Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Not joking here but having a few beers and being lightheaded actually makes detailing more enjoyable. You're as loose as fvck and although it can be hard to summon the strength at times, it's quite a funny feeling :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Not joking here but having a few beers and being lightheaded actually makes detailing more enjoyable. You're as loose as fvck and although it can be hard to summon the strength at times, it's quite a funny feeling :D

Too right ended up trying the drink method over the weekend was a great combination sun, beer and cleaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

I got the replacement power washer so snow foamed to car. I than noticed the wax was stripped off the car. Well it looked like it?

Is there a way around using water that is filtered. Like the home filters but an out door one just to car washing to remove the live from the water

I got a bird bomb on my roof today and only noticed when I got home. It left a mark on the paint and quick detailer wasn't working to remove it so I used a microfibre cloth, a pea sized amount of Chemical Guys V32 polish and gently rubbed the mark and off it came in a few seconds.

No need to get the polishing machine out when that will do on its own. Not a bad idea to buy a bottle of polish for these little things regardless of whether or not you have a polishing machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

cena wrote: »
    I than noticed the wax was stripped off the car. Well it looked like it?

Is there a way around using water that is filtered. Like the home filters but an out door one just to car washing to remove the live from the water

What wax is on the car, and how long is it on? What do you think caused the wax to be stripped??

There are water filter systems available, to de-ionize water, such that you wouldnt even have to dry the car as the water would be so clear that there would be no contamination in it that would cause water spotting, but they are quite expensive bits of kit!

• Advertisement

Curran wrote: »
    What wax is on the car, and how long is it on? What do you think caused the wax to be stripped??

There are water filter systems available, to de-ionize water, such that you wouldnt even have to dry the car as the water would be so clear that there would be no contamination in it that would cause water spotting, but they are quite expensive bits of kit!

The 845. Hardly any beading on the car after washing it. I would have to say the alkaline based snow foam I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

cena wrote: »
    The 845. Hardly any beading on the car after washing it. I would have to say the alkaline based snow foam I have.

Did you rinse it enough?

vectra wrote: »
    Did you rinse it enough?

Power washed it down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Was bored at work so decided to give my steering wheel a bit of a clean, will do a better job in the future, makes a massive difference though!

IMG_20160520_182346_zpswuxqhj3h.jpg

Not half as shiny and feels much better now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Will the pooping every stop!

The area I normally clean cars has been hit by a squadron of birds in a Blitz like BOMBardment :pac: :eek:

Had to move all cleaning gear across to other side to clean car other night.
    IMG_20160515_205828.jpg
    IMG_20160515_205900.jpg
    IMG_20160515_220255.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The 3bm must have been some hoops on those birds :o.

Hal1 wrote: »
    The 3bm must have been some hoops on those birds :o.

1 For wheels. Tyres were desperate for scrubbing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

edburg wrote: »
    1 For wheels. Tyres were desperate for scrubbing :D

Tell us more about your car please. Is that a vxr nurburg edition or something ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

That Iron x snow foam your using ?

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Tell us more about your car please. Is that a vxr nurburg edition or something ?

Yes well OPC Nurburgring, its white has 6 wheels, engine, gearbox, brakes etc etc :pac::D

Not going to spam up thread with non detail stuff :D

That Iron x snow foam your using ?

No Autobrite Magifoam purple

Whats the delivery charge from Autobrite to here ? And has anyone ever used their Purple Rain ?

Whats the delivery charge from Autobrite to here ? And has anyone ever used their Purple Rain ?

£15 standard post which is unfortunate if your only buying small, but good if your like me and end up with handful of 5ltr drums ordered at same time.

Yes I have purple rain to and handful other bits and everything works as intended and does great job. Except maybe the verry berry wheel non acid cleaner, not 100% on that.

Interesting. I'll be over Birmingham next month and there store is only up the road in Staffordshire so I might pay them a visit if I end up renting a car.

Interesting. I'll be over Birmingham next month and there store is only up the road in Staffordshire so I might pay them a visit if I end up renting a car.

Bugger if I didn't know they were that close to a mates home otherwise I would dropped in few times over years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I got a bird bomb on my roof today and only noticed when I got home. It left a mark on the paint and quick detailer wasn't working to remove it so I used a microfibre cloth, a pea sized amount of Chemical Guys V32 polish and gently rubbed the mark and off it came in a few seconds.

No need to get the polishing machine out when that will do on its own. Not a bad idea to buy a bottle of polish for these little things regardless of whether or not you have a polishing machine.

That's fine for reasonably fresh stuff. If you leave it sit there it won't be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

That's fine for reasonably fresh stuff. If you leave it sit there it won't be enough.

Depends on the coating on the paint as well.
    I have had bird plops on my paint for days. Not a mark when I wash the car.
    CQUK seems to be doing a great job.

Better to have it and be able to try it than not have it and think to yourself "if only...."

Absolutely. Definitely worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Good clean today, perfect weather for it. Cloudy but dry so gave her a good wax after prep and wash.
    26925562460_df4f6e6a59_c.jpgBMW F11 by Tony, on Flickr
    27166683086_3bec6cb242_c.jpgBMW F11 by Tony, on Flickr
    27200455555_b737fef06a_c.jpgBMW F11 by Tony, on Flickr
    27166711326_1217468c4d_c.jpgBMW F11 by Tony, on Flickr
    26925563550_27c058547c_c.jpgBMW F11 by Tony, on Flickr

Exceptional work sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

Wailin wrote: »
    Good clean today, perfect weather for it. Cloudy but dry so gave her a good wax after prep and wash.

Excellent job! What wax did you use?

That's one shiny automobile. Good work.

leupold90 wrote: »
    Excellent job! What wax did you use?

Thanks lads. It's Autoglym high definition wax, carnauba wax I think. Went on well and came off without too much fuss.

• Advertisement

Is it still €60 for a 25ml tub?

Hal1 wrote: »
    Is it still €60 for a 25ml tub?

Can't remember what I paid for it, except it was bloody expensive. Think around 50-60 alright.

That was for a 150g tub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Halfords €55 and 3 for the price of two at the mo.

That was for a 150g tub.

Yeah, I knew it was a ridiculously small amount wasn't sure.

Anyone ever use the Dodo Juice Blue Velvet? Got a tub of that from detailing shed awhile back but haven't used it yet. Heard it's quiet hard and tough to spread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Richard88

Nice job. Is that jet black or sapphire black? Hard to tell with the shine!

Richard88 wrote: »
    Nice job. Is that jet black or sapphire black? Hard to tell with the shine!

It's actually carbon black, much more obvious in sunlight.

Anyone ever use the Dodo Juice Blue Velvet? Got a tub of that from detailing shed awhile back but haven't used it yet. Heard it's quiet hard and tough to spread?

A friend of mine has it, spreads easy and buffs off easy but it doesn't seem to hold up well at all!

It will look very well on the Carbon Black, as its specifically designed with dark colours in mind. I've applied it to a Carbon Black E60 in the past, and it looked extremely well; but cant comment on how well it lasted.

Dodo Juice Blue Velvet is a hard paste wax, and one of the slight drawbacks to hard paste waxes is that they can be difficult to apply. To help spread it, warming it up will help...how do you do that? Any way that you can passively warm it; say its a warm day, leave the pot sitting in the car. It doesnt need to be crazy warm, but a little will help spreading.

FN; by any chance has your friend got Dodo Juice Purple Haze; its essentially like Blue Velvet, but is the soft paste wax - which would be easy to apply and buff, and wouldnt have fantastic durability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Did a bit of a job on Monday, one pass with carpro essence with a rotary.
    Carpro dlux on bumper and trim plastics.

54FCFBF7-AF6B-405C-B9EC-5D23C0FAE118_zpshjrvgbae.jpg

• Advertisement

FN; by any chance has your friend got Dodo Juice Purple Haze; its essentially like Blue Velvet, but is the soft paste wax - which would be easy to apply and buff, and wouldnt have fantastic durability.

Nope, definitely Blue Velvet! Beading seems to disappear after 2/3 washes, it's very weird!

Strange - and Im sure you've taken a look through his products for the wash routine!?? So that is strange!
    Would he be one to store the products indoors away from changes in temp?

Strange - and Im sure you've taken a look through his products for the wash routine!?? So that is strange!
    Would he be one to store the products indoors away from changes in temp?

I actually wash his car for him most of the time :pac: It's very strange to be honest!

I got a hard paste wax, think its 3D? Old one for sure. But I found it best to resort to using hands to get best spread to it.

Cleaned hands thoroughly and put a little in hands rub them together for heat and rub car up a bit.

edburg wrote: »
    I got a hard paste wax, think its 3D? Old one for sure. But I found it best to resort to using hands to get best spread to it.

Cleaned hands thoroughly and put a little in hands rub them together for heat and rub car up a bit.

3M maybe? Meant to be very decent! Must try the aul hand waxing method, see if it's all what it's cracked up to be :p

3M maybe? Meant to be very decent! Must try the aul hand waxing method, see if it's all what it's cracked up to be :p

Sure its 3D something on label about only bit that hasn't completely faded away on cover, its blue and it was free with something I bought years ago.

Is actually a good finish on dark grey and black paints on fabia and insignia I used it on. Hard to say with astra white, hard to say with a lot on the astra lol

Bet fallout remover looks good on the Astra! :D:p

Absolutely :D

Decided to dig it out for a look, lovely looking stuff that smells like old play doh I used play with back in 80's, why I kept it most likely hahaha: D

.IMG_20160525_171953.jpg

IMG_20160525_172123.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Wheel off job again today. Wash, iron x, wash, tar x, wash and a coat of wheel guard and some gel for the tyres.

ncma9l.jpg

Curran, is tar x safe on chrome? For the exhaust tips? Is wheel guard a good idea for the exhausts too? They get caked very quickly.

Cheers

Must order more stuff soon too, ran out of those car pro products today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement