Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Sorry, very new to the Deatiling world.

Whats the pink stuff you all use to clean the Alloys?

Going to attack my car this weekend, never gave her a clay bar treatment so should get some nice before and after shots.

It's basically a fall out remover. Such as iron particles within brake dust etc. Products such as Bilt Hamber Korrosol or Iron-X will give you this purple 'bleed' effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The product specific to alloy wheels is Bilt Hamber AutoWheel. Available on you-know-where :D

Its big brother Korrosol is Bilt Hamber's version of Iron-X/Iron Cleanse etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭DoctorStrange

After clay and de-iron and some 845

IMG_20160826_151841_zps82hbt700.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Tried out the snow foam today :P

3SImobP.jpg

AbiYVZq.jpg

WEzUu17.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I dunno, I'd be getting onto curran again, don't think snowfoam should shrink the car to half its size......

• Advertisement

I dunno, I'd be getting onto curran again, don't think snowfoam should shrink the car to half its size......

LOL :D

I'm tellin' ya, this whole detailing thing is a massive robbery :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Picked up power wash today as well as the karcher foam lance and some autoglym the wax.
    Just tested the foam lance and it's excellent for the price. Only €42.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

SP are you using BH Auto Foam? If so how do you find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Blazer wrote: »
    Picked up power wash today as well as the karcher foam lance and some autoglym the wax.
    Just tested the foam lance and it's excellent for the price. Only €42.

I literally had the Karcher foam lance in my hand this evening but just felt it wasnt €35 worth...seeing that foam makes me think otherwise!

• Advertisement

SP are you using BH Auto Foam? If so how do you find it.

Yeah, just got it today. Nice foaming from it, seems to do the job well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Just tested the foam lance and it's excellent for the price. Only 42.

I literally had the Karcher foam lance in my hand this evening but just felt it wasnt 35 worth...seeing that foam makes me think otherwise!

Try B&Q, or Woodies. I am sure I didn't pay 35 for mine.

I literally had the Karcher foam lance in my hand this evening but just felt it wasnt €35 worth...seeing that foam makes me think otherwise!

It's worth it alright. I think I paid €50 or so for the 3rd party one years ago but the karcher one is much better.
    There's two types, fj6 and fj10 which has a bigger container and is better made for the sake of €7 or something.

*Kol* wrote: »
    Try B&Q, or Woodies. I am sure I didn't pay 35 for mine.

Just checked Woodies, €24.99. Much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Gave the car a wash first Iv had time to do myself in good while felt good to do it myself!
    2bm and the Fusso still working well after couple months but I topped it up with DnD special sauce quick detailer.
    image_zps4nvtij57.jpeg
    image_zpsq39pnnra.jpeg
    image_zpsy4kxiro0.jpeg

I used the Karcher foam on my car and I wouldn't recommend it if you've already waxed your car. It stripped the wax clean off mine but since I'm planning to do a full detail next weekend it doesn't bother me.

I used the Karcher foam on my car and I wouldn't recommend it if you've already waxed your car. It stripped the wax clean off mine but since I'm planning to do a full detail next weekend it doesn't bother me.

Maybe a silly question but that not due to the shampoo you used rather then the lance?

Maybe a silly question but that not due to the shampoo you used rather then the lance?

I meant the karcher car foam that comes with the lance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Myself and Da spent a few days at his motorhome. The process was
    • Bilt Hamber auto-foam (roof included) and rinsed
    • 2BM wash and wash mit
    • Dried with the usual Dry-me-Crazy
    • Cab was detarred (Tar-X) and washed again.
    • Clayed with a clay cloth and home made lubricant of Fairy Liquid and APC.
    • Rinsed and dried again
    • Two coats of Collinite 845 and buffed with a polisher with a Crazy-Pile "attached" (two days between coats). This includes to luton (and thats fun to do)
    • Windows were AG fast glass
    • Plastics were AG bumper gel
    • Wheels were Bilt Hamber Autowheels, dried and several coats of AG EGP (I was using it up to get rid of it).
    • Tyres were Bilt Hamber Surfix, rinsed, dried and Orchard Glitz tyre dressing (buffed to tone down the shine)

The results (crap photos I know as I can't get back far enough to take a complete one and the van is in the shade)

rps20160828_190240_983.jpg

rps20160828_190202_972.jpg

rps20160828_190057_470.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

ianobrien wrote: »
    Myself and Da spent a few days at his motorhome. The process was
    • Bilt Hamber auto-foam (roof included) and rinsed
    • 2BM wash and wash mit
    • Dried with the usual Dry-me-Crazy
    • Cab was detarred (Tar-X) and washed again.
    • Clayed with a clay cloth and home made lubricant of Fairy Liquid and APC.
    • Rinsed and dried again
    • Two coats of Collinite 845 and buffed with a polisher with a Crazy-Pile "attached" (two days between coats). This includes to luton (and thats fun to do)
    • Windows were AG fast glass
    • Plastics were AG bumper gel
    • Wheels were Bilt Hamber Autowheels, dried and several coats of AG EGP (I was using it up to get rid of it).
    • Tyres were Bilt Hamber Surfix, rinsed, dried and Orchard Glitz tyre dressing (buffed to tone down the shine)

The results (crap photos I know as I can't get back far enough to take a complete one and the van is in the shade)

I'm surprised you still have the ability to type:D

A mammoth job on a beast of a machine. Looks great!

• Advertisement

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I'm surprised you still have the ability to type:D

A mammoth job on a beast of a machine. Looks great!

The worst thing is that my one is next for the same treatment and I'll be doing it on my own.........

Guys, my eyes are open now.

I’ve never seen how dirty my car actually is / was until I followed your advice. At the weekend I gave it a good touchless pre-wash followed by a good touch wash and even though at that point the car looked nice and clean to the layman I was disgusted by the extent of the fallout contamination and overall roughness of the body.

I halted proceedings there because I need that fallout remover ASAP before continuing (ordered from DetailingShed! This morning). Being the impatient man that I ma I had to try out the clay bar to see if it lives up to the hype, so I just did one panel and well, it was like a religious experience to be honest. I have the same panel a compound treatment and I was in awe of that reflection (haven’t even waxed it yet!!).

Once I get the fallout I’ll get the of the steps done and get some pics up. I’m now obsessed so thanks for that everyone…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I valeted my moms car, a country car at that so caked in tar and cow sh1te. All door jams cleaned with brush and APC, brushed moss out from around windows, window seals, car badges, door handles, wash, de tar and polish. Cleared windscreen drain holes in scuttle and cleaned moss encrusted wipers.

She's not a car person so hardly noticed. :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I know the feeling....

"Don't be fussy about it"
    "It looks grand, thanks"

My mother was the same, "ah it's clean enough". Now she gives out to Da for not using the Dry-me-Crazy after he washes his car and for not washing the door jams.......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Got this guy from Amazon last week ahead of my first detail whenever I get the appropriate evening...

£14.34 so just under €17 if your overall order is above £25 and free shipping

slave1 wrote: »
    Got this guy from Amazon last week ahead of my first detail whenever I get the appropriate evening...

£14.34 so just under €17 if your overall order is above £25 and free shipping

Brilliant, it's on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Got cracking on the polishing!

IMG_20160830_112345_zpsgouu2i84.jpg

IMG_20160830_111628_zpsfcmrqnwj.jpg

IMG_20160830_111632_zpskoos8u6q.jpg

IMG_20160830_111707_zps4ttsu5os.jpg

IMG_20160830_111719_zpsvkrqocsh.jpg

IMG_20160830_111731_zpsd15yofyx.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Bring it back to the owner to see their reaction of how you cheated them out of a few hundred quid when you bought it! :D :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Curran wrote: »
    Bring it back to the owner to see their reaction of how you cheated them out of a few hundred quid when you bought it! :D :P

Ah, That would be lousy..
    Go on.. Do it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Drive past house nice n slow with big grin on face style lol

Top work FN!! Needs C4 though. That trim is now sticking out a mile!

Top work FN!! Needs C4 though. That trim is now sticking out a mile!

Yeah I have it waiting to go, C4, headlights, chrome trim need a serious sanding and polishing and the glass needs a deep clean too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

That e39 touring is looking fantastic now FN. Impressive turnaround!
    How's the interior looking?

high horse wrote: »
    That e39 touring is looking fantastic now FN. Impressive turnaround!
    How's the interior looking?

Cheers! The interior is bad ish but nothing a clean can't sort, small bits of mould, small bit dirty leather and just dirty plastics all around really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Just looked up to see what C4 is after reading above post , £23!!!!, it cant be worth that ? why is everything to do with car detailing so bloody expensive !
    anything good but cheaper to bring back black exterior car trim ?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Just looked up to see what C4 is after reading above post , £23!!!!, it cant be worth that ? why is everything to do with car detailing so bloody expensive !
    anything good but cheaper to bring back black exterior car trim ?

Believe me it's worth it, last two to three years and properly brings it back to factory black, others are only a temporary fix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Believe me it's worth it, last two to three years and properly brings it back to factory black, others are only a temporary fix!

It looks a tiny bottle ?

Say for example, 12 quid for a temporary fix that has to be applied every few washes or 23 quid for a semi-permanent fix. The time saved in re-application alone, would be worth many times the difference.

There are plenty of other things you can use to revive the look temporarily...peanut butter for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Say for example, 12 quid for a temporary fix that has to be applied every few washes or 23 quid for a semi-permanent fix. The time saved in re-application alone, would be worth many times the difference.

With Brexit making ordering from UK wholesalers cheaper, are their any plans to launch it on the Irish market? :cool:

It looks a tiny bottle ?

Could try a marker pen :D

As said cheap stuff will need reapplying every week and most likely need 5+ bottles in time the ceramic coat wear's off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

A heat gun works too but you need to be careful with it.

It looks a tiny bottle ?

You'll be surprised how little you need. As with all Gtechniq products, a little goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Spike Witwicky

So i decided to bite the bullet and get a snowfoam lance. Big thanks to D&D Detailing for the quick delivery and free packet of Haribo :D
    Just gave the lance a quick go. Didnt do anything after that as it started raining

ca77447d-436b-49d9-8eb2-5634250077df_zpsjnyhfuno.jpg

You know, it took me a while to see the logic of this. Now I'm replacing some of the fixes with the permanent cures when the bottles run out.

Finally, people see sense!! :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭AutoMan79

Today I came across something strange on rear bumper of my MK7 while was cleaning it. It looks like three dents but they were pushed from inside....

I really can't figure it out how it happened.

See pic guys

AutoMan79 wrote: »
    Today I came across something strange on rear bumper of my MK7 while was cleaning it. It looks like three dents but they were pushed from inside....

I really can't figure it out how it happened.

See pic guys

Maybe something pushed on bumper and the supporting stuff behind has caused it. Different though.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭AutoMan79

edburg wrote: »
    Maybe something pushed on bumper and the supporting stuff behind has caused it. Different though.

Could be..will try to investigate a bit more...it's really annoying :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement