Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Let me know how you get on with the Motorhome. I was considering giving mine a go too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

*Kol* wrote: »
    Let me know how you get on with the Motorhome. I was considering giving mine a go too.

The main reason us to try to stop the black streaks, or at least make them easy to remove. If the long weekend is fine, I should have time to try it.

ianobrien wrote: »
    The main reason us to try to stop the black streaks, or at least make them easy to remove. If the long weekend is fine, I should have time to try it.

Same here. I find the Fenwicks shampoo used neat on a microfibre cloth removes the black streaks quite easily.

Same here. I find the Fenwicks shampoo used neat on a microfibre cloth removes the black streaks quite easily.

I use MudBuster Caravan and Motorhome cleaner. I dilute it down for the 2BM wash and that generally moves them. For the stubbern ones, I use it neat and rinse. I want to try the Collinite to see if it makes it easier to get rid of them streaks next time I wash it.

ianobrien wrote: »
    I use MudBuster Caravan and Motorhome cleaner. I dilute it down for the 2BM wash and that generally moves them. For the stubbern ones, I use it neat and rinse. I want to try the Collinite to see if it makes it easier to get rid of them streaks next time I wash it.

I was thinking of using Carpro HydrO2, but it would need more than 1 bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭DoctorStrange

[IMG]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/<a href=http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/DoctorStrange1/media/2015-10-18 19.41.05_zpsl9amuglo.jpg.html target=_blank>[/img]2015-10-18%2019.41.05_zpsl9amuglo.jpg2015-10-18%2019.41.05_zpsl9amuglo.jpg2015-10-18%2018.42.30_zpsoz1jcdiy.jpg

Did the seats with AG leather cleaner using an old shaving brush I had. Seemed to work well and got a great lather going.

phone + darkness make for sh1t pics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Suffice to say my car was in a state after a week of no washing and the interior got nothing for weeks:

20151025_113727_zps9wl4bynm.jpg

20151025_113734_zps3slxdvao.jpg

20151025_113743_zpszvmelyxz.jpg

After:

20151025_144032_zpsb2qwv37h.jpg

20151025_144039_zpskf5soivv.jpg

A terrible Snapchat of a clean ish exterior :p

Snapchat-4135773830697844056_zps4rs2bqoj.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Lucozade orange? You need help :pac:

Original all the way. Now that I mention it, I'm gonna hop in the car and drive and get one!

Lucozade orange? You need help :pac:

Original all the way. Now that I mention it, I'm gonna hop in the car and drive and get one!

Orange is my drug :p

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Orange is my drug :p

It's the tastiest :)

mik_da_man wrote: »
    It's the tastiest :)

People just don't know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

People just don't know!

Yeah, we do, and it's manky! I've yet to pull myself together to go and get an original one. I will in the next few mins :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

Yeah, we do, and it's manky! I've yet to pull myself together to go and get an original one. I will in the next few mins :pac:

Sure any excuse to take the car for a spin is a good one :p

Lucozade always reminds me of being in hospital and its something your daft elderly relation brings (in a glass bottle) along with half dried grapes.

Sorry but it does....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Technique

What's the leather cleaner? Dr. Leather?

• Advertisement

Gave the exterior some attention this evening:

-Snow Foamed with 2D Car Care
    -Wheels and tyres cleaned with 50. Cal Wheel Cleaner
    -2 bucket wash with 2D Car Care Wash and Wax
    -Dried
    -Tyres Shined with 50. Cal Stealth Tyre Shine
    -Body was Quick Detailed with 50. Cal Detailer, which smells amazing.

It was pretty grim:

20151029_1655120_zpshgo2w1si.jpg

20151029_165512_zps0z0q96qb.jpg

20151029_165458_zpslf1x66vd.jpg

20151029_165452_zpsujts924p.jpg

20151029_170200_zpsdaayh5mn.jpg

20151029_170154_zpsf126nse0.jpg

20151029_181233_zpsd8kiupfa.jpg

20151029_181242_zpslgq9srzv.jpg

20151029_181257_zpsxsbivcgo.jpg

20151029_182005_zpsl22wgggw.jpg

1446141829699_zps7fvjrxic.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Gave the exterior some attention this evening:

-Snow Foamed with 2D Car Care
    -Wheels and tyres cleaned with 50. Cal Wheel Cleaner
    -2 bucket wash with 2D Car Care Wash and Wax
    -Dried
    -Tyres Shined with 50. Cal Stealth Tyre Shine
    -Body was Quick Detailed with 50. Cal Detailer, which smells amazing.

It was pretty grim:

Golden rule.
    Never ever use a "Wash & Wax" shampoo on your detailed car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Was thinking the same thing! Especially since the car is freshly coated! ;)

vectra wrote: »
    Golden rule.
    Never ever use a "Wash & Wax" shampoo on your detailed car.

Oh I know full well, pretty sure that's what they just call their basic shampoo though.

Well if it doesn't contain wax, why call it Wash and Wax??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Curran wrote: »

I suppose Lucozade orange doesn't contain anything to do with oranges either :pac:

Sales? The description on it only says "a PH neutral shampoo that offers high gloss", it's also what said to pick up and they know my car is detaiked/sealed.

Sales; yes! But if it doesnt contain wax then why would they pull the wool over peoples eyes! But by the description it certainly sounds like it has gloss enhancers (wax of some sort).
    Not what I'd recommend someone who has just spent hours polishing and protecting their car...the gloss enhancers in these types of shampoo will usually take away from the finish achieved during your process.
    They are more suited to the once a month warriors who are looking for a quick and easy boost in appearance...the ones that are happy when the car looks clean.

Sales; yes! But if it doesnt contain wax then why would they pull the wool over peoples eyes! But by the description it certainly sounds like it has gloss enhancers (wax of some sort).
    Not what I'd recommend someone who has just spent hours polishing and protecting their car...the gloss enhancers in these types of shampoo will usually take away from the finish achieved during your process.
    They are more suited to the once a month warriors who are looking for a quick and easy boost in appearance...the ones that are happy when the car looks clean.

Learn something new all the time! Would it break down the sealant much, if it's say being used once a week?

It probably won't affect your protection in anyway, but it may affect certain aspects of the coating; appearance, the reaction of beading or sheet properties for example.
    Using a wash and wax type product will leave a thin layer on top of the coating you applied which would nullify the reasons you bought the coating in the first place.
    Often Quick Detailers will have similar results. The reason is manufacturers are blurring the lines of many products.
    Quick Detailers in the traditional sense would have been a simple wipe down product; for lifting light dust, finger prints....it would have been quite watery and probably wouldn't have any real affect on coatings....but now quick detailers contain carnauba waxes/polymer sealants extra; which would be decent enough to use as stand alone protection from wash to wash or for weeks at a time. These types of products, while they certainly have their uses, will take away from fresh coatings in certain ways. I only ever use them when my coating is nearing it's last legs and it needs a boost in appearance or to get me by until I get a chance to strip it all back and re-apply.
    That said, certain coating, like nano coatings, are sold with maintenance quick detailers/ shampoos and snowfoams, to help keep the nano links clean and boost appearance....but it wouldnt be something you'd go mixing and matching from other manufacturers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Ah, but don't say it like there's something wrong with it :)

Ah, but don't say it like there's something wrong with it :)

Quote where I said there was something wrong with it ;)

Think of it this way....strawberry jam on a bacon sandwich; is there anything wrong with it? No...would you do it? No! ;)

It probably won't affect your protection in anyway, but it may affect certain aspects of the coating; appearance, the reaction of beading or sheet properties for example.
    Using a wash and wax type product will leave a thin layer on top of the coating you applied which would nullify the reasons you bought the coating in the first place.
    Often Quick Detailers will have similar results. The reason is manufacturers are blurring the lines of many products.
    Quick Detailers in the traditional sense would have been a simple wipe down product; for lifting light dust, finger prints....it would have been quite watery and probably wouldn't have any real affect on coatings....but now quick detailers contain carnauba waxes/polymer sealants extra; which would be decent enough to use as stand alone protection from wash to wash or for weeks at a time. These types of products, while they certainly have their uses, will take away from fresh coatings in certain ways. I only ever use them when my coating is nearing it's last legs and it needs a boost in appearance or to get me by until I get a chance to strip it all back and re-apply.
    That said, certain coating, like nano coatings, are sold with maintenance quick detailers/ shampoos and snowfoams, to help keep the nano links clean and boost appearance....but it wouldnt be something you'd go mixing and matching from other manufacturers.

Ah I see what you mean, I'll give the lads I bought it off a shout as they'll know what the full story is with it. I know this one can also be used with the Lance as foam too but they'll give me a definitive answer I suppose!

Learn something new all the time! Would it break down the sealant much, if it's say being used once a week?

Yes,

Best plan for that is use it on someones car that just has a wash and go.

Quote where I said there was something wrong with it ;)

Think of it this way....strawberry jam on a bacon sandwich; is there anything wrong with it? No...would you do it? No! ;)

it's more the way you said it, you know yourself what i mean :)

the word "warrior" implicating a battle and aggression and the phrase "happy when it looks clean" implicating that the car is not clean but that the owner is fooled somehow.

i'm not having a go at you as such, maybe you guys are happy with how this forum is tipping away. i'd have a great interest in keeping my car clean, presentable and protected but i do be afraid to post in here sometimes for the fear of being slightly non conformist which always seems to lead to a raft of wink face smilies and smoke and mirrors style comments like what just happened there.

• Advertisement

the word "warrior" implicating a battle and aggression and the phrase "happy when it looks clean" implicating that the car is not clean but that the owner is fooled somehow.

You've taken that way out of context!
    And more often than not, the cars are never clean...just to washing with one bucket and dragging the dirty water all over the car, leave it to dry with dirty water stains, or missing sections of panels, etc....we all have neighbours like it! ;)

I never said there was anything wrong with it, just that there are better options out there. He's put an awful lot of effort into getting his car into its current extremely presentable state, that I'm sure he'd appreciate a bit of direction in how to keep it that way!! I know I would be very happy someone would take the time out to give a detailed post about why it would be better not using it.

I cant help it if that's how you see someone trying educate and point people in the right direction.

For what it's worth; everyone on this forum is extremely helpful to others and I think you may be taking up the smiley and winking faces as being sarcastic, rather than being friendly.

This is exactly why I post here, I'm here to learn, I've just shot D&D a message about it to see what they say, I wouldn't want to degrade what I've done to it.

Don't get me wrong; there is no issue using it, other than it taking away slightly from the coating applied; which was chosen for certain properties it offers.

Don't get me wrong; there is no issue using it, other than it defeating the coating applied.

Yeah I know what you mean, it'd just be better to use a straight PH neutral shampoo instead of one which adds a layer of "wax" on top.

I am going to give mine the first wash since applying the hydrO2. I guess the same applies regarding the wash and wax?

You've taken that way out of context!
    And more often than not, the cars are never clean...just to washing with one bucket and dragging the dirty water all over the car, leave it to dry with dirty water stains, or missing sections of panels, etc....we all have neighbours like it! ;)

I never said there was anything wrong with it, just that there are better options out there. He's put an awful lot of effort into getting his car into its current extremely presentable state, that I'm sure he'd appreciate a bit of direction in how to keep it that way!! I know I would be very happy someone would take the time out to give a detailed post about why it would be better not using it.

I cant help it if that's how you see someone trying educate and point people in the right direction.

For what it's worth; everyone on this forum is extremely helpful to others and I think you may be taking up the smiley and winking faces as being sarcastic, rather than being friendly.

i didn't really take it out of context, i directly quoted you.

i just think some of these things are a bit up in the air. like will that product really diminish his finish? how so? how is it measured? what product will react with what? or is it all anecdotal?

it's well known that there comes a pivotal point in ones efforts where some efforts just don't make a markable difference to the task at hand anymore and i wonder is that one of those times? genuinely.

i once had the opportunity to interview one of the MD's of Wurth HQ in Germany through college. it was a rushed affair and we only got one question each, i said i'd ask "what's a good answer to when an employer asks you at an interview - what are your weaknesses"

and their response was, "tell them; i have a tendency to give 110% to everything i do, but sometimes i need to realise that 90% is enough, because sometimes the difference, makes no difference".

now i know they probably stole that from a poet or something, but my genuine question is, do you think the same thing could be said for the shampoo? could the human eye detect a diminishment to the LSP or whatever assuming that the paint condition below the product was 90% correct?

Can the human eye tell the difference? Yes...and no!

No, if it was washed and dried...the human eye will probably no be able to see the difference, but you may notice some smearing when drying.

Yes 100%, if after washing, drying it and it were to rain...the beading may been amazing, and after it, rubbish looking.
    Granted that doesn't affect protection but it does appear appearnace; in some people's books!

Sure, to a point there is a point of diminishing returns that apply to certain things. For example 20 layers of wax isn't going to be any more impressive than 2 or 3, we'll it may be slightly in terms of depth, but is it worth the effort of 17 more layers!!

But when something directly affects your hard work such as choosing a shampoo, it's just as easy to pick the right one!

I am going to give mine the first wash since applying the hydrO2. I guess the same applies regarding the wash and wax?

Yes, applying a shampoo with Wax in it will result in it being the top layer on the car. So the beading you are accustomed to seeing from the HydrO2, won't be the same. The HydrO2 will still remain underneath, unaffected, but the sharp shiny look may not be as impressive either!

What shampoo do you use?

Yes, applying a shampoo with Wax in it will result in it being the top layer on the car. So the beading you are accustomed to seeing from the HydrO2, won't be the same. The HydrO2 will still remain underneath, unaffected, but the sharp shiny look may not be as impressive either!

What shampoo do you use?

I have a Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax, Simonize Wash and Wax and Muc-Off Ubershine shampoo. I would tend towards the Ubershine as there is no mention of wax on the bottle.

• Advertisement

No familiar with the Muc-Off range; but since it's Ubershine, it may have enhancers in it.

Be no harm using any if you've nothing else! ;)

So far anyway it hasn't affected the beading, will see where it goes, I have 5 litres of it now anyway :pac:

Must make another order of you anyway Curran, what Shampoo would you recommend? Have you any large quantities available? Looking at getting Korrosol and TarX too.

Bilt Hamber Auto Wash is my current favourite.

Bilt Hamber are a company that spend their time in the labs creating excellent products; that do exactly what they say on the tin. They don't spend a huge amount on advertising, so you won't get marketing hype, nor flashy coloured or fancy fragrances; just a product that wI'll do the job and do it well.
    With notice; I can arrange larger sizes if needed.

Bilt Hamber Auto Wash is my current favourite.

Bilt Hamber are a company that spend their time in the labs creating excellent products; that do exactly what they say on the tin. They don't spend a huge amount on advertising, so you won't get marketing hype, nor flashy coloured or fancy fragrances; just a product that wI'll do the job and do it well.
    With notice; I can arrange larger sizes if needed.

How many washes would that bottle typically last?

The regular bottle is only 300ml, but dilution ratios are very good; 15 wouldn't be and issue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Long time at home use (1 or 2 cars) Had a couple bottles at home that's lasted best part of 3 years and still a couple wash's left. Small bottles but they only need a teaspoon/cap full each wash.

• Advertisement

Nicest wash I used over the past time was the Mr.Pink.
    Really nice slick feel to the wash and didn't affect the finish.
    I did try a bottle of KKV was which I received with other stuff. I tried it on my Octy combi. I did notice the difference afterwards. Beading was all but diminished.

As for Bilt Hamber,
    I havent used their wash but my current snow foam is Bilt hamber.
    Not great looking foam. No great long lasting Cling. But has excellent cleaning properties.

Prior to this I used Valet Pro ph neutral snow foam.
    Massive thick foam. Clung for ages. But nowhere near as good as the BH for cleaning.

i didn't really take it out of context, i directly quoted you.

i just think some of these things are a bit up in the air. like will that product really diminish his finish? how so? how is it measured? what product will react with what? or is it all anecdotal?

it's well known that there comes a pivotal point in ones efforts where some efforts just don't make a markable difference to the task at hand anymore and i wonder is that one of those times? genuinely.

i once had the opportunity to interview one of the MD's of Wurth HQ in Germany through college. it was a rushed affair and we only got one question each, i said i'd ask "what's a good answer to when an employer asks you at an interview - what are your weaknesses"

and their response was, "tell them; i have a tendency to give 110% to everything i do, but sometimes i need to realise that 90% is enough, because sometimes the difference, makes no difference".

now i know they probably stole that from a poet or something, but my genuine question is, do you think the same thing could be said for the shampoo? could the human eye detect a diminishment to the LSP or whatever assuming that the paint condition below the product was 90% correct?

Wrong on both points there.

Anyone that thinks the extra effort makes no difference should stick to a sponge and bucket and a bottle of €2 wax from the local discount store

And on point 2..!!

How the hell can 90% be as good as 110%????

Take Brian in spirit detailing fro instance.

If he only put 90% effort and enthusiasm into his work do you honestly think he would be as respected as he is?

or I Lewis Hamilton only gave it 90% instead of the 110% he constantly gives. Would he be wdc 3 times over?

I think not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I have always found everyone on these motor threads great for info, tips and help and really appreciate it all.

I don't get why there are certain ones coming on having a go?????

I give info and tips myself where and when I can but no where near as good as some on here.

vectra wrote: »
    Wrong on both points there.

Anyone that thinks the extra effort makes no difference should stick to a sponge and bucket and a bottle of €2 wax from the local discount store

And on point 2..!!

How the hell can 90% be as good as 110%????

Take Brian in spirit detailing fro instance.

If he only put 90% effort and enthusiasm into his work do you honestly think he would be as respected as he is?

or I Lewis Hamilton only gave it 90% instead of the 110% he constantly gives. Would he be wdc 3 times over?

I think not.

it's clear in most nearly every aspect of any job that needs to be done on the face of this earth that there is a pivotal point where additional effort doesn't reap extra benefit. how do you know Brian in spirit detailing isn't only giving 90%? of course he's never going to admit to it and i'm not trying to say his work isn't excellent, but most times, giving 110% is only really feasible when a person has no necessity to regard one of the 3 key elements time, resources or gain, particularly when running a business.

of course on point 2, it's a somewhat whimsical expression, but it's just adhering to the above principal, that with most things we do in life, we have a finite amount of time and resources and there is only a maximum amount of gain to be extracted from any particular task and that sometimes exerting maximum time or maximum resource doesn't equate maximum gain, because sometimes the time or resource itself is the gain.

even to elaborate on a point Curran made earlier.

- 1 coat of LSP applied, 1 hour, 70%, looks good, will wear well
    - 3 coats of LSP applied, 3 hours 90%, looks fantastic, will last that little bit longer which makes all the difference
    - 20 coats of LSP applied, 2 working days, 110% effort, looks about as good as 3 coats and probably won't last much longer, cost you 2 days of your life and 4 bottle of product and a bale of microfibres, 110% cost you more than you gained...

there just comes a point where going the extra mile doesn't count for anything anymore.

now don't just think, "i love detailing, i must get my back up and reply with "wrong" because that's all i can think of" but actually think on the principles of the points at hand. but it's nice to see the "wrong" mindset is as alive and well in here as i had assumed.

Dont take this the wrong way, but I just feel the need to reply :)

Firstly, its impossible to give 110%

Secondly, you are mixing up 90% vs 100% effort, with the laws of diminishing returns.
    If I were to train for a marathon - and go by a training plan, say every 2nd day going for a run; Im going to run 'x' time on the day of the race.
    If I were to run everyday leading up to the race; that may not really effect my time on the day....and perhaps might hinder it.
    If I were to give 90% effort on the day of the race, my time is going to be worst than if I gave 100% - FOR SURE
    now don't just think, "i love detailing, i must get my back up and reply with "wrong" because that's all i can think of" but actually think on the principles of the points at hand.

If find that most on here will explain why they say something is wrong, rather than just feeling the need to say it.
    but it's nice to see the "wrong" mindset is as alive and well in here as i had assumed.

Thats a bit narrowed minded, dont you think? I mean, nobody is right 100% of the time, especially if, by are giving 90% of their effort, is just as good as giving 100%.

• Advertisement
Advertisement