Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Curran wrote: »
    Dont take this the wrong way, but I just feel the need to reply :)

Firstly, its impossible to give 110%

"wrong".

apparently Brian in Spirit Detailing and Louis Hamilton are giving 110% the whole time, unless vectra is wrong.
    vectra wrote: »

How the hell can 90% be as good as 110%????

Take Brian in spirit detailing fro instance.

If he only put 90% effort and enthusiasm into his work do you honestly think he would be as respected as he is?

or I Lewis Hamilton only gave it 90% instead of the 110% he constantly gives. Would he be wdc 3 times over?

I think not.

absolutely i agree with you though, nobody is right 100% of the time, or even half that :pac:.

i just would love to have the time to tot up a cost/time/benefit analysis on the original scenario of the potentially unsuitable shampoo/ lsp combo from a discussional point of view, that's pretty much all i'm getting at. that sometimes, some things really don't make a difference of note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Well on the 110%, did you take the opportunity to stop the Wurth MD in his tracks when he mentioned it?
    Vectra was just using the analogy that you first mentioned.
    i just would love to have the time to tot up a cost/time/benefit analysis on the original scenario of the potentially unsuitable shampoo/ lsp combo from a discussional point of view, that's pretty much all i'm getting at. that sometimes, some things really don't make a difference of note.

Well while I agree with you on the sometimes, some things dont make a difference.....I dont see why you would need to tot up a cost/time/benefit analysis on the shampoo, when, if buying the correct shampoo in the first place, would nullify your need to do it.
    In some cases, yes a shampoo will affect LSP, and in this instance while it wont affect the performance of the LSP, it will change how certain aspects of the LSP perform.....which to you, are deemed as "really dont make a difference of note", but to others, it may do.

So while you feel that there was no need for someone to say that a Wash and Wax shampoo would not be the ideal choice, others would, and others might be glad they have seen it being brought up, so they know there may be a better option for when they are choosing their next shampoo purchase. As I said previously, there is nothing wrong with using it, just that perhaps there is a better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

it's clear in most nearly every aspect of any job that needs to be done on the face of this earth that there is a pivotal point where additional effort doesn't reap extra benefit. how do you know Brian in spirit detailing isn't only giving 90%? of course he's never going to admit to it and i'm not trying to say his work isn't excellent, but most times, giving 110% is only really feasible when a person has no necessity to regard one of the 3 key elements time, resources or gain, particularly when running a business.

of course on point 2, it's a somewhat whimsical expression, but it's just adhering to the above principal, that with most things we do in life, we have a finite amount of time and resources and there is only a maximum amount of gain to be extracted from any particular task and that sometimes exerting maximum time or maximum resource doesn't equate maximum gain, because sometimes the time or resource itself is the gain.

even to elaborate on a point Curran made earlier.

- 1 coat of LSP applied, 1 hour, 70%, looks good, will wear well
    - 3 coats of LSP applied, 3 hours 90%, looks fantastic, will last that little bit longer which makes all the difference
    - 20 coats of LSP applied, 2 working days, 110% effort, looks about as good as 3 coats and probably won't last much longer, cost you 2 days of your life and 4 bottle of product and a bale of microfibres, 110% cost you more than you gained...

there just comes a point where going the extra mile doesn't count for anything anymore.

now don't just think, "i love detailing, i must get my back up and reply with "wrong" because that's all i can think of" but actually think on the principles of the points at hand. but it's nice to see the "wrong" mindset is as alive and well in here as i had assumed.

I can assure you Brian is a dedicated detailer and would never give only 90% to any job.

Lets give another example

I recently put a glass coating on my car and wheels,
    Had i only given 90% detail to preparation and application it would be nothing short of a waste on time and a mess in the end result.
    Now because i did apply it properly I can reap the benefits of having a car that is much easier to clean and maintain,
    I am glad I give 100% to every aspect of cleaning my car.
    Then again
    this brings us back to the original suggestion of the difference between a weekend warrior and a person that wants their cars cleaned properly/

Washed the car today
    Update on Carpro thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97584864&postcount=37

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

No familiar with the Muc-Off range; but since it's Ubershine, it may have enhancers in it.

Be no harm using any if you've nothing else! ;)

We use the Muc-off Caravan and Motorhome cleaner and its excellent on the Motorhome body. Dilute it as a Shampoo or used neat on the stubbern black water marks that every Motorhome gets from standing in the rain. It was recommended by the main dealer when we bought ours.

As for the rest of the range I have no first hand experience, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Quick clean today while the weather was nice, wasn't too bad anyway:

20151102_143418_zps6hahglqn.jpg

2 Foams and a QD later:

IMG_20151102_150021_zpsnopv2s3c.jpg

IMG_20151102_163014_zpsnoaajwaf.jpg

20151102_163055_zpsfbe149wv.jpg

20151102_163106_zps2b2wyaix.jpg

20151102_163128_zpsxnqxenid.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Went to go wash the car - no hose :( One of the father in-laws workers must have borrowed it and its perfect washing weather too! Hasnt been done in few weeks :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Car got long over due wash was filthy!
    Before:
    IMAG1129_zpsdktlaosg.jpg

After 2 bm wash,de tar 1 coat of collanite 845 and polished the windows and dressed the tyres!
    IMAG1134_zpshbhpiz8f.jpg

I also had a helper today!
    IMAG1131_zpsfypeva86.jpg
    IMG-20151107-WA0000_zpswh5t5dfo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

Gavman84 wrote: »
    Car got long over due wash was filthy!
    Before:
    IMAG1129_zpsdktlaosg.jpg

After 2 bm wash,de tar 1 coat of collanite 845 and polished the windows and dressed the tyres!
    IMAG1134_zpshbhpiz8f.jpg

I also had a helper today!
    IMAG1131_zpsfypeva86.jpg
    IMG-20151107-WA0000_zpswh5t5dfo.jpg

What's do you use for de tar?

I use d and d tar remover from the lads here in cork. Great stuff just spray on wipe off much easier.

• Advertisement

I found their Tar Remover very good too, must get another bottle actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Dirty focus eh????

I'll show ye a dirty focus. 2.5 weeks of dirt........

I'll let it go another week before I do it. Inside is cleaned every week though. Can not stand a dirty or messy interior.

Most of ye probably will drop with the sight of it!!

2qw0bh2.png

rc55ip.png

2vt5ox2.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Gave the Corolla the quickest clean of its life today (took less than 2 hours).

The greyish-blue colour really does hide the dirt well, but the alloys were a state - looked worse in person!

Came out pretty decent if you ask me though.. Pity it will be as dirty again next weekend! :p

IMG_4737_zpsapxlnhqk.jpg

IMG_4761_zps2qe74ebk.jpg

Maybe I'll post a few meaningful pics. Recently did the inside of this. Vacuumed all the seats, curtains, luggage rails etc. Washed and shined the floor, cleaned all the glass and rubbed down the dash. In fair nick for 20 years old.

25anmo7.png

347k682.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I hope the hedgehog wasnt used on the bodywork, awful rough surface to be drying the car with :D

A question that crossed my mind yesterday... When do you cross the line from washing to detailing?
    Cheers
    Mick

Mc Love wrote: »
    I hope the hedgehog wasnt used on the bodywork, awful rough surface to be drying the car with :D
    Hedgehogs are the new sponge! Great for the stubborn marks!

A question that crossed my mind yesterday... When do you cross the line from washing to detailing?
    Cheers
    Mick

For me it's when you start doing the details, clay barring the car, De-Tarring and really doing all the nooks and crannies. Doing steps like paint correction, sealing, waxing etc would come into it then.

Cheers
    Mick

For me that time comes when you wash your car and then spot something you missed. Then you do that and spot something else.
    After that you start looking at the finer details that never bothered you before. Then you look at you arsenal of cleaning products and you suddenly realise you have got the bug. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

3 weeks of crap on the 330d. Makes the cleaning all the better though!

Pre-wash foam with AS G101 & AG Pressure wash, washed with AG Shampoo & conditioner, G101 for the wheels and arches, dried with Demon Shine and then Megs Endurance on tyres and trim to finish off. Not bad!

12219620_10153943929905579_4269259861150290976_n.jpg

^^ They are the ones a person gets a lot of satisfaction from.

Good job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

New car like, great job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Only 3 weeks for that to happen ? Where do you work on a building site ?

It would take me a year for mine to get that bad and I drive to work most days on back roads :pac:

It would take me a year for mine to get that bad and I drive to work most days on back roads :pac:

Where do you work?? At the neighbours house? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Only 3 weeks for that to happen ? Where do you work on a building site ?

Honestly I don't know how it got so dirty! I do about 40 miles a day, almost all back roads. A lot of them were fierce dirty lately with farmwork and at times the driving may have been enthusiastic on greasy roads but I still don't understand how it ended up so bad :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Where do you work?? At the neighbours house? :pac:

I wish :D

Did a few small bits to a Polo for my friend before he sells it, small correction on the door and bonnet and headlight restoration.

Half the door clayed:

20151111_151417_zpswvawkf0b.jpg

This is what I was dealing with:

20151111_151135_zpsjtxpvx24.jpg

50/50:

20151111_152940_zpsu44fncdl.jpg

The finished panel:

20151111_160931_zpsom4zkwif.jpg

Headlights Before:

20151111_161915_zpshtzqzjbp.jpg

After:

20151111_164329_zpscqxhab2y.jpg

20151111_164335_zpse9z2rpjl.jpg

Happy out with those jobs! Forgot to get pictures on the bonnet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Gotta love German paint. That's actually a really nice colour and came up well

Well done man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

2 weeks ago my sister bought this car from a family member. He's an old man so didn't really give a crap about the car but the paint was badly oxidized with no reflection in it whatsoever so I had the job of improving it. No before pics as I was fighting the darkness to get it done.

22573869899_0cb171a138_c.jpg

22966038485_54013c78ec_c.jpg

It now looks as good as its mileage (25,000 kms :eek: ) so she'll have it for a good few years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

2 weeks ago my sister bought this car from a family member. He's an old man so didn't really give a crap about the car but the paint was badly oxidized with no reflection in it whatsoever so I had the job of improving it. No before pics as I was fighting the darkness to get it done.

It now looks as good as its mileage (25,000 kms :eek: ) so she'll have it for a good few years to come.

WOW!!!

• Advertisement

Cracking job!! Always a great feeling when you reveal a hidden gem!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

Gave the Corolla the quickest clean of its life today (took less than 2 hours).

The greyish-blue colour really does hide the dirt well, but the alloys were a state - looked worse in person!

Came out pretty decent if you ask me though.. Pity it will be as dirty again next weekend! :p

The body colour and wheel colour go together really well I think. Looks great. It's a shame you're getting rid of it :o

Made a start on the Imola Red 5 today, christ I've never done a car so dirty, 2 hours claying it alone!

Here it was to start:

20151112_144354_zpszco7jqz6.jpg

20151112_144340_zpsli0drvzz.jpg

The tools for the job:

20151112_145240_zpsqtmej3ej.jpg

Fallout working away:

20151112_152351_zps5lnepjew.jpg

20151112_152357_zpscna7l1tn.jpg

There was some tar on the car :pac:

20151112_161047_zpswldiqdgr.jpg

20151112_161404_zpsrehvmkms.jpg

There was an alloy behind the brake dust:

20151112_154031_zpsbevawfue.jpg

How she sat before claying:

20151112_164412_zps9w7abau4.jpg

Clay bar after a quarter of a door :eek:

20151112_165507_zpsxgwn5jud.jpg

As I left her tonight, drivers side stage 1 done:

20151112_204236_zpsbvl2fefx.jpg

20151112_213405_zps3spnapbe.jpg

My process for those interested:
    • Pre-cleanse lower panels with 2D Pre Cleaner using a pressure sprayer.
    • Rinse.
    • Snow Foam - 2D Snow Foam
    • Rinse.
    • 2 Bucket Wash - 2D Shampoo and Wax
    • Fallout Remover - 50.Cal Fallout Decon
    • Rinse.
    • Clean Wheels - 50.Cal Wheel Cleaner and Detailing Brush.
    • Clean Tyres - 50.Cal Wheel Cleaner and Detailing Brush.
    • De Tar Body and Wheels - 2D Tar Remover.
    • Rinse
    • Tyre Shine - 50.Cal Stealth
    • Clay Barred - Meguiars Clay Bar and small shampoo and water mix in pressure sprayer.
    • Dried - 50.Cal QD, drying towel/Microfibre
    • Drivers side was given Stage 1 machine polish - 2D Yellow Pad, Menzerna PF300.

Will be continuing the polishing process tomorrow, hope to finish the first stage. Will post pictures of the final product in a few days :)

That red is going to come up like a gem, you can see it already!

That red is going to come up like a gem, you can see it already!

Yeah I'm really looking forward to seeing it finished. Honestly, it'll still need a respray and that's a future plan but now, respray the rear bumper and replace the front would do me fine, would be very happy to be seen in it.

Hoping to make it a 4ft car from the polish, if you know what I mean.

Tthat is a lot of contamination on the clay bar, given you de-tar'd and de-ironed prior to it....especially for just one quarter of a panel!!

By the looks of it, if it had the bits done that need paint, its already a 5-6ft car! :)

Tthat is a lot of contamination on the clay bar, given you de-tar'd and de-ironed prior to it....especially for just one quarter of a panel!!

By the looks of it, if it had the bits done that need paint, its already a 5-6ft car! :)

That was only one of the few photos I got of the clay.... I'd say this car never saw a polish or wax in its life :P

That was only one of the few photos I got of the clay.... I'd say this car never saw a polish or wax in its life :P

Ok so I've washed clayed and waxed but never used polish.. What am I missing out on?

Not missing out on anything if your car doesn't need it. Assuming a car is never washed poorly or subject to any sort of damage, it would never need polishing, assuming it never got oxidised.

Polishing is effectively like exfoliating a thin layer of the clear coat to reveal a fresher surface (a shinier, glossier, surface), using abrasives.
    By hand minimal removal of clear coat occurs but enough to remove very light damage or oxidisation. In fact it's more about the fillers in the hand polish, filling / hiding defects as a temporary solution.
    By machine a thin layer is removed and the result is permanent; and won't need it again unless further damage is inflicted.

There is no perfect wash technique. Minimal damage will always occur, but it's limiting this damage as much as possible, will dictate the time between needing to polish.

It's no weather to be washing a car, had aimed to get 2 done this weekend, had to settle for doing 1, the worst of the 2. Just a quick 2BM wash. Scrubbed all the old tyre shine off the tyres and left them as they are, no point putting tyre shine on.

35lt1mu.png

2v00rys.png

256ydd0.png

• Advertisement

Another bit done to the project:

20151116_195552_zpsjritlriy.jpg

20151116_195558_zpsty3xozy4.jpg

20151116_195604_zpspkpxytyw.jpg

20151116_202905_zpsi8ygfobj.jpg

20151116_202909_zpshxa0tcgh.jpg

20151116_202918_zpsgjoftxvm.jpg

Looking to get the body finished this week. But I tend to be lazy :pac:

Looking to get the body finished this week. But I tend to be lazy

The engine compartment is such a cnut to do. Sometimes I say right I'll tackle this, then after about 5 seconds I anger myself and say t'fcuk with it. Can never get in the little crevices right.

The engine compartment is such a cnut to do. Sometimes I say right I'll tackle this, then after about 5 seconds I anger myself and say t'fcuk with it. Can never get in the little crevices right.

AutoGlym's Engine Degreaser, a Detail Brush, an old Microfibre and the power hose makes short work, makes a massive improvement.

I want to give the Golf a polish over the weekend, just to get a few light swirl marks out. What should be the correct procedure to do so? I'll be using CarPlan T-Cut.

Would I be right in saying -
    Wash the car to get any dirt off
    Dry the car
    Apply polish
    Wipe off polish
    Wax(?)

Thats essentially the process. You have the order right.

One step that I always recommend as being worth doing is claying the paintwork; to removed bonded contamination that regular washing will not remove. The change it makes to the appearance of the car, is as effective as polishing. Doing both would obviously give fantastic results too.
    Another step worth considering is the de-tar.

But if you are looking for a quick and easy improvement to the appearance, then you've got it right!

You'll have a tough time even removing light swirls hand polishing but claying the car followed by something like Super Resin Polish and a decent wax would do wonders in covering them at least.

I want to give the Golf a polish over the weekend, just to get a few light swirl marks out. What should be the correct procedure to do so? I'll be using CarPlan T-Cut.

Would I be right in saying -
    Wash the car to get any dirt off
    Dry the car
    Apply polish
    Wipe off polish
    Wax(?)

So after 3 hours of polishing, it came out quite well. I have to wax the car tomorrow along with going at the plastic trimmings, tyres, windows and interior. I took off the number plates after I polished and was about to put on the new ones but realised I left the double-sided tape at work :o will report back tomorrow.

IMG_0098_zpsrar55vbk.jpg

Great shine off that even before wax!

Great shine off that even before wax!

Yeah I was surprised getting that result just from washing the car with Fairy Liquid and then giving it T-Cut, I just got a snap of it before I closed the shed door so maybe it looks better in the dusk! :pac:

Hopefully I'll get the rest of it done tomorrow. All I'll have to do then is fit the spoiler and fit the new radio, and Im in no rush to do either of them just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Gave the car a scrub yesterday.

In this order...
    • Fairy liquid clean to remove wax
    • Clay bar
    • Shampoo wash (just to test my new snow foam lance) :)
    • Dry
    • Wax using Collinite 845
    • Dressed the tyres with 50. Cal wet tyre dressing
    • Cleaned windows with 50 Cal window cleaner

Last time I forgot to take pictures, this time I forgot to take the before picture but the car was pretty manky beforehand.

20151121_154448_zpscau8ulwj.jpg

Advertisement