Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Scortho wrote: »
    You generally let it run for 2 weeks then move on to ordering which can take a week or so for everyone to pay and then a few days for the shipping.

While there's 8-9 people committed at this stage, when the DA group but was being ran the last time and I went to confirm numbers a few pulled out, so it ended up lasting longer than intended. You'd ideally want 13 or 14 which allows a few people to pull out.

Can i get in on that group buy.
    Put me down if ye can.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

XsApollo wrote: »
    Can i get in on that group buy.
    Put me down if ye can.
    Thanks

I'm not even involved in it, was just explaining how the last one worked! :pac:

Here's the link to it, credit to vectra for organising it.
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057104915/3/#post88140639

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Thanks man.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

Gave the new 3 series a wash this afternoon. Our pipes were frozen so I couldn't use the hose to rinse, so I was using a watering can that I kept refilling. My mother, knowing I had originally wanted a 5 series, shouted out the kitchen window upon seeing my pouring water from a watering can over the car "I have some miracle grow if you want to see if it will grow into a 5 series...!"

Burned :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

TJ Mackie wrote: »
    Gave the new 3 series a wash this afternoon. Our pipes were frozen so I couldn't use the hose to rinse, so I was using a watering can that I kept refilling. My mother, knowing I had originally wanted a 5 series, shouted out the kitchen window upon seeing my pouring water from a watering can over the car "I have some miracle grow if you want to see if it will grow into a 5 series...!"

Burned :o

Didn't i say something like this to limerick man a while back?? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

if it's ok to ask, what roughly did the work on that mini cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Everytime I'm off, it's wet and windy and when I'm working, ideal conditions if a little cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Mc Love wrote: »
    Everytime I'm off, it's wet and windy and when I'm working, ideal conditions if a little cold

Perfect weather yday.Even got a top up coat of collinite on.Helps I have the shed though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Finally managed to get some clear enough weather yesterday to give the new car a decent clean inside and out. Don't want to drive it now for fear of ruining the hard work. :o

IMAG0154_zpsba980ff0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Nice motor...great colour...good work! Best of luck with it!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas.....

m2zy.jpg

That's after 5 minutes of dwell time :)

I have never been that much into cleaning the car myself but I fear I may be slowly getting the detailing illness. I hope I can shake it.....

Steam cleaner?safe to use on alloys?

Steam cleaner?safe to use on alloys?

Should be provided you have no flaking paint on them!

Is it worth the effort?

• Advertisement

Dunno...never had the need to try! ;)
    Have the necessary products to hand.

Is it worth the effort?

I bought a Karcher steam cleaner a while back thinking it would be of huge use and reduce a lot of the effort. It's not really what you think, especially since you would still have to wipe away the dirt as the pressure just isn't strong enough.

It would be very useful to clean a dusty engine bay but don't rely solely on it to blow dirt and grease away.

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas.....

That's after 5 minutes of dwell time :)

How did it come out initially?

I'm still not impressed with the snowfoaming effort I had with my own snow foam. Was very watery. Yours must have been much thicker coming out? After 5 minutes of sitting, my car would be snow-free.

How did it come out initially?

I'm still not impressed with the snowfoaming effort I had with my own snow foam. Was very watery. Yours must have been much thicker coming out? After 5 minutes of sitting, my car would be snow-free.

It came out as usual like melted marshmallow. I'm a part-time detailer so there'd be something wrong if it didn't come out thick :P

I just have it at its usual setting - almost full plus and only 1 or 2mm open at the nozzle. WHen I say almost full plus, turn the top to full plus and come back 1/6 of a turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

KKV, why don't you bring your snow foam lance over the road to Padraic in Flawless Detailing beside you there in Drogheda?
    Let him run it on his pressure washer and see what happens.

• Advertisement

Very strange you mention Flawless Detailing! I was actually just going to ask if anyone here had ever heard of him/them/it.

I see the car driving around a fair bit with 'FLAWLESS DETAILING' written on the side. I think it's a black estate car? It has green writing in an italic font (and no offence to the chap if he's a boardsie or likely to read this, but the car decalling is a bit pointless without an address or number). Usually see it around Mell. Nice looking car.

Anyway, no, I won't ask him. I'd imagine detailing as a job is a pain in the ass without people taking up your time so they can do their own detailing. I'll never hire the chap as I'm into DIYing it, so I'd feel terrible taking up his time with it.

I was actually going to ask if perhaps anyone can recommend an alternative to Cotton Candy Snow Foam that might be worth a look at? I've had pretty dire results with it (compared to what I should be getting, anyway) so I reckon I should give something else a lash.

Was also wondering if anyone can help out with buying advice on a machine polisher? The DAS6 850w comes recommended, I believe:

http://www.detailingshed.com/machine-polishing/241-kestral-das6-power-dual-action-polisher.html

But what do I actually buy? Is it just that? Or do I need extra pads or such? Any accessories that are essential (or that just make life easier)?

Well KKV, I use this snow foam:

imag0146sd.jpg

Which gives me foam like this:

1097g.jpg

It's actually the product I started the Snow Foam thread with!

If you're near Dublin anytime soon you're welcome to drop in and I'll give you a sample to try out.Hell,bring your lance along and I'll run it on my PW.

If you're near Dublin anytime soon you're welcome to drop in and I'll give you a sample to try out.Hell,bring your lance along and I'll run it on my PW.

You'd want to be careful saying things like that - I might actually take you up on it! :p

I read that thread alright. The stuff seems good if it works as in your pictures. My fear is getting more dribbly watered down 'foam' again, but sure I suppose there's only one way to find out, and that's to bite the bullet and see how I get on.

(although it'll be next week before I get a chance as my bank balance is getting dangerously low at the moment :o ).

Best checking your lance first!! Cotton Candy through those lances is known to work. If it doesn't, nothing else will.
    My offer still stands if we can manage to arrange a time suitable to both of us! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sidewayslarry

@ KKV - I know some people suggest that you need the dial on the top of the snow foam lance turned up to the full on '+' but in my experience of the PA snow foam lance (Autobrite lance) you need to turn the dial fully to the '-' position. The + and - on the PA lance refers to the amount of water you want to flow, and not the amount of foam you want to flow which is why it seems backwards. Try it out with the dial turned fully to the - position and then see how it works. I was never a huge fan of Cotton Candy but I have seen other guys get great foam from it so it should be foaming up for you especially with a new lance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Sorry if this is not the right thread for this but when you guys are using snow foam, do you add anything into the mixture like tar remover etc? I was reading a few threads lately on other sites were people had added other products into the snow foam mix but never seen any ratios mentioned. Is it a good idea to add tar remover to the mix or should it be avoided and if so, what sort of ratio should be used or is it a case of trial and error. I'm using the CleanCar.ie super snow foam and lance if that makes any difference.

The lance I have I got from detailer.ie in 2010 and I have always used Meguiars Hyperwash as s snow foam and I have always gotten excellent foam from it, never any clog or anything due to running cold water through it after each use.

I haven't a clue what brand it is because there never was a stamp or brand on it but the almost full minus means that the foam comes out in a strong, thick, melted marshmallow consistency.

Mark - I have never put anything into the bottle along with the snowfoam solution nor would I put tar remover in with it. It just doesn't sound right and I wouldn't be comfortable doing it. Also, it would only serve to dilute the tar remover so it wouldn't be as effective as using it on its own.

markc1184 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is not the right thread for this but when you guys are using snow foam, do you add anything into the mixture like tar remover etc? I was reading a few threads lately on other sites were people had added other products into the snow foam mix but never seen any ratios mentioned. Is it a good idea to add tar remover to the mix or should it be avoided and if so, what sort of ratio should be used or is it a case of trial and error. I'm using the CleanCar.ie super snow foam and lance if that makes any difference.

If you add Tardis to your snow foam it will simply emulsify and be ineffective - this is why it is recommended that you use it on a dry car.

As for chucking other chemicals like,for example, a citrus cleaner into snow foam, this can have the unintended and dangerous consequence of creating toxic gases.

TBH, I've been that soldier, and I've stopped doing it, just in case!

I've been playing with the lance a fair bit (well, when i got it, anyway, havent used it since I cleaned the car that time, and posted exhaustively about it on here :o :pac: ) But I adjusted the nozzle on top from one extreme to the other, and variations of in between the two.

I think I posted a video before of the best I got out of it, and it was still fairly watery (in comparison to what others seem to be able to achieve with the same kit). It also goes through the bottle like it's no one's business. Ye guys were saying you'd get two saloon cars done with a single bottle (sorry, when i say bottle, I mean the attachment to the lance, not an actual bottle of snow foam that you'd buy).

A single full bottle was getting me about 3/4 of the way around the Rav before I had to return to the house to mix some more up and go again.

So there's obviously something wrong somewhere along the way. :(

Really need to try out some of the suggestions on here, hoping it's dry enough to get to try it out tomorrow! Otherwise I'm in the same boat as kkv.

Surprised by the fact the meguiars hyperwash gave good results as I've mostly got watery results from it

• Advertisement

Had a try out today, had about an inch of cotton candy, added a small bit of hyperwash, cleaned out the lance with water first! No joy, the closest I got was the dial nearer the (-) producing thicker but still not the consistency others have had the luck with!

Suppose I could try taking the lance apart and try that option otherwise I'll have to buy a new one

I['d say there's something up with your water :pac:

McLove, what part of the country are you in?

It's not Santa Cruz, CAvan is it?

Hardly! Santa would'nt cruz in Cavan for fear his wheels would be (St.) nicked while he was in the shop getting cookies :pac:

I've been playing with the lance a fair bit (well, when i got it, anyway, havent used it since I cleaned the car that time, and posted exhaustively about it on here :o :pac: ) But I adjusted the nozzle on top from one extreme to the other, and variations of in between the two.

I think I posted a video before of the best I got out of it, and it was still fairly watery (in comparison to what others seem to be able to achieve with the same kit). It also goes through the bottle like it's no one's business. Ye guys were saying you'd get two saloon cars done with a single bottle (sorry, when i say bottle, I mean the attachment to the lance, not an actual bottle of snow foam that you'd buy).

A single full bottle was getting me about 3/4 of the way around the Rav before I had to return to the house to mix some more up and go again.

So there's obviously something wrong somewhere along the way. :(

Definitely something very wrong. If the gauze was clogged you would be using less snow foam than usual, so thats not the issue here. I've been using a PA lance now for over 5 years and I've never experienced a problem like that. Might be worth contacting the supplier and see does a replacement lance work better? Or if you knew someone else with a similar lance you could try to eliminate whether it is the lance or not? What power washer did you say you were using?

The other option would be to try out a different snow foam in case it was a bad batch of foam possibly.
    Had a try out today, had about an inch of cotton candy, added a small bit of hyperwash, cleaned out the lance with water first! No joy, the closest I got was the dial nearer the (-) producing thicker but still not the consistency others have had the luck with!

Suppose I could try taking the lance apart and try that option otherwise I'll have to buy a new one

The lance shouldn't be broken as there is very little to go wrong with these lances - there is no moving parts in them, and generally the only hassle they give is the gauze clogging in them, but even this can be easily rectified by blowing compressed air through it or by running hot water and apc through it.

Definitely worth stripping and seeing if the gauze is blocked.

Another possibility is that if the lance hasn't been used for a prolonged period of time the gauze can actually rust and completely block things up.

Definitely something very wrong. If the gauze was clogged you would be using less snow foam than usual, so thats not the issue here. I've been using a PA lance now for over 5 years and I've never experienced a problem like that. Might be worth contacting the supplier and see does a replacement lance work better? Or if you knew someone else with a similar lance you could try to eliminate whether it is the lance or not? What power washer did you say you were using?

The other option would be to try out a different snow foam in case it was a bad batch of foam possibly.

Well I was going to try out a different type of snowfoam and go from there.

I admit, it would be handy to get someone else who has the same lance to see if they ran into the same problem with it. If there's anyone in a 30-40 minute radius of me, who didnt fancy taking a gander, I'd happily pop out to them with my lance and snow foam to see how it worked out for someone else.

It's quite frustrating, in all honesty. So far it's the only real thing that's giving hassle.

I use a Nilfisk C120, by the way. Apparently it's a grand machine and should be able to snowfoam with ease.

I admit, it would be handy to get someone else who has the same lance to see if they ran into the same problem with it. If there's anyone in a 30-40 minute radius of me, who didnt fancy taking a gander, I'd happily pop out to them with my lance and snow foam to see how it worked out for someone else.

It's quite frustrating, in all honesty. So far it's the only real thing that's giving hassle.

I use a Nilfisk C120, by the way. Apparently it's a grand machine and should be able to snowfoam with ease.

Ah yeah, c120 is a cracking little machine, even the c110 is well capable of pushing out great foam so your washer is not the problem then either. Yeah try a different foam then I would think and if that doesn't sort it you will have eliminated the foam then also, meaning you have a problem lance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I have the same power washer as you, The same lance (Curran can confirm maybe but I did buy it off him) and the same snow foam (cotton candy). I do get a good thick foam using about 1cm of snow foam in the lance and filling it up with water. I can just about get 2 cars done with that amount of solution. If you want you are more than welcome to come down and try it at my house to see if there is a difference. I am in Wicklow though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

unspectacularly i washed the car two days ago for the first time since i applied the jet seal two months ago. the beading although not perfect is pretty damn impressive after 2 months of no maintenance. so much so that i'm not worried about applying more before February which will be the cars next wash.

• Advertisement

Nah its Limerick actually! :D
    The lance shouldn't be broken as there is very little to go wrong with these lances - there is no moving parts in them, and generally the only hassle they give is the gauze clogging in them, but even this can be easily rectified by blowing compressed air through it or by running hot water and apc through it.

Definitely worth stripping and seeing if the gauze is blocked.

Another possibility is that if the lance hasn't been used for a prolonged period of time the gauze can actually rust and completely block things up.

Thanks - I even tried it with a different PW still Karcher though but more powerful and the results were still milky. Lance stripping it is then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Nah its Limerick actually! :D

Thanks - I even tried it with a different PW still Karcher though but more powerful and the results were still milky. Lance stripping it is then!

Don't mean to sound condescending, but are you filling the bottle with water after adding an inch of snow foam?

stimpson wrote: »
    Don't mean to sound condescending, but are you filling the bottle with water after adding an inch of snow foam?

:D I knew there was something I wasnt doing....no I am not that stupid :D

Quick question: I seen on a thread here before some guy was using a handheld portable lamp of sorts to see the details of the paint clearer.

It was like a workers lamp of sorts. Quite strong, to show up the defects. My shed isn't all that bright so something like that'd be handy. He said he paid €12 in Aldi for it (but if i recall correctly the thread was a bit old, so it was presumably a one-off offer they did).

Can anyone recommend something similar to what I have described? I see halfords have an 'inspection lamp'

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_215628_langId_-1_categoryId_212549

But it doesn't really look idea (and a bit more than I'd like to spend if someone managed to get a better one for €12!) :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

You want a halogen lamp, the kind you'd see on a building site.
    The orangish glow I better than the stark white light for seeing detail.

Also, just seen halfords have rubber mats for a tenner;

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_978469_langId_-1_categoryId_212549

I have a load of these (well, rubber mats in general, not these exact ones) and they're fantastic if you ever need to get on the ground, or if your floor/ground is concrete (stops the cold getting up through your shoes!).

€10 is great value. If I hadn't already got far too many, I'd be heading straight over to get some myself. Also handy to line the boot with if you carry stuff that could damage the carpet. The ones I have can be cut with a Stanley kinife to get them to fit awkward spaces, too.

Just thought I'd post them up.

• Advertisement

CianRyan wrote: »
    You want a halogen lamp, the kind you'd see on a building site.
    The orangish glow I better than the stark white light for seeing detail.

Thought that's what it was called alright. I think I'll wait and see if one pops up on special offer anywhere along the way.

Ah, I don't think I'd ever justify that kind of money on, what is essentially a strong torch.

Unless I start detailing millionaire's cars for a living, I don't think I'd be all too keen to go mad on a torch at all. Something cheap, cheerful and strong would do for me. :/

Ah, I'm sure I'll pick up something sooner or later. It's not a huge issue for me.

I am wondering lately though about the interior of the car. Can ye guys give any advice or product suggestions for cleaning the material in a car? Fabric seats, for example.

Or the ceiling (my car has leather seats, but my ceiling, which is a light greyish colour (same in most cars I believe) has some annoying black marks on it. Wouldn't mind trying to get rid of them.

Planning on doing a number on my brothers car next week. His is very badly scuffed, scratched and generally chipped away at, so I reckon if i do a thorough clean and then use the DAS6 on his car, firstly it means that if I do any damage it won't really matter as he's not going to care, so gives me a chance to get to grips with it, and secondly, also means that I can use it across the variety of scrapes and scuffs to his car to give me a more realistic idea as to what I can expect the DAS6 and polish to do to different levels of damage to paint work (that is, I'll know to what extent it can 'fix' things).

But his has fabric seats, so I wouldn't mind having a shot at cleaning them.

I picked up a Tesco Upholstery Cleaner ages ago. It's a spray can. I haven't used it yet though. I'm afraid it'll just make things worse.

After doing the exterior last week and with the weather being so good today I decided to tackle the interior. It wasn't bad to start with but needed a going over.

Nothing fancy at all, just a hoover, dash and plastics polish and treated the leather as well.

IMAG0186_zps10503a34.jpg

IMAG01801_zpsbf5ac18c.jpg

IMAG0181_zps28393c48.jpg

IMAG0185_zpsf6faa1a3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭tony melia

is 150k on an audi a4 09 to much daughter wants to pay 10k for this is this milage to high it had one owner from new. Not sure this the right tread

• Advertisement
Advertisement