Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

Mc Love wrote: »
    Thats some amount of typing for a phone!

yep took me about 20mins. I had no way to put the photos up other than useing my phone so i did not have much of a choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Washed the chariot yesterday,
    Put a coat of Britemax Vantage on it
    Put another coat of Collinite 845 on the wheels
    Dressed the tyres with Chemical Guys Tyre and trim gel
    Cleaned all glass.
    Cleaned and sealed all door shuts with carlack 68.

And took no pics LOL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

no pics???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

[quote="fanadman1sorry i the typed it all up on my phone never thought[/quote]

Epic phone post :-) great results on the car and a great man cave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

MAJJ wrote: »
    Epic phone post :-) great results on the car and a great man cave!

great man cave :-P thats one of 3 and the small one :-P god I love the fact that my father is in commercial transport :-) never been to a machinic because I have all the tools needed and can chance things myself . thanks very much btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Mc Love wrote: »
    no pics???

Pics slow you down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Been quite a while since I posted anything as I've not done anything too major in the last few months (I blame the new Mrs Dar, but she's probably worth it...:p ) but I gave the car a bit of Autumn preparation at the weekend. Foam wash, regular wash, dry, clay, foam wash, regular wash, dry, paint cleaner, polish, 2 coats of wax.

Funnily enough only have one picture of the final product and not from the best of angles, but you get the idea.

dlwe.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

I see a really clean car. I get the idea.
    Looks great.

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I need to wash my car. Wont be this weekend, and might not be the weekend after! Sucks not having a) any of my car cleaning stuff in Dublin and b) a place to wash my car in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

dar83 wrote: »

Funnily enough only have one picture of the final product and not from the best of angles, but you get the idea.

Funny enough - it looks meh! :rolleyes:

:p

*cries*

*cries*

Awwwhhh - it looks OK, I suppose!!

Nahh - tis savage! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Hi all I hope my photos come out okay.

I took some pictures of my Octavia VRs before and after and spent 8 hours on the 1st day and 5 on the 2nd I was needing sleep after that, I had always spent hours cleaning inside and out but never had a go at the detailing end of it and I was pleased with the results for my 1st attempt.

I have noticed bits where I can improve on and missed out on taking pictures of the complete job as the rain came and have had to drive in it which really ate me up inside:pac:

I started with taking the wheels off and using Auto Glym wheel cleaner which done a decent job and then used some AG tar cleaner which got the heavy stuff off.

Then I used the new addition I bought for putting the shampoo on and covered the car, which I done 5 times over the process with the karcher washer. Then of course Jet washed it all over and in under the arches and under the car.

I got a spray polish which my friend told me about to use with a clay bar that can be used on around 60 cars it is a sponge and has the clay part on the other side it had the paint the smoothest I have ever felt.

Then when everything was ready I sealed the wheels with brake and dust repellent and waxed the car with Ice Turtle Wax and polished the windows with AG window now I understand some of the stuff I may have used wouldn't be up to professional standard maybe I could make some additions that some of you may recommend.
    Hopefully not to long a post for all of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Where's the afters:P

I don't know how to get the photos to come up on screen and also it only lets me add on 5 so here are some more of the cleaning and I will get a go at it again and show the polish finish.

• Advertisement

And the rest;)

Plus this last fitting sparkle from the Octavia silver badge.

I hope to do a better job next time and hope with what I have done it will make it a little easier to keep her looking her best.

I love the water beading and collecting on the roof and bonnet it looks stunning.

Super job on the vRS
    Hard to believe it is 7 year old.

About 2 months ago I polished and waxed my car. With all the dry weather and the fact im in an underground car park alot ive never got much beading shots. Until now.

IMAG0639.jpg
    IMAG0638.jpg

Thats 2 months after its last waxing. Very impressed.

About 2 months ago I polished and waxed my car. With all the dry weather and the fact im in an underground car park alot ive never got much beading shots. Until now.

Thats 2 months after its last waxing. Very impressed.

and the wax of choice was?

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    and the wax of choice was?

Very effective :cool:

Had to go digging out emails there. It was pretty much the first thing I spent proper money on detailing so I didnt really know what to. Britemax - Vantage Wax is the stuff anyways. Cleancar used to sell it.

Had to go digging out emails there. It was pretty much the first thing I spent proper money on detailing so I didnt really know what to. Britemax - Vantage Wax is the stuff anyways. Cleancar used to sell it.

Have that and love it
    Did you get the bottle of Britemax Black max with it?
    Does a super job on black.

Beady update from me also. Not quite two months, more like three days... :pac:

z22.JPG

twzl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

What defines good beading lads?

Smaller the better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Slattsy wrote: »
    What defines good beading lads?

When there's lots of small uniform droplets like on dar's car. Not something like this:

6350179-water-drops-on-a-silver-metallic-car-roof.jpg

Beady update from me also. Not quite two months, more like three days... :pac:

Is that IBM?

Is that IBM?

Nope it's my car. :pac:

But no, it's not. :)

Nope it's my car. :pac:

But no, it's not. :)

Well aren't we all very smart here. Nice beading btw.

Super job on the vRS
    Hard to believe it is 7 year old.

Thanks very much Vectra you have yours looking very well among some of the other car's I seen you put up. It is in fairly good shape but is badly damaged on drivers side with door, wing, mirror, alloy and bumper. Was run of the road by a transit and still waiting for to go to court to get paid to fix her.

You probably notice I didn't put up too many driver side and front together as it takes all the hard work away from what I done;)

How do I get the photos to come up on the post I like the way when your scrolling down the pictures are there and don't have to link in.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much Vectra you have yours looking very well among some of the other car's I seen you put up. It is in fairly good shape but is badly damaged on drivers side with door, wing, mirror, alloy and bumper. Was run of the road by a transit and still waiting for to go to court to get paid to fix her.

You probably notice I didn't put up too many driver side and front together as it takes all the hard work away from what I done;)

How do I get the photos to come up on the post I like the way when your scrolling down the pictures are there and don't have to link in.

Damn.
    Hope you get sorted ok.

This is one way of posting pics

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76078052&postcount=4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Nothing fancy just a quick wash with ONR, need to do a proper job over the next few weeks.

A66F860C4AB0451F9C75326619F67D39-0000367193-0003373688-00800L-52C4EDEBC54146258A9BD301FDB37F01.jpg

Managed to curb a wheel last week, I know it doesn't look bad but I'm pissed with myself for doing it.

072C36079FC14472889709F720627C0E-0000367193-0003373685-00800L-BB5E7EA814C447ACADE822F01B782238.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Today I washed, clayed and waxed the CLK. THis is a picture of the clay after doing about a 2 foot x 1 foot square on the boot lid, as you can see it badly needed to be done!
    A0273652FED243BD88BE7C3FB1D828D7-0000363222-0003373956-00800L-9F43C38D1BBD48DBACCD410083C0946C.jpg

Once it was clayed I waxed the whole car with Bilt Hamber Auto Balm. Holy crap the damage you can hide with it is incredible! really made the car look excellent:)

Here's an example:

Le before
    0EC17C7CC28C4FC9B3B922CAECBEE7CB-0000363222-0003373957-01024L-42548B7D360D4CF7B5F9E95EE3E3C52C.jpg

and after
    D8002BB2A9F44F6781F2A83EFCF01141-0000363222-0003373949-01024L-A3FBFBCD04D9435C96A35B5353D43600.jpg

You can still see the scratch but I think you'll all agree it is an amazing improvement :)

I'll have to wait and see how long it'll last

EDIT: See after pics here

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭JFKIRELAND

IMG_2871.jpg
    Sonax ProfiLine Polymer NetShield & Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

JFKIRELAND wrote: »
    IMG_2871.jpg

Hmmmm that bonnet looks familiar :P

I thought you might spot some of those chips alright!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Applied Orchard Autocare Hyrophobe Pro today.

Supposedly good for over 12 months.

Looking forward to some rain now. Used less than half the bottle doing the windscreen twice and all the rest once.

Bit of info on it here

BgQEj4Jl.jpg

3gkVXz2l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

JFKIRELAND wrote: »

Where did you get the Sonax stuff?

I really want to try the Brilliant Shine Detailer but anywhere I look that stock it have sky high postage to Ireland.

Ordered Gtechniq C2v3 during the week so it will keep me going for a while :)

Hi,
    Ordered the sonax from http://www.carparts-tuning.co.uk/.
    I bought a few things so postage was ok. Shipping was good though.
    I had got wolfs hard body, then Gtecniq c1.5. But I'm happy with the sonax stuff, just a little hard to put on correctly.
    Cheers
    JK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Thanks for that.

Had a look there, postage is €15.90 to Ireland so you would need to be getting a lot of stuff to make it worth while, and I'm pretty well kitted out at the moment. Mainly wanted to try it because of what I read on Detailing World about it. They do mention it isn't as slick to apply compared to other QDs, but the results and the durability really look the extra bit of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭S Connor

Hi. Any advice on 3G glass coat car protection? Supposed to protect both inside and outside of car for at least 5 years and comes with a 5 year guarantee. No need to wax car during this time just run it through cheapest car wash programme. Reanult dealer charging €300 for it. Would love to hear from anyone who has it on their car.

Just used most of a tube of Autosol on the exhaust tip. I'd say there was 9 years of dirt there so I used some rough wire wool, then some fine and finished up with an old microfiber, now the exhaust is allot cleaner but I can't get it shiny, any tips?

Wire wool should have done the job....what grade did you use? Should be using the finest grade, usually 0000 Grade on the packaging.

Not sure of the grade, was just a pack of assorted wool, coarse, medium and fine, I'll get some 0000 tomorrow and have another go.

I assume that the tip is supposed to be shiny? Some tips arent shiny originally and you wont get it shiny if it isnt!

• Advertisement

I think so, I'm sure I've seen other IS200's with polished tips, unless the weren't standard exhausts.

dylbert wrote: »
    I think so, I'm sure I've seen other IS200's with polished tips, unless the weren't standard exhausts.

Is it chrome tips or stainless?
    if chrome
    You may not get them shiny as the chrome may be worn off
    If stainless then I'd say clean is as good as it would get.

Is it chrome tips or stainless?
    if chrome
    You may not get them shiny as the chrome may be worn off
    If stainless then I'd say clean is as good as it would get.

Had another look, I'd say it stainless, seems to have a textured matt finish so will probably never polish to a shine but it looks 100 times better than it did.

I was in Tesco's earlier and had a look for some Daisy APC, couldnt find any, all the had was Tesco's own brand APC, will that do the same job? and what concentration should I use to wash the car?

dylbert wrote: »
    Had another look, I'd say it stainless, seems to have a textured matt finish so will probably never polish to a shine but it looks 100 times better than it did.

I was in Tesco's earlier and had a look for some Daisy APC, couldnt find any, all the had was Tesco's own brand APC, will that do the same job? and what concentration should I use to wash the car?

Tescos own brand should do fine.
    I use Aldi's stuff. Lovely stron lemon smell from it.
    I would normally use 1 capfull to half dish of water to wipe down the interior of my car. Keep's it nice and fresh.

Was planning on using some as a prewash before tardis iron x and claying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement