Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Gave the car a good was and clay today. Claying is very tedious I find. I applaud anyone who does it on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

A throughout de-tar and de-iron prior to claying, makes the chore a whole lot easier. And it becomes a little easier with experience....can do a good claying, with a claybar, in about 20-30 minutes on an average family sized car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I finally got off my rear and gave me car a spring clean
    Yesterday I tackled the clean. It was a good day for it as it was cloudy enough, but dry. I found a handy work bench out the front....

ikgKNqE3

I started with the usual two bucket wash with AG shampoo, detar with Carpro TarX (God that's good stuff, the tar flowed off). The detar was repeated (thanks to a stupid amount of tar on the car). Next was another wash followed with it being clayed with a claycloth and home made lube (water, APC and a good squirt of Fairy washing up liquid). It was washed again, dried with a Dry-me-Crazy and two coats of Collinite 845. Buffed by hand.

Wheels were Bilt Hamber Autowheels, detarred, rewashed, dried, AG SRP and two coats of AG extra gloss protection. Tyres was Orchard Tyre Care (I can't think of the right name right now). Wheel arches were AG Engine & Machine cleaner, and old pot scrubber then washed (hence the black bucket above).

Interior was Bilt Hamber Surfix (geez that's great tack!) and AG Fast Glass. It was also hoovered.

The results

MsnathDJ

uJH32T1b

Next on the list was a wash of my motorhome. That was the usual 2BM, dry, wheels & tyres and interior (I was away for a few days in it). After that was a brand new motorhome for a detail. We have found at home that a coat or two of Collinite makes it so much easier to wash later, especially the black streaks that plague coachbuilt motorhomes from water marks. It was the usual 2BM wash AG Shampoo, claycloth as above, washed again and a very thin coat of Collinite 845 applied. It was buffed to finish.

1nKrnuRR

sSIGQKjK

cr8VU3pC

Wheels, tyres, glass will all follow. The interior was done already with furniture polish.

Next on the list is an old Citroen AX GT door to learn machine polishing. That's the plan for tomorrow when it's supposed to be raining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

That's a fair amount of work Ian, fair play. Lovely finished products!

The OAC Tyre stuff is called Glitz.

That's a fair amount of work Ian, fair play. Lovely finished products!

The OAC Tyre stuff is called Glitz.

Thanks. I'm sitting on me arse here and I'm too lazy to go to the shed to check the bottle.

Edit, the second motorhome was finished today. The day isnt ong enough to do one car and two motorhomes!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭weekaizer

Started to wash the Avensis yesterday and finished today! snow foam and wash with fairy liquid to remove all protection.
    Detared and clayed followed by polish with medium pad and fast gloss menzerna Polish using a d/a.
    Today I finished by applying collinite 845.
    Tyres dressed, Windows cleaned with rainox and black trim treated with a chemical guys product. Forget the name but the car turned out like new!

Good work lads - all vehicles looking very well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Curran wrote: »
    A throughout de-tar and de-iron prior to claying, makes the chore a whole lot easier. And it becomes a little easier with experience....can do a good claying, with a claybar, in about 20-30 minutes on an average family sized car.

Done both, I ran out of tar x so had to use a different brand, so thats something I'll need to pick up soon. It was my first time to properly clay a car so hopefully next time I'm faster. I reckon it took me about 45 mins.

Tried to also use the Bilt Hamber finis wax that I got from you but I couldn't get the nack of it so I switched over to a spray on wax. To be fair waxing is the thing I looked into the least so maybe a bit more learning is required before I do it again.

Secret to waxing or sealant is to apply it in thin layers. Its easier to buff off then. Two thin layers is better than one layer that has been lashed on. Though what is hard to define, is what is and what isnt thin! :) There should be little effort to buff a thin layer....if you are having to work at it, then you need to go thinner the next time! ;)
    Sometimes it can be a bit hard to get the wax to spread nicely, and the slightest spritz of water, a misting at best, on the applicator, will help it transfer from the pot to applicator and from there to the paintwork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭tech

Today the A5 got a little clean up :)

20160429_090939.jpg
    20160429_090930.jpg
    20160429_090919.jpg
    20160429_090126.jpg
    20160429_090909.jpg
    20160429_085352.jpg
    20150926_111935.jpg
    20150904_194001.jpg
    20160506_144956.jpg
    20160506_150925.jpg
    20160506_150921.jpg
    20160506_154035.jpg
    20150926_120902.jpg
    20150926_120849.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

tech wrote: »

fantastic stuff.

have you any tips for cleaning the chrome exhaust please?

Fine Grade Steel Wool (0000 grade) and a metal polish if it heavily contaminated with carbon deposits. Followed by bringing up the final shine with metal polish on a microfiber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Ogogo

If I can be bold enough to ask a noob question ??? for a white car (golf) whats the best option for finish, one of the high tech coatings or a wax with repeat application on a regular basis?

Any recommendations for a specific product?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I too did an A5 in the lovely rain today, foamed, washed, de-tared, de-ironed, clayed and waxed.

IMG_20160507_100831_zpsess2t9yd.jpg

IMG_20160507_141239_zpsqzn7qapo.jpg

IMG_20160507_141226_zpsv7x4zvkm.jpg

IMG_20160507_141255_zps9iftkhgz.jpg

IMG_20160507_141232_zpsjzloiy0n.jpg

IMG_20160507_141247_zpsmkkhtknv.jpg

How the hell did you wax it in the rain? :P

Landsail tyres..................

• Advertisement

How the hell did you wax it in the rain? :P

Landsail tyres..................

Let's just say there was some odd looks in the Tesco multistorey :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Did you remove the rear diffuser thing to clean the exhaust?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭tech

ya!!!

Ogogo wrote: »
    If I can be bold enough to ask a noob question ??? for a white car (golf) whats the best option for finish, one of the high tech coatings or a wax with repeat application on a regular basis?

Any recommendations for a specific product?

Both options you mentioned are vastly different.
    The nano coating will be a lot more critical to the prep work done right or it won't perform as well as it should. Given that it's so durable, you need to be sure that you are 100% happy with the paintwork condition, because if you realise afterwards that there is defects, say swirls, the only way to remove the coating is by machine polishin. You'll have to get through the coating before you can get to correct the defect.

With a traditional wax or sealant while the prep is important, if it's not done quite right, it will perform quite well or its easy to remove to re-try if something didn't work out right.

Anything applied on a the paintwork after a decent decontamination / prep will look great. The de-iron step makes a really noticeable difference on white, as when the paint is fully cleansed, the white really pops.

There are so many factors when choosing what to go for; durability, appearance, easy of application and removal, price, etc. Waxes generally look best on darker colours. Sealants give a sharper or glassy look which is usually suited to lighter colours. Then would you rather something very simple to apply such as a spray sealant, spray on, buff off, walk away.

Specific products?
    Collinite 845 is a great all rounder for the price.
    Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax if you want something durable from a traditional wax
    CarPro Cquartz CQUK or Gtecniq if you wanted to go for the nano route
    CarPro Reload for a spray sealant

There are so many options!

Let's just say there was some odd looks in the Tesco multistorey :pac:

Fair play to you. Never give a crap who or what gives you weird looks. IMO it shows dedication and supplying a good service.

I did a rather lazy job today but the car only really had dust on it, no dirt or grit. I snowfoamed it and gave it a wipe-dowm with a mitt using the snowfoam as shampoo, rinsed it, removed the excess water with a Dry Me Crazy and applied a light coat of Gtechniq C2v3.

Having the Fusso on it made it a lot easier. Also did the wheels separately with Bilt Hamber AutoWheel first.

• Advertisement

I think I finally tried DA polishing, after annoying people here with loads of questions. I used the Argos one that was discussed on the forum earlier. I did swap the plate to a 5" one I got from Detailing Shed. Practice was on a spare Citroen AX GT door I had in the back of the shed.

I tried the top rear of the door first (nearest to the door lock) with a Hex-Logic Green pad and 3 blobs of Chemical Guys V36. Spreading the polish was at speed 2 and worked in at speed 5 with 3 to 4 passes of the machine. The residue was wiped off and then repeated with a Hex-Logic Black pad and Chemical Guys V38. I divided the door at the quarter window.

The top front of the door (nearest to the door hinge) was done with the same combo, but with 4 bigger blobs of polish and 4 to 5 passes of the machine, with more pressure on it. The verdict is the later method gave a better, deeper shine.

The bottom of the door wasn't done so a comparison could be made. The result is that Da wants his (black) car done that way.

lJi4m8FS

awgER5qJ

FscHONBa

I cleaned the pads with rinsing them with washing up liquid and I'll be throwing them into the washing machine along with the rest of the cleaning cloths (no fabric softener will be used)

What I learned is that it's easier than I thought, use more polish initially to "wet" the pad and another backing plate might be got as its probably easier to swap backing plates rather than pads on the plate. Da wants to use the DA to buff waxes now.

Fair play to you. Never give a crap who or what gives you weird looks. IMO it shows dedication and supplying a good service.

I did a rather lazy job today but the car only really had dust on it, no dirt or grit. I snowfoamed it and gave it a wipe-dowm with a mitt using the snowfoam as shampoo, rinsed it, removed the excess water with a Dry Me Crazy and applied a light coat of Gtechniq C2v3.

Having the Fusso on it made it a lot easier. Also did the wheels separately with Bilt Hamber AutoWheel first.

Sound :) there's really no point being in this business if the end result isn't decent or what was specified!

Very good Ian....I like your systematic approach to your practice! And it's good that you took learns away from it too; priming the pad before hand is important, and the value of having the options of various pad sizes, etc! Would rate that as a very successful dipping the toe in the water! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

ianobrien wrote: »
    I think I finally tried DA polishing, after annoying people here with loads of questions. I used the Argos one that was discussed on the forum earlier. I did swap the plate to a 5" one I got from Detailing Shed. Practice was on a spare Citroen AX GT door I had in the back of the shed.

I tried the top rear of the door first (nearest to the door lock) with a Hex-Logic Green pad and 3 blobs of Chemical Guys V36. Spreading the polish was at speed 2 and worked in at speed 5 with 3 to 4 passes of the machine. The residue was wiped off and then repeated with a Hex-Logic Black pad and Chemical Guys V38. I divided the door at the quarter window.

The top front of the door (nearest to the door hinge) was done with the same combo, but with 4 bigger blobs of polish and 4 to 5 passes of the machine, with more pressure on it. The verdict is the later method gave a better, deeper shine.

The bottom of the door wasn't done so a comparison could be made. The result is that Da wants his (black) car done that way.

I cleaned the pads with rinsing them with washing up liquid and I'll be throwing them into the washing machine along with the rest of the cleaning cloths (no fabric softener will be used)

What I learned is that it's easier than I thought, use more polish initially to "wet" the pad and another backing plate might be got as its probably easier to swap backing plates rather than pads on the plate. Da wants to use the DA to buff waxes now.

It is a good da for the price. Used mine again on friday to do one side of the car. Rain got in the way today. Have about ten hrs on the car a;ready

Thanks lads. I'm busy for the foreseeable future so the cars won't be attacked with the DA for a while. Now, does anybody want a half polished black left hand door for a Citroen AX GT? I've got one going here on a first come first served basis......

I see there are pad conditioners available to prime the pad before use. Does anybody use them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I need to find a panel to get the feel for the polisher.

Might help if I had some pads and stuff too. Ye might draw me up an essentials list sometime so I can place an order!

The main things really that I would be getting are a 5" backing plate, 3 pads, compounding, polishing and fine polish(jewelling). I'd go for Chemical Guys Orange, White and Black or Green, White and Black. Polish wise, Chemical Guys V32/34/36 range is excellent as is Menzerna's various compounds/polishes.

Can anyone recommend a reasonable paint depth gauge? Was looking at the Sealey TA091 as it's not too pricey.

I take it the hand stuff I bought recently isn't any good - P40 polish and Butterwax. Rats.

I take it the hand stuff I bought recently isn't any good - P40 polish and Butterwax. Rats.

P40 can be used on the Machine too, I just have no personal experience with it myself. I love Butterwax though, great shine and lasts a good while!

P40 can be used on the Machine too, I just have no personal experience with it myself. I love Butterwax though, great shine and lasts a good while!

Thats good so!

Yep did mine at Easter, still looking fresh!

• Advertisement

P40 can be used but it's not as effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

So I got my last order from detailingshed.com on Friday, on Foxhole's recommendation. It was .50 cal's glaze and their pentawax.

The finish is quite a lot better than before I must say, the beading from the pentawax is crazy, lets see how it lasts in the coming months!

385417.jpg

385422.jpg

Looking very well indeed! ;)

Looking very well indeed! ;)

Thanks mostly to yourselves :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Nice job and garden by the looks of it too :P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭MarkN

Pentawax beads for many many months. I've used it for around a year now and it's a great all rounder.

Hal1 wrote: »
    Nice job and garden by the looks of it too :P.

Tell that to my parents :)

Some garden! Is it 9 holes or 18? :) car looks class yb.

I remember watching a clip years ago about the most expensive car wash in the world before detailing was as mainstream as it is now. The guy did full detail jobs on all sorts of exotics, I think it was 5th gear.

Anyway, the wax he used was the most expensive wax, it was like the ear wax from a Brazilian dung Beatle or something. Anyway, he used to apply the wax by hand (no applicator or cloth)

Long story short, I did that tonight with the 845 and found it worked really well. Is this a done thing?:o

vintagevrs wrote: »

I remember watching a clip years ago about the most expensive car wash in the world before detailing was as mainstream as it is now. The guy did full detail jobs on all sorts of exotics, I think it was 5th gear.

Anyway, the wax he used was the most expensive wax, it was like the ear wax from a Brazilian dung Beatle or something. Anyway, he used to apply the wax by hand (no applocator or cloth)

Long story short, I did that tonight with the 845 and found it worked really well. Is this a done thing?:o

Thanks man :)

Did your layer not go on very thick?
    Never heard of doing that :)

• Advertisement

No it went on nice and thin, the heat from my hands kept it nice and runny. Came off a breeze. In fairness last time I did it, it was nearly freezing. It was a complete ball ache getting it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭vectra

vintagevrs wrote: »

Anyway, the wax he used was the most expensive wax, it was like the ear wax from a Brazilian dung Beatle or something. Anyway, he used to apply the wax by hand (no applocator or cloth)

That was Brazilian carnauba wax.
    Comes from trees and is hard.
    Hence the reason of application by hand to warm and soften it
    I think he used to charge 5 grand at the time.

As for 845.
    If I were to get technical about applying that, I would heat it up until it is like pure water and put a spray head on the bottle to apply a very light misting of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

And he uses a sponge on the car...

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

This paint correction on the passat is some saga :D

The car is used a lot so when its parked up for a few hours I have to wash, detar, clay, dry the panel I want to do. Then I DA that panel, which is taking serious work as its never been done and the passat paintwork is like glass. My e46 was a lot easier to DA from what I remember.

Anyway its enjoyable and the panels are coming up lovely. I'm getting more confident, I dont want to damage a panel but from what I've experienced unless I sat on the DA and left it in the same spot for 5 minutes it wont do any damage

Your E46 was likely to have been in better condition - the swirls wouldnt have been as deep, thus correction was quicker! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Ogogo

Both options you mentioned are vastly different.
    The nano coating will be a lot more critical to the prep work done right or it won't perform as well as it should. Given that it's so durable, you need to be sure that you are 100% happy with the paintwork condition, because if you realise afterwards that there is defects, say swirls, the only way to remove the coating is by machine polishin. You'll have to get through the coating before you can get to correct the defect.

With a traditional wax or sealant while the prep is important, if it's not done quite right, it will perform quite well or its easy to remove to re-try if something didn't work out right.

Anything applied on a the paintwork after a decent decontamination / prep will look great. The de-iron step makes a really noticeable difference on white, as when the paint is fully cleansed, the white really pops.

There are so many factors when choosing what to go for; durability, appearance, easy of application and removal, price, etc. Waxes generally look best on darker colours. Sealants give a sharper or glassy look which is usually suited to lighter colours. Then would you rather something very simple to apply such as a spray sealant, spray on, buff off, walk away.

Specific products?
    Collinite 845 is a great all rounder for the price.
    Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax if you want something durable from a traditional wax
    CarPro Cquartz CQUK or Gtecniq if you wanted to go for the nano route
    CarPro Reload for a spray sealant

There are so many options!

Thanks Curran, I just ordered some Collinite and iron-x etc there so I will give it a whirl and see how I get on.

Metallic black is near impossible for a weekender to get right. The paint would scratch if you looked at it the wrong way. The sun today shows any swirls. Still looks well but just will never be 100.

30bmij6.jpg

And.......relax :)

2ymf8k9.jpg

WOOOOOWWWW!!! Thats a fine looking cup of coffee!!

Meh, the car aint bad either! :p;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

Long overdue detail for this tomorrow hopefully..

• Advertisement
Advertisement