like they were repainted badly. From personal experience, Wheel Wizards do powder coating and they are superb at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

What about Tardis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Truckermal wrote: »
    What about Tardis?

Tardis is excellent, but stinky :P

Truckermal wrote: »
    What about Tardis?

I haven't used that since around 2013. I didn't like how it evaporated very quickly so I made Gtechniq W7 my go-to.

I haven't used that since around 2013. I didn't like how it evaporated very quickly so I made Gtechniq W7 my go-to.

You mean from the container or off the paint during use?

vectra wrote: »
    You mean from the container or off the paint during use?

On the paint during use. It was a strange one as I was more than used to tar removers but this one just didn't work properly for me. I'd apply it to say the bottom of the driver's side of the car, leave for a few minutes then wipe (had to wipe as pressure washing it off didn't do much) and by the time I'd get to the back door it would be streaky and dry.

On the paint during use. It was a strange one as I was more than used to tar removers but this one just didn't work properly for me. I'd apply it to say the bottom of the driver's side of the car, leave for a few minutes then wipe (had to wipe as pressure washing it off didn't do much) and by the time I'd get to the back door it would be streaky and dry.

To be honest now that you mention it, I did notice that as well but had forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Have to agree with that, I don't see how so many love Tardis, I found I had use double the amount to do half the job as Autobrite's Just the Tonic and 50Cal Target.

Not used GTechniq but not be surprised if it out performed it to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Gave the car another wash/hover today, even though I don't do big miles being black it gets dirty very quickly as do the alloys. Perfect day for it as there was no direct sunlight nor was it hot out.

Used Reflects Cherry Bomb Shampoo for first time, seems alright, nice smell. I didn't find it as suddy/soapy as the CarPro Reset I've being using beforehand but I dunno if that's down to not using hot water in the bucket today as I usually would.

Used the last of the Magifoam today, not sure if I'll buy more tbh. Bit of a nuisance with the amount of suds on the driveway, doesn't seem to shift as much dirt as I'd like it to either, reckon Bilt Hamber is what I'll go with next.

The Autobrite foam cannon I got has developed a minor leak where the Karcher adaptor is attached to it. Nothing serious though, I'll keep and eye on it.

Only as I was stuck for time I would have de-taring the car but but I'll save that for another day and while I'm at it I'll probably remove the wheels as well and give them a good going over as tar seems to be building up on them as well.

Going to go at the mats on Sunday with the drill brush and wet vac as they've seen better days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Pre Wash sprayed on
    Spray Foam
    Rinsed
    Reflect Super Pink Polish
    Reflect Quick Detailer

Done the F10 too but no pics of that :)

513186.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Today I managed to find time to wash my car. I have not been able to wash it since last August so there was quite a build up of brake dust on the wheels

I put in the before and after pictures for comparison. It still scrubs up well, even with its 17 years and 220,000 miles so I'm happy with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭traco

high horse wrote: »
    I have not been able to wash it since last August so there was quite a build up of brake dust on the wheels
    My daily looks worse than that after a week or two, I can't imagine how it would look if left since August

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I dont get much time to do detailing but still had a bottle of Perfection from Orchard Autocare and its beading is still good, but doesnt beat a good wax/silicone protection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

traco wrote: »
    My daily looks worse than that after a week or two, I can't imagine how it would look if left since August

I do small miles per year which helps. What I noticed was that it got to a certain level of dirt and didn't really get any dirtier. Except for the wheels, the brake dust was the worst it has ever been since I got the car.

high horse wrote: »
    I do small miles per year which helps. What I noticed was that it got to a certain level of dirt and didn't really get any dirtier. Except for the wheels, the brake dust was the worst it has ever been since I got the car.

a good prep and some carpro dlux or similar will make life very easy for you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So I've never detailed an aluminium car before and will never do so again in any sun or heat, the water stains were unreal as it dried out before my eyes....but I got there in the end.
    Foam, jet off, APC, foam, jet off, fallout and detar, foam, wash.
    Then multiple panel by panel wetting and drying real quick to avoid water stains, each panel then Collinite 845 wax and buff. Windows Rain X'd.
    Wheels just washed for now until I get the chance to get them off and properly tackled.

IMG-20200524-162545-1.jpg

IMG-20200524-162558-1.jpg

IMG-20200524-164130-1.jpg

IMG-20200524-164145-1.jpg

IMG-20200524-162608-1.jpg

IMG-20200524-162629-1.jpg

Superb job slave!

Aluminium is a superb conductor of heat, as is black paint.

Your reg plate is a lie though - Life is not just :pac:

It's actually dark blue but looks black in dark cloudy day and shiny deep blue in full sun

Same difference!

Beautiful car ^
    Great job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Picked up this Megane Estate yesterday. Its a year old. The dealer gave it a 'full valet' before I collected it - but the quality was bad. Really crap actually. The car apparently was treated with a ceramic coating as part of the deal, but I am not convinced that it was.

So I spent a good 5 hours on it this morning.

Citrus Pre-Wash
    Snow Foam
    Iron X - Was very heavily contaminated
    Tar Removal - Again, quite a bit of tar on it and being a white car it really shows.
    Contact wash
    Fusso Soft 99 Wax
    Glass Sealant Treatment

End result is below. Very happy with how it turned out. The color is white pearl - looks fantastic in the light.

F1YxhXw.jpg
    Sb1P9yx.jpg
    10H3HNu.jpg
    L6UCEys.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Smashing looking cars them megane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Lovely looking Megane. Well done on the job this morning.

Shows the level of car care dealerships perform "if" they applied a ceramic coating over paintwork covered in iron fallout particles and tar deposits!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Christmas has come early

E00-C3-A88-74-BF-4-B93-AAF0-F2-F35-D8-B14-E2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭tech

You did a big order! Where did you go shopping
    Christmas has come early

E00-C3-A88-74-BF-4-B93-AAF0-F2-F35-D8-B14-E2.jpg

tech wrote: »
    You did a big order! Where did you go shopping

Mostly Slims but there are bits from a few other places too. The main order was made at the start of March but I didn’t get it until today as it was all delivered to my dads and we haven’t been to his house since. He fell off a ladder on Saturday and broke his leg so social distancing is now out the window!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

Lovely looking Megane. Well done on the job this morning.

Shows the level of car care dealerships perform "if" they applied a ceramic coating over paintwork covered in iron fallout particles and tar deposits!!

I'd put money on the ceramic coating being a ceramic spray wax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

theintern wrote: »
    I'd put money on the ceramic coating being a ceramic spray wax.

I remember that coating Renault are flogging, Gen 3 Glasscoat I think its called. Its basically washed the car,wipe down with ipa,apply the coating and only coat the face of the wheels. All in the space of 2 hours work. A dealer wont give the Valeters time to do it properly either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I remember that coating Renault are flogging, Gen 3 Glasscoat I think its called. Its basically washed the car,wipe down with ipa,apply the coating and only coat the face of the wheels. All in the space of 2 hours work. A dealer wont give the Valeters time to do it properly either way

Thats the crux of it...........plenty of the dealership valetors could do a fine job in preparing a car, but have limited time restrictions per vehicle.

It's the difference in letting a professional car care provider work on your car for a number of days to prep, enhance and apply coatings in the proper manner.....as well as use in alot of cases, superior products.

It may cost more than the dealership price(although some through it in free to sweeten a deal), but you are getting a higher level of service if visiting a genuine car care provider.

The problem is that 95% of people buying new cars in Ireland will not pay for a superior service. They want the cheapest they can get and not to have to worry about going through an automated car wash or using a yard brush to clean it every 8 months.

The remaining 5% will ask the dealership to not touch the car and will either have it delivered to or drive it themselves to the likes of D&D for a job to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Got a quick last one in on my lunch before the ban (this working from home lark has its advantages to say the least!)

BH Autowheel
    Citrus prewash
    2 bucket method
    Towel dry

I put Gtechniq C2V3 on a few weeks ago, wow it makes the car easy to dry.

515669.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

Spending time on Father’s Day with the ones you love the most :P

s!AnRiEg-qc-YCgp9j4vVRVx72YD_26Q

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Folks picking up a new car in a couple of weeks should I ask the dealership not to touch it at all? What do they normally do to prep new cars

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Cyrus wrote: »
    Folks picking up a new car in a couple of weeks should I ask the dealership not to touch it at all? What do they normally do to prep new cars

If it's anything like my last service tell them to back off! They used a brush on mine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If it's anything like my last service tell them to back off! They used a brush on mine!

Jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I think it varies from dealership but with dealerships so busy now I wouldn't expect much in the way of car care. Best to look after the paint work yourself

I have an A4 printout in my car for service politely saying no washing or cleaning of any description inside or out, leave on dash and clear for all to see. I also say it verbally when booking and dropping off...

I did this a couple of weeks ago when we had a couple of days of good weather.

Single stage polish and 2 coats of CQUK.

E502-C474-6-DDE-4-F10-A66-C-68-FBC604-D735.jpg

slave1 wrote: »
    I have an A4 printout in my car for service politely saying no washing or cleaning of any description inside or out, leave on dash and clear for all to see. I also say it verbally when booking and dropping off...

I have this along with telling them politely and in no uncertain terms that if the car is washed they will be footing the bill for a paint correction.

Gtechniq-do-not-wash-hanging-sign2.jpg

It usually sinks in but I had the car in with Morrison BMW a while back. They had TFR sitting on the car when I was outside having a look around. I legged it in and told the service advisor what was going on. He got them to hose it down and they left it at that.

That evening I noticed that the exterior door rubbers were spotty and blotchy so I got onto them. They accepted liability (even going so far as to remind me that "DO NOT WASH" was written on the worksheet - should have reminded themselves) and gave me a good discount on the work they did.

I did this a couple of weeks ago when we had a couple of days of good weather.

Single stage polish and 2 coats of CQUK.

https://i.postimg.cc/V6S8v1Gx/E502-C474-6-DDE-4-F10-A66-C-68-FBC604-D735.jpg

Looks great, I had CQUK on my passat and found it extremely easy to wash.
    Get some Carpro Dlux on the wheels / black trim / wheel arches.
    Makes life so much easier.

vectra wrote: »
    Looks great, I had CQUK on my passat and found it extremely easy to wash.
    Get some Carpro Dlux on the wheels / black trim / wheel arches.
    Makes life so much easier.

I have gyeon rim for the wheels but ran out of energy by the time I was finished with the body! Might try and get it done this weekend if I can get a dry spell.

I have gyeon rim for the wheels but ran out of energy by the time I was finished with the body! Might try and get it done this weekend if I can get a dry spell.

Weekend is showing good this neck of the woods, and most of next week, might even get my own wheels off and done. :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement