Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

i need to pluck up some courage to take pictures of the car outside of the house :)

Some new supplies last week so washed the car Friday evening.

1) Snowfoam with Bilt Hamber Auto Wash
    2) Handwash with Meguiars Luxurious Lambs Wool Wash Mitt - bucket with grit guard - 5ml autowash in bucket
    3) Rinse down with nilfisk
    4) Dry with Micro madness dry me crazy (best thing ever)
    5) Hoover inside
    6) Leather wiped with Dr Leather Advanced leather wipes..

Happy with the results.. car looks great still apart from a some bird attack on the back windsceen..

Next time I'll take pictures..

Thanks to curran for the supplies

I have this dustbuster over a year now and its the first one I've had that does a reasonable job on the carpets

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BLACK-DECKER-Lithium-Compact-Titanium/dp/B00IUK800O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434439069&sr=8-1&keywords=black+and+decker+dust+buster+18v

Easily as good as breaking out the house hoover..

I've yet to venture into the world of waxing or claying or polishing but I'm sure I'll get there!

Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

Liquid elements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

No sooner has it been nice and polished, and someone does this to it....

What path do I take here boys? I know the pictures aren't the clearest, but does it appear too deep to polish out? It's on the front passenger door.

abg3q.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qfdEl0I.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

I'd try machine polish it, it might take the nasty look off it, but if it's deep, it will need paint :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Touch it up with a couple of light coats of paint.
    Wet sand off excess
    Fill with a couple of coats of Lacquer,
    Wety sand again and machine polish

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭charcosull

Finally a bit of rain to check out the beading.

Image_zpszzz6jwcv.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Not a big job, but one of those jobs that makes a serious difference when done. A few months ago i noticed the headlights on the Vectra were looking, well, crap. They were faded, dirty looking and really took from the look of the car.

I made an attempt, a poor one at that, to clean them up before, but they did not turn out as good as i would have liked. Not having the right stuff i stopped with the intention of doing them again.

Roll on today and i had had enough so decided to finally tackle them. I bought 800, 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper. Got a basin of lukewarm water with plenty of fairy liquid in it. I had bought the Meguiars headlight restoration kit so got it ready along with some cloths. I taped off the body work around the side panels, bumper, etc.

I kept the sandpaper/headlight well soaked and worked each grade of sand paper in vertical then horizontal and back to vertical strokes. I continued sanding until i felt little to no resistance then moved onto the next, finer, grade. When i had it all sanded i dried the headlight extremely well. Then moved onto the Meguiars. I used a cordless drill for this, and gave it two coats/going overs. Then polished with a clean terry cloth.

Have to say i'm delighted with the results. Was not a big job at all and makes the front of the car much cleaner and fresher looking. total time from start to finish was about 45 minutes.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

I NEED you to do my car, she is not as new and shiny as that Audi but my E Class would love some of that attention to detail. I doubt I could even buy that kind of service in a vallet center.
    Boy OH Boy this car pops!
    Daytona grey on these diamond cut rims reaches legend status :eek:

16-IMG_2475-001_zpsaks3vniw.jpg

17-IMG_2472-001_zpsfn9cfhpk.jpg

18-IMG_2482-001_zpscb1ydbly.jpg

19-IMG_2471-001_zpsfs5l56gk.jpg

20-IMG_2489-001_zps2shpfony.jpg

21-IMG_2486-001_zpskcuyypip.jpg

22-DSCF1355-001_zpshesxrfjl.jpg

23-DSCF1354-001_zpsb652un7u.jpg

24-IMG_2481-001_zpsr5rtnjqq.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Cass wrote: »
    Not a big job, but one of those jobs that makes a serious difference when done. A few months ago i noticed the headlights on the Vectra were looking, well, crap. They were faded, dirty looking and really took from the look of the car.

I made an attempt, a poor one at that, to clean them up before, but they did not turn out as good as i would have liked. Not having the right stuff i stopped with the intention of doing them again.

Roll on today and i had had enough so decided to finally tackle them. I bought 800, 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper. Got a basin of lukewarm water with plenty of fairy liquid in it. I had bought the Meguiars headlight restoration kit so got it ready along with some cloths. I taped off the body work around the side panels, bumper, etc.

I kept the sandpaper/headlight well soaked and worked each grade of sand paper in vertical then horizontal and back to vertical strokes. I continued sanding until i felt little to no resistance then moved onto the next, finer, grade. When i had it all sanded i dried the headlight extremely well. Then moved onto the Meguiars. I used a cordless drill for this, and gave it two coats/going overs. Then polished with a clean terry cloth.

Have to say i'm delighted with the results. Was not a big job at all and makes the front of the car much cleaner and fresher looking. total time from start to finish was about 45 minutes.

The result is nice but the problem is the haziness is caused by a bad UV protection coat that has been burned over the years.

When you sanded these lights you have basically removed anything that was left from the UV protection coat and now these lights will become even more hazed after a while.

What I recommend is to clean the lights, give them a wet sand, coat the headlight in about 4 coats of clear acrylic lacquer, wet sand with 2000 grit LIGHTLY (to remove the bumpy lacquer coat) and then polish the headlight with normal car polish or using a kit like you have used there.

I made a guide a while back: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95626812

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Cheers for that link.

I kinda guessed that cleaning them as i did would remove any protection, but my God they were bad. If nothing else the look of them alone made me cringe. Looking at them today and they look far better but i reckon they could do with another going over. I doubt the sandpaper will be needed just the polishing treatment. As the little bit left is so subtle only i would notice it.

As for laquering i'll be honest that it never really crossed my mind until you mentioned it to re-apply some sort of prrotection. I have the products you mentioned so might just give it a bash today.

Quick question for ya. Would you suggest i just use your method in the link or would it be okay/recommended to give them another going over with the Meguiars before applyying the coating/protection/laquering?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Cass wrote: »
    Quick question for ya. Would you suggest i just use your method in the link or would it be okay/recommended to give them another going over with the Meguiars before applyying the coating/protection/laquering?

When I wet-sanded mine I didn't even bother polishing them. I went straight for the lacquer and then sanded it down a tiny bit to smooth the lacquer and then I polished it.

If you polish it with Meguiars the lacquer may not stick properly.

Basically just wetsand with 2000, the lights will look horrible, spray 4 coats of lacquer leaving the paint to dry for 15 minutes before a new coat and after the 4th coat let the lacquer dry (it said 2 hours on my can).

Then do the wetsanding again with the 2000, your goal is to make the lacquer coatings smooth because the surface will be rough after lacquer and it you don't put enough coats of lacquer you could sand the lacquer off.

After all that polish the lights and job done.

Well.
    Had to do a trip to Dublin on Friday. Basically up, Have a bite to eat and return.

Not sure if it was the protection of Fusso on my car.
    OR
    Is it the effectiveness of the Bilt Hamber Snow foam. But There was a fair amount of flies on the front and the tailgate was black from road spray in the rain.
    As you will see in the before pics it was pretty manky.
    Basically foamed.
    Let dwell for 3 or 4 minutes
    Brushed the fly's with a detailing brush.
    Foamed the front again while I brushed the remaining door gaps/badges etc.

Rinsed with pressure washer.
    Washed with Kristal Klean Shampoo

Was very pleased at how easy the flys were removed even prior to washing.

Pics will explain.

BEFORE

2015-06-20%2014.13.32_zpsplxbunx9.jpg

2015-06-20%2014.13.40_zpsa3etvxwc.jpg

2015-06-20%2014.14.04_zpsmbg4hyqx.jpg

2015-06-20%2014.14.08_zpsyweoz3jk.jpg

2015-06-20%2014.14.13_zpsk2i0jtfr.jpg

2015-06-20%2014.13.52_zpsiqtbjifb.jpg

2015-06-20%2014.13.44_zpslxxfpjuf.jpg

AFTER Foam Rinse.

2015-06-20%2014.44.38_zpshtx31pws.jpg

2015-06-20%2014.44.46_zpsmheecuuv.jpg

2015-06-20%2014.44.49_zpsaa63ktep.jpg

2015-06-20%2014.44.41_zpstvwbobsj.jpg

2015-06-20%2014.45.05_zpstbfjvsfc.jpg

After wash ~ Dry.

2015-06-20%2015.15.05_zpscc7nafgh.jpg

2015-06-20%2015.15.18_zpsf2syda2i.jpg

2015-06-20%2015.15.28_zpsi4rrdliu.jpg

2015-06-20%2015.15.21_zpsti0advlz.jpg

2015-06-20%2015.15.14_zpsgxmz1l5t.jpg

2015-06-20%2015.15.33_zps17gqbegg.jpg

2015-06-20%2015.15.31_zpsewsyrwpf.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The bloody motorway (literally) - heading to the big smoke myself on Tuesday! Plan to wash the car tomorrow (if its dry) and then it will probably resemble your before pics by the time I come home :(

Looking good, Eugene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Shine up last weekend.

19079656445_55edcc36b6_h.jpg

Lovely car ^^
    What spec is she?

vectra wrote: »
    Lovely car ^^
    What spec is she?

Felt spec

Only kidding....cracking looking motor!! She cleaned up well! :)

vectra wrote: »
    Lovely car ^^
    What spec is she?

Thanks Vectra, Curran.
    141 Sline TDI Just put a new set of tyres on last week after returning 40.000k on the originals.

18891907190_71eaedb253_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

The Audi is sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

what tyres on the original, 40k is good

Continentals 225/40/R18. Put on Bridgestone this time

SBPhoto wrote: »
    Continentals 225/40/R18. Put on Bridgestone this time

Same as on my car.
    Friend of mine got 40k from a set on a vRS combi as well.
    Mind you he did drive like he was driving on ice.

Was asked by a family relation to give a lift to this car, a surprise gift for her elderly cousin. The man that owns it has it since new, and I very much doubt it's seen many cleanings! Was up there with one of the harder jobs I have done. There is plenty of scrapes and dings on it, but I couldn't do much about them. I can't be arsed going to the effort of blurring the reg, but yer man is in his 80's so doubt he'll care.

He was in his element with the results, thought it was a new car, parking it out the front of the house for the neighbours to see. It was nothing much, but meant so much to him. Threw in a new air freshener for good measure.

I Love doing black cars, as they have the potential, no matter how bad they are, to come up like a gem!

A Few befores, seem to have lost my interior befores

xWJGSUp.jpg

9T8uObj.jpg

And afters

Hs6AFYU.jpg

YHG4Pp8.jpg

EVr8Tbk.jpg

goiyD0b.jpg

8bEerII.jpg

The door shuts were gone over after the interior pics, for the pedantic beings amongst us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Those pics are huge Noccy_Mondy. 3,264px × 2,448px :eek:.

• Advertisement

Hal1 wrote: »
    Those pics are huge Noccy_Mondy. 3,264px × 2,448px :eek:.

Are they? Woops. I just uploaded them to imgur straight off my camera roll on my phone. My laptop is broken, so I'm fairly limited with my IT resources. If they are too obtrusive on the desktop site (looks alright on the mobile) then mods, feel free to resize them on my behalf :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Ok, I just tried another browser and their fine. I use firefox mainly as chrome doesn't like me for some reason :confused:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Gave the E39 it's first proper "Detail" in my ownership. Wheels were treated with Korrosol and washed again afterwards with AutoGlym's Wheel cleaner and the tyres shined with 50Cal's tyre dressing. The body was washed with AutoGlym's Shampoo, clayed with Meguiars clay and quick detailer, washed again, dried, polished with AutoGlym Super Resin and finally sealed with C2V3, courtesy of MM :) Interior was treated to a simple Vacuum and quick clean and febreezed.

20150628_184708_zpsd0rroyrj.jpg

20150628_184716_zpswazdmeyd.jpg

20150628_184732_zpsx2nlzxgb.jpg

20150628_193049_zps7wz2vamu.jpg

20150628_193055_zpsrxksbpzw.jpg

20150628_193134_zpsjqbxejfh.jpg

20150628_193143_zpsnaq6v9cj.jpg

20150628_193152_zpsvhdbk2o1.jpg

20150628_193427_zpsltnuqumq.jpg

Next job on the list is sort the headlights, I have the Meguiars kit for it just need to get the lend of a drill. Then get the bonnet resprayed as the stone chips are killing it and also grab a towing eye cover from BMW.

Happy with my few hours work though :)

I carried out an enhancement detail on this Mini‬ ‪John Cooper Works‬, I also applied a 12 month paint sealant to lock in the fresh shine. Being a typical mini it had very dull and faded trim which I restored back to like new.. Check it out !! :cool:

No in detail pictures as the day was too long.

1-DSCF1371_zpsqeafk8mj.jpg

2-DSCF1375_zps3xqtk3eu.jpg

3-DSCF1376_zpsplufzrev.jpg

4-DSCF1378_zpsgxuthkiu.jpg

5-DSCF1379_zps8tahfdgi.jpg

Products/tools:
    • Nilfisk E140
    • Autosmart Duet
    • Autosmart Smart wheels
    • Tar Remover
    • Liquid Elements Clay Towel
    • Autosmart Fallout Remover
    • Optimum Hyper Polish Spray
    • Optimum Microfiber Polishing Pads 5 & 3 inch
    • Shinemate EP801 Machine Operated Polisher (MOP)
    • 3M soft 5 inch backing plate
    • Flexipads 3 inch medium/hard backing plate
    • Kestrel DAS6
    • Polish Angel Escalate Lotion
    • Polish Angel Master Sealant
    • Hexlogic Black Pad 5 & 3 inch
    • Autosmart Highstyle
    • Autosmart Finish
    • Solution Finish
    • Autoglym Car Glass Polish
    Time: 7 hours/4 hours travel

Thanks for looking :D

You are a hard grafter James.
    Great looking result.

A Bottle of the Solution Finish is coming high up on my "Must get" list.

• Advertisement

It's all great when a product is good at what it does but when it's fun to use it makes the job much easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

It's all great when a product is good at what it does but when it's fun to use it makes the job much easier.

Did you do that work at the owners house James?
    In the front garden?
    Or do you need a garage to work in?

XsApollo wrote: »
    In the front garden?

Weather permitting James can work outdoors.

XsApollo wrote: »
    In the front garden?

That was a friend from up the country, it started to rain just as I left thank god :-D

Got a chance to pop out and give it a quick clean. Was absolutely bogging; perfect for some product testing! :)
    Wheels cleaned / de-iron
    Snowfoam
    Wash
    De-iron
    Wash
    Dry
    Once over with a cream wax
    Treat plastics and tyres
    Windscreen sealant
    Quick vacuum

Looks a bit respectable now. Needs a light machining to make it pop...and some dread rust spots in the arches need attention! :(

20150704_132329_zpszslbapfb.jpg

^^ Wasn't before time ^^ :P

Looking good now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Looks good! Quick question on the rust spots. How would you go about that? Assuming it needs to be ground off or do those anti rust chemicals work?

Relative has a rust spot from the contact points of roof bars and want to treat it before it gets too bad.

Depends...my rust is bubbling and will need grinding or perhaps a new bit of metal.
    Surface rust could just be treated and painted. I'm guessing the roof bar damage is just surface?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Curran wrote: »
    Depends...my rust is bubbling and will need grinding or perhaps a new bit of metal.
    Surface rust could just be treated and painted. I'm guessing the roof bar damage is just surface?

Ill try get a snap and post it up.

i need to pluck up some courage to take pictures of the car outside of the house :)

Some new supplies last week so washed the car Friday evening.

1) Snowfoam with Bilt Hamber Auto Wash
    2) Handwash with Meguiars Luxurious Lambs Wool Wash Mitt - bucket with grit guard - 5ml autowash in bucket
    3) Rinse down with nilfisk
    4) Dry with Micro madness dry me crazy (best thing ever)
    5) Hoover inside
    6) Leather wiped with Dr Leather Advanced leather wipes..

Happy with the results.. car looks great still apart from a some bird attack on the back windsceen..

Next time I'll take pictures..

Thanks to curran for the supplies

I have this dustbuster over a year now and its the first one I've had that does a reasonable job on the carpets

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BLACK-DECKER-Lithium-Compact-Titanium/dp/B00IUK800O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434439069&sr=8-1&keywords=black+and+decker+dust+buster+18v

Easily as good as breaking out the house hoover..

I've yet to venture into the world of waxing or claying or polishing but I'm sure I'll get there!

Cheers,
    Mick

Same again today between the showers

• Advertisement

Good man Mick - you've got your wash technique sorted....shortly it will be time to venture into the unknown; would recommend you get some sort of protection on the car, definitely before the winter...should be aiming to have it on the car by late Sept if you are leaving it until then!!

Good man Mick - you've got your wash technique sorted....shortly it will be time to venture into the unknown; would recommend you get some sort of protection on the car, definitely before the winter...should be aiming to have it on the car by late Sept if you are leaving it until then!!

Protection yikes!

What's the recommended process?

Cheers
    Mick

Ideally, a de-tar and claying minimum, as you want the car decontaminated to ensure you dont inflict swirls during application.

If you wanted something really easy and risk free - CarPro HydrO2 would be worth looking at.

Wash the car, spray onto a panel, power wash off (the force of the water causes the product to activate), move to next panel and repeat, do the whole car, then dry it. Job done!

See it in action here...
    Watch how differently the water reacts from before application (sits on the bonnet) and after (beads and runs away) - its THAT easy! ;)

Forgot to mention - without doing a full decontamination of the paintwork, the HydrO2 wont perform to its full ability, but since its that easy to apply, you could do it every few washes and the car would be protected easily.
    Gives the paintwork a really nice shine too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

That Hydro2 looks good, is it fairly durable as well? Wouldn't be popular with the Done Deal boyos who throw a bucket of water over the car before photographing it for the ad. :pac:

Given how easy it is to use, its actually not too bad. CarPro say 3 months, but from my testing earlier in the year, during poor weather, and no washing of the car, it was about 2 months, but I reckon it would perform quite well if it had another coat after a month.

My interior could do with a shampoo (focus). What I'd like done is the seats, roof and floor carpet/mats. I never let the ground get too dirty, always does be vacuumed regularly, so no matter who gets the task, they wont have to do alot to earn their money. I went into a valeting place last week and enquired, saying all I want done is the inside, as I can manage the outside myself. They basically said that they won't/don't do carpets, all they do is the seats and roof, for 60 euro. An extra 20 to do the exterior. I thought this was odd, I'm nearly sure the mondeo carpets were done last year. So those of you in the know, is it common practice to do the floor carpets as part of a standard valet?

Every valet will have their own set of pre-defined tasks for a given price.
    To be honest, it's a job that shouldn't be turned down...a price should be worked out. The roof is harder to do than the carpets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Given how easy it is to use, its actually not too bad. CarPro say 3 months, but from my testing earlier in the year, during poor weather, and no washing of the car, it was about 2 months, but I reckon it would perform quite well if it had another coat after a month.

I see the instructions mentions that it can be applied and rubbed over with a microfibre cloth to activate. Did you ever try that?

• Advertisement

No, havent tried it that way - if I was going for a microfiber application, I think Id go for a different product in the CarPro range; Reload.
    It does a really nice job of filling defects while giving very good protection too.

Advertisement