Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

Sorry. Using phone. Meant to say sounds like a great idea if you didnt mind.

I'll pm you.

Also.. Hand polishing...what the **** was I thinking!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I really don't understand how people think they will get results with little effort when it comes to hand polishing. When you think of the amount of work a D/A does and even at that it takes a while to do a correction on one panel, imagine the amount of work it would take by hand to get even half the level of correction!!!!

It's ok for small, very light scratches but someone who tries to correct badly damaged panels by hand is 'avin a larf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

In fairness, he's not trying to get correction from a hand polish - told him that! ;) He's just trying to restore shine and hide swirls! :)
    Thing I didnt mention is; there's no to kill yourself trying to work the polish in!

He's a noob, and doesnt realise the amount of effort and workout your arms get claying, hand polishing, buffing, wax application and buffing!! Sure had I told him that; he'd have never done it! :D:p

Claying wasn't so bad. It was time consuming but nothing horrible on the arms.

Polishing though...

Thankfully my mechanic has one that he's happy to lend me. Couldn't continue by hand. It was definitely shining up by hand, but because it was so clear, the scratches looked worse.

So a buffer is on my to buy list now too. Hooray. :-(

Do I need anything with a buffer? Particular type of pad or anything like that? My mechanic will probably be busy and just hand it to me. So can I ask, is it relatively simple to use or is there a risk of damage by improper use?

I've only got my phone so can't really google (surprised I'm getting boards to be honest).

Cheers.

Will need the type of machine it is before advising.

If its a dual action polisher, they are relatively safe to use. If rotary, you are risking the paintwork with that.
    You'll need polish and a decent pad. Since its your first time, you will be best starting with a finishing pad and finish polish. Toyota paint is relatively soft, as I had said before, and you will get some correction with that....but the finish that you will achieve will be excellent. From a few feet away the car will look brilliant, but up close, under harsh light, the scratches will show!

Curran wrote: »
    In fairness, he's not trying to get correction from a hand polish - told him that! ;) He's just trying to restore shine and hide swirls! :)
    Thing I didnt mention is; there's no to kill yourself trying to work the polish in!

He's a noob, and doesnt realise the amount of effort and workout your arms get claying, hand polishing, buffing, wax application and buffing!! Sure had I told him that; he'd have never done it! :D:p

I wasn't actually referring to nor was I targeting KKV at all, my post was about expecting results from hand polishing in general.

Some detailing sites are even selling the Hexlogic hand pads FFS :pac:

With regard to this machine you're getting from your mechanic KKV, it could also be just an argos buffer which is only good for applying/buffing wash and gloss-enhancing polish. You won't get any correction with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

On the drying towel...this the one?

meguiars-water-magnet-drying-towel.jpg

The fibre pile on that isnt vey long; not really surprised that you werent too happy with it...doesnt look very absorbent (though often looks can be deceiving)

It's not bad, considering you can get it handily enough in halfrauds. That said, world of difference between that and the microfibre madness stuff. Having used both, it's gone from easily 20-30 mins of hard work to dry the car to about 5 mins of leisurely work.

A decent drying towel would be the one thing I'd recommend above all else for improving your cleaning collection

Agreed that its definitely not the worst drying towel out there....but better than what he had been using!! It's all a learning process, and he's progressing very quickly, so fair play to him! :)

A decent drying towel would be the one thing I'd recommend above all else for improving your cleaning collection

Almost word for word what I had said to him! :p
    Most people dont think of the drying step in the overall wash process, and its hard to convince them that its a worth while investment!

Most people dont think of the drying step in the overall wash process, and its hard to convince them that its a worth while investment!
    Most people don't think of it, or try actively forget it because with the wrong tool (if you're scottish you'll say towel anyway) it's a bloody nightmare.

The amount of times I got to the end of a wash and went "Oh for **** sake I've to ****** dry this whole ******* **** of a *******. ****!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Getting a proper drying towel was the best thing I ever got i'd say. Got this one and it only takes a few minutes to do the whole car without having to wring it out once.

I'd previously tried microfibre cloths and a chamois cloth that was awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Had a spot of polishing the other night, complete with questionable white polish stains all over my bed sheets, anyway... I digress.

x2trtk.jpg

I took the wheel off because it was cold and dark and I was wearing shorts, I wasn't in the mood to sit in a cramped and cold soft top smothering in polish fumes, my bed room seemed the better spot.
    The wheel, how ever old it is, had picked up quite a fair bit of discoloration, oxidation, grunge and it's pitted quite a lot.

2zexxea.jpg

First attempt was as Chemical Guys suggested on their youtube channel, a good amount right on and spread around... They forgot to mention I'd loose half of the polish from the cloth through the holes in the wheel. Woops!

I took it slowly, small drops about 2-3mm across working small areas, one at a time.
    I gave it two passes and decided to leave it before it started looking like new again, it's from an old car so I want it to look weathered but in good nick. Very pleased with the results. :)

2nvq87a.jpg

I used Chemical Guys Vintage Heavy Metal Polish and an old crappy micro fiber cloth to polish and I buffed it with a Microfiber Madness Crazy Pile... Super fluffy!

Can see my reflection so vividly. Amazing.

Anyway, better put this mirror down and get back to cleaning the car.

Seriously though, the mechanics buffer is called a Parkside XQ90.

In using it to apply the polish and then using a microfiber polishing cloth to buff off. It's either amazing or terrible depending on whereabouts I stand looking at it.

The bonnet, having spent so many years as being.. Well.. A bonnet... Is letting it all down so far in my opinion. Could be just the very harsh she'd lights coming right down on it, but it's nothing I'm impressed with (not the polishes fault, of course).

The rest of the car though, so far anyway, is looking pretty good. I'm very pleased with the doors and such but again it could just be the overhead lighting hiding things. I suppose i won't really know until tomorrow.

Anyway I'm not done yet. Only half way around the car with the polish and wax. I'm gonna take the car out of the shed and turn it around to do the other side (makes it easier and gives me more room).

Then I'll repeat again for the wax. Then I'll cry a bit.

Also.. It would appear that the only reason to clean a car is to sell it. The amount of people asking am I selling it because I throw a bucket of water at it. Is it that unusual to clean a car!? :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Yep! :(

That Parkside (Lidl) buffer is absolutely uselss when it comes to getting scratches out. All it's good for is applying and buffing wax and glossing polish i.e. not correction polish.

As above...id really only consider that helpful if it had a fluffy wool pad to use for buffing off polish or wax.
    Apply products with an applicator pad and buff using it. Obviously a different woll pad to remove polish and wax.

If you want to do a real paint correction you need THIS

It's perfect for someone starting off detailing as it's very safe to use compared to a rotary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

I'm looking into getting a good drying towel and was checking the Microfibre Madness one, but according to the website it's not available? :confused:

http://www.detailingshed.com/drying-towels/114-microfiber-madness-dry-me-crazy.html

I guess this is a question for Curran, what's the story with it or is it just me getting the message?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I'm looking into getting a good drying towel and was checking the Microfibre Madness one, but according to the website it's not available? :confused:

http://www.detailingshed.com/drying-towels/114-microfiber-madness-dry-me-crazy.html

I guess this is a question for Curran, what's the story with it or is it just me getting the message?
    Says out of stock for me

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Says out of stock for me

My bad I read it as 'no longer available'.

@Curran any idea when you'll have them back in stock? And when it says it's available with other options, do you have some packed with other products that if I bought I'd be able to get the towel with?

• Advertisement

Whatever way Curran has the site set up, "No longer available" means out of stock. I agree that it looks like as though the product is indeed no longer available and he should change it to out of stock instead.

Whatever way Curran has the site set up, "No longer available" means out of stock. I agree that it looks like as though the product is indeed no longer available and he should change it to out of stock instead.

I disagree...it should always say in stock on stuff.

What a long, strange journey it's been.

I estimate I've clocked up around 20 hours over the past 48, working on cleaning the car. It's not exactly how I wanted it (i need a proper buffer, as said on hare, the parkway one isn't ideal - mind you, my mechanic didn't have to give it to me. He could've told me to feck off, and it was better than going by hand, but I would have preferred a paint correcting-capable piece of kit. Must make a thread on them!).

So I think my overall process was:

Day 1 - Snow foamed, rinsed, washed, rinsed again, wheels cleaned, de-tarred, rinsed, iron-cleansed, washed again, rinsed again and clay barred all round. Left overnight inside.

Day 2 - Snow foamed, rinsed, washed, rinsed again, wheels cleaned, polished and waxed all round (including wheels, side bars, spoiler etc.).

The only place that got no real loving was the roof, but I intend to go over the roof with clay, polish and wax on Tuesday or Wednesday when I get a chance.

It's very satisfying having it so clean and reflective looking. It's very eye catching (in my opinion, but then it is my car and I did spend two days on it, so of course I'd think that).

Scratches and stone chips are still evident overall, but they are not as visible (so far, could just be placebo effect). I obviously haven't seen it in daylight yet. Great reflection off it. Had to bring it onto the town earlier and it looked great when i was walking back to it. Also great driving in it and seeing the reflections of the car in fronts number plates and such across the bonnet.

It's not perfect. Far from it. But I'm impressed (not only with the car, but my willingness to put myself through 20 hours for a car - Don't think I've ever felt so willing and wanting to do something that involved any kind of cleaning at all).

Next up - proper polish and interior.

Curran - Your heart will be broke!

The phone photos actually manage to make the car look worse than it is (it's usually good at hiding things!). Surprisingly, I think it looks better in-person!

A7AFB5B6E221457B9918206BB38AC828-0000333410-0003455564-01024L-50707D42AFC24234B77ED873D9C2723C.jpg

3D8AC8A3749F4ADA9C31BFE974E1C065-0000333410-0003455562-01024L-4899DD1CACE74B3E8342755655EEC92D.jpg

07022035520B4A80BA44CEA8A59C446A-0000333410-0003455561-01024L-B65C8EA6A93A4AF3A75FDDC35C664225.jpg

E8BA7073CF2247509BC85312DCA91199-0000333410-0003455560-01024L-FAAEDE4DE9BA4851B6B6623CA4EA7100.jpg
    (stone chips ruin the bonnet! :( )

And my favourite photo:

8E5F85437A9B45069F46F5D5665C3C18-0000333410-0003455555-01024L-0A11E04E5C3C42E48FCE0ED498CACACB.jpg

(should probably point out that a lot of the white specs and dirt on the side of the car, are actually just reflections of the dirty floor beside the car :P )

Going to take some 'proper' photos of it tomorrow, more than likely.

On a serious note; I genuinely, and very sincerely, appreciate all the help and advice given to me on here. Ye guys are fantastic and from day one pretty much hand-held me through cleaning it up to a decent standard (something I didn't think was possible before being introduced to TarCleanse and Claying).

I'm delighted with my efforts, but know I'd never have had the ability without the help of ye guys. A week ago the mere mention of the word 'clay' had me X'ing out of threads as I hadn't a bean what was being discussed, and now I'm spending hours on end getting rid of tar that I thought, to get rid of, would require a new set of side bars.

Once I figure out the snow foam and get a proper buffer I'll be all set, I think. Then I'll start looking at other products I want and can barely afford to add a bit more to the mix. It's very addictive, but very rewarding.

Thank you, ladies and gents. :)

If you want to do a real paint correction you need THIS

It's perfect for someone starting off detailing as it's very safe to use compared to a rotary.

Just got a chance to look at this now (couldn't look at it on the phone).

Aye.. it looks the part but it's a bit hefty price-wise. Is there no cheap an cheerful Joe Soap machine that might do the job? Even if it broke a week later, at least it'd let me see if I actually wanted to invest in a proper one and give me a realistic expectation with regards to how clean and 'correcting' it can be.

Not mad keen on parting with the guts of €200 with a risk of severe disappointment left looming over me if it's not able to do what I'd hoped it could do.. If that makes sense?

Aye.. it looks the part but it's a bit hefty price-wise. Is there no cheap an cheerful Joe Soap machine that might do the job? Even if it broke a week later, at least it'd let me see if I actually wanted to invest in a proper one and give me a realistic expectation with regards to how clean and 'correcting' it can be.

Not mad keen on parting with the guts of €200 with a risk of severe disappointment left looming over me if it's not able to do what I'd hoped it could do.. If that makes sense?

A second hand one. They pop up from time to time on adverts etc for under 100 quid. That's the pro though, there is another DA by kestral, the DAS6, which is a good bit cheaper.
    By the time you've bought the DAS6 the pads and the polish you wouldn't have much left over out of 150-160 quid.
    I've the DAS6 pro here and it's as good as it gets for polishing a car. It takes out virtually all scratches that haven't gone through the paint work.

Edit: by the way the rav4 looks unreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

KKV that is looking really really well! Fair play to ya for all the effort you put it, it really shows in the results!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Has to be the cleanest Rav 4 in the country. Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Great stuff KKV!

I have the DAS6 and it's a brilliant piece of kit. Keep an eye out for second hand ones and group buys as well.

I bet you'd be amazed at the difference a machine polish would achieve, I dont think you'd regret buying it.

BillJ wrote: »
    Great stuff KKV!

I have the DAS6 and it's a brilliant piece of kit. Keep an eye out for second hand ones and group buys as well.

I bet you'd be amazed at the difference a machine polish would achieve, I dont think you'd regret buying it.

Especially as its a black car.

Scortho wrote: »
    Especially as its a black car.

Agree. You can kind of see swirling and light scratches in the paint in the phone pics so I think machine polishing would be worth it

Thankfully (as far as I'm aware), the detailing world hasn't been 'graced' with dodgy crap products aka the cheap and cheerful that break in no time. In all honesty, it would probably do more damage to your paintwork anyway.

Polishers are expensive because they're the right tool for the job, and usually used by professionals (but that's changed a lot in the last few years).

As for what sort of results you can get, here's an image I nicked from detailingshed (over on bmwhaus)

DSC_0104_zpsb14dd70f.jpg

• Advertisement

Here are some of the results I got with the DA, it was my first time using it and the pictures were from a phone so did it no justice at all:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85731164&postcount=211

As that was the first time doing it I wasn't too sure of machine speeds or polish and pad combos so every time you use it the results get better with experience

Buy one KKV, you wont be disappointed! :)

Here are some of the results I got with the DA, it was my first time using it and the pictures were from a phone so did it no justice at all:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85731164&postcount=211

As that was the first time doing it I wasn't too sure of machine speeds or polish and pad combos so every time you use it the results get better with experience

Buy one KKV, you wont be disappointed! :)

ANOTHER E46 owner? Jaysus. :P

You have been using the cheap and cheerful, break in no time machine and as we said, it's of no use to you at all when it comes to correction. Either that or fork out €500+ for a detailer to do it!

Trust me, if you're happy with the results you have now, you'll be overjoyed with yourself after you get rid of the scratches!

BTW, does your username have anything to do with a certain guitar??

ANOTHER E46 owner? Jaysus. :P

Aye, picked up a well specced and minded SE last January, currently in the process of gradually retrofitting msport parts.

Another DA pic of the bonnet, poor quality pic again but you get the idea

oGIIOt3l.jpg

Aye, picked up a well specced and minded SE last January, currently in the process of gradually retrofitting msport parts.

Same plan as myself :D Looking well!

• Moderators Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Agreed that its definitely not the worst drying towel out there....but better than what he had been using!! It's all a learning process, and he's progressing very quickly, so fair play to him! :)

Almost word for word what I had said to him! :p
    Getting a proper drying towel was the best thing I ever got i'd say. Got this one and it only takes a few minutes to do the whole car without having to wring it out once.

I'd previously tried microfibre cloths and a chamois cloth that was awful.

+1 on the Microfiber madness dry me crazy towel. When i first opened it up I thought... its a bit small, but my God does it dry. No more rubbing a microfiber over the car (crying inside with the thoughts of swirls). Simply open up the towel, place it on the car, pat it down and repeat until the whole car is dry.

My dad got wheelie Woolies for the alloys, and my car is filthy. Cant wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

What lance / snowfoam combo are you using!?

Exactly what you guys told me, the inch of candy cotton and topped up with water. i have a karcher k series pressure washer with the lance I bought from a detailing shop in the uk, its the right fitting.

I used to use the hyperwash but I havent had a chance to wash out the lance and try it with both the hyperwash and candy cotton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

If I were you, I'd bask in the glow of a job well done for now and consider getting a DA polisher sometime in the new year. The car looks a lot better than it did when you started out, so enjoy it for a while :)

Bit of interest in drying towels!! :)

Should someone contact the supplier about doing a Group Buy?? :p

Though it'll probably be the New Year before they're back in in stock with Christmas looming!

Though it'll probably be the New Year before they're back in in stock with Christmas looming!

Count me in

• Advertisement

+1

Count me in for that GB ;)

I just bought one...
    Better count me in. :D

Count me in for that GB ;)

bout time you listened to me! :p

bout time you listened to me! :p

Yeah, that's why I'm buying one..................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I would buy one,
    I will also need a new wash mitt shortly.

How about a group buy with a
    Wash Mitt
    Shampoo. > 5ltr even.
    Drying Towel.

Even better idea, I like it!

vectra wrote: »
    I would buy one,
    I will also need a new wash mitt shortly.

How about a group buy with a
    Wash Mitt
    Shampoo. > 5ltr even.
    Drying Towel.

What about those of use who have 2 gallons+ of shampoo and 4 mitts but want one of these fancy drying towels?

Knowing you, we should just fluck off I suppose :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

What about those of use who have 2 gallons+ of shampoo and 4 mitts but want one of these fancy drying towels?

Knowing you, we should just fluck off I suppose :pac:

You wont be long using that lot up keeping your car clean :P

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    You wont be long using that lot up keeping your car clean :P

Gtechniq will see you wrong sir :D

I have 1 gallon of Meguiars Hyperwash, 1 gallon of Meguiars Shampoo Plus and a 500ml bottle of wax tec shampoo that smells like strawberry push pops :D

THese are my 2nd of each of the Megs shampoos, I got the first ones in 2009 and washed my car every week along with customers' cars. That'll show you how long it they last at 400:1 :eek:

Advertisement