Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Nope, keep going straight on to the next crossroads after the scrapyard on the left, and you'll be in the Motors forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭tony melia

Nope, keep going straight on to the next crossroads after the scrapyard on the left, and you'll be in the Motors forum.
    Funny man who writes your scripts LES DAWSON

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

tony melia wrote: »
    Funny man who writes your scripts LES DAWSON

Ah come on bud, sense of humour is critical :D

Also being a member since 2009 and having 118 posts, you really should know where you're posting by now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Newtown90

@Harcrid looking very nice! What products did you use on your dash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Just a bog standard can of Bond Auto dash polish that I got in a local Auto factors ages ago. Cheap and cheerful but does the job.

Harcrid wrote: »
    After doing the exterior last week and with the weather being so good today I decided to tackle the interior. It wasn't bad to start with but needed a going over.

Nothing fancy at all, just a hoover, dash and plastics polish and treated the leather as well.

What's the car, out of curiousity?

I love the back seats. and although I generally hate that 'wooden panel' look that gets thrown onto the interior of some cars (regardless of subtlety) but it actually looks decent enough there. :)

Very nice interior altogether, in my opinion. Lovely job you did on it, too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Harcrid wrote: »

I'm a real SUV/jeep-y type of person (in that I generally much prefer those over 'normal' cars, appearance wise), but i have to say I do like that. And I seen that photo before, so im not sure why i didnt put 2 and 2 together to figure out that it would be that car the interior belonged to :o.

Fair play, man.

Question for you guys (one of those silly questions).. what's G3? I was reading a thread on Detailing World, and they were banging on about it in a thread were some fella detailed an old red car (it was a worn old, faded red, and he brought it up to 'as new' (well, relatively)).

I'm pretty sure I've heard the name mentioned on here before a couple of times. Is it just a polish (albeit a high end branded one?) :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

. what's G3? I was reading a thread on Detailing World, and they were banging on about it in a thread were some fella detailed an old red car (it was a worn old, faded red, and he brought it up to 'as new' (well, relatively)).

I'm pretty sure I've heard the name mentioned on here before a couple of times. Is it just a polish (albeit a high end branded one?) :confused:

It is also somethnig you would have to carefully choose which one to use as the paint on your Toyota is pretty soft as far as I am aware.

• Advertisement

So they are just polishes and such?

Are they really that much better than most products, or is the general opinion of them somewhat exaggerated?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sidewayslarry

The original G3 is a compound by Farecla which can only be described as liquid sandpaper. It is a very abrasive compound which needs to be kept lubricated as you use. Its basically an old skool compound that some guys in the body shop trade won't move away from. I have had a pot in my workshop now for nearly 10 years and only use it as a last resort. In saying that, I can't remember the last time it was used, must be 3 or 4 years ago now.

Farecla did bring out a range of polishes and waxes last year under the G3 name basically to play on how popular the G3 name was. I was curious so tried them out and they are no better than the usual Halfords junk. They are ok, and will put a shine on your car, but the polish is more of a glaze than a polish and the wax only lasted two washes and it was completely gone.

I was going to say 'you get what you pay for' but this stuff was really dear so that actually doesn't count here.

To give you an idea where I would place this stuff, I would put it somewhere in the middle of Halfords own brand gear and Autoglym, somewhere between 'Useless' and 'Average' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

20140109_135958_zpsxjz5mmm7.jpg

20140109_140019_zpsdjxtxigr.jpg

20140109_140037_zpstjxnvgcr.jpg

20140109_140055_zpst95jmytv.jpg

20140109_140114_zpsy9sdx4dc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

Nice work Eoin, what products did you use and what did you do.

Nice work Eoin, what products did you use and what did you do.

Tried the snow foam with warm water as I think Curran suggested, but gave up after one side as it was doing nothing and looked more like watered milk than anything!

Used the Bilt Hamber Wheel clean - the stuff is brilliant and leave's such a shine! Left it to work and then PW-ed them with a bit of help with a brush to remove some stubborn dirt.

So just power washed it (i must say having the wax on from the last time really helped as there wasnt much dirt to take off). Still using the OBM as I havent gotten around to buying another one! Used AG Shampoo which I am nearly out of - will probably use the Hyperwash again soon.

PW-ed it again, dried with 2 microfibre drying towels (dab dab dab :D)
    Cleaned the side and rear windows with AG Fast Glass (one thing that really annoyed me was the dust (which I think was coming from the microfibre cloths? Why would these be like this?)
    Windscreen with Rain-x (might as well use it before I can get the Hydrophobe)
    Used Turtle Wax wheel protector on the alloys to keep the brake dust at bay (at least for a while anyway)
    Used AG Tyre Dressing (Spray not the foam) on the tyres!

Finally waxed it with Meguiars Mirror Glaze 16!

If you use too much it will dust, if you cant see through the windows :pac: your doing it wrong.

What foam lance have you go Eion ?

Karcher K series one

Thanks for commenting on one of my pictures too! Although this is a much nicer one:
    20130717_183028_zps40841b6f.jpg

8j87cVt.jpg

http://www.cleancar.ie/heavydutysnowfoamlance-variousfitments.html

65 quid iiiiiiisssss a strech IMO - BUT you get foam not milk and its a strong unit so unlike the one you have which is all plastic i guess

Give me a call some day and ill bring mine over so you can see if you want to buy one or not ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

Silly question, but we have a Karcher K1.120 power washer - I presume this is okay if I was to purchase the above lance as it has a Karcher attachment?

i.e. is the problem with people getting milk rather than snow usually down to the lance and not the washer itself?

Thanks.

It's the cheap lance's

I don't think there Is a big difference between milk and 'foam' TBH, if your car is wax foam is good but if not MEH! its CRAP

I use my lance with a light mix of foam/water, its runny and i don't see the need to turn it up to 11 and have full on foam

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sidewayslarry

The benefit of having foam over milk is that the foam should cling to the car for longer, and the longer the foam stays on the car, the more it will break down the dirt and grime, so when you power wash off the foam you should be left with only maybe 10-20% of the dirt and grime left. If you only have milk, it will just run off the car like water, and won't clean like it is meant to.
    Even the very small Karcher washers should give you plenty of foam from a decent snow lance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

It's the cheap lance's

Nope.

I have the same problem with both my lances.
    I think it is something else.

Either
    1) watet pressure

2) Hard water.

3) I give up :P

Are ye all using the same brand of snow foam? -I mean the guys that are having trouble making proper foam, i.e. KKV,McLove,TJ Mackie and Vectra?

Are ye all using the same brand of snow foam? -I mean the guys that are having trouble making proper foam, i.e. KKV,McLove,TJ Mackie and Vectra?

I think it's just that they're all crap at detailing :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

I haven't even tried yet, I don't even have a lance :(

This van came to me yesterday for a valet and a coat of wax.

My friend looks after it well but had a lot of tar spot all around the body and the roof needed a thorough clean as it was neglected.

It hadn't been cleaned in about six months :pac:

c62b9739-26f0-4c87-991c-2c259ff1aaa4_zps8a5dcee1.jpg

678e558e-dc94-4c07-a60e-f7d360edbeca_zps700b3716.jpg

06-DSCF8622-001_zpscdc4d776.jpg

He wanted the door jams/sills clean and de-tarred

04-DSCF8619-001_zps74d4ba37.jpg

05-DSCF8620-001_zps68967867.jpg

Alge was growing in various spots around the body and roof :rolleyes:

03-DSCF8618-001_zps861984dc.jpg

09-DSCF8627-001_zps55c41af5.jpg

12-DSCF8632-001_zpsff4c0700.jpg

13-DSCF8633-001_zps1524b0b4.jpg

This resident found a new home

10-DSCF8628-001_zpsfe4e0617.jpg

This dark patch is from diesel being spilt and the dirt sticking to it

07-DSCF8625-001_zpse360a798.jpg

08-DSCF8626-001_zps56bd7d75.jpg

Glue which we removed on the roof

11-DSCF8630-001_zpsf32900d6.jpg

Cleaning not just the hub caps/wheels but also the tyres

14-DSCF8636-001_zpsc6d722d8.jpg

A shot while we de-tarred the two rear doors

15-DSCF8638-001_zps07b3c96b.jpg

Finished :cool:

1-DSCF8645_zpsd21c207f.jpg

Washed, de-tarred, clay barred, waxed, and a mini valet on the interior

b0ac7597-1c5c-4ee6-802c-0a44eb69eceb_zpsbe02871d.jpg

NICE reflection after

3-DSCF8647_zpsa7702b68.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Rare to see a work van looking so well, great job on it!

CianRyan wrote: »
    Rare to see a work van looking so well, great job on it!

DId you not see the job Larry did on a winey van??

• Advertisement

It's because the van is minded and cared for that it looks the way it dose when finished, no dents, scuffs or faded trim

Just factory fresh OEMness

Now that is all you need in your life is it not ?

Sorry James I meant the pa lance with the Kirchner fitment!

And I'm using the cotton candy foam!

Ill ask Rollo @ OCD for you and see what he says about it ;-)

Rollo said:
    Possibly the lance is clogged and needs cleaning. I had some pro strength foam that was sent out by mistake if its not clogged i can send out a replacement bottle

Entirely possible, in my case, but Im using the nilfisk c120 washer with the lance off detailingshed and cotton candy (and still getting watery milk).

So I assume im using the same gear a lot of people are using, but getting successful results from.. its odd (and annoying :o ).

I was only joking bud! I think you should just meet up with Curran and let him get it right for you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Just in case but. ..I assume you all the the clear plastic piping from the brass fitting to the bottom of the bottle, in place?
    Ive had someone complain before, and that was the issue but Im sure you all have it?

Curran wrote: »
    Just in case but. ..I assume you all the the clear plastic piping from the brass fitting to the bottom of the bottle, in place?
    Ive had someone complain before, and that was the issue but Im sure you all have it?

Yep have that - must see if I can take the lance apart first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

So I bought myself a new family friendly bus before Christmas - an 03 Volvo S60 2.0T with 75000 miles:

cee41b0b-4741-4b45-ac1d-0dda39179b90_zps428038ee.jpg

Most of my efforts so far involved converting to LPG, fitting reversing sensors and a hands free kit, so detailing will have to wait until I get myself a DA to fix this kind of thing:

402D4DF2-AFEC-4C11-8CAF-A28FF0DD624B_zpsjnteno0g.jpg

But the one thing that was really getting on my tits was the state of the glass. I could hardly see out the back window and 10 seconds in a cold car and the windscreen would have misted up. I spent a couple of hours over the Christmas just cleaning the glass, using professional strength glass cleaner. I still had misty windscreen yesterday morning so I attacked it this morning with Isopropyl alcohol, and I've ordered a new pollen filter which I'll fit tomorrow. This will give you some idea how bad it was - they had all been used front and back:

E80FBF67-73CC-4D36-A719-B82B15C837EA_zps0zwiqziy.jpg

The rear window is crystal clear now at least:

F884218D-0396-4468-8D42-0D3FB109C8B1_zps9hwrnn0f.jpg

I spent some time with the IPA trying to get rid of this mysterious sticky crap off the internal trim...until I discovered it WAS the internal trim - a previous driver had been picking away at it and it's beyond repair. I've decided to look for a leather interior instead :)

B5D10F4C-B03A-4809-9E2F-3D66906AE602_zpscij8whij.jpg

Next thing on the list is to get some Gtechniq C4 to sort out the plastic trim. There is a lot of it and the photo below doesn't do it justice - it's nearly milky white in places.

6C992386-F099-43FE-839E-154FAA540E7D_zpsevv7agga.jpg

Anyway, watch this space - as soon as the weather (and my bank balance)improves I'll be putting her back to her former glory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Nice bus you've picked up for yourself.

You could have those interior trim pieces done in somewhere like Aquaprint.

• Advertisement

stimpson - if you have a hazy screen, use autoglym glass polish. Apply it with a cotton applicator pad, let it dry fully, buff it off and you have a 100% streak-free windscreen.

Curran wrote: »
    Nice bus you've picked up for yourself.

You could have those interior trim pieces done in somewhere like Aquaprint.

Thanks. Couldn't find a 523i in budget that wasn't in bits. The Volvo is around the same power and I got it for €100 more than I got for the CRX. It came with 14 months NCT, 3 months tax, new tyres and a warranty so I couldn't really say no. If I can get a leather interior and a centre console from a post '06 I'll be happy enough.
    stimpson - if you have a hazy screen, use autoglym glass polish. Apply it with a cotton applicator pad, let it dry fully, buff it off and you have a 100% streak-free windscreen.

I'd bet its active ingredient is IPA. Why dilute it and pay autoglym prices? I got some off this lad on adverts - http://touch.adverts.ie/crazy-random-stuff/500-ml-isopropyl-alcohol-ipa-99-8/3071459

I got into the car this evening and there was a bit of mist, but between starting the car and getting my phone out for a pic it had disappeared. Problem solved :)

Nope, not a drop of IPA in the AutoGlym Glass polish.

I was only joking bud! I think you should just meet up with Curran and let him get it right for you ;)

Have been in touch with Curran and gonna see if i can meet up with him to collect the group buy purchases, and he said he'll take a look at it then. (besides, why pay the guts of a tenner on postage when I can buy something extra instead! :D ).

Im not sure what the plastic piece is that you're referring to though Curran? :confused:

I'm gonna detail my brothers car sometime in the coming weeks. When the weather improves a little bit (so probably in July! :( ). His car is an 03 Megane. It has plastic grey trim on the exterior and I recall seeing pictures of someone cleaning up a megane.

They took the dull dreary grey plastic and made it look brand new. Anyone know how they did this (it was a while ago that i seen it and I cant seem to find it anymore). It looks really well but I've no idea how it was achieved. Night and day difference.

stimpson wrote: »

I'd bet its active ingredient is IPA. Why dilute it and pay autoglym prices? I got some off this lad on adverts - http://touch.adverts.ie/crazy-random-stuff/500-ml-isopropyl-alcohol-ipa-99-8/3071459

That bloke is sticking the arm in at that price - €10 for just 500ml.
    I posted about a company in the Detailing On A Budget thread last August where you can get 2.5L of IPA delivered for €18.98 - that lad would be charging €50 for the same amount!

Have been in touch with Curran and gonna see if i can meet up with him to collect the group buy purchases, and he said he'll take a look at it then. (besides, why pay the guts of a tenner on postage when I can buy something extra instead! :D ).

Im not sure what the plastic piece is that you're referring to though Curran? :confused:

I'm gonna detail my brothers car sometime in the coming weeks. When the weather improves a little bit (so probably in July! :( ). His car is an 03 Megane. It has plastic grey trim on the exterior and I recall seeing pictures of someone cleaning up a megane.

They took the dull dreary grey plastic and made it look brand new. Anyone know how they did this (it was a while ago that i seen it and I cant seem to find it anymore). It looks really well but I've no idea how it was achieved. Night and day difference.

It's the plastic tube that goes down into the bottle - part N0. 23 in the diagram below:

foamlanceexplodeddiagra_zps40c7b27a.png

That bloke is sticking the arm in at that price - €10 for just 500ml.
    I posted about a company in the Detailing On A Budget thread last August where you can get 2.5L of IPA delivered for €18.98 - that lad would be charging €50 for the same amount!

That site has a litre for 8.99. In fairness to Doc Solder, i needed it in a hurry on New Year's Day after a hungover water based iphone disaster. He saved me far more than the cost of the IPA, and threw in a bottle of soldering flux for free. Sound bloke.

It's the plastic tube that goes down into the bottle - part N0. 23 in the diagram below:

Ah, okay. Yeah I have that tube. Not sure i'd get anything out of the lance without it?! :confused:

Hopefully if i meet up with Curran it'll just be a case of something overly simple that he'll cop straight away and although I will look like a fool, i'll be able to lash on some thick foam in the end.

And isnt that what we all want? A nice thick foam sprayer?

Are you using the OAC Cotton Candy as well KKV?

• Advertisement

Are you using the OAC Cotton Candy as well KKV?

I'm not sure what OAC stands for, but it is cotton candy, alright.

This stuff;

http://www.detailingshed.com/shampoo-snowfoam/27-cotton-candy-snowfoam.html

EDIT: Sorry, OAC - Orchard Auto Care... duh.. :o

Advertisement