Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Melting condensation traps on oil boilers

• 25-06-2013 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, Just trowing a question out there. Have many of you come across the condensation traps/ or pipe, melting off Firebird condensing oil boilers. I've had to replace at least 10 in the last year. Boilers got sutty, hence to high a tempature at second stage of boiler and the plastic (new type) trap melting off and then releasing dangerous fumes at bottom of boiler. Or the pipe work melting of the old type swan neck metal trap due to no ball/float fitted or not in position, ie wasn't checked that it hadn't moved when boiler was installed. That's why I always recommend a Co2 alarm + smoke alarms with indoor boilers, and they have saved a few potental fires/ deaths. Thank's.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Old types 'swan neck' should be replaced on service visits (recommended by FB)

I have never seen one melt, no, but always possible as their position on the boiler, same is possible with plastic flues too! (some manufacturers even fit overheat stats for the flue) Why did the boilers soot? Have had a few sootups on the enviromax, but never trap damage, must have been pretty badly sooted

Assume you meant CO alarms. New building regs part J require them with any open flues appliance (never understood why it wasn't room sealed too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Maybe its due to so many firebirds in Cork that I do. Again back to bad or no service and the bloke in the pub telling them to just clean the photocell and all will be grand!!
    I'll pm you about your idea about a lobby group .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

I've come across this on many occasions. Even seen poc's coming out the condensate pipe & a couple with completely melted traps.
    Causes have been numerous, from poorly commissioned to over-sized to poorly located to under-sized circulating pumps with long pipe run from garage to house.

How come every other make that I come across, Grant,Warmflow,Worchestor and Geminox have the condensation drain after the second heat exchanger which is the coolest part of the appliance before the chimney, not before the second heat exchanger which is obviously a hotter position in the Firebird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Correct but that is their "patented" design.
    IMHO they should discontinue the range & re-design to eliminate the upside down boiler.

• Advertisement

shane0007 wrote: »
    Correct but that is their "patented" design.
    IMHO they should discontinue the range & re-design to eliminate the upside down boiler.

Or at least tilt the second heat exchanger to the back and have the condensation drain after the condensing section at the rear.

Advertisement