Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Just wondering whats the usual delivery time from detailing shed, said it was dispatched Friday - Tomorrow/Tuesday? Couriers always ring at like 8 in the morning :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Cheers man, would be the summer before I'd get a proper chance to lash into it. With the results it gives I can see how it can become addictive!

No problem man whenever you want it its there unless you get one :)
    It's great seeing the change from before and after!

Just wondering whats the usual delivery time from detailing shed, said it was dispatched Friday - Tomorrow/Tuesday? Couriers always ring at like 8 in the morning :mad:

Detailingshed is dead fast, tomorrow I would reckon, can't wait for my own delivery tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Would be usually the next day when I order with detailing shed so I would think it will be out for delivery to you in the morning.

YbFocus wrote: »
    Detailingshed is dead fast, tomorrow I would reckon, can't wait for my own delivery tomorrow!

Child at Christmas kind of job, want to get one car done before the weather breaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Child at Christmas kind of job, want to get one car done before the weather breaks.

I'd be the same myself ordered a load of of stuff for the car in Jan+Feb getting ready for March as its usually a very slow month in work.

What happens the boss decides he needs a holiday gone off for a month I'm on 6 days till next month.

The weather better be good the first week of April haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Noccy I can guarantee you you'll have your order tomorrow ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Was given a handy project to work on for the last two weeks, only able to spend one day at the weekends at it so only got it done today!

IMG_20160312_151827_zpss0biffo7.jpg

IMG_20160312_151857_zpshhglhhxp.jpg

IMG_20160312_151835_zpshvkgmvym.jpg

IMG_20160312_173608_zpsljzfy5nd.jpg

IMG_20160312_174509_zpsqvrmxrea.jpg

Midway:

IMG_20160312_180643_zpsaku2drhp.jpg

Finished Product:

IMG_20160320_170136_zps4raqdvtb.jpg

IMG_20160320_170143_zpsjqen8xry.jpg

IMG_20160320_170151_zpsvm6tgik7.jpg

IMG_20160320_170237_zpscczxdg5x.jpg

Exterior:

IMG_20160320_170301_zpsvwoc43qa.jpg

IMG_20160320_170315_zpst5yfx8m6.jpg

IMG_20160320_170327_zpsz5oobhrf.jpg

IMG_20160320_170343_zpsbedevdbl.jpg

IMG_20160320_170355_zpsgzujgozj.jpg

Exterior procedure:

Snow Foam with Kleen Freaks and a thorough rinse down
    Wheels and Tyres cleaned with 2D Wheel Cleaner
    2 Bucket Wash with 2D Shampoo
    De-Tarred with 2D Annihilate Tar Remover
    De-Ironed with Kleen Freaks Iron Remover
    Clay Barred
    Compounded with Chemical Guys V32 on an Orange Hex Logic Pad
    Polished with Menzerna PF2200 on a 2D White Diamond Glide Pad
    Waxed with Chemical Guys Butter Wax
    Exterior Trims and Tyres dressed with Chemical Guys Tyre and Trim.

Interior:

Seats removed
    All plastics and door jambs cleaned with a strong dilution Kleen Freaks APC
    Carpet brushed and Hoovered
    Seats APC'd and Wet Vac'd
    Dash Dressed with 50.Cal Interior Dressing
    Chemical Guys Stripper Scent
    Interior and Exterior Windows cleaned with Kleen Freaks Glass Cleaner.

That diablo red comes up like a peach when done. Love washing our old 206, so easy and quick to wash. That butternut wax seems to give great results, that's what I ordered, hopefully I can make it look as good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Have you got it yet! :P

• Advertisement

I got mine anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭leupold90

Or rather some detailing was done recently.
    Engine detail by Elite Autoclean in Blanchardstown. I didn't take ant before picture but they did a smashing job - engine bay is like new!

[IMG]http://[/img]20160317_112451.jpg

Great job FN! Is the glovebox trimmed in the same material as the seats or is it just totally discoloured????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Great job FN! Is the glovebox trimmed in the same material as the seats or is it just totally discoloured????

Sound, it's trimmed the same but also discolored :p

Curran wrote:
    Have you got it yet!

No I haven't actually ha!

All sorted. Out trying them out for the evening.

Time for some pictures I think. Well happy with the way it turned out, biceps are bulging too. Win win situation. I'll try to get to the focus tomorrow.

309rcw1.png

2w5kart.png

9fqomb.png

sypmo6.png

qozx35.png

294i8v8.png

afgeid.png

ixqx41.png

3hr9y.png

2vrzsw9.png

vq1oiw.png

Question, can you put p40 polish on trim? Got a small bit on yesterday, but it seemed to enhance it?

I wouldn't recommend it! Strange that it is enhancing it and not staining it.

Stayed away to be safe. While we're at it, suggestions for trim enhancer/restorer to give a fresh look to rub strips, mirror surrounds etc?

• Advertisement

Well there are three types...

Water based - often not very durable, easy to apply
    Oily / Gel type - messy to apply but more durable. If they aren't great, they'll often run and streak on the paintwork
    Nano - very durable but take a bit of effort to prep to get the most from them.

It's the tye of job you don't want to be doing often. It takes quite a bit of time to do and if you are doing it frequently it's painful.

If you want recommendations. If you prefer the traditional type; CarPro PERL. If you prefer the idea of do it once and not have to worry about it again for over a year; CarPro DLUX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I finally got around to cleaning my exhaust tips today. I bought by Mk6 GTi last November and before that I doubt the tips had been cleaned since the day it left the factory in 2011. They were absolutely filthy, completely black, baked in carbon.

Before:
    FC7CFA90-07F7-454F-A692-F8C2BFF576F9.jpg

After doing some research online I picked up some steel wool and Autosol metal polish and went to work as soon as I got home this evening. I used the steel wool in a bucket of warm soapy water and a heck of a lot of elbow grease.

After one pass with the steel wool (excuse my very dusty car):
    51a963c5-4af0-4b68-a885-23825a357724.jpg

After I got off the heaviest of the baked on carbon with the steel wool, I gave the tips a good going over with the Autosol which worked very nicely. Then I gave them a quick lick of AG Super Resin Polish and HD Wax for posterity.

They're not perfect, still some pitting, but they're heaps better than they were and it was very satisfying to get them shining again.

Voila!

55356b42-5e66-4c37-9842-df677188b3aa.jpg

8D195AD2-C9A9-43DA-A430-33EE90C371E6.jpg

Another day, another car, done this Tuesday, already dirty again :mad:

Great products, can see the difference the prep work makes!

No befores, just afters

Camera is crap quality, not that crisp.

2n6f49i.png

awpa3b.png

124zoso.png

1in5tx.png

f27uys.png

15hn67t.png

a0jhg3.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Dropped the car into D&D detailing for a ceramic coating and picked it up earlier. Fair play to them, the car was clean looking going in from a distance but there was a lot of fallout and the likes in the hard to get to places. Nothing was left unturned and I'm delighted with the results.

20160325_103052_zpshnof6nvv.jpg
    20160325_110148_zpszunsicwt.jpg
    20160325_110158_zpskiq8nmas.jpg
    20160325_110228_zpsafuiqa86.jpg
    20160325_110242_zpslpnhpdpx.jpg
    20160325_115919_zpslizvhmyr.jpg

Can't recommend D&D enough, whenever I've had work done by them it's been faultless and they've gone beyond the brief. They even took the plates off and did a rust repair where the dealers drilled through with the original plates and touched it up with matching paint. Little things like that make all the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Great job.
    Car is looking class.
    Now you just need to learn one thing. How to
    " Hold on to the car without chaging it every few months" :D

Did you get any after care products?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

vectra wrote: »
    Great job.
    Car is looking class.
    Now you just need to learn one thing. How to
    " Hold on to the car without chaging it every few months" :D

Did you get any after care products?

We'll see.

Nothing afterwards, just don't use any product on it for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

I had a few spare minutes this morning,gave it a quick wash,all products supplied by Curran,Ian in Elite done an excellent job on it for me before christmas you can see how bad it was on his facebook page!!!I'm not doing too bad maintaining the finish,I still have some collie 476s which is what I finished it with today,will be looking at getting a new wax shortly better suited to a darker car took these pics before I finished with the wax,I have it booked in to get the rears tinted next week,Original wheels needed a refurb ended up going for 19s instead not my 1st choice couldn't get them to fit but these are growing on me now,
    IMG_20160325_131038_zpssq3fzkgx.jpg
    IMG_20160325_131016_zps5gqqnsv3.jpg
    IMG_20160325_131105_zpssaxtd2zw.jpg
    IMG_20160325_131121_zpsvydup65o.jpg
    IMG_20160325_131138_zpsvragksck.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Just a follow up on the tackling of the parents motorhome with Collinite. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98978115&postcount=3987

The usual bugbearer of black streaks on coachbuilt motorhomes now just run off with your finger, whereas before a good rub of a cleaner & wash mitt was needed. It's cut down the time needed to wash it and Ma I think has changed her tune about myself and Da "wasting" most of a day doing the 'van.

Also, no detailing was done since then (so no posts), just basic washing, drying, wheels & tyres, glass & hoover.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭cnoc

Would anyone of you recommend or not recommend using a waxed car brush to clean off light dust on the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

cnoc wrote: »
    Would anyone of you recommend or not recommend using a waxed car brush to clean off light dust on the car.

No even the wiper blade type water clearers absolutely destroy paintwork.

cnoc wrote: »

No as you are dragging that dust around the paintwork as you try clean it.
    You are also using a brush which is a big no no.

You could try loads of quick detailer to lubricate, pat the dusty area with a MF cloth and then wipe with a fresh one.
    Other than that just give it a wash like everyone else :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

I brought this snowfaom today. Nice thick foam and good dwell time. Much thicker than the 50Cal

Avalance-Snowfoam-1lr-287x600.png

2016-03-31-1685.jpg

2016-03-31-1687.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭MarkN

So I've been watching the forecast this week and with a week off work, today was the day. Two things I've never used before - Meguiars water magnet microfibre and Farecla G3 clay mitt. I took advantage of the 2 for 3 offer in Halfords and got an Autoglym Tech car wheel brush but I'm not sure of the bristles on it.

Started off with the usual snow foam and two bucket wash using Meguiars NXT Generation shampoo. Dried it off and started the de-tarring. Nothing too harsh was present so it didn't take more than 20 minutes. The tar on the wheels didn't all come off but I have plans to get them refurbished down the road just so they match the condition of the paintwork. The exhaust tips really came up well from the stuff. Another snow foam and quick wash/rinse.

On to the clay mitt - I've used a bar many times and without doubt, the mitt is far far quicker. The paint was lovely and smooth so from that aspect, there's nothing to say the clay bar is better BUT it just felt wrong. Rubbing the same piece of clay over and over the car and not being able to knead it was strange. I kept dipping the mitt in soapy water to keep it wet but for the extra time involved, I think I'll go back to the old fashioned bar. Where does the tree sap etc go?!!!

Another quick wash and a final dry before the 50Cal went all over. All panels, glass and wheels were done. Left it to cure and off it came with a microfibre cloth. Very easy wax to buff off and in general, space grey is a great colour to work with as you can see the black tar spots, you can spot an area of wax you've missed etc

I'm not convinced that a microfibre is any quicker than an old fashioned chamois but nothing wrong with them either.

Quick splash of tyre dressing and 5 hours later she was done. Slightly sunburnt and I've sore arms but I enjoyed it too. Sadly it's going to whizz rain until Sunday. :(

25553900583_0e80022bae_z.jpg
    26156548555_bc2d50a843_z.jpg
    26156548615_bbdeb7abf3_z.jpg
    26130600886_fde9680bf2_z.jpg
    26130601076_c72033a773_z.jpg
    25553902213_84888615fa_z.jpg
    26130607396_ac97168a00_z.jpg
    26090211891_aa76ba3f1e_z.jpg
    25551781864_45029cf538_z.jpg
    26090216751_0d76c88741_z.jpg
    25553378864_df13c1b71c_z.jpg

Looks superb Mark - was never a fan of that generation 6er, but yours looks immense!

The 50Cal Penta wax is a nice soft paste wax, so is really easy to work with...looks like its done a lovely job, but as you say Space Grey is a cracking colour to start with.

Just on the microfiber -vs- old fashioned chamois; the move to the microfiber is certainly a better step, as the chamois will mark the paintwork, especially when it starts to get a little harder after a few uses. The Megs Microfiber isnt the most absorbent, if its the one Im thinking of, short pile with slightly longer pile to make the squared design on the surface? You probably found that you had to wring it out maybe 2 or 3 times. A good drying towel should dry the 6er without having to wring it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Curran wrote: »
    ..... was never a fan of that generation 6er.....
    What! heracy Dave....that's heracy!

• Advertisement

What! heracy Dave....that's heracy!

Compared to other BMWs, Id have it in a heart beat over 90% of other cars! :D

Looks superb Mark - was never a fan of that generation 6er, but yours looks immense!

The 50Cal Penta wax is a nice soft paste wax, so is really easy to work with...looks like its done a lovely job, but as you say Space Grey is a cracking colour to start with.

Just on the microfiber -vs- old fashioned chamois; the move to the microfiber is certainly a better step, as the chamois will mark the paintwork, especially when it starts to get a little harder after a few uses. The Megs Microfiber isnt the most absorbent, if its the one Im thinking of, short pile with slightly longer pile to make the squared design on the surface? You probably found that you had to wring it out maybe 2 or 3 times. A good drying towel should dry the 6er without having to wring it out.

Yep, a good few times. I had a look at the one on your site but sadly it was out of stock!

The Dry Me Crazy?
    Unfortunately we were a bit low in stock of them, so wanted the keep a few for in store - actually sold the last one yesterday evening, online, but it was part of a kit with other cloths.

CarPro Boa Drying Towel is getting rave reviews also; due in the coming days!

The Dry Me Crazy?
    Unfortunately we were a bit low in stock of them, so wanted the keep a few for in store - actually sold the last one yesterday evening, online, but it was part of a kit with other cloths.

CarPro Boa Drying Towel is getting rave reviews also; due in the coming days!

I will keep an eye out... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Great job Mark
    Car looks super glossy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

I'd recommend the dry me crazy over anything I've ever used,never have to wring it out one side for 1 half,flip over and get the other half of the car done,use an open hose first to sheet over the paintwork,well worth the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

MarkN wrote: »
    Autoglym Tech car wheel brush but I'm not sure of the bristles on it.

I'm not convinced that a microfibre is any quicker than an old fashioned chamois but nothing wrong with them either.

Great results well done. Buy yourself a set of wheel woollies & dry me crazy towel from detailingshed.

The Dry Me Crazy is incredible but the only thing is it's almost impossible to wring it out. I would pay for a small contraption with 2 rollers and a handle that you put the towel through to squeeze out the majority of the water.

1st world problems Metz? Two cars to wash in a day? :P Buy another towel! :D

But yes, they are quite hard to wring out, if you were hoping to wash two cars - it's a two person job to get the water to come back out of it, other than natural drying.

Metz after a days work on the cars....
    :D :P :D

article-2176971-1428136C000005DC-792_634x891.jpg

If you search your sales history you'll see I bought 3 of them from ya!

Jaysus I'm hot! Look at that handle-turning work......effortless :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I didn't have too much issues with mine, used it on 3 cars in a row.

Maybe you need bigger arms ... :p

What I normally do is use the DMC to remove excess and then give a spray of C2v3 and buff that which also buffs any small streaks. I do the whole drying step in one go and then hang up the DMC for the week (indoors) and it's dry in a few days.

I got into the habit of not sheeting excess water off due to the last bit of the car having dried and left water marks on the windows and paint when I did it a panel at a time. This was worse on warm days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I normally use the DMC and the Meguiars towel on the car. The Meguiars towel is good to finish off. As it was raining today while I was washing the car there was no drying done at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

cena wrote: »
    I brought this snowfaom today. Nice thick foam and good dwell time. Much thicker than the 50Cal

Avalance-Snowfoam-1lr-287x600.png

2016-03-31-1685.jpg

2016-03-31-1687.jpg

Where did you buy it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Wrecked after a busy day of it.
    Following products used
    2d wheel cleaner
    Turtle wax tyre dressing
    2d car shampoo
    2d claybar and lube
    2d tar remover