Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

It's just that if all three of ye that are having problems are using the same foam, and there is the possibility of a batch error with that product,then maybe this is the problem?

Rollo said:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orchard Autocare
    Possibly the lance is clogged and needs cleaning. I had some pro strength foam that was sent out by mistake if its not clogged i can send out a replacement bottle

Vectra, I think we can safely rule out any clogging issues with your foam lance,(as you probably have the cleanest one in Ireland!),so what foam are you using - or are you getting the same poor results having tried different ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Have also tried with the Hyperwash since day one and never got the kind of foam one would expect. Maybe my lance was never working in the first place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Vectra, I think we can safely rule out any clogging issues with your foam lance,(as you probably have the cleanest one in Ireland!),so what foam are you using - or are you getting the same poor results having tried different ones?

One of my lance's is a couple of years old ( Cleancar one ) and I did change the filter once in it but I have no idea what went wrong., It just refused to spray and sort of foam.

I eventually bought an AD one with the red adjusters,
    While this worked I was never overly impresssed to the level I was when I first got my Cleancar one.

After 3 or 4 uses and always flushing with hot water I was maorly peed off to see milk flowing out of it, no matter what mix I used.

I have tried Cotton Candy and some Autobrite foam as well.

I have a new filter which I am going to fit later today and try again,
    If this fails I don't know what the issue might be.
    Pressure from my washer seesm to be as good as it always was,

I may have to take a driv to MM someday and let him use it to check.

Will post back later if I get it sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

This is probably the cause of my misty windscreen...

B54278B8-9970-4C8C-BB5E-51051618AA66_zpsv3am3jmq.jpg

I doubt it has been changed in 10 years. There was twigs and all sorts of crap in there. Just need another cold morning to test it now.

Well.
    I stripped only part of the lance. and replaced the filter.

Was very happy with the outcome.

Goods used

IMG_0507_zps55c83f28.jpg

Filled almost to label with foam

IMG_0509_zpse7c5657b.jpg

Filled to just above top of label with warm water

IMG_0510_zps00414d8e.jpg

Foaming

th_Foaming_zpsb2c0cc2e.jpg

Thickness of foam on ground

th_IMG_0516_zpsc3d769ac.jpg

Dwelling for about 10 ~ 15 mins while cleaning wheels etc..

IMG_0517_zps49aec3c6.jpg

Result of just pressure washing foam from car without washing it.

Gave it a spray of diluted Demon shine and hosed it off.
    Left it to dry itself

Happy with the result..

IMG_0519_zps949cf354.jpg

• Advertisement

Curious to see the difference myself there Vectra (waiting for the photobucket video to buffer).

From the pictures it still looks quite runny?

This is what I feel should be the standard that should be achieved by anyone who has made the investment into a decent lance, power washer and snow foam solution:

That's what I'm looking to achieve, anyway. An actual foam (as opposed to 'milky' foam). :o

Unrelatedly;I had €40 on one of those one4all cards, so I took a trip up to Halfords to pick up some bits and bobs (didn't really randomly buy; checked their site in advance to see how I could best get the €40 to travel, so checked reviews and such of the products and only bought things I actually may use, rather than going in and buying anything that has a fancy packaging).

F2685AA727BC4FAF8F5BB65C2D057E4F-0000333410-0003476707-00800L-AB715FA5578D4A40A1BE4903ED898185.jpg

So will hopefully get some decent results from them.

Speaking of fancy packaging though; that Auto Glym stuff is very professional looking (stress the word 'looking', I've never used their stuff before, so they could be crap products). If I were a Detailer I'd slowly but surely be moving on to buying their products. Even if it was to spill them out and fill the bottles with something else. Their packaging is really, really good, in my opinion.

From what I can tell, all the packaging is identical, but the logo is colour coded for different parts of the car, and the actual product itself has it's name written in smaller lettering under the logo. It looks really, really well.

Found this picture in a google search;

autoglym-concours-kit.jpg

Has to be the best packaging of any of the detailing products on the market? Meguiar's make good stuff, but their packaging is very childlike or 'Tesco-ey' in comparison. The Auto Glym stand in my local Halfords looks the bees knees.

(I know that's a lot of praise for something as simple as packaging, but I really do think they look great together, and sure isn't detailing all about appearances, anyway! :P ).

And nope... I don't work for Auto Glym... (though maybe if I keep this up, I will in future?! :P )

(Edit, upon further looking, it'd appear I made up the colour-coded logo thing.. it's just a random colour for each product. I thought they had one colour for interior, one for exterior body, one for wheels, etc. etc... my bad!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Dont be drawn by the appearance of products. Manufacturers with massive marketing budgets can afford to spend money achieving a quality feel, though the products may be average.

Take Chemical Guys....some od their bottles were just black and white labels...having said that they've recently splashed out on marketing and updated their labels for most of the range.
    Orchard Auto Care is another that comes to mind. Small company, exceptional products, let down a little due the labels, but cant afford to spend money on marketing; better spent on product development.

There are other companies that introduce brand new ranges with fancy labels, but their product are average.

That said, every manufacturer has a few products in their range that are worth a look at, so dont rule out any product on ttheir appearance! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

gqfy.jpg

+ 303 Aerospace Protectant =

fgw8.jpg

:)

Curran wrote: »
    Dont be drawn by the appearance of products. Manufacturers with massive marketing budgets can afford to spend money achieving a quality feel, though the products may be average.

Take Chemical Guys....some od their bottles were just black and white labels...having said that they've recently splashed out on marketing and updated their labels for most of the range.
    Orchard Auto Care is another that comes to mind. Small company, exceptional products, let down a little due the labels, but cant afford to spend money on marketing; better spent on product development.

There are other companies that introduce brand new ranges with fancy labels, but their product are average.

That said, every manufacturer has a few products in their range that are worth a look at, so dont rule out any product on ttheir appearance! ;)

Oh I'm aware that marketing and promotion are worlds away from product competence. I was just remarking on their products because they seem to be the only company I've seen (so far?) that actually look professional (within the detailing world).

Chemical Guyz stuff is good in that it looks quite 'no nonsense'. Their products work so they don't necessarily need to spend an arm and a leg on product packaging (and considering they seem to try and come across as 'young and rebellious', they're probably better off not having a budget for that kind of thing).

Meguiar's, a premium brand, just don't seem to have their image tie in too well with their reputation.

For example, look at the Auto Glym collection of products above, and then compare them to this random google image of Meguiar's stuff. The Meguiar's stuff looks terrible in comparison.

22006_NewProducts_lores.jpg

Chemical Guys, whilst you could say they look like a budget brand, also look highly professional and very technical when you group a few of them together;

CGLineupSmall.jpg

They make it look a bit more complicated than it needs to be to someone who doesn't know what any of the stuff is (even though their packaging actually makes it easier to know what's what, and how much you have left of each product).

What I'm getting at is, if I didn't know anything about detailing, and we'll say I hired a mobile Detailer to come around and sort out my car. If he pulled open the door on his van and it had shelf after shelf of AutoGlym stuff, this detailer would look very high-brow, in my opinion.

All of the products look expensive. They have an elegant and crisp packaging that makes them stand out and look the business.

If he had shelves of Chemical Guys stuff, he'd look a bit more technical, but very serious. With all the different coloured products with straight-forward labels, it'd look like the Detailer is sourcing his stuff direct from manufacturers and he's using stuff that works well.

If he had shelves of Meguiar's, he'd look more like an amateur who'd been picking up his bits and pieces as he goes along one at a time and just randomly settling on whatever product might do the job required (which is odd, as Meguiar's have an amazing reputation).

Therefore, if I were a detailer, I'd be driving a pristine van and I'd have AutoGlym products (whether I used them or not) neatly displayed in my van or in a bag or whatever, and they'd be the first (and only?) thing the customer sees.

(of course, all this is very much in theory - In reality I'd say the amount of people that would even notice what products you're using would be negligible, and the amount that would care would be less so. So long as they get a 141-looking car for a pittance, they'll be happy campers! :rolleyes:).

I do realise I'm over-analyzing this; But as I say, I just found the AutoGlym packaging to really be staggeringly above all of their competition in regards to creating a 'professional's choice' kind of image.

+ 303 Aerospace Protectant =

smile.png

Looks the business. Great work!

Have to admit, I'm terrified of the engine of my car. Can picture myself cleaning it one day, and then getting the car towed into my mechanic the next morning :o

Also, not sure who detailed the van in the previous pages (James, possibly?) but they did a fantastic job. I'd say a van is a real pain in the ass to detail. Looked brand new. Fair play! ;)

For sexy branding you can't beat Collinite:

Collinite476S.jpg

• Advertisement

The Meguiars/AutoGlym comparison reminds me of a plain and simple America/England comparison if you know what I mean.

America = loud, brash and in your face. Good and gets the job done.

England = posh, reserved and doesn't have to shout about it and still gets the job done.

However, I am a huge fan of Meguiars products and I've been using them since I got into valeting way back in 2006 and they have always served me well. The first time I used AutoGlym was Super Resin Polish and it left powdery residue in all the cracks on the car and it pissed me right off. The only AG stuff I use now is the glass polish. I used use the leather cleaner and balm until I discovered that the leather cleaner was no more than an APC. I now use Gliptone cleaner and conditioner and I can clearly see that the Gliptone cleaner is so much more than an APC!

When it comes to Meguiars, not all their products are perfect. The hot wheels tyre shine slings like a mofo and their Gtechniq "rivalling" coatings have the durability of wet bog roll.

stimpson wrote: »
    For sexy branding you can't beat Collinite:

Not mad about that, to be honest. Colour scheme and general 'vintage' vibe doesn't really work for me at all. Looks like a shoe polish that an ould fella on the street would have 100 years ago tongue.png

America = loud, brash and in your face. Good and gets the job done.

England = posh, reserved and doesn't have to shout about it and still gets the job done.

I could see that as being somewhat accurate alright. Are Auto Glym/Meguiar's actually English/American companies, out of curiousity?

I've no real experience of either brands yet (still very new to detailing, so have only really used a handful of products so far) but I'm lead to believe Meguiar's are the Real McCoy in the detailing world.

Can I ask ye guys, from a detailing standpoint, is there anything that can be done for stone chips? My bonnet's gotten them pretty bad along the front, and I'm afraid to go mad with the DAS6 for fear of it catching on them and pulling paint off the car.

I think the 'best' option is to get the bonnet re-sprayed? But also likely to be the most expensive option, too.

Are there any miracle products out there that I can try?

I was considering getting one of those car moustaches, but it wouldn't actually really help, and it'd more than likely end up just getting in the way when I'm trying to clean the bonnet in future.

AutoGlym are English and Meguiars are American.....hence my comparison :P

AutoGlym are English and Meguiars are American.....hence my comparison :P

Oh I understood the comparison, but just wasn't sure if you were making it up as you went along, or if the companies actually were American and English. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Can I ask ye guys, from a detailing standpoint, is there anything that can be done for stone chips? My bonnet's gotten them pretty bad along the front, and I'm afraid to go mad with the DAS6 for fear of it catching on them and pulling paint off the car.

I think the 'best' option is to get the bonnet re-sprayed? But also likely to be the most expensive option, too.

Are there any miracle products out there that I can try?

If you get the same colour paint, you can go around filling in the chips using a toothpick. You get the paint just over the level of the normal paint, then wet sand it, then polish with a DAS6 to remove the sanding marks.
    http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20127
    http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=256901

Or then there's this method I just came across
    http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=217520

Or there's the alter-alternative :pac: Dr.Colorchips

Not mad about that, to be honest. Colour scheme and general 'vintage' vibe doesn't really work for me at all. Looks like a shoe polish that an ould fella on the street would have 100 years ago tongue.png

I was being sarcastic! In fairness, they've only been making wax since 1936. :)

I use it because it's cheap and damn good at what it does. I put 2 coats on in October and it's still beading (despite needing a wash). Surely the performance of a product is more important than what the container looks like.

KKV - that Collinite is one of the best waxes available on the market. Do not let the retro packaging fool you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I still have perfect beading after using the collinite last August.

If you get the same colour paint, you can go around filling in the chips using a toothpick. You get the paint just over the level of the normal paint, then wet sand it, then polish with a DAS6 to remove the sanding marks.
    http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20127
    http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=256901

Or then there's this method I just came across
    http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=217520

Or there's the alter-alternative :pac: Dr.Colorchips

Hmm.. from looking at the guides there, it'd appear my chips may be a tad more severe than most peoples... :o

I've also got rust visible on them. From reading DW threads you linked to, that has to be treated before I do anything else.

Anyone any experience of this?

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_187229_langId_-1_categoryId_212430

Seems like the thing I'm looking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Decided to clean the spare wheels, alot of dirt and tar inside of them.

43DE3B06-C7E5-471F-A395-253BD2B84FD7_zpstahkydkw.jpg

0368187F-7A55-4245-BE5C-C23115B700E9_zpsjfdmj54n.jpg

Powerhosed the wheels, washed them, powerhosed again, dried the wheels, used Orchard Autocare Tar Cleanse, powerhosed and another wash. Didn't do any rubbing, Orchard Autocare Tar Cleanse is great stuff! Will give them another at the weekend or next week.

7D122426-75F7-4FDC-B562-638685A51690_zpsbcravaxg.jpg

EC815950-504A-4DE4-9CBD-316695F18AD9_zpsat79ojxh.jpg

E494D241-53F3-4DCB-82C9-93DB2CE3E66B_zpsggjcbmkq.jpg

E8C043C7-0C34-4A06-8154-1139232E373F_zpsghzvvac3.jpg

B866E2EF-CF90-4BB3-9292-9CBDE86F01E7_zps1mph6zt5.jpg

E8C043C7-0C34-4A06-8154-1139232E373F_zpsghzvvac3.jpg

38BED737-3808-43D6-B3F0-100BD7679CFC_zpst1wi8owm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

F*** that wheel is nasty, i mean OUCH!

Over the last couple of weeks I've been picking bits up here and there and using a variety of ways to do so.

I'd primarily like to buy from DetailingShed as Curran pretty much handheld me through the start of my detailing adventures and gave me some good advice and product recommendations, but I was reading on other forums for different products people were recommending and such that weren't on DetailingShed which lead me to other sites (and of course, the all too convenient doors of Halfords aren't doing my already-fragile wallet any good, either).

So I've accumulated a few bits and pieces and I have absolutely no idea what I have now. I bought some plastic storage shelving thingies in homebase for storing things in (These ones, except homebase ones are black and €22).

So I'll have to make a list of what I have, and what product can be used for what

Anyway, I've used 3 sites for detailing (Detailingshed.com, CleanYourCar.co.uk and CleanCar.ie). Clean Car are Irish so I'll assume someone here is involved (though maybe not?), but they did something that I thought was very clever and high end of them.

All of the sites I've purchased off have sent a written note with the package. Which is an extremely nice touch and really classy of them (also makes you feel like detailing is made up of a very friendly set of like-minded people, and that you're actually a part of a nice group). But CleanCar went one further aswell (I hope you're taking notes, Curran :P ) and included a sweet in the package.

Just a sweet. A hard sweet that you'd suck (not an innuendo). Such a small detail, but as cheesy as it may sound, it actually made me smile at the thoughtfulness (and not just because I'm a fat bastard that devours sweets in an instant).

I know it's a tiny thing, but between all the sites I've ordered from, and the general friendliness of everyone on here, it really shows how selfless and supportive people on here can be.

Detailers are my new favorite people! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Curran sent lollipops out with the DA group buy.

Sidewayslarry is behind cleancar. Have yet to buy of them, need to wait until funds allow me to buy some gtechniq.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Detailers are my new favorite people! :D
    And with the amount your buying up you're probably one of theirs too! :p

Scortho wrote: »
    Curran sent lollipops out with the DA group buy

Really? Haha. Very sound chaps, so they are! :D

And with the amount your buying up you're probably one of theirs too! :P

Ah, I'm sure there are many people buying much more than I am. :P

My problem is I'm buying lots of random pieces. For example, i bought a few bits off CleanYourCar because I had to pay £10 postage, and I was using a discount code, so I figured I may aswell get a couple of bits while I'm there to justify the postage (and ended up forgetting some stuff and having to make a second order anyway! :mad: :o ).

So there's possibly (but not entirely sure) a lot of overlap in what I own. I've probably got several polishes, waxes etc. and just don't really realise it.

I bought the storage units in Homebase so I could try to better sort out my stuff and be a bit organised, but I've yet to actually go through my stuff.

Although in saying that, I've actually probably bought very little in the grand scheme. I'm sure there are many people on here with a collection of various bits and pieces that they've purchased for different uses?

Speaking of buying things, can anyone recommend a decent product (preferably on DetailingShed as I'll be meeting Curran sometime to collect the groupbuy off him) that will do a number on fabric seats. Just a general cleaner to try and get them back to looking relatively clean again?

This caught my eye (Chemical Guys Fabric Clean);

http://www.detailingshed.com/interior/88-chemical-guys-fabric-clean-.html

But unsure if it'll be any good or not?

F*** that wheel is nasty, i mean OUCH!

It's bad alright, it was there when I bought the car. Must get a quote to fixed it.

It's bad alright, it was there when I bought the car. Must get a quote to fixed it.

Haven't ever really heard of touch ups being done on wheels. You'd be better finding a single replacement in good condition tbh. You can't ever really just get one wheel painted, it won't match the set in terms of colour.

You could have a go at it yourself?

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/wheel-repair/wheel-scuff-repair.htm

Don't think I would be keen on doing it myself especially when it's a bad scratch and I don't really have the time these days. Emailed for quotes to a few places around Cork this morning. I might just sell them on as they are if it's gonna cost too much.

• Advertisement

I'd love that job!!

Right, so I made up a list of everything I currently have (including things i've ordered but still waiting to get delivered). I'm not sure if I have grouped things into the right places or not though. Still learning. And I have far too many multiple choices (too many waxes, polishes, etc. would Ideally prefer to have one single product for each category).

Miscellaneous
    Nilfisk C120 Power Washer
    AutoBrite Direct Snow Foam Lance
    Microfibre wash mitt (x4)
    Chemical Guy's UFO Foam Applicator Pad (x2)
    Generic Foam Wax Applicators (x3)
    3M 3434 Masking Tape (x3)

Interior
    Tesco Foam Upholstery Cleaner
    Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer Cleaner
    Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner and Conditioner
    Pledge Dust and Protect Cleaning Spray
    Chemical Guy's Stripper Scent

Paint Work
    AutoGlym Bumper and Trim Gel
    Orchard Auto Care Tar Cleanse

Claying
    AutoBrite Direct Detailing Clay Bar
    Meguiar's Clay Bar

Wheel Care
    Orchard Auto Care Iron Cleanse
    Orchard Auto Care Wheel Cleanse
    Wonder Wheels Alloy Wheel Cleaner
    Armorall Wheel Shield (x2)
    Orchard Auto Care Glitz Tyre Dressing

Shampoos
    Valet Pro PH Neutral Snow Foam
    Tesco Wash and Wax
    Chemical Guy's Glossworkz Shampoo
    Chemical Guy's Mr. Pink

Drying
    Meguiar's Water Magnet Drying Towel
    Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy Towel
    Microfibre Cloths (used) (x6)
    Microfibre Cloths (new) (x12)

Machine Polishing
    DAS Pro 6 Machine Polisher
    DAS6 CG's 5.5" Hex-Logic Pad - Green
    DAS6 CG's 5.5" Hex-Logic Pad - White
    DAS6 CG's 5.5" Hex-Logic Pad - Orange
    DAS6 CG's 5.5" Hex-Logic Pad - Black
    DAS6 CG's 5.5" Hex-Logic Pad - Red

Polishes
    Meguiar's Ultra Cut Compound
    Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish
    Chemical Guys Pro Polish 3N

Glazes
    Chemical Guys Glossworkz Glaze

Waxes
    Turtle Wax All in One Synthetic Liquid Wax Kit
    Car Plan Complete Deep Gloss Car Wax
    Chemical Guy's Pete's 53 Black Pearl Paste Wax

Glass
    Turtle Wax Clear Vue Glass Clean

D5E3C4842B1C499D91E54FDABC652577-0000333410-0003478859-00800L-E7D75E4171974449B59643F9ACF10A96.jpg

Most of my stuff seems to be Chemical Guy's branded I think. So I think I might try and phase every other brand out and stick with them. As it is, I seem to be ending up with just all kinds of random stuff for the sake of it. :(:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

I wouldn't be just sticking to one brand. I'd be trying to get the best wax within budget, the best clay etc. Sticking to one brand means you get their good stuff but also get their ****e

I wouldn't be just sticking to one brand. I'd be trying to get the best wax within budget, the best clay etc. Sticking to one brand means you get their good stuff but also get their ****e

Bit from column A, bit from column B.

As Curran would more than likely say - Sticking to one brand for glaze/sealant/wax/etc is more often than not, a good idea. It's down to the manufacturer specifically making the product to work best with their own other products, so you usually get better bonding between LSP from the same manufacturer, hence better longevity. Jetseal + any CG wax, for example..

As with every rule, there's always exceptions. OAC Perfection being the obvious one, it'll stick to anything :D

You're right though, while certain manufacturers make fantastic products, they also make some unholy amount of shíte. Autoglym EGP, HD wax and glass polish are all fantastic. I wouldn't use their tar remover on a wheelbarrow.

If I was recommending any brand to show loyalty to, it would have to be OAC. No frills or fancy packaging, but by god do the products work. Sealant/wax just find the best combo that works for you and your car. Everyone has their favorites.

• Advertisement

Some of the earliest advice i was given on here was that it can be good to stick to a single brand as their products work better together? :confused: (im referring to body work stuff here though; shampoo, polish, glaze, wax etc.).

No..?

My problem is that, while I don't mind spending a couple of Euro here and there, I don't necessarily know what makes one wax or polish, etc. better than the others.

Now that I'm machine polishing, for example, I'm looking at my Pete's 53 wax, in it's circular tub, and wondering, how the feck do i get that onto the pad of the DAS (even though it came highly recommended, and to be fair, im still getting great water beading since using it last).

Or am I better off still waxing by hand? (see, these are some of the things im not sure of and still learning about).

Also, can I ask, now that I've introduced a glaze into the mix, is the correct order: Polish, then Glaze (by machine?) and wax?

I intended on applying everything by machine now (hence picking up so many different hex-logic pads). But Im not sure if that's just being a little short-sighted and wanting to use the DAS for the sake of using it just cos I have it now. :o

There seems to be a bit of confusion here! :)

Its best to stick to the same manufacturer when choosing what you are applying to your paintwork. So for example if you choose to go with a glaze, sealant and wax, then its best to find a combo that works for you from all the one manufacturer, as they will have been designed to work best together.
    If you were to choose a glaze from manufacturer X and sealant & wax from manufacturer Y, then the sealant from Y may not bond too well to glaze X, and this will limit the performance of products from Y.
    This is often why some people are disappointed by a certain product that they might have heard others say were brilliant....failure to prepare the paint well or mixing it with other products and then its not being used to its full potential. To get the most out of any one product, its best to apply it on its own to bare paint, applying 2 or 3 layers. For example a wax that says it will give 3 or 4 months protection, will only do so applied to bare paint. If a glaze was applied initially, it hinders the bonding of the wax, and as a result it may only last 2 months. If the glaze X and wax Y were used, you may only see 1 month out of the wax.

When choosing products to do other jobs around the car, its a matter of finding what products you like working with or that do the job you need. There is no 1 manufacturer out there that makes a range of all excellent products. There are some who's range, the majority would be good/great. Others that might have just one or two worth considering. Chemical Guys would be good across most of the range. Autoglym, IMO, the only products Id consider would be Fast Glass, HD Wax, SRP & EGP....with HD Wax being excellent and if in the CG's range, would be far more expensive. SRP & EGP is a fantastic combo for doing a hand polish and seal.
    I'd easily have products from 7/8 manufacturers if doing a machine polish from prep through to protection.

Now that I'm machine polishing, for example, I'm looking at my Pete's 53 wax, in it's circular tub, and wondering, how the feck do i get that onto the pad of the DAS (even though it came highly recommended, and to be fair, im still getting great water beading since using it last).

Or am I better off still waxing by hand? (see, these are some of the things im not sure of and still learning about).

Also, can I ask, now that I've introduced a glaze into the mix, is the correct order: Polish, then Glaze (by machine?) and wax?

I intended on applying everything by machine now (hence picking up so many different hex-logic pads). But Im not sure if that's just being a little short-sighted and wanting to use the DAS for the sake of using it just cos I have it now. :o

The correct workflow would be...
    Machine Polish
    Wash down the car to remove oils from the polish
    Glaze - if you choose it
    LSP (Last Stage Protection - Sealant or Wax, sealant 1st if doing both)

Yes, glaze, sealant and wax, can all be applied with a soft pad on a DA, but to be honest its nearly more hassle than its worth. Glazes and Sealants usually wont be an issue, as they are normally in a bottle and can be squeezed onto the pad. Waxes as you know are usually in a tub, so if you wanted to apply those with a DA, then Id advise you prime the pad for the DA by giving it a rub or two in the tub, and then put it on the backing plate. Use a regular applicator and prime it a bit more than you usually would, and for want of a better word, "slap" it onto the panel, then use the DA to work it in, spread it out evenly.
    Or you could go down the bare hands application route :p
    Skiop onto about 5 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

@Curran- How do you rate the Collinite 476s as against AG EGP? Wax vs Sealant? I'm liking the reviews of collie's durability which I would be leaning more towards.

It would be used purely with AG SRP(old formula :()

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Curran wrote: »
    The correct workflow would be...
    Machine Polish
    Wash down the car to remove oils from the polish
    Glaze - if you choose it
    LSP (Last Stage Protection - Sealant or Wax, sealant 1st if doing both)

Yes, glaze, sealant and wax, can all be applied with a soft pad on a DA, but to be honest its nearly more hassle than its worth.

Can I ask if the same methodology can be applied to rotary?

• Advertisement

NickDunne wrote: »
    @Curran- How do you rate the Collinite 476s as against AG EGP? Wax vs Sealant? I'm liking the reviews of collie's durability which I would be leaning more towards.

It would be used purely with AG SRP(old formula :()

Collinite wins that match the same way mike tyson would win a boxing match against justin bieber ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

Convincingly :P

The collinite is far more durable. It lasts for ages and still beads the water flawlessly on my yolk.

Hal1 wrote: »
    The collinite is far more durable. It lasts for ages and still beads the water flawlessly on my yolk.

did you wax you'r egg? :pac:

Hal1 wrote: »

Yolk =
    Raw_egg.jpg

Emmm, no I didn't wax an egg yolk good sir. It was actually a car. Ever hear of pic resize hah.

Actually, how do people feel about using SRP, EGP and 476 in that order.

I have them all in the garage and was planning to do the Volvo by hand until I can spring for a DA (which may be some time as I'm breaking the bank on a full leather interior tomorrow!)

That's what I used and exactly in that order. After reading lots of reviews on various products. The SRP is the main one to use for a deep glossy finish.

I used to use the SRP on my CRX, so I have half a bottle in the garage. The EGP gave it a bit more depth and good protection, but I'm wondering if it will add anything if I'm going to put a couple of layers of Colly on top.

• Advertisement
Advertisement