Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Dont knock it until you've tried it! :D :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I think this may be said car.

]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Curran wrote: »
    Apologies; interpretation!! :P
    Auld technology took over on that one!

Yeah....technology ;)

Something on your mind there old Currany bun?! :D hah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Yeah....technology ;)

Something on your mind there old Currany bun?! :D hah

Yeah, he must be in the mood for some

....drawing :D

Can never get anyone to be serious when explaining this topic. (On the LC DCG syllabus)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I8cH0lLeYLg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Attacked the 5 ahead of the BMWHause Dublin meet tomorrow, my collection is slowly growing :D

20150729_174042_zps000fb0hd.jpg

Some terrible before photo:

20150729_174248_zpsn1ra7jjm.jpg

An equally worse after photo :pac:

20150729_202727_zpsbbm8nkyu.jpg

Need to tidy the trim at some point in the future as there's Polish embedded, APC and a brush should sort it.

If the company is implying that a full valet and an enhancement detail are of equal value, then I'd question their interpretation of an enhancement detail...or perhaps their full valet is extremely thorough, including a wet vac, and a decent amount of work done on the outside.

An enchancement detail to me is a wash, full decontaminated, a single stage machine polish (to remove light damage and thus restoring depth, gloss and shine), re-wash to strip the polishing oils, dry, wax/sealant, wheels cleaned / decontaminated, tyres dressed, glass cleaned....which is quite a bit of work.

This is their process of an enhancement detail (taken from their page). Seems to be fairly comprehensive.

ajvxo1.jpg

Yeah; can't fault that!! Their full valet must be a fairly in depth cleaning of both interior and exterior so!

Curran wrote:
    Yeah; can't fault that!! Their full valet must be a fairly in depth cleaning of both interior and exterior so!

Meh didn't win it, t'fcuk with them anyway!

Are ye any good with power washer diagnostics around here? Have a nilfisk c120 and when it's left down (switch on lance not being pressed) it constantly starts and stops by itself, just for about a second, then goes quiet for a few seconds, then the pump would start on/off for a second etc (almost like it's trying to keep pressure up in the hose). Today though, the same started happening as I'm using the lance, pump works, dribbles out a bit then knocks off, starts again instantly and repeats the procedure. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Is the pump struggling Noccy?

And that detail... the language just used just leaves a bad taste in my mouth... wtf is a deep car clean... quality shampoo, not pH neutral shampoo. Waxing the car using a sealant. The language is just a bit poor for me. I'd wonder do they know what they are on about, particularly at the price level. Don't know though, just my sense at a surface level. Don't want these guys just running a rotary over your car quickly, leaving buffer trails and a few pigtails and calling it a one step enhancement detail.

• Advertisement

myshirt wrote:
    Is the pump struggling Noccy?

Does struggle a bit, can take a while for pressure to build up when it was working fine. Pump doesn't get a chance to struggle now due to the constant stop starting.

Is the water pressure good.
    Mine does that for the first 30 seconds or so after reconnecting it. Slight air lock. Also, if I leave it sitting, it pulses every 3 mins or so.

Curran wrote:
    Is the water pressure good. Mine does that for the first 30 seconds or so after reconnecting it. Slight air lock. Also, if I leave it sitting, it pulses every 3 mins or so.

It used to always give the odd pulse alright. It's sucking from a barrel, so woudn't the pressure be constant?

When a pressure washer starts pulsing like that it means it's on the way out. I don't know what causes it but it's happened to nearly all the cheaper pressure washers we've had over the years.

The washer will work fine for quite some time after the pulsing starts because it doesn't affect the normal operation, it's just very annoying.

When a pressure washer starts pulsing like that it means it's on the way out.

My C120 has pulsed every few minutes, when not in use, from day one....Ive had it over 5 years now, and never a moments issue with it.

Or do you mean, when it pulses during use? Sometimes it can be airlocked, or a kink in the hose only allowing a limited amount of water through, but Im sure he's checked all that!

My C120 has pulsed every few minutes, when not in use, from day one....Ive had it over 5 years now, and never a moments issue with it.

From day 1?? Jaysus confused.gif

From my experience, it's always been like this:

> Buy washer
    > Works as normal for a few months
    > Pulsing starts
    > Buy new washer 2 months later

Repeat.

That's why I invested over €400 in a Karcher K5. It's built like a fooken tank!

• Advertisement

To be honest, the pulse is like its a reminder that the washer isnt in use, and that its still powered on. I could run the washer flat out for 20 minutes and it wouldnt pulse during use. Just sitting idle, it will pulse every few minutes!!

I read somewhere that it could be due to an inadequate electricity supply, weak lead etc. I recently changed leads, maybe that's what's up. I'll soldier on anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

thought it would pulse because of a pressure drop eg: pressures drops (eg a leak down the line...saying that I presume it would have a non return valve at the machine itself), pulses to bring back the pressure to the setpoint ready for use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

Getting detailed.

3LiwG64.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Nice

• Advertisement

Washed, trims restored a bit, hoovered and stripper scented!

20150806_174531_zpskbsj9c26.jpg

20150806_174550_zps3xa1tow8.jpg

20150806_174540_zps9bjuzvfi.jpg

20150806_174603_zpslcievxpc.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Good job. Will you keep it beyond the fifteen year limit when it becomes a psychopathic killing machine?

Looking good!

Farce that 15 year limit ****e! My E39 is a year older than that one and I'd say both of them are in better condition than the majority of cars 5+ years! :mad:

Good job. Will you keep it beyond the fifteen year limit when it becomes a psychopathic killing machine?

I'm hoping to hold onto it until I can pick up a 540i or M5, which won't be for at least another 2/3/4 years. Even then, don't think I'd sell it, I'd probably keep it.

It's an absolutely ridiculous rule though, plenty of older cars going around that are very well cared for and get more than what some newer cars get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Got my focus ready for a wedding tomorrow!

KKD Blizzard Snowfoam
    Autosmart Duet
    De-tar
    Clay Mitt
    Rinse
    Dry
    Autosmart mirror image
    Autosmart topaz

All she needs is the ribbons for tomorrow!

Try get you hands on velvet like material, otherwise you risk swirling the bonnet where they connact, when the blow about in the wind.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Waterless wash and wax and a quick polish. Just focused on the main bodywork.

On the my phone so can't embed them properly.

You'll need to protect that car with a wax or a sealant, or your time spent polishing it will be in vain! ;)

You'll need to protect that car with a wax or a sealant, or your time spent polishing it will be in vain! ;)

It's kept indoors all the time, so no fear of it being washed away! I'm going to get a seperate wax at some point, as soon as this fecking weather gives me a few days!

Not so bad then! As long as you dont drive her in the rain! :)

• Advertisement

Not so bad then! As long as you dont drive her in the rain! :)

In my 6 years of ownership, I think the cars been in rain 4 times! Normally it rusts when you just drink a bottle of water when driving haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Lovely Clubman.

vectra wrote: »
    Lovely Clubman.

I'll be pedantic and correct you that it's a 1275gt :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

2wml53b.jpg

Hi folks,

Washed my dad's octavia today, lots of tar spots on the car.

What's best job for getting them off?

In the north west for the week so halfords probably my only option for product
    Cheers
    Mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

2wml53b.jpg

Hi folks,

Cheers
    Mick

I use to get auto glym tar and glue remover but spray is best as rubbing not a good idea at all.

Detailingshed.com

Delivered to your door no more going out to buy.

antodeco wrote: »
    I'll be pedantic and correct you that it's a 1275gt :D

Drive on.
    I drove one when it was brand new
    Clubman refers to the bodyshape :P
    http://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/reviews/mini/1275gt/

vectra wrote: »
    Drive on.
    I drove one when it was brand new
    Clubman refers to the bodyshape :P
    http://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/reviews/mini/1275gt/

Haha, ok ok, I'll accept this bodyshape, but not the name :D

antodeco wrote: »
    Haha, ok ok, I'll accept this bodyshape, but not the name :D

Is it a
    Mini Clubman 1275gt

OR a
    Mini 1275 GT Clubman?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

2wml53b.jpg

Hi folks,

Cheers
    Mick

Clay bar the car if its light tarring, cant tell how bad it is from pic. If its worse tardis or a fall out from detailingshed.

He does however need to be less violent with door opening judging by looks of door edges :eek: :P

Cleaned mine friday, just a quick wash n rinse
    DSC_00991_1.jpg
    DSC_00982.jpg

• Advertisement

Clay bar will remove the tar spots, but not ideal if the tar contamination is in any way heavy. Tar contains grit, and you dont want to be rubbing that back and forth over the paint work.
    After a tar remover is used, sometimes there are some very small spots that remain, the clay bar on this, isnt such an issue. But best to get as much contamination off the car as possible, before proceeding with the claying step.

Clay bar will remove the tar spots, but not ideal if the tar contamination is in any way heavy. Tar contains grit, and you dont want to be rubbing that back and forth over the paint work.
    After a tar remover is used, sometimes there are some very small spots that remain, the clay bar on this, isnt such an issue. But best to get as much contamination off the car as possible, before proceeding with the claying step.

Thanks for tar removal any halfords products you would recommend?

edburg wrote: »
    Clay bar the car if its light tarring, cant tell how bad it is from pic. If its worse tardis or a fall out from detailingshed.

He does however need to be less violent with door opening judging by looks of door edges :eek: :P

Cleaned mine friday, just a quick wash n rinse
    DSC_00991_1.jpg
    DSC_00982.jpg

Yeah think he past taking care... I think there may have been rubber bumpers on the edges of door that they may have taken off

Thanks for tar removal any halfords products you would recommend?

Not sure what they stock, but steer clear of Holt Tar Remover in the aerosol cans....messy and very aggressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I gave the car a quick going over. Washed with 50cal snowfoam (left on for 15 minutes or so) and rinsed. Washed with 2BM with Autoglym Shampoo and dried with a Dry-me-Crazy. Wheels were done with Bilt Hamber Autowheels and that was that. It got a proper detail two weeks ago.

0ctX7UxP

It rained so I could see the beading

fQ6Mr8hn

f5QGBOGD

Myself and Da then tackled the Motorhome. The cab was done with 50cal snowfoam, rinsed and washed with Autoglym Shampoo. Cab dried with the Dry-me-Crazy. The body was foamed with dilute Mud-Buster Caravan & Motorhome cleaner. It was rinsed and then dried with the drying towel. The Mud-Buster was used neat on the sealent and black water streaks and rinsed and dried. Wheels were Bilt Hamber Autowheels and Autoglym tyre shine. Polycarbonate windows were done with Autoglym Fast Glass. Door jams with concentrate Mud-Buster and rinsed. All door rubbers cleaned and lubricated with Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber cleaner. The stainless steel bumper done with Autoglym metal polish. The only thing that was done inside was the dash with AG Fast Glass (I hate shiny dashboards).

No photos but that took us a day and a half, stopping for Tea breaks, etc. The small Wonder Wheels wheel brush from the group buy was dead handy for the crevasses etc. We did have to tape it to an old brush handle. A good step ladder is also needed. God love us if we actually decide to clay, polish, wax & seal the bloody thing......

Edit - I now see a bit I missed on the wheel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Spent a good few hours doing mine today.

Started off with using Bilt hamber auto wheel and a wheel wash and then a snow foam using Valet Pro PH Neutral. Washed using 2BM with 50cal APC.
    Then used OAC iron cleanse, washed and dried and used OAC tar cleanse. Washed that off and then used the Meguiars clay bar kit i won off James in MX Valeting
    Washed using 2BM with Car Pro Reset.
    Polished with SRP and waxed with Collinite 845.
    Used CG wheel guard and OAC Tyre Glitz on the shoes.

IMG_20150810_164140_zpskoqvf9pz.jpg
    IMG_20150810_164153_zpsoagweomw.jpg
    IMG_20150810_164225_zpsye2jzsbm.jpg

• Advertisement

I'm glad the clay is contributing to this epic finish. Well done!

I'm glad the clay is contributing to this epic finish. Well done!

Surprisingly or rather unsurprisingly there wasn't much ****e on it. Bit behind the rear wheels and small bit on passengers door but that was it.

The hardest thing about detailing it was the fecking irish weather! Clouds, sun, rain, clouds and then more sun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

That's a great looking Mondeo especially in estate form. The mk4 always did look best in black. Did you use a DA for the polishing ?

Mc Love wrote: »
    Surprisingly or rather unsurprisingly there wasn't much ****e on it. Bit behind the rear wheels and small bit on passengers door but that was it.

That's because of your good maintenance i bet ;)

That's a great looking Mondeo especially in estate form. The mk4 always did look best in black. Did you use a DA for the polishing ?

I wish! Good old manual labour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement