Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Yeah, I know in theory:

A) don't do any washing/detailing in direct sunlight
    B) don't let water / etc dry & bake in

Unfortunately, there's no shade at my house, and with the direction the sun is moving there isn't going to be any time today either. Not much choice on A

Regards B, it wasn't even as if I was leaving it there drying in. Panels were drying in WHILE I was claying, and I was only doing 1 panel at a time. It's actually easier to leave it and tackle it after IMO (as long as you don't leave it all day in direct sunlight to bake on - be quick about sorting it). Which is what I did

21QAz64.jpg

Mix isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol) 1:1 with water, and throw it in a spray bottle. As for how much - 500ml 1:1 did me for the entire car, applying it liberally. That's 250ml IPA + 250ml water.

Mist it on in very small sections at a time, and dry instantly.

Result? Result:

PgY7vOd.jpg

6ALqflx.jpg

sOp1IUt.jpg

You can now see the paintwork in all it's glory. IPA will have removed any remaining contaminants from the water drying, any fillers from polish, and any remaining protection if there was any.

Which also means you can see a glimpse of the metallic in the sapphire black. It's glorious when you see it properly :)

4g7BKlk.jpg

Shame about the amount of paint chips / defects / etc....

There's still a few stubborn places from old water marks that have been there for, quite possibly years (before I got the car). I'll give it a go with Megs scratch-X and see if working it by hand is enough to get rid of it.

After some scratch-x

nRsNCp6.jpg

ieSC13b.jpg

In fairness, while it is good for some water marks and what not, it's not a scratch-x (:pac:) on a proper DA polisher. Best I can do for now, though, so crack on.

I've taken a fancy to the matte look:

MZdBVog.jpg

ua26Knv.jpg

RB1kEAk.jpg

JRGNF6E.jpg

Or...not :D
    CGoDe5e.jpg

X1x1X1N.jpg

SRP done and (thankfully not too dusted)

Hard to see, but first coat of EGP hazed off and left for ~45 mins

EFCBxkA.jpg

WqmNob4.jpg

IWUdvap.jpg

And then buffed off

s2qGZvY.jpg

dLgI7Zn.jpg

q3uIezC.jpg

A3sQ4sX.jpg

Eii8laC.jpg

Dinner time, but I'll give it another 1-2 coats of EGP, finish it off with perfection and sort out the small dressings :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Nice reflections! Next time don't ruin it by having that giner ceann of yours visible in the reflection :D

Nice reflections! Next time don't ruin it by having that giner ceann of yours visible in the reflection :D

Bit better than the starting 'reflections' :pac:

It's getting there alright. Oh, and I didn't skip corners :p

w97CJmP.jpg

Annoying seeing all the paint damage though :(

Aaaaand... finally :pac:

I left it at 2 coats of EGP. Threw perfection on the glass and door shuts, but wasn't bothered going over the whole car with it. I will in a few weeks as a top up.

Here's some 'fantastic' iphone pics :pac:

X8dXOCa.jpg

w224Dwp.jpg

zJI0TSk.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Looks a hell of a lot better than when i saw it anyway.
    You should do the trophy next

And last but not least - Some reflections with it all finished.

L1nlk3a.jpg

chU9zsb.jpg

XA7Ptrs.jpg

By1nIju.jpg

CNGk28v.jpg

And I tried to capture the same angles from the initial pictures of the dirt...
    1zFiZY9.jpgfW7U1ez.jpg

1SjgVXa.jpg
    6B0TFLq.jpg

0fkkZqt.jpg
    UQodprm.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Lads I'll tell ye one thing, OAC Perfection is an absolutely brilliant product!

was a little sceptical about this stuff, but gave it a blast today and have to agree it's good stuff. have to see how it lasts long term now

To say the car is shining is an understatement... metallic fleck is now visible from a few feet away :D Tried to capture it, iphone and it's stupid focus range.

Kk9xTKf.jpg

aMDnile.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Looks very well - the effort was worth it....tough to beat black when its kept clean (though thats a nightmare :P)

Curran wrote: »
    Looks very well - the effort was worth it....tough to beat black when its kept clean (though thats a nightmare :P)

That's why I didn't bother for the last few months, got sick of trying to keep it clean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Gave it a good cleaning yesterday and took some photos for the 'for sale' ad, always sad photos to take.

IMG_4142.jpg
    IMG_4144.jpg
    IMG_4143.jpg
    IMG_4153.jpg
    IMG_4157.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

tossy wrote: »
    Gave it a good cleaning yesterday and took some photos for the 'for sale' ad, always sad photos to take.

h48D07D0F

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That is a lovely S3. They are on my horizon again, looks very well sorted. Any modifications apart from wheels? pm me if you want to discuss it more thanks.

Hal1 wrote: »
    That is a lovely S3. They are on my horizon again, looks very well sorted. Any modifications apart from wheels? pm me if you want to discuss it more thanks.

Forge Turbo intake pipe.
    Forge adjustable short shifter.
    Joe power stage one remap.
    Genuine CK's
    H&R spacers all round.
    R32 Steering wheel.
    ITG panel filter

The car wants for nothing.

In the last 2 years of ownership i've done the following (probably forgetting some bits)

New Fuel pump
    All Breather/vac hoses replaced.
    3 new coil packs
    2 new Xenon bulbs
    New ABS sensor front left
    New window regulator drivers side.
    2 new rear shocks.

All the work done on the car by George Dalton, oil change every 5000 miles,plus haldex servicing at proper intervals.

It also had timing belt/water pump done and a new clutch fitted just before i bought it.

The car wants for nothing.

Except petrol. ****er always wants petrol :D

Except petrol. ****er always wants petrol :D

lol I'll draw your attention to the very respectable 27mpg in the middle pic.I also draw your attention to the 171k and still running like clockwork :) It would shame S3's with 60/70k less.

IMG_41568.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Tossy, you might pop over to the chat thread pwease :D

• Advertisement

lol I'll draw your attention to the very respectable 27mpg in the middle pic.I also draw your attention to the 171k and still running like clockwork :) It would shame S3's with 60/70k less.

I'd well believe it too. Looks mint, hope I get to see it before you sell it :p

Are those (wheel) nuts or bolts or what tossy?

I'd well believe it too. Looks mint, hope I get to see it before you sell it :p

Are those (wheel) nuts or bolts or what tossy?

Bolts, the just have plastic VW bolt caps over them.

Bolts, the just have plastic VW bolt caps over them.

I assume they'd be standard (17) size? Look a hell of a lot tidier than wheel bolts. I'd be tempted to invest in a set

I assume they'd be standard (17) size? Look a hell of a lot tidier than wheel bolts. I'd be tempted to invest in a set

Yup standard size,the even do a special cap to fit over the lock nut. It really cleans up the look of the bolts.

Yup standard size,the even do a special cap to fit over the lock nut. It really cleans up the look of the bolts.

Be jayyyyysus. You wouldn't have a link to these magical things? :D

Tis the only part wheel-related I've been rather disappointed looking at is old, scummy bolts.

Your spacers should have new longer bolts

• Advertisement

Your spacers should have new longer bolts

I've 2 sets. One with extended bolts, one which is bolt on.

Either way, those caps look much better :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Tried out some of the products from 50. cal that I got from detailinghshed.

I got the retailate alloy wheel cleaner, combat neutral snowfoam and stealth last touch detailer.

Wheel cleaner is fantastic stuff, really really good.

Snowfoam was good, I may have had it diluted a bit too much so will reserve judgment. It also doubles as a shampoo, it's a decent shampoo. But not noticably different to mr. pink imo.

I dont have much experience of quick detailer, plus the panels were very hot when applying so i'll reserve judgment on that too. Seems decent though.

Below is a pic of my own car after snowfoam, shampoo, alloy wheel cleaner and QD.

owR933kl.jpg

And here are before and after washing the sisters A1 sline. No quick detailer on this.

Before:
    9KWRHLhl.jpg?1
    After:
    Vrg7cAgl.jpg?1

Before:
    T1U33Ukl.jpg
    After:
    NAAi1KSl.jpg

Before:
    cwSGMLul.jpg
    After:
    izt6HbXl.jpg

Before:
    HTwhBVVl.jpg?1
    After:
    eBannPll.jpg?1

Wasn't a big fan of a1's until I saw this one, love it!

Unusual to see a 03 pre-facelift E46. Looks very well!

Unusual to see a 03 pre-facelift E46. Looks very well!

Cheers, so hard to keep the black anyway decent as I'm sure you know. Where did you get your CF kidney grills?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Spike Witwicky

Good job Billj. Lookin forward to tryin out the 50cal stuff too. Heard good stuff about the Wheel Cleaner. Is it ph neutral?

• Advertisement

BillJ wrote: »
    Cheers, so hard to keep the black anyway decent as I'm sure you know. Where did you get your CF kidney grills?

Oh trust me, I do...

Ebay! :D I'll see if I can dig up the seller later :)

Oh trust me, I do...

Ebay! :DI'll see if I can dig up the seller later :)

Why did you kill him? Shipping rates too high? :P

Put in an order with Detailing Shed today. Expectin my DAS6 to arrive to tomorrow so DS are hooking me up with some pads n a backing plate. Cant wait to get spinning.
    Also ordered Collinite 845, OAC Perfection, OAC prewash, CG V36 & CG V38.

50cal are gonna have to wait until next month

Good job Billj. Lookin forward to tryin out the 50cal stuff too. Heard good stuff about the Wheel Cleaner. Is it ph neutral?

Yep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

neighbour has an a1 like the one above and it looks nice enough

Bunch of stuff arrived today. Big thanks to Detailing Shed and Cleancar.ie
    Das6 & C4 from Cleancar. Rest from DS
    The refresher sweet was a nice touch from Cleancar and cant thank Detailing Shed enough for the advice and service.

20140625_155411_zpsjbazf5xl.jpg

The rain put a stop to your excitement?? :P I was expecting a few pictures of test areas! :D

I did some fine car washing yesterday just before the rain started. I was expecting my C120 to show up and it did this morning. My old karcher just wasnt up to it anymore, turned the thing off and i would have to switch it off at the main because the thing had a life of its own, I'm hoping for much improved snow foaming, once i get the lance sorted

Curran wrote: »
    The rain put a stop to your excitement?? :P I was expecting a few pictures of test areas! :D

Yeah it did :(

It held off long enough today for me to apply C4 to my scuttle panel. Looks new! :D

Also applied it to my third brakelight which was gettin hazy n crappy looking. Again brand new. Applied to door pillars too. I love this stuff! though at nearly €30 a bottle....:(

Gave the bootlid a quick misting of Perfection earlier. Its good stuff alright. Definately the best QD i've used

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Car wash and waxed.

What to do after it rains and the droplets dry up and leave dirt marks?

Wipe down or give a rinse and dry?

• Advertisement

Don't bother until the rain goes away for an extended period of time. otherwise you'll be out doing it every few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Car wash and waxed.

What to do after it rains and the droplets dry up and leave dirt marks?

Wipe down or give a rinse and dry?

I use a quick detailer after the rains.

Quite the stupid question, but is there any way to tell if a car has been waxed and polished as opposed to a QD. Got the car valeted this week, and they claim they waxed and polished it, but I have my suspicions....... I can tell that it's been de-tarred anyway.

If they polished the car, the colour of the paint should have been restored. However oily products can make this appearance and once they've been washed away you are back to squre one.
    A car that has been polished reasonably well, will look shiny without anything applied on it.

To look at it might not be too obvious, but if you were to apply APC to an area to strip away any products that were applied you'll be able to say of its been polishwd. Thing is, they'll probably show you a bottle of polish and wax, All in One and they'll say you cant argue! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

You should also be able to do a 'starsky and hutch' across the bonnet effortlessly.

is there any point in using the detergent bottle that comes with the nilfisk when washing your car?

Mc Love wrote: »
    is there any point in using the detergent bottle that comes with the nilfisk when washing your car?

Na, it's shyte.

This OAC Perfection stuff is great!! Gave the car a wipe down (cos i was feelin too lazy to wash it and it was only light dust n dirt) and Perfection really did a good job. No smears or holograms either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Cars been laying up for quite some time and looked very sorry for itself, so I decided to give it a wash. Forgot to take before pics, but here's the results

2014-06-29172528_zpse33f5221.jpg

2014-06-29172606_zps6a2c14f0.jpg

Now to get it back on the road

• Advertisement

What's the story with only one spot?

Advertisement