Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gáais pre-pay meter

Options
  • 25-06-2013 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

my daughter is having a bord gais prepay meter installed but before they install one they want a letter from the local authority housing office for permission, the council are chargeing her 150euros , they said its for uninstallation fees if she ever wants it removed, is this the norm ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

My mom got one in to her counsil house, it wasnt bord gais it was pre-pay power and they didnt look for any letter, no issues at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Accomodation & Property forum, better suited there I think.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Unbelievable. I assume that your daughter is in council housing because she can't afford a mortgage??? Yet they want her to pay €150 for a piece of paper. Ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

That's not right, OP.
    When I moved into my council home, I wanted a pre-pay meter. Bord Gais said I would need a letter of permission from the council which they sent no problem. They didn't ask for any money at all.
    I sent the letter of permission into Bord Gais and got my meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It sounds logical, the council own the house and would have to pay to convert the meter back to a billed one for the next tennant, makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its standard practice now- it used be the case that a council tenant could get permission and off they went- however, Bord Gais, Airtricity and other suppliers have had issues with landlords and councils wanting the meters removed at the end of tenancies, and so they charge this fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 eileenmac

since i posted the comment i have approached the local council again and they have told me they will return the 150 euros as bord gais dont ask for an uninstallation fee, so thats a relief !

Advertisement