Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭CNTRLR

if you are looking for some video's on youtube, look for junkman, he has done a fairly good series about detailing cars, but it can be a bit longwinded and the videos do tend to go on and on and over the same topic a few times, but for a complete beginner it is a very easy video series to start off with..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭CNTRLR

Can one of you cleaning nerds suggest a proper decent tyre polish that makes the tyres as black as coal? I'm sick of having the car jet black and the tyres just meh. I clean them with APC first and then use that Simoniz :confused: stuff and the Aldi back to black stuff, lets just not talk about that one... So any suggestions, and linkys too, pwease :D

first off don't use anything that is designed for trim on tyres, it simply will not grip and will spray all back along the car,
    i use the meguiars endurance tyre gel, it works fine for me as i wash the car every week and just re-apply the stuff every week.
    However as with any product the area needs to be clean first, so even though you use an apc on it it may not be clean, give it a scrub with a cloth and some apc, then rinse with some clean water, then for me i use 1 coat of megs using a tyre applicator, then about 10-15 mins later the excess is wiped off using a damp cloth, about half an hour after that i put on a second coat but with very little get on the applicator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Am I only able get Meguiar's #105 off CleanYourCar.co.uk? :(

I just realised I've used so much of it on other cars and re-doing my bonnet over and over that I probably don't have enough left to do my own feckin' car :(

(plan is to use that polish as it's so aggressive, and then use the AutoGlym stuff from then on). I don't think My Chemical Guys Pro Polish 3N will ever get used :o

Just get the Menzerna triplets and stop arsing around. They do the job well once you're patient.

Chimaera wrote: »
    Just get the Menzerna triplets and stop arsing around. They do the job well once you're patient.

Get the what now?! :confused:

And to be fair, M105 has been doing a great job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Can one of you cleaning nerds suggest a proper decent tyre polish that makes the tyres as black as coal? I'm sick of having the car jet black and the tyres just meh. I clean them with APC first and then use that Simoniz :confused: stuff and the Aldi back to black stuff, lets just not talk about that one... So any suggestions, and linkys too, pwease :D

AutoGlym Instant Tyre Dressing. Spray onto wet or dry tyres, leave it to dry, job done. Lasts ages as well:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

1)
    Give the tyres a good scrub with a solution of APC or I find better still a solution of Surfex HD,
    Repeat if you have not done this before.
    Allow them to dry
    Apply a coat of Wolfs Blackout.
    Great stuff,
    Especially after next wash and the following washes for several weeks.

Get the what now?! :confused:

And to be fair, M105 has been doing a great job.

This: http://www.cleancar.ie/menzerna250mlpolishpack.html

Three staged compounds to go from bad swirling to glossy. Works very well with the Hexlogic pads too - I don't honestly see how you can be running into problems with them when most people get great results using them.

vectra wrote: »
    1)

That's a great 1-step programme :P

Chimaera wrote: »
    This: http://www.cleancar.ie/menzerna250mlpolishpack.html

Three staged compounds to go from bad swirling to glossy. Works very well with the Hexlogic pads too - I don't honestly see how you can be running into problems with them when most people get great results using them.

Ah, i think my problems were a lot to do with inexperience and caking polish on the pad and car. Doing the Xsara, i held off on the amount of polish I was using, and it came out great. I realised I'd been putting FAR too much on the Rav.

That said, I do like the look of that polish (claims to be strong enough to work out 1200 grit paper?!)

Is there a more aggressive polish out there? or is 1200 as good as it gets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'm planning on polishing and waxing the Verso this weekend so I took a few hours this afternoon to prep.

I snow foamed, rinsed, tarcleansed, rinsed, TBM with Megs Hyperwash, rinsed.

You know that feeling where you think your car is super clean but you decide to dig out the claybar anyway...

977C80FF-709E-4653-9E60-CA02011924E6_zpsc3mszlbi.jpg

...apparently it wasn't very clean after all!

It is now though:

429F71DC-9BE9-42CC-8D9F-D309D3F9B4A3_zpsd0cnfgh0.jpg

I'm toying with the idea of breaking out the SRP this evening.

Edit: +1 layer of SRP :)

9C0E689F-2D6A-4D15-AE2F-6A6972A5853E_zps6j2ximcl.jpg

• Advertisement

That's a great 1-step programme :P

I forgot to continue :D

2)
    Stand back and admire your good work :)

Anyone want to make some decent money cleaning cars? Job advertised on FAS where you can clean cars all day.

Woops, sorry, did I say money? I meant you'd work for free, of course. But think of the experience you'd get using a "high pressure hose"!

Scumbags.

http://jobseeker.fas.ie/Default.aspx?q=B+fomdowzS8kaDnSlUDk1zaMUPiFEeNrNWjviinu490thmC2C0u+DA7a0qkDLMzUsb2EvHI3UO3QkT5sE2VgkSaV/mR/O+L28TlnwC8M1IwbkzCIXBHE6p4ZpfeoO1K0HJT5wJ6a1kIDDEyylscAfr72NShFqc/gGukhWhMVgYvHKE/WEuPDoZMAmkEI3IL7YmNrSdJVj72JzxLTg3VGBAVrU+5CzMZSRRywKz04B/OByk6p3yNUaB2feazp0ITimKsEwo8m2yTP9qNcmNFNWhPt4GCCKtsczXfe87HoZF8IH+JgbJjKzV52ihVwdATbctuwWvEVV0LpiEa/kZ7+zWPNuFT93kfX+aMVB3FfKQTxXhkm1kfMZ+UVdoMlFkduKg4s4vfReFo4RltOCRuV87QeaOPf+auAjTbHNNSOW0yWI1FV+SiTIApOOG4AWKZLE1kEKq4ju2sFqTA9/6egFctb/CtCSvUD

The intern will gain practical experience in car valeting and general operative duties.

Using high-pressure hoses to clean vehicles; cleaning windows, wheels, door handles and mirrors; vacuuming and shampooing upholstery and carpets; waxing and polishing surfaces; applying gels and other finishes to bumpers and trims; cleaning the frame and wheel arches.

This Internship will provide an individual with an opportunity to put into practice the skills they have learned during prior training or education in a workplace setting. This role will enhance these skills, while providing an understanding of the workplace environment and allow the Intern to benefit from a mentor or supervisors experience and advice.

The Host Organisation will provide practical tasks to enable the individual to apply the particular skills that they wish to learn or enhance and also the opportunity to obtain wider product or service knowledge and establish networks for future employment.

That's Doran Motors in Drogheda.

Drogheda Car Sales Ltd
    North Road
    Drogheda
    Co Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Jesus. Are people actually mad enough to do these type of internships. €50 for 40 hours dirty work. From a thread on motors lads fitting tyres generally only get paid minimum wage so it's not like you'll have prospects from it. I'd imagine those valet places pay the same and then there's the chance of tips at least for the car washes.

Jesus. Are people actually mad enough to do these type of internships. €50 for 40 hours dirty work. From a thread on motors lads fitting tyres generally only get paid minimum wage so it's not like you'll have prospects from it. I'd imagine those valet places pay the same and then there's the chance of tips at least for the car washes.

Chance of tips from some car washes, but you wouldn't get a tip from Doran Motors.

From what I see, that'd be the kind of place doing full valets etc. and you'd book the car in in advance and pay at the counter. So the lads that are actually doing the cleaning wouldn't see the money at all.

For the like of MAC, you pay the lads directly, but there's one of them usually assigned to taking the money and giving change. Im sure if you did the internship, you'd never know if the person paying, gave a tip or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Just for the information of the population here, this is how wet-sanding is done properly...

1974153_442782492522692_1942244841422720136_o.jpg

• Advertisement

Quick one. I'm presuming yes but will Autoglym tar remover strip protection from a car?

I haven't used AG tar remover, but if it smells like solvent then it's probably not LSP safe.

The best advice I got for tar remover is to use a cotton bud and apply directly to the tar spots. This way you'll minimise contact with your lsp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Quick one. I'm presuming yes but will Autoglym tar remover strip protection from a car?

I used that AG tar remover to do exactly that. It worked out very well and only needed a small amount on a microfibre.

I applied it to one panel at a time as it would be difficult to remove if left on for longer. I didn't let it dwell for too long as it's fairly strong and was unsure what it might do to the clear coat. I left it on for 2 to 3 minutes tops.

The tar can be seen breaking down on the panels. If it's really tarred badly then you may have to apply it a second time.

I then gave the car a good rinse with power washer before starting the claying process.

That should take about 30 - 40 minutes, well that's what it took me to do it as I took my time to make sure it was done right. It also makes it easier to do the claying stage as there will be less containments on the surface.

Moar SRP:

DC3F838B-2D99-4806-8D15-878748B1E15F_zpszsgtxaaa.jpg

Excuse the fading light.

I also claybared my windscreen. Amazed at the amount of crap that came off it.

EGP tomorrow. And maybe Saturday.

stimpson wrote: »
    I also claybared my windscreen.

Never thought of that before :eek:

• Advertisement

Never thought of that before :eek:

I got new wipers and they still smear a bit. I don't have OCD but it's one thing that annoys me. I figured a bit of a clay can't do any harm. I'll report back of it worked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I've done it and will do it again. The results speak for themselves. A bit of AG glass polish after as it highlights the rest of the effort spent washing the bodywork.

I clay all my windows... Doesn't everyone..?

I've always clayed my windows!

I clay the headlights as well, come to think of it..!

Hal1 wrote: »
    I've done it and will do it again. The results speak for themselves. A bit of AG glass polish after as it highlights the rest of the effort spent washing the bodywork.

Streaking on the windows is non existent. The only problem is this line of glare that followed the sun around my windscreen this morning:

A4B02910-BD0C-492B-8D0A-4230A9AA20FB_zps3f9nihuv.jpg

So I dropped into Halfords on the way to work and got some AG glass polish. And some AG fast glass. And Megs gold class QD for some reason. Oops.

Fast glass seemed to sort the worst of it and I'll get to work with the polish this evening.

BOGOF on RainX at Helfrauds at the mo..!

BOGOF on RainX at Helfrauds at the mo..!

And 3 for 2.

So 6 for 2 :)

I'd always clay the windows when I'm doing the rest of the car. Likewise the lights. Last time around, I gave the headlamps a rub with the DA polisher too and some Farecla G3 to remove the scuffing from them.

On the windscreen, that hazing/glare is due to scratches on the glass from the wipers passing over and back carrying grit and grime with them. I picked up some cerium oxide compound a while back and I'm hoping to have a go at mine over the weekend with it to remove them. Cerium oxide is a special compound for polishing glass, since it's a lot harder than paint. You also need a felt pad to use it. That done, I've got some Gtechniq G1 to on there. I'll get some pics as I'm doing it.

And 3 for 2.

So 6 for 2 :)

Confused now.
    Should that be 6 for 3 or 6 for 4 ? :confused:

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    Confused now.
    Should that be 6 for 3 or 6 for 4 ? :confused:

6 for 4 = 3 for 2

Buy 2 get 3, each of those 3 should get one free? I think...

Look, KKV is going to buy them all up in a 100 mile radius, so it doesn't really matter.

Woops, sorry, did I say money? I meant you'd work for free, of course. But think of the experience you'd get using a "high pressure hose"!

I brought this to the attention of the local Current Affairs show on ye olde radio. They're getting in touch with the two companies to see if they'll discuss this with me on air.

I doubt they'd agree to go on radio and make a show of themselves in a situation wherein they just can't win, but I'm praying they will. I'd love for it to go ahead!

:D

6 for 4 = 3 for 2

Buy 2 get 3, each of those 3 should get one free? I think...

Look, KKV is going to buy them all up in a 100 mile radius, so it doesn't really matter.

I seen them on the shelves in my Halfords, but never really heard of them so didn't pass any remarks. In Drogheda and Cavan they were displayed away from the 3 for 2 stuff, so I'm not sure if they actually qualify for that promotion, too?

I think they might be considered maintenance rather than cleaning gear. Stand to be corrected though. Would like a good rain repellant product to be honest, would it be worth picking them up? (Im too broke to buy them all, don't worry! :o )

I seen them on the shelves in my Halfords, but never really heard of them so didn't pass any remarks. In Drogheda and Cavan they were displayed away from the 3 for 2 stuff, so I'm not sure if they actually qualify for that promotion, too?

I think they might be considered maintenance rather than cleaning gear. Stand to be corrected though. Would like a good rain repellant product to be honest, would it be worth picking them up? (Im too broke to buy them all, don't worry! :o )

I have a bottle that is donkeys years old that I still use. It's good - needs to be reapplied every 6-8 weeks. I don't use it on the windscreen though as it annoys me. Once I finish the bottle I'll be looking at Gtechnique C1 or something.

I got two spray bottles of RainX, paid for one.
    Also got two large RedX, paid for one.
    Its just the cleaning gear that's 3 for 2, get the cheapest one free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I started using Gtechniq G5 and immediately threw out my RainX bottles. Easy on, same result but lasts way longer.

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    I started using Gtechniq G5 and immediately threw out my RainX bottles. Easy on, same result but lasts way longer.

Any wiper shudder in town with G5 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Washed , clayed , Super Resin Polished and Extra Gloss Protected my integra today , no pics as i wanted to leave the EGP on for as long as possible and was dark before i knew it !!! will get pics in the morning , cant fault the autoglym products one bit :)

I clayed the car yesterday and the clay had 3 tar spots when finished and that was all I got. I was kind of disappointed but happy all the same!

I then applied a delicious coat of Collinite 845 and it's like a coat of oil on the car it's so shiny!!

• Advertisement

I think the whole detailing community will be converted to 845 before long LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

I can vouch for it too it's great stuff!

I did a full deep clean and finished with a later of 845, just one layer. Would I have been best off putting 2-3,layers on?

Mine's better though because it's on top of EXO :P

BillJ wrote: »
    I can vouch for it too it's great stuff!

I did a full deep clean and finished with a later of 845, just one layer. Would I have been best off putting 2-3,layers on?

I would always put on 2 coats in case patches would be missed on first coat.
    Mine's better though because it's on top of EXO :P

I though Exo was this super duper stuff that looks after itself?
    You are not trying to tell us that you need good old 845 to mind it LOL :D

EXO is super duper stuff but I missed applying wax :D

EXO is super duper stuff but I missed applying wax :D

As you do :P

• Advertisement

Its a love/hate thing. I hate polishing, and waxing all those spokes, but I love the finished result :)

SRP followed with a coating of AG HiDef

Must get the kerb scuffs sorted (not my doing, I hasten to add)

DSCF0475_zps0bca46ff.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

^ George, I hate to break it to you - but I think your garage might be on fire!

Just a bit of artistic processing, is all.....LOL

I'd been putting it off for ages and ages. The ultimate 'long finger' job, but I finally machine polished the Rav4. I don't really have any photos of it's before and afters, because I just wanted it done and I knew if i started messing with the camera, tripod, etc. i'd never finish, so apologies for lack of pictures.

A lot of the light swirls came out, but a lot of marks and scratches remain. It would seem my best offence on these is to just keep the car polished and waxed on a more-than-regular basis. Seems to be the only way, going forward, that I can keep my sanity and not nit pick too much.

My chemical guys microfiber pad got so much of a work out that it's been reduced to a hand applicator after I nearly burned a hole in it.

3362A1FDF9D1412DAB8BD1613D5CDB37-0000333410-0003542478-00640L-BF0012E19B4249BBBAF665E5FCA8FE6F.jpg

I used Meguiar's Ultimate Cut Compound to polish, and I literally ran out just at the end. I had enough in the bottle that I polished the bonnet twice just to use it up, but there was nothing left then (which suited me grand). I then used Pete's 53 as a wax to finish it off. Gave the bonnet two coats for the sake of it.

I know the photos are craptactular, but i didnt have the proper camera on me, so was using the phone and it was dark enough by this stage, so... :/

EE20F3BA27F9421299DCB01CC8D93406-0000333410-0003542477-01024L-0261EA0E1D434CB5A03F9E863B22F63B.jpg

70167129D78A45A09F524006E83AA2A5-0000333410-0003542476-01024L-1990FE4CCE9F44C4B1CAE7AAA9204EC0.jpg

It looks pretty average in the photos, I know, but I have to say, although I wish i'd gotten more of the scratches out of the paintwork, when you actually stand looking at it, it's a very deep black, and you can't really see any defects until you're within around 2-3 feet (which I can certainly live with!) (although that said, I've not seen it outside in daylight just yet, so.. my opinion could be very different tomorrow).

Tomorrow I plan to do the trim, glass, wheels and tyres. Trim and glass are fairly self explanatory, but does anyone have any advice for the wheels/tyres?

I aim to take one wheel off at a time (spare wheel going last, as it's the cleanest), and spending time actually doing whatever I can to make it look as good as it can (on both sides). I was wondering if anyone could advise on a way of doing things to make life easier? My wheels are always relatively nice looking, but they never 'pop' like a lot of the wheels that appear on here.

My (assumed) plan was:

1) Iron cleansed and left to sit for 5 minutes. Agitated and washed off with a 2BM method and clean wash mitt (rather than pressure washing?).
    2) Dry the wheel
    3) Repeat the above with Tar Cleanse.
    4) Repeat again with a wheel cleaner (probably not let it sit for so long. Thinking of OAC's Wheel Cleanse or Wonder Wheels Alloy Cleaner).
    5) Polish by hand with applicator pad and microfiber cloth (Chemical Guys Pro Polish 3N?) - Repeat twice for the craic?
    6) Wax by hand
    7) Repeat four more times with the other wheels

(guessing the tyres are obviously APC and Scrubbing brush, rinsed with water regularly, dried off and doused in tyre shine repeatedly?).

Anyone care to comment on that? Am I fooling myself?

EDIT: I plan to do the wheel wells thoroughly too (when each wheel comes off). APC, microfibre, bumper and trim to blacken and that's them I assume?)

EDIT 2: I also plan to buy mudguards!! :mad:

Just as a quick one on the wheels I usually use the wheel cleaner first which gets rid of the majority of the dirt etc. and then use tar and iron. I find the power of the iron products gets exaggerated a lot when people spray it onto dirty wheels and theres loads of purple dripping off which is generally stuff that the standard wheel cleaner would remove anyway.

Did a bit of a job on my own at the weekend following the above (although I didn't take them off)

• Advertisement
Advertisement