Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Event] HoTW Kilkee - 29/06/2013

Options
  • 25-06-2013 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It's nearly upon us. So who is in? I know a few folks on here are doing it. Looking forward to seeing how Fazz goes against Kevin Thornton and Gavin Noble.

Anyone know if Owen Cummins is back to where he was before his injuries?

Are HuffnPuff and DaveR1 in?

Should be a cracking race.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

I am in, but you won't know me. I am with galway tri club.

Bit of newbie on boards, lurking for good while, only posting now.

I am looking forward to my first HOTW, been in triathlon since 2007 and first time to race it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Seeing as Limerick haven't put up entry list just yet its not confirmed but afaik main contenders as follows in a stacked field:

- Gavin Noble
    - Owen Cummins
    - Kevin Thornton
    - Colm Turner
    - Mark Horan
    - Trevor Woods
    - Rory Sexton
    - David Richardson
    - Shane Scully a maybe but recovering from op
    - Peter Kern
    - Bjorn?
    - Paul Carroll?
    - Mark Nolan?

Women's Field also looking competitive:
    - Jen Duffy
    - Joyce Wolfe
    - Anna Crooks
    - Katie Cooke
    - Andree Walkin
    - Marie Boland
    - Jennifer O'Connell
    - Rachel Clancy
    - Kim Hickey

No doubt a couple juniors in too, and others not listed above but competitive.

Safe to say its prob the most competitive field yet this season.

Looking like some epic battles and close results likely.

Looking forward to it myself.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Anyone know if Owen Cummins is back to where he was before his injuries?

Raced Windsor British Super Series last week, had a fish like swim and was in good shape before mechanical issues on bike I believe (stuck in gear).
    Still ran a good race after but result compromised.

Looks in good shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Safe to say that with that many contenders there's no chance of me troubling the podium ;)

My first HOTW and a fair few from the club going down to it. weather forecast isn't the best at the moment (is it ever?)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i was injured when sign ups came for this so didn't sign up, would have been my first HOTW (and first olympic) so would have just been focused on getting around, regretting now that i didn't just sign up anyway.

I'm marshalling at it instead, will be at registration on Friday night and will be checking in bikes/in transition on Saturday so any of you lot doing it feel free to say hi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

I'm in , not sure why but I am in : I am as anxious as an Anglo Irish banker at the moment !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

I'm in myself. 3rd time in 4 years for me. Love it. I think I will be employing my relaxed attitude about it like I did last year as it served me well, however I won't be repeating last years performance - it has just come 3/4 weeks too early. Still though, I wouldn't miss it for the world :)

That is some field! Of course Fazz you yourself should be on that list. The race to get on the podium will be a serious one.

You will probably bump into me in The Pantry, Kilkee for the traditional pre race coffee :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Marshalling on the bike route.
    Big crowd from nenagh competing. Don't think Shane Scully is competing and if he is it will not be in contention for winning considering how soon it is since surgery.
    Looking forward to being down in Kilkee for first HOTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Am in also. Was Pulse tri's 10 yr anniversary last week so we have 85 athletes signed up and racing..going to be some party :D

PS If u dont recognise me ill be the guy with the pimped out bike ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

PS If u dont recognise me ill be the guy with the pimped out bike ;)

not after i check it in..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Fazz wrote: »

- Gavin Noble
    - Owen Cummins
    - Kevin Thornton
    - Colm Turner
    - Mark Horan
    - Trevor Woods
    - Rory Sexton
    - David Richardson
    - Shane Scully a maybe but recovering from op
    - Peter Kern
    - Bjorn?
    - Paul Carroll?
    - Mark Nolan?

Two of those maybe's are doing it, Bjorn (good form from last weekend's evidence) and Shane according to his latest blog entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bombidal

Is Bryan Keane doing it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

According to Mr Cranium over on weather it looks like a cracking weekend and I'd hold his forecast in fairly high regard. My first time in Kilkee, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dave04

Eleventh year out of twelve for me ! my very first triathlon back in 2002 and mesmerised by the place since , postal entry back then around 100 in the
    water ! how things have changed. Not bad for a Welshman living in Kilkenny.
    Have lobsters ordered from fish shop in carrigaholt , Barbie after , Hopefully celebrating lions win !! Good luck everyone.No better tri anywhere imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

Best of luck to everyone at this one. It will be a cracker of a race. My money would be on Noble to win but he will have to dig deep to beat Kevin Thornton, with Owen Cummins not far behind.

Think Rory Sexton is part of a relay team with Aaron O'Brien (their focus is TriAthlone the following week)

I will be on the starting line too and I have got my excuses in early! Top 20 is probably the best I can hope for. My brother is going to do it too - he was an animal back in the day, but this is his first triathlon in nearly 10 years so, like myself, it will take him a few weeks to get some form back. He will be hoping for a top 20 as well.

If I couldn't race it I would still head down to it to watch. Great race. Great organising. Great host club. Great night out afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck to everyone at this one. It will be a cracker of a race. My money would be on Noble to win but he will have to dig deep to beat Kevin Thornton, with Owen Cummins not far behind.

Think Rory Sexton is part of a relay team with Aaron O'Brien (their focus is TriAthlone the following week)

I will be on the starting line too and I have got my excuses in early! Top 20 is probably the best I can hope for. My brother is going to do it too - he was an animal back in the day, but this is his first triathlon in nearly 10 years so, like myself, it will take him a few weeks to get some form back. He will be hoping for a top 20 as well.

If I couldn't race it I would still head down to it to watch. Great race. Great organising. Great host club. Great night out afterwards.

Great to hear you're back racing. All the best for the rest of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

I'll be participating too... Built for comfort not for speed.

You'd think the Lions would do the decent thing and put back kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭NorthernRaider

I know that Bryan Keane used a road bike last year, but I wonder will Gavin Noble this year, given how big a threat Kevin Thornton could be! Would be interesting to see a true apples to apples comparison of professional and amateur.

Huffn'Puff, amidst all those excuses, you neglect to mention your impressive bike exploits in A2 races, you sly dog! Hope you go well anyway!

Bryan Keane not racing as i think he starts at Kitzbuhel in 2 weeks so too close I imagine.

Owen Cummins not racing now apparently according to HOTW fb.

And you can be sure Gavin will be on his new Shiv.

Provisional entry list is up but subject to changes.
    http://www.limericktriathlon.com/drupal/?q=content/race-briefing-documents

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

I know that Bryan Keane used a road bike last year, but I wonder will Gavin Noble this year, given how big a threat Kevin Thornton could be! Would be interesting to see a true apples to apples comparison of professional and amateur.

Huffn'Puff, amidst all those excuses, you neglect to mention your impressive bike exploits in A2 races, you sly dog! Hope you go well anyway!

Ha, not sure if what I did on the bike this year deserves much praise to be honest. Especially when you see how well the likes of Bryan McCrystal did at the Rás and Gavin Noble at Rás Dun na nGall. I am miles behind that standard.

Gavin is not long back from injury so it wouldn't really be a true comparision anyway (just like Bryan Keane at Kilkee last year).

I went to Kilkee yesterday to do the course, just to make sure I could manage it without hurting myself. Conditions were great. Got through it well enough - probably scraped under the 2:30 mark. That's a long way off the probable 2:05 time that I reckon will be needed to win this year - I think that will be a new, new course record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

Fazz wrote: »
    Bryan Keane not racing as i think he starts at Kitzbuhel in 2 weeks so too close I imagine.

Owen Cummins not racing now apparently according to HOTW fb.

And you can be sure Gavin will be on his new Shiv.

Provisional entry list is up but subject to changes.
    http://www.limericktriathlon.com/drupal/?q=content/race-briefing-documents

he is racing in holland I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

A lovely red fleece jacket with a hood this yr;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Balls I had heard it was a jacket, was hoping it was a cycling jacket and not a casual one

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Red?

Don't want it. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Red?

Don't want it. :mad:

with a white and blue logo.................i'm looking here and i think the hood can be removed.

1/10 Noble
    11/2 the field

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Best of luck all the boards crew doing this. Great race. Embrace the pain on the Dunlicky hill and empty the tank. No better reward on this course. Stacked field so should be exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

bombidal wrote: »
    1/10 Noble
    11/2 the field

its more a question how long gav will stop at an aid station to have a chat with the marshalls. What people forget is how he was crusing last year at dublin tri just doing enough to win.
    And stephen was in great shape last year.
    Its another level gav bryan and aileen operate at when healthy and going flat out.

peter kern wrote: »
    its more a question how long gav will stop at an aid station to have a chat with the marshalls. What people forget is how he was crusing last year at dublin tri just doing enough to win.
    Its another level gav bryan and aileen operate at when healthy and going flat out.

Predicting the podiums... That's a harder task I'd imagine...you willing to give it a go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

peter kern wrote: »

Is he fully healthy? I thought he's only back running a couple of months. Those couple of months probably have him way ahead of anyone else run wise mind you. :D

Advertisement