Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why...

Options
  • 25-06-2013 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

...do so many Cork people insist on calling the "South Ring" the "South Link" !?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

kcb wrote: »
    ...do so many Cork people insist on calling the "South Ring" the "South Link" !?

very good question and I've been guilty of it myself until a local informed me the 'link' part only refers to the road between the Kinsale Rd. Roundabout to the service station just off Anglesea St.

Maybe people just didn't realise there is a difference between the two, I know I didn't until that moment of correction :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Why........does it matter. People call cork the real capitol and only jackeens have a problem with that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Was it not called that at the beginning of time itself! Cant say I have a clue I call it the south link all the time, I just think I was told that was the name so that was it

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If someone said to me " I'll be there in 5 mins im just on the Link " I'd know what they were saying, same as if the said the South Ring road, although must people just call it the Link that I know of.

Same way the O2 will always be the Point, or Aviva/ Lansdowne road, people just get set in their ways at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Its just the way it is, i always call itthe lik too and I know its called the link. In fact if i called it the south ring people from Cork may not know hwat I am on about! Its just a Localism:

lo·cal·ism

a. A local linguistic feature.
    b. A local custom or peculiarity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I guess, for the same reason they call Bishop Lucey Park the Peace Park...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Milly33 wrote: »
    Was it not called that at the beginning of time itself! Cant say I have a clue I call it the south link all the time, I just think I was told that was the name so that was it

Somebody somewhere way back must have mistakenly called it "The Link" alright and it has taken off, as you hear it on Traffic reports on the radio etc. aswell as just general public !

@who_me - Good point about The Peace Park!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

.red. wrote: »
    Why........does it matter. People call cork the real capitol and only jackeens have a problem with that!!

I've no problem with that. If it makes ye happy!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Same way the O2 will always be the Point, or Aviva/ Lansdowne road, people just get set in their ways at times.

The Cork Examiner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

the same happens on the back/main douglas road, south douglas road...etc

people just go with what they grew up with rather than what it actually is, like the way some people still call Tesco's Quinsworth.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

You're right but the roads going towards Douglas/Mahon & Wilton/Bishopstown are still referred to as the "Link" by most people.

As said, its just what people are used to at this stage really.

LOL at Quinnsworth, now thats a blast from the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

The 'Link' (South City Link) was the first to be built, with the South Ring being built in phases thereafter, so Cork people probably just saw the South Ring as an extension of the the Link and called it such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I call it the 'South Ring Linky Dinky Dee by the Lee'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,027 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

who_me wrote: »
    I guess, for the same reason they call Bishop Lucey Park the Peace Park...

That's just wrong - the Peace Park is in a different location. Not the case of there being two different names for the same park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

evilivor wrote: »
    The Cork Examiner.

The Penny Liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

TINA1984 wrote: »
    The 'Link' (South City Link) was the first to be built, with the South Ring being built in phases thereafter, so Cork people probably just saw the South Ring as an extension of the the Link and called it such.

That's about the best explanation I have heard so far! Fair play.

Although it's no excuse for RedFM and co. getting it wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

That's just wrong - the Peace Park is in a different location. Not the case of there being two different names for the same park.

It's the same thing - people wrongly using the name of a nearby place (Peace Park instead of Bishop Lucey Park/South Link Rd. instead of South Ring Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,027 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

who_me wrote: »
    It's the same thing - people wrongly using the name of a nearby place (Peace Park instead of Bishop Lucey Park/South Link Rd. instead of South Ring Rd.

Ah, yeah. I get you now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

That's correct and that's how we refer to it at work, The N20 from Carroll's Quay up to Blackpool is actually the North City Link..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

Why do so many Dublin people call Dublin "the town"?

Advertisement