Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

If it is chrome id try #414**/422**/429** Cleaning /Polishing wheels with #421 polishing compound.

9WGbPpY.jpg

Start very lightly and work up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Not today but over a couple of days this week

Did a wheels off cleanup while changing the badges,

Used

Surfex HD for wheel arches

Collinite 845 on the calpiers

Before

R0019578_zpsf71ec8fe.jpg

R0019586_zpsdc123fe8.jpg

After

IMG_20140311_122154_zpsb76ff568.jpg

IMG_20140311_122151_zpscf553488.jpg

IMG_20140311_122147_zps0be6264a.jpg

Wheels/Tyres

Products used

Surfex HD to clean tyres

Orchard autocare Wheel Cleanse on alloys

Tardis

Chemical Guys Wheel seal topped with 2 coats of Collinite 845 on the wheels

Wolfs Chemicals Blacout on the tyres

Wheel before

R0019590_zps91e723df.jpg

R0019589_zps4eebb9d8.jpg

R0019579_zpsa8571623.jpg

After

IMG_20140311_120340_zpsf3245787.jpg

IMG_20140311_120355_zps38377dca.jpg

IMG_20140311_121643_zpsb829b1df.jpg

IMG_20140311_121828_zps18764997.jpg

IMG_20140311_121832_zpscb5b2329.jpg

IMG_20140311_131156_zpsd05d14bd.jpg

IMG_20140311_122103_zps5b82204c.jpg

IMG_20140311_122107_zps85f15c46.jpg

Paintwork

Products used

Washed with a solution of Mr.Pink and surfex HD

Clayed with Megs claybar and Demon shine as a lube

Washed again with solution of Surfex HD and dried

Two coats of Britemax Extreme Elements applied 2 hours apart.

Windows cleaned with Orchard Autocare window cleaner.

Before

IMG_20140312_115127_zpsf08bb39d.jpg

IMG_20140312_115113_zpsff117210.jpg

IMG_20140312_115102_zps13e07cd1.jpg

IMG_20140312_115050_zps87cbe77f.jpg

After

R0019611_zps0c3818ad.jpg

R0019610_zps9c135287.jpg

IMG_20140312_162842_zpsdb13f23a.jpg

IMG_20140312_162815_zpsf9c2e151.jpg

R0019608_zpsb1207cd0.jpg

R0019610_zps9c135287.jpg

R0019619_zpsdda088f4.jpg

R0019639_zps59957dde.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Great work Vectra!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Any tips on how to identify which pads are which for use with a machine polisher?

I bought the kit second hand last summer, came with a few pads, mostly unused. There's no markings or labelling that I can see.

Used it last summer aand once since, have used the mezerna Polish and variety of pads but not really getting the worst of the swirls out.

Want to have another go soon but not sure which pads are the most abrasive ones...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Here is the ultimate guide to the Chemical Guys Hex Logic pads...

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=284956

You must also remember to be patient. Everyone thinks that they can just get the machine, pads etc. and have the job done in no time. It's not like that at all hence why using a D/A is safe for beginners.

Thanks.

No, I don't expect miracles.

When I do a big job on the car it is in the order of 10 hours or more (just exterior).

I have the DA polisher and, as I say , swirls just not coming out.

None of the pads looks like those ones you linked to.

Pads are like this one. This one was originally orange in colour..

The car does turn out pretty well, but some very small swirl marks do remain.

Have tried the most intensive of the 3 mezerna polishes that came with the DA machine, no joy.

• Advertisement

That is some quality detailing MetzgerMeister :)

That is some quality detailing MetzgerMeister :)

Wha????? :confused:

Wha????? :confused:

I ment to say vectra oops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Pads are like this one. This one was originally orange in colour..

That looks like the Lake Country Pads

lakecoutnryccs600.jpg

Obviously with the colour it is now in the picture, its hard to say if you've got a Jeweling Pad or a Light Cutting Pad.

On another note, I dont know if the prep work you did is bad, and that is dirt transfer to the pad or colour transfer from the paint. Did you try to wash them out?

Dust!

Was just looking at the car and could see the dust on the car, pure annoying!

Do you just wipe it off or use some detailing spray to get rid or wash car again or do nothing?

If it were me; and its just very light dust sitting on the car....snowfoam with a very mild mixture, rinse and pat dry with a microfiber towel.

If it were me, I'd just leave it be. It's going to happen no matter how much you wash it so just leave it build up and wash it next week some time. I used do what you're thinking of though, washing the car just because it was dusty but it's a fool's game. Unless you cover the car or keep it indoors 24/7 it's pointless.

I've just learned to wash the car on a Saturday and not give a fook what dirt gets on it because I'm going to be washing it again the following Saturday anyway.

Yeah will have to leave it as I won't get around to washing it. :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

The cleaner the car, the easier it is to spot the tiniest bit of dirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

I was out cleaning the car today and I was wondering if I'm the only eejit who has a touch-up bottle of silver paint to make the balance weights the same colour as the alloys.

Am I alone on my own planet? :D

• Advertisement

I would wash it.
    People around here know how I keep my car and they have this Fcuking habit of rubbing their hands across the bonnet saying" Jaysus shes dirty, You are slipping up"

Drive me nuts.

^^^ A dig in the head usually puts a stop to those idiots! ;)

vectra wrote: »
    I would wash it.
    People around here know how I keep my car and they have this Fcuking habit of rubbing their hands across the bonnet saying" Jaysus shes dirty, You are slipping up"

Drive me nuts.

This drives me insane too! And if you say anything to them they look at you as though you have 2.5 million knobs superglued to your forehead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Cleaned half of dublin off the car today :pac:

2j4ub9j.jpg

15wkw3a.jpg

No more than two seconds after taking this and this happens

119mjaa.jpg

Typical! :pac:

Jaysus, this thread is fairly ticking along. People taking advantage of the good weather?

Still waiting to get my hands on a yellow hex-pad and getting stuck into the car before I beat it to death. At the moment it's absolutely littered in muck and dirt of every type. I sometimes wonder if I'm a food for not having front mudguards on there (don't think they'll fit with the side bars, but the lower sides never take too long to get dirty).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I've been flat out at the new wheels today. The paint work is in sh1te on it ( covered in rust spots and heavy scratches) but I'm using it to see what is possible with the DA. I'm learning a lot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    I've been flat out at the new wheels today. The paint work is in sh1te on it ( covered in rust spots and heavy scratches) but I'm using it to see what is possible with the DA. I'm learning a lot :)

Will the DA work on them?

I've a set bought but yet to pick up that are scratched and scuffed! I've been you tubing sanding and spraying to restore them... Never thought the DA might help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    Will the DA work on them?

I've a set bought but yet to pick up that are scratched and scuffed! I've been you tubing sanding and spraying to restore them... Never thought the DA might help!

Whoops. Very misleading post by me there! By new wheels I meant the new car :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Whoops. Very misleading post by me there! By new wheels I meant the new car :O

That cleared that up! Best of luck with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Got a decent enough finish today on the passat with some Auto Glym super resin polish but I'm still not happy as up close some imperfections are still visible . Any suggestions ???

Colash wrote: »
    Got a decent enough finish today on the passat with some Auto Glym super resin polish but I'm still not happy as up close some imperfections are still visible . Any suggestions ???

First suggestion is that you should seal it with Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection or else it will wash out.

Imperfections will always be there...the only way to remove them is machine polishing. The AG SRP is hiding defects but more will return as it wears away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Curran wrote: »
    First suggestion is that you should seal it with Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection or else it will wash out.

Imperfections will always be there...the only way to remove them is machine polishing. The AG SRP is hiding defects but more will return as it wears away.
    The AG SRP washes out very easily . I must pick up some extra gloss protection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Haven't been on this thread in a few days, McLove, the chrome on the Mondy is only plastic dipped. Reading on the Ford forums, they suggest WD40 of all things, to spruce up the chrome!

WD40 how would that remove the etching, id say it would only make it shiny for a very short while.

WD40 how would that remove the etching, id say it would only make it shiny for a very short while.

When these type of trims are dry, they show the oxidation at its worst. I'd say the WD40 keeps it lubricated for a while and this removes the oxidation look but after a while it will just come back. Quite like putting SRP on a car covered in swirls, it's a temporary fix to a permanent problem whereas polishing with a dremel is in my experience, the actual fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Just finished my efforts now. Lost the light. Went nearly the whole 9 yards on my car. After day 1 the missus calls me to tell me she has put 3 scratches in her new focus. Nightmare. Had to put my car on the sideline while I tried to correct the scratches on hers. Queue a first attempt at wet sanding. Il post pics tomorrow. Turned out well. Happy enough with it. even though as i applied the touch up paint it started to rain, had to sit out in the pissing rain with an umbrella to protect the freshly applied paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

Colash wrote: »

That's a fine shine you got there.

No suggestions. From that angle it looks impressive

Gave the tyres a good hiding today with Chemical Guy's APC (Apple something-or-other i think it's called) and a rough upholstery brush. Scrubbed them. The amount of dirt and muck that came off was a real eye-opener. Applied some glitz afterwards and (finally!) seem to be getting shiny tyres. At long last.

I also 2BM'ed the car after a decent snow foaming. I went a bit overboard with the snow foam and put foam in the lance to near the halfway mark on the bottle. Aiming for the 'shaving foam' thickness that has evaded me for so long. I got close to it but not quite as much as I would have liked. I now no longer believe any video that's getting 'shaving foam' thickness without using a near-full lance bottle just full of snow foam solution (which i actually want to try out sometime, but I'm worried I might block up the lance by not diluting the foam at all?)

EE6536DC87364D279E3AB2307839F147-0000333410-0003520633-01024L-E3750E8590A54DBE9209156EBD5D3348.jpg

4C50E8C392574751A5694C517EA10BAC-0000333410-0003520634-00800L-B081AFF322F243F3906C0729CF3F96FC.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Didn't get the mixture right! Too much uisce:)

75DABA77-0808-42D3-B800-9B9107E9EEF7_zps4pbb7a05.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Not done by me but by Wheel Wizards. I just sealed them with some GTechniq C5.

Before
    967ffadd174c44da5b2d3481283c5593_zpsbaf9d939.jpg
    95a2ffd95fe5a0523b52e378f548230b_zps2bb60bc7.jpg

And After.
    9c48a2b6ec784a74543981b4c4ea9aac_zpsacf7001d.jpg
    5d2eae2784554ebcf4d9636d682f16ce_zps8798c012.jpg
    7155df2573691699e9225207dab9b013_zps44c8d78c.jpg

By the time I had finished up on my car, i was really just worried about getting my fiancees car sorted so her is the single pic i took of my car and the process of cleaning.

Sprayed with TFR.
    Powerhosed.
    Snowfoamed. (Demonfoam...useless)
    Washed with mitt.
    Powerhosed.
    Dried.
    De Tarred. AG Tar Remover
    Powerhosed.
    Drip Dried.
    Clayed. Turtle Wax Clay
    Snowfoamed.
    Powerhosed.
    Dried.
    Masked.
    Polished. AG SRP
    2 Coats of AG EGP

The Alloys were done with Wonder wheels and tyres dressed with Meguires Endurance. Getting a new front bumper next month so didnt bother touching it up...which was my original plan.

They look superb!! Can't wait to get my own done now :D

3 Scratches in 1 weekend. She will never live this down.

Il try do this before after for each one. From front to back. And a little bonus pic of me protecting the paint from the rain with an umbrella.

Im happy with how they turned out. Il have to go at the front one again next week. Could be a lot better but didnt have the time.

Sorry, I was talking to thecomedian about his alloy refurb :o

Curran wrote: »
    That looks like the Lake Country Pads

lakecoutnryccs600.jpg

Obviously with the colour it is now in the picture, its hard to say if you've got a Jeweling Pad or a Light Cutting Pad.

On another note, I dont know if the prep work you did is bad, and that is dirt transfer to the pad or colour transfer from the paint. Did you try to wash them out?

That's very helpful, thanks.

I suspect it was a light cutting pad that I had.

The prep work I did was good. Good wash (not the foam stuff you guys use, but good wash), de tar etc, clay the car.

The reason the pad is blue, I'm embarrassed to say, is that I tried to use the polishing machine down low to wax the car. That blue is one of the dodo hard waxes. Obviously a cutting pad wouldn't be ideal for applying a way! You live and learn. I soaked the pads and washed them in the washing machine but the blue never came out.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

IK09 wrote: »
    3 Scratches in 1 weekend. She will never live this down.

Il try do this before after for each one. From front to back. And a little bonus pic of me protecting the paint from the rain with an umbrella.

Good work there IK09!

What brand was the touch up kit that you used?

Good work there IK09!

What brand was the touch up kit that you used?

I kinda went through the full motions with the back and middle scratches. First I just used some t-cut for Black paint, just to see if it would make a difference. It did. It removed a lot of the white around the scratches. After that I washed the areas and used rubbing alcohol to clean the area.

Then I used the Halfords paint touch up kit.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_201037_langId_-1_categoryId_212418

I used a tooth pick to apply it. After I had applied it it started to rain, so out with the umbrella. Once it stopped, i got the heat gun out to try and force it to dry. That worked really well, just used it at a distance and in maybe 30 second blasts.

Once the paint had dried, i wet sanded paint with 2500 grit halfords brand sandpaper. I then re-appied a small amount of t-cut, to try get the wetsanding marks out. I used polish after that (AG SRP).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

They look superb!! Can't wait to get my own done now :D
    Thanks Dave.
    I dropped them in on the Tuesday and got them back Friday afternoon. I was advised just to wash them with soapy water.
    I really happy with the colour also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement