Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I tackled my own car and the Father's one (he did give a hand).

Started with a foaming and then a 2BM wash with Autoglym

20150314_121830.jpg

Used the group wheel buy stuff.

20150314_122405.jpg

The tyre dressing was nice. It left a nice finish and wasn't as "plastic" a finish as the Autoglym tyre shine.

20150314_160023.jpg

Dried, Autoglym Rapid Detailer and Fast Glass to finish

20150314_160050.jpg

20150314_160107.jpg

20150314_160148.jpg

No I don't know why some pictures are turned. They are correct in Dropbox!

Oh Curran, you were right about the microfibre towels. The Dry me Crazy was crazy the amount of water it absorbed!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

I gave this a going over yesterday, cheated with 50cal cover up glaze followed by bilt hamber finis wax which the jury is still out on. All trim and tyres treated with chemical guys new look gel.

2015-03-13%2016.57.53_zpstwmtez54.jpg

2015-03-132016.53.16_zpse8horoxn.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

Todays detail. Only 20 liters of water was used which I am delighted with.

xqPSHG7.jpg

I used a rinseless wash solution with a pre-soak.

07AMVxY.jpg

zHCwbdB.jpg

Finally I waxed it for that WoW factor.

k0qbSZk.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

ShaunieVW wrote: »

2015-03-132016.53.16_zpse8horoxn.jpg

It's a pity for this shot that the car wasn't closer to the building. You would have lost the clutter on the horizon and had a more symmetrical shot with the reflections being symmetrical. That would have made a more interesting photograph.

Oh ya, the car is reasonably clean also I guess......

Edit. All messing aside, where is that photo taken? I'm thinking you could get some very dramatic B&W photos there with an angry sky through the windows. After seeing your roof and the way it darkens the shot I'm thinking of using a dark car roof as a reflector to get some horizontal reflection shots and that building might work for a shot I have in my head to try to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Ready for the tar cleanse. The bottom half is like sand paper there's that much on it :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Get yourself deeper buckets....and for the love of God...is that a mitt on the stones?? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭Darraghmh91.

Whoops mitt on the stones ha big big no no there

Curran wrote: »
    Get yourself deeper buckets....and for the love of God...is that a mitt on the stones?? :(

The mit on the stones is lidls finest microfibre mitt that ain't worth a ****. Couldn't find my incredimit one day so bought it.....I wish I hadn't bothered washing the car, the damage it done. So when I saw it in my bucket this afternoon I fecked in on the ground to remind myself to never go near the thing again.

If you look closely, the incremit is in the wash bucket.
    Which is full of clean water after washing the filthy yoke. The microfibres are from Amazon, they're for cleaning the wheel arches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Ready for the tar cleanse. The bottom half is like sand paper there's that much on it :eek:

Nice gaff.......:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

The mit on the stones is lidls finest microfibre mitt that ain't worth a ****. Couldn't find my incredimit one day so bought it.....I wish I hadn't bothered washing the car, the damage it done. So when I saw it in my bucket this afternoon I fecked in on the ground to remind myself to never go near the thing again.

Using it for few months, is the paint f***** ? :(

ianobrien wrote: »
    It's a pity for this shot that the car wasn't closer to the building. You would have lost the clutter on the horizon and had a more symmetrical shot with the reflections being symmetrical. That would have made a more interesting photograph.

Oh ya, the car is reasonably clean also I guess......

Edit. All messing aside, where is that photo taken? I'm thinking you could get some very dramatic B&W photos there with an angry sky through the windows. After seeing your roof and the way it darkens the shot I'm thinking of using a dark car roof as a reflector to get some horizontal reflection shots and that building might work for a shot I have in my head to try to do.

Only seeing this! Unfortunetly I was on the rooftop there of a car park next to that site so couldn't get closer. I was behind Harry's in kinnegad. I did a bit of messing around with that pic and came up with this. It's a nice building, pity it's left to crumple.

16628470188_d7a806cd8e.jpgUntitled by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

Here's another from a different perspective

16639339860_b43c86dd4c.jpgUntitled by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

bbari wrote: »
    Using it for few months, is the paint f***** ? :(

It's probably better than a sponge but I noticed a lot more swirl marks in the paint the day after and the wash technique was the same. I also noticed that the grit was kept at the top of the Mit and also left on the paintwork, so was getting spread around instead of trapped.
    I'm glad I have the incredimit again, completely different league of wash mit. The lidl one is now in the bin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

I'm sure increditmit is incredible, sure €23 worth mitt have to be better than a €2 one :)

I bought 3/4 of those from lidl, they are bright colour and easier to see grit on it. I try not to let the car get too dirty. Increditmit is the next on the list now :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I spent a good number of hours on the car last week.

I have a pile of Autoglym stuff that I've built up over the years through gifts etc which I'm gradually replacing with better but I have to say I do like the HD wax and the fast glass, the rest is all so so

Started off with Bilt Hamber fallout remover then onto a wash with 2bm, snowfoam lance is on the list, using Autoglym bodywork shampoo. Didn't like the shampoo if I'm honest. I used this Tar remover I got from a friend years ago, made locally in Ballyfermot, it's really good stuff but can't be got anymore.

Also covered the wheels with Bilt Hamber Auto wheel

Then clayed the car, it's a 00 Golf and I'd say it's never ever been done before.

Washed it again with 2BM, loving the Chemical Guys Chenille Wash Mitt but again the shampoo was crap

Polished using the Autoglym SRP, good filler and swirls covered temporarily at least but DA is on the list

Sealed it up with Orchard speed seal then onto the HD wax which I really like. So easy to use and with a great result

Unfortunately I made an error in my method and put the glaze on last but it's all going to be stripped anyway when I get my DA in the next couple of weeks

All the black plastic and rubber done with AG bumpercare which isn't too bad

Clayed the glass and polished with AG glass polish which was very dusty, even applied correctly so I used Fast Glass after

Plans are

Refurb the wheels
    DA the whole car
    Replace the front wing (have a matching colour one to replace the one that's suffering lacquer peel)

Can't post pics

Shockingly good work. Would take some serious commitment to do that. If someone rocked up to me with that asking to clean it, I'd tell them to feck off. No way would I have the patience or commitment to that level of work. You're some chap, man. Hat's in the air for you!

• Advertisement

So today I attacked my brothers van again. I wanted to try out some products so its the perfect guinea pig.

I started out with a wash using the 2BM.

Polished with CG 3n using hex logic hand pads, Orange then black finishing pad. Fantastic products, really happy with the polish and pads.

50cal cover up glaze

Then waxed using Meguir's Nxt gen paste wax iirc as I had it sitting around and remembered it worked well with red paint plus I didnt want to waste my decent stuff.

I then treated all the trim with CG new look gel.

Pulled off the grills, APC'd them, wash them and treated them.

We also fitted ibiza wing mirrors and modified ibiza rubber rail things to fit.

Not bad for an auld yoke

After one pass of polish

16224805244_5c7df2e466_z.jpg

This ran the full length of both panels

16846949161_d3c1c609d4_z.jpgUntitled by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

After a few passes

16846861452_ef2381245a_z.jpg by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

Treating bumper

16659789350_50db123159_z.jpgUntitled by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

Finished product

16660919149_78a307e418_z.jpgUntitled by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

16845913592_4a1e460709_z.jpgUntitled by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

16227176443_6d7d24d50d_z.jpg by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

16659822300_f66894450c_z.jpgUntitled by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

16660966079_4515063e5c_z.jpgUntitled by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

After a coat of Collinite....I don't think I've ever seen my reflection in this car before :pac:

Pft7zWM.jpg

cZFNJ37.jpg

mHNUM4e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Oh look the simpsons are on :p. Nice job on the car though.

Hal1 wrote: »
    Oh look the simpsons are on :p. Nice job on the car though.

Christ good thing there was nothing worse going on in the background Mr eagle eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Hal1 wrote:
    Oh look the simpsons are on . Nice job on the car though.

Eagle eye is right! I spent about 5 minutes trying to find where you seen them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I spent a good number of hours on the car last week.

I have a pile of Autoglym stuff that I've built up over the years through gifts etc which I'm gradually replacing with better but I have to say I do like the HD wax and the fast glass, the rest is all so so

Started off with Bilt Hamber fallout remover then onto a wash with 2bm, snowfoam lance is on the list, using Autoglym bodywork shampoo. Didn't like the shampoo if I'm honest. I used this Tar remover I got from a friend years ago, made locally in Ballyfermot, it's really good stuff but can't be got anymore.

Also covered the wheels with Bilt Hamber Auto whee

Then clayed the car, it's a 00 Golf and I'd say it's never ever been done before.

Washed it again with 2BM, loving the Chemical Guys Chenille Wash Mitt but again the shampoo was crap

Polished using the Autoglym SRP, good filler and swirls covered temporarily at least but DA is on the list

Sealed it up with Orchard speed seal then onto the HD wax which I really like. So easy to use and with a great result

Unfortunately I made an error in my method and put the glaze on last but it's all going to be stripped anyway when I get my DA in the next couple of weeks

All the black plastic and rubber done with AG bumpercare which isn't too bad

Clayed the glass and polished with AG glass polish which was very dusty, even applied correctly so I used Fast Glass after

Plans are

Refurb the wheels
    DA the whole car
    Replace the front wing (have a matching colour one to replace the one that's suffering lacquer peel)

Can't post pics

Welcome along to the Detailing forum!
    I think you need 50 posts to put up pics. Some good work there.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    Welcome along to the Detailing forum!
    I think you need 50 posts to put up pics. Some good work there.

Thanks

Looking at the car today though I wasent happy. Really need to get the DA sorted, it deserves to shine.

Previous owner was a smoker so steam cleaned the headliner and shampooed the seats. Going to get some original vw mats and do the carpet next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Realised I had't waxed the 156 in over a year.
    One go with 'Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax' and the obligatory beading shot.

156beading_zpsa9epey4o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

On my previous car, I had GTechniq G1 applied to the glass and it was great, picked up another set for my new car, and hadn't got a chance/ decent weather to apply it until today, no pics unfortunately, but I'll be sure to take a couple once there is a spot of rain( which shouldn't be too long in this country!!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

RobTheLad wrote: »
    On my previous car, I had GTechniq G1 applied to the glass and it was great, picked up another set for my new car, and hadn't got a chance/ decent weather to apply it until today, no pics unfortunately, but I'll be sure to take a couple once there is a spot of rain( which shouldn't be too long in this country!!).

My windscreen a while ago:

c661.jpg

kqhw.jpg

Autoglym super resin polish topped with Autosmart tapaz applied by DA on a medium strength pad. I love what i do :)

1-DSCF1082-001_zps2kjai9ri.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

RobTheLad wrote: »

And here's what I was greeted with this morning!

iraYOUv.jpg?2

SRP
    FbpXJ8g.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭Darraghmh91.

You seem to be using a srp latly James why is that

Good job tho to be fair
    I find srp doesn't kast long on the car at all compared to other stuff .. I use chemical guys nd find is lasts a lot longer

For that "right now" shine it's hard to beat, basically it's fast and effective..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

So I am relatively new to car detailing, but after some great advice from Curran, this is my first real effort at anything more than a wash. I just got the car, and it had been detailed (although I wouldn't have paid for the job done) when I collected it, so today it just got a foam and wash:

E82F1166BA1748FB9310764CCAAD4B71-0000362220-0003743458-00640L-84DE493F2B3F4A1A8037456F3972A4D0.jpg

E367A8219CF44A8D9BB3B25DB86B6912-0000362220-0003743459-00640L-D09B1D3345DE4D9F9C40DA5A420A35FA.jpg

F8BFF7B82977472882C708B8CF13A03C-0000362220-0003743460-00640L-1416BA295E0A4E9A965CEFE079A5EB6B.jpg

I have an AB lance and have been using Mistral Snow Foam, which is supposed to be mixed at 200:1, but at that concentrate it is useless. Even in the top pic, there was an inch of foam in the bottle and it only stayed on the car for a couple of minutes. I will try more concentrate next time, but won't waste my money on that brand again. I have a new shopping list based on Curran's advice, which I hope to order on my next payday:D

Mrs RR has a black Focus (2010) which has never been polished/waxed, so that's gonna be my test subject for claying/waxing over the Easter BH weekend. All tips and advice greatly welcomed!

The mix ratios can be a bit confusing - 200:1 is the mix ratio when the solution in the bottle meets the water from the powerhose through the lance. So its diluted in the lance bottle and again before exiting the nozzle of the lance.
    So you'll need about a half an inch to an inch of snowfoam solution in the mix bottle from any of the decent snow foams.

ratracer wrote: »
    So I am relatively new to car detailing, but after some great advice from Curran, this is my first real effort at anything more than a wash. I just got the car, and it had been detailed (although I wouldn't have paid for the job done) when I collected it

Spiney shiney

Looking to get a lance myself. Went to order on detailingshed but they are out of stock

I hate when valetors call themselves 'detailers' . Most of these 'detailers' are no more than car cleaners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Had to work at lightening pace today with that sun, no access to shade, unreal how quick it dries and you get water spots and that rainbow effect :(

myshirt wrote: »
    Had to work at lightening pace today with that sun, no access to shade, unreal how quick it dries and you get water spots and that rainbow effect :(

I keep a bottle of CG V7 to get rid of water spots after washing. Usually go over the car with that after a wash.

I have some 50cal QD... may give that a go...

Need to speak to our trusted local supplier to get drying aid help. Car is black. Two cars in fact, used some filler glaze today, taking a break now and then applying some pentawax. Man that stuff evaporates quick, working time is short.

Alright today was a disaster, I'm back in Limerick now and the water is so hard. Plus the sun beat me.

Water spots and dried rainbow soap :(

Work being done in the house so I couldn't run my hose out. So I grabbed my mitt and my two buckets and the rest of my bits and pieces then trotted off to the filling station. I must have looked a right dickhead.

Gave it a wash anyway then ran over with CG V7.I wasn't totally happy with the car given the work I did last week, how often would anybody recommend using a fallout remover?

I still can't post pics

Edited to add; In saying the above I do have 400 miles up this week

400 miles per week...perhaps once every 3 months!
    Or a biy more often, say every 4th wash (once a month) with something like Auto Wheel which has a small amount of built in fallout remover and thus removing the need for every 3 months and push it to 6 perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Gave it a wash today all that was needed to bring it up nice and shiny again after recent detail. Having the Mainz synthetic wax on it made it lot easier to clean it must be said!!
    image.jpg1_zpsotltbj78.jpg

Curran wrote: »
    400 miles per week...perhaps once every 3 months!
    Or a biy more often, say every 4th wash (once a month) with something like Auto Wheel which has a small amount of built in fallout remover and thus removing the need for every 3 months and push it to 6 perhaps.

Just seemed like a lot of crap on the car but I have been on particularly crap roads and then the m50 end to end on a bad day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Clean freaks, block your ears now! Decided I'd ask the mother how she would wash a car if I wasn't there. She hasn't washed a car in years, I'm always the one to wash the cars, even if I'm not around she knows by now to wait until I am so I can do them properly. Anyhow, her procedure. First, get a sponge or "a bit of a cloth" and wet it, rub the heavy dirt off. Then get washing up liquid, she even said washing powder :confused: and mix with water in a bucket. Get the HOUSE SWEEPING BRUSH and clean the car with it. Rinse off with the hose, and dry with a cloth. My ears bled! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry :pac:

Gavman84 wrote: »
    image.jpg1_zpsotltbj78.jpg

Get some Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer (coming soon to Detailing Shed) on the front grills and black trim!

Ya that's on the list to do alright some stage. Is it easy to use? Might be easier than spraying them!

It's easy yeah, you just apply it with a cotton pad and give it a quick rub to remove any excess afterwards.

The only pain is prepping the surface but this is 100% necessary otherwise you're just wasting your money and time. Once it's done right, it'll be that way for up to 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

@fatracer... Where are you stationed man? I see a few appliances in the background there :)

H

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Spiney shiney

Looking to get a lance myself. Went to order on detailingshed but they are out of stock

I hate when valetors call themselves 'detailers' . Most of these 'detailers' are no more than car cleaners.

LollipopJimmy DnD Detailing in Cork (I'm in no way affiliated with them) have snow foam lances in stock. Sorry Curran but a bit of competition is always good. www.dnddetailing.ie

Oh Curran received my delivery of microfiber madness towels on Friday got to use them yesterday and have to say they are the best I've used in a long while plus the bilt hammer auto wash is another great product.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

A quick wash yesterday evening after college

[IMG][/img]photo_zpsnz1yzw5v.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Get some Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer (coming soon to Detailing Shed) on the front grills and black trim!

They are actually supposed to be that colour.
    Bit poxy as black would look a good bit better.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    They are actually supposed to be that colour.
    Bit poxy as black would look a good bit better.
    Was thinking that alright but thats just the fog surrounds are grey arent they. I could still do the top and bottom grill which would look better anyway as they are faded a bit?? Or would it be a waste of c4 if grills meant to be grey!

• Advertisement
Advertisement